Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > I wonder what is on the Mittster's tax return that he does not want u      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Neopoli
Msg: 26
I wonder what is on the Mittster's tax return that he does not want us to see?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

So you mean all Obama had to do with the nut-jobs where stomping their feet with regards to his birth-certificate was say that Bush used the executive privilege 6 times.

No, no birth certificate, no Bush. Only comparing presidential behavior of Obama & Romney noting the similar circumstances pertaining to the release of information pertaining to these 2 guys running for president in 2012 , & how someone here wants different rules to apply to the different parties it seems. Its not that complicated.

Even if we use the birth certificate example, , then we have some waiting to do as far as Obama's timeline fulfilling that request. Using this timeline example, Romney's tax records wont be released until mid/late 2014.
 cotter
Msg: 27
view profile
History
I wonder what is on the Mittster's tax return that he does not want us to see?
Posted: 8/15/2012 3:35:48 PM
How about if we really use comparable situations.

When did Candidate Obama release his tax information when running for POTUS and how many years did he release?
Answer:
Before the Democratic primary was decided, then-Sen. Barack Obama released seven years of tax returns, pressuring his challenger to do the same in March 2008.

Republican candidate John McCain released two years of tax returns for the years of 2006 and 2007 in April 2008, less than a month after Mr. Obama.

When did Candidate Romney release his tax information when running for POTUS and how many years did he release?

Answer:
?????????????????????????????
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/08/romney-campaign-requested-several-years-of-tax-returns-of-vp-contenders/
Aug 12, 2012 8:45am
Romney Campaign Requested ‘Several’ Years of Tax Returns of VP Contenders

CHARLOTTE — Mitt Romney requested “several” years of tax returns from his potential running mates, a senior adviser to the candidate said Saturday, suggesting that those considered for the ticket may have been required to reveal more financial documents that the candidate himself.

In a briefing with reporters in Virginia Saturday, senior adviser Beth Myers, who was charged with headed the vice president selection process, declined to specify exactly how many years of tax returns were required, saying only that “several” were requested.

Several, by definition, implies more than two years.

Tim Pawlenty told George Stephanopoulos on “This Week” this morning that he gave “several” years of tax returns to Mitt Romney during the vice presidential vetting process. Pawlenty said he didn’t remember the exact number of years. He later said he gave Romney a “bunch” of tax returns.

When pressed about what “several” meant, Pawlenty said “We don’t get into the details of the vetting process.”

Romney, who has been under intense pressure to release more of his own tax returns by both Democrats and members of his own party, has so far released his 2010 returns and an estimate for his 2011 returns.

The campaign has said that the full 2011 returns will be released sometime before the November election.

When asked why he does not put the criticism to rest and just release more of his tax returns, Romney has said that no matter how many he decided to make public, there will always be a call to give more.

And while Romney’s own father, George Romney, released 12 years of tax returns during his bid for the presidency, the candidate today cites Sen. John McCain as the one who set the precedent to release just two years.
 Neopoli
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/16/2012 7:47:53 AM
Since us Democrats still control the Senate, why dont we just form a Senate committee & subpoena the withheld tax returns, like the House did concerning withheld Eric Holder documents?

Obama surely would not use his political clout & invoke executive privilege to try to stop it. We will then see exactly how much political clout Romney has, because, like Eric Holder, if somebody wants you to release records/information that you dont want to release, just don't do it!!! If you are then legally forced, use your political clout!!!
 cotter
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2012 3:50:13 PM

While there may be similarities, they are far from the same thing!
Message 44...
LMAO ...
Even though it has been appropriately pointed out, you're still trying to compare two very unlike things. Good luck with that, but this will be the last post from me to respond to such nonsense ...

OT ...
I have a feeling Lawrence O'Donnell is onto something ... he brought up an IRS amnesty program regarding foreign bank accounts, and asked if Romney was involved in the program and didn’t report it, if it means he has committed a felony. Tax attorney Jeremy Temkin said it would have to be demonstrated that it was not done “willfully,” and the government would have to prove that one knew they had “an obligation to report” in that instance.

Is there any question that a lying weasel like Romney would not willfully do something like that? Is there any question that a lying weasel like Romney really wouldn't know know that he had an obligation to report it? I wouldn't be surprised if that's why he won't show the 2009 tax return.

The birthers are all so afraid that President Obama might not have really been born in Hawaii (when it's clear that he was), but don't appear to have a problem possibly voting a felon into the Oval Office? Amazing the excuses they will come up with in order to cover up their racism and bigotry.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/17/2012 3:08:10 PM
The Mittster pays 13% and thinks this is fair...if he gets voted in as president we'll have deserved him.
 Neopoli
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/17/2012 5:45:53 PM
It is fair, considering he doesnt really make an hourly wage, he's not subject to payroll tax like you or me. His income is MOSTLY dividends from investments. Payroll tax & dividend tax are 2 completely different things. Been that way for years.

After some minor write-offs & deductions, 13% is a yawningly average dividend tax.

The tax rate on qualified dividends is 0% or 15% (depending on the individual's income tax rate). If the individual has a regular income tax rate of 25% or higher, then the qualified dividend tax rate is 15%. If the individual's income tax rate is less than 25%, then qualified dividends are taxed at the zero percent rate.

http://taxes.about.com/od/taxglossary/g/dividends.htm

Does Romney Pay a Lower Rate in Taxes Than You?

According to Romney’s 2010 tax return, he had an adjusted gross income of about $21.7 million in 2010 and paid about $3 million in taxes. That comes to an effective tax rate of 13.9 percent. That’s considerably less than the amount paid by most people with that high of an income, but in Romney’s case most of his income comes from dividends and capital gains — which are taxed at 15 percent rather than the highest marginal rate of 35 percent. Romney dipped below the 15 percent threshold because he donated about 14 percent of his income to charity.

The question, though, is whether Romney paying 14 percent is “probably less than you.”

It’s not if you look strictly at the income tax paid to the IRS. Scott Hodge, president of the business-backed Tax Foundation, released a report based on 2009 IRS tax data that found 97 percent of American tax filers paid a lower rate of income tax than Romney did. The bottom 40 percent of tax filers pay no income tax at all, or receive a refund.

http://factcheck.org/2012/08/does-romney-pay-a-lower-rate-in-taxes-than-you/
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/17/2012 8:47:57 PM

The Mittster pays 13% and thinks this is fair...if he gets voted in as president we'll have deserved him.

Mitt didn't script his own tax codes; but has studied them intently, and has worked out a system by which he profits maximally from its loop holes. Naturally one already has to have money in order to do that, which he was endowed with.

The problem is not that he paid only 13% but if he gets elected, he will no doubt be balancing the budget on the backs of the wage earners who will likely be the ones to lose what ever few tax breaks or loop holes they have left; and leave the wealthy (like himself) unscathed!

If Obama wants to raise taxes, he is a least impartial about it and is targeting the rich as well!
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/19/2012 5:01:22 AM

It is fair, considering he doesnt really make an hourly wage

Ah yes...funny how many CEO's take most of their compensation in options, grants, rights, and other forms of non-wages...all these tax advantages are available to the average joe...only average joe receives his compensation in the form of wages....so, on top of federal and state taxes average joe gets to pay 7.5% or 15% (depending on his form of employment) in payroll taxes....hardly seems fair...
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/20/2012 11:11:38 AM
If I read these numbers correctly, the total U.S. tax paid into the U.S. treasury is just under 2.5 billion dollars. http://www.irs.gov/taxstats/article/0,,id=102174,00.html

If we DOUBLED all taxes and received 5 billion, what effect would that have?

Or, we only TRIPLED all taxes on millionaires, what effect would that have?

I believe that this subject and most posters here are not concerned with business reasons, rather it's a jealousy/personal attack thing. RICH people have it too good, RICH people didn't make it on their own, RICH people need to give back, etc.
All these speculations about raising tax rates won't make squat of a difference if we spend thousands of times what we bring in. Compare for a minute the difference between a TRILLION and a BILLION,,,, How are you ever gonna get there?
There's another un-avoidable fact about RICH people, which is, if they feel they are being penalized, they leave!!! And guess what, they take their RICH bank account with them, and then how much do you get? Witness the state income taxes when states have hiked their rates, they went down, not up.
President Obama has a lifelong dislike of those he perceives as having profited unfairly, and he has dedicated his life to "leveling the playing field". It's not about making America a better stronger country, it's about restoring what is right, at least in Obama's vision.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/20/2012 3:51:23 PM

If I read these numbers correctly, the total U.S. tax paid into the U.S. treasury is just under 2.5 billion dollars.

Ahem...you were only off a couple of decimal places...total collections by the us treasury for 2011 was $2,400,000,000...$2.4 trillion
 cotter
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2012 9:11:45 PM
^^^^
Just imagine how much they would collect if those millionaires would just pay their taxes... on all the countries they have actual.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/21/2012 10:47:42 AM
Irish, thank you for the correction.

Let's go back to msg #2 - "Now how would the public view the mittster, if they knew he had made 20 times more than they will make in their entire lifetime, and NOT paid a dime in taxes?"

In fact, didn't he really pay in 20 times MORE than Obama in one year?
Another interesting fact,,,, if you take the top-earning 50 U.S athletes, Romney makes less than the lowest of them.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/21/2012 2:07:11 PM
if you take the top-earning 50 U.S athletes, Romney makes less than the lowest of them.

Well, not exactly...while I will agree that pro atheletes are grossly overpaid, as are US executives, Mr. Romney made as much in 2010 (his last known 1040 reporting) as the 50th highest pro athele in the world (not just the US) in 2012...in 2010 Mr Romney made $20 million and paid something like 13 % tax...and in 2012 Michael Vick made $20 million...but there is a difference...because Vic made $20 mil in salary...he paid a much higher rate of income tax....while Mr Romney made most of his income thru grants and stock-most of which were taxed at the 15% rate.

#50 Michael Vick

Total Earnings between June 2011 to June 2012: $22 million
Salary/winnings: $20 million
Endorsements: $2 million
Sport: Football (NFL)
http://www.therichest.org/sports/forbes-highest-paid-athletes/
 cotter
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2012 12:34:33 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/08/15/ann-romney-releasing-more-taxes-would-mean-more-attacks/
Ann Romney: Releasing more taxes would mean more attacks
Ann Romney says she and her husband, presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, have “nothing” they are hiding in their financial record, but won’t be releasing more tax returns publicly because it will only prompt more attacks.

“We have been very transparent to what’s legally required of us,” Ann Romney told NBC’s “Rock Center” in an interview scheduled to air Thursday evening. “There’s going to be no more tax releases given.”

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Mitt Romney has come under intense pressure from Democrats to release more than the two years’ worth of returns he has previously disclosed to the public. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has made an unsubstantiated claim that the Republican had not paid taxes for 10 years. Even Jon Huntsman Sr., a longtime Republican ally of Romney’s, has called on the former Massachusetts governor to release more tax returns.

In her interview with NBC, Ann Romney said releasing more returns will only give opponents “more ammunition” but added, “there’s nothing we’re hiding.”

“We have been very transparent to what’s legally required of us. But the more we release, the more we get attacked,” she said.

Ann Romney’s input on the tax returns is just the latest chapter of a story that continues to drag on. It’s a distraction the Romney campaign could do without, especially heading toward the late August nominating convention, which is typically a prime opportunity for positive media coverage.
Seems to me if they are can't take the public scrutiny, they are running for the wrong office.

Living in the White House is like living in a house with see-through walls. Everything you do is scrutinized and ridiculed by someone at any given time ... no matter if you've done nothing wrong.

Look at all the folks who think it's wrong for the 1st Lady to exercise with the children in public ... make a garden and actually use the proceeds on the President's dinner table.

If you take your daughters on vacation ... it gets ridiculed ... even though you paid for it yourself!
If you take your wife out to dinner ... it gets ridiculed ... even though you paid for it yourself!

I wouldn't be surprised that if the Mittster gets elected, he will be flying to and from his California compound on a regular basis and I'd wager the tax payers will be footing that bill.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/26/2012 1:38:28 PM
^^^^^^
"we need to stop the flow of jobs off-shore.."

Oy, have you noticed that when President Obama comes to L.A., the Hollywood bigshots line up to kiss his ring and write some humongous checks?
Do you know how they say "outsource" in SoCal? It's called "runaway production".
I wonder if the President is aware that some of his most fervent supporters are in fact outsourcers?
They lobby for tax breaks to keep those jobs here,,, but hey, isn't that corporate welfare?

Hollywood Powers Canadian Film and TV Shooting to Record High
10:05 AM PST 2/1/2012 by Etan Vlessin
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-powers-canadian-film-tv-286412

TORONTO – Canadian film and TV production volume hit a record high last year, thanks to Hollywood.
our editor recommends
Ontario Touts Stability Amid Tax Credit Chill
Hollywood Production Expenses in British Columbia Down 29% in 2010 (Report)

Rebounding foreign location shooting pushed Ontario for the first time past the $2 billion production expenditure level, the Profile 2011: An Economic Report on the Screen-Based Production Industry in Canada report revealed Wednesday.

In all, the Canadian film and TV industry, dubbed Hollywood North by local players, saw overall production levels rise 8.9% to a new record of $5.49 billion last year.

Foreign location and service production – where Canadians make foreign films and TV shows on a fee-for-work basis – in 2011 rose 24.3% to $1.87 billion in production volume.

Ontario, which two years ago introduced a 25% all-spend tax credit to lure Los Angeles producers, last year saw total volume of production rise 6.3% to $2.06 billion.

The eastern province unseated British Columbia as Canada’s top production center, and the third largest in North America, on the strength of Toronto shoots like Columbia Pictures’ $200 million Total Recall remake.

British Columbia saw total production volume last year jump 20.8% to $1.71 billion, with the biggest boost coming from foreign location shoots, including U.S. network TV series like Alcatraz, Fringe and Fairly Legal.

And Quebec shared in the increased Hollywood patronage as production volume rose 5.5% to $1.33 billion last year.

Hollywood studios may be shooting fewer movies on lower budgets these days, but the Canadian production data reveals foreign location shooting in Canada is on an upswing, thanks to generous tax credits and other lucrative incentives.

Countrywide, foreign, mostly Hollywood producers last year shoot in all 66 theatrical movies north of the border, 76 TV series and 81 TV movies, mini-series and pilots.

The 2011 industry Profile report, issued by the Canadian Media Production Association, also revealed domestic Canadian TV production was up slightly last year, while homegrown film production was down sharply.

After rising in 2010 to $2.42 billion, total production volume for Canadian indie film and TV last year fell 1.4% to $2.39 billion.

Tax credit program has helped stem runaway production, but...
By Mark Lacter | June 14, 2012 1:50 PM
http://www.laobserved.com/biz/2012/06/_the_most_important.php

Funding for the program is not adequate to meet demand and there are too many restrictions, according to a Milken Institute report. Still, the study finds that film and TV tax credits have helped keep more production in the state. In the first two years, 125 projects were funded, and this year, 27 are on tap. Interestingly, the report comes out just as the state legislature considers a five-year extension. While it's hard to argue with success, I continue to question the need for these giveaways, even if it means a few more jobs. Where's the tax break for plumbers or accountants?

(exceprted)

sweetest
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2012 4:27:33 PM
I do wonder and think that if a 'perpetual candidate' like Mitt Romney who has spent as many years as he has running for elected office and as of yet, still doesn't yet understand the disclosure requirements whether stated, or within the generally-accepted requirements of the position given precedent as even established by his own father, that it begs further investigation.

Whatever party you support, imo it should tweak one's 'Spidey' senses when a candidate, any candidate demonstrates a history of routinely trying to buck a legitimate process, suggesting somehow that he should be coronated to the highest office simply because we should, 'trust him'. If 'the people'...you know the same bunch as "we the people" want to exact tests and measures to ensure a candidate's suitability, including gleaning an accurate financial picture 'over time', then it so be it. (Btw no need to revisit the customary injection of birtherism rants...POTUS has already complied)

I find the sheer arrogance of Mitt Romney telling. For a man to have the level of business reasoning he is alleged to have, this ability to justify thwarting a vetting to ensure due diligence seems simply reckless. The 'people=the employer' deserve the truth about his taxes.

If he doesn't want to comply then he should move along, I'm sure Mr. Santorum or Paul would have no problems stepping into the breach to meet that essential threshold even if on the fly. Visually Romney is a stamp of his father, but that's where I think it ends. I seriously question the mettle that he's made of. How he manages to leap over the reasoned words of his own father on presenting one's taxes is simply amazing....According to Romney Sr.,who released 12 years worth of taxes, “one year could be a fluke, perhaps done for show"...and it's that 'show' that is exactly what I'm thinking is going on in those two precious years of tax returns he has deigned the American people are allowed to view. No one put a gun to Mitt Romney to enter this game with all its jumps and hoops. It's high time he played by the 'assumed and customary' rules of engagement instead of bullying a system---I guess there are some 'traits' one never outgrows.

I wonder if the President is aware that some of his most fervent supporters are in fact outsourcers?

Even if some film production jobs/levels have risen in the province/country over the years as a result of an attractive rates here and Canada has realized some increasing growth in this area, (to my recollection of that industry) this sector is still quite a small one in comparison to others, and likely only making up 5% -8% of the country's overall GDP.

Further as I understand the industry, many of those jobs are seasonal, temporary and not in all cases, well-paying. On the other hand isn't what's being 'typically' referred to as 'off-shored US jobs', those that are permanent with good "living wage" salaries in the high 50's to 70's, with comfortable benefit packages in the manufacturing or IT sector that the middle class in the US is desperate for? As I recall those are exactly the types of jobs that some US companies (say it with me...like Bain Capital) expedite to India, China and elsewhere to extract and realize greater savings for their shareholders by reducing the cost of labor for jobs that would have kept many middle class families going.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/27/2012 4:51:18 PM
^^^^^^
"I do wonder and think that if a 'perpetual candidate' like Mitt Romney who has spent as many years as he has running for elected office and as of yet, still doesn't yet understand the disclosure requirements "

What requirement are you referring to?

Take a look : http://www.taxhistory.org/www/website.nsf/web/presidentialtaxreturns

"Individual income tax returns — including those of public figures — are private information, protected by law from unauthorized disclosure. Indeed, the Internal Revenue Service is barred from releasing any taxpayer information whatsoever, except to authorized agencies and individuals.
Like all other citizens, U.S. presidents enjoy this protection of their privacy."
(excerpted)
 cotter
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2012 8:12:56 PM
Hmmmmm ... All kinds of idiotic talk from the Mittster these days, but still no tax returns.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/16/2012 9:43:47 PM
Re: why only 15% tax on private equity fund gains?
According to Jason Kelley, author of "The New Tycoons", Congress has been kicking around the idea of making those earnings taxed at the normal rate, and recently , they almost did get it through.
Obama was more interested in the healthcare legislation, and put all attention on that, so the 15% tax is still 15%.
 VGLGuySksFun
Msg: 45
Posted: 9/17/2012 7:30:30 AM
Perhaps he's hiding money in a Swiss or a Caribbean island bank in order to avoid taxes?

Perhaps it will be revealed that he made investments to undermine one or more U.S. businesses in order to make money for himself?
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 46
Posted: 9/17/2012 9:26:39 AM
Or maybe he bankrolled crazed Egyptian criminals to make anti-Muslim films and put them on Youtube to incite worldwide riots.
Yeah, that's it.
And he put it on his taxes as a deduction expense, and he's afraid everyone will find out.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 47
Posted: 9/17/2012 8:41:49 PM
^^^^^^
The buzz in SoCal is that the film thing is not working out well, so Mitt is buying the city of Cerritos and outsourcing everybody to an East-bloc country with a name that Americans cannot pronounce.
When it goes down the details will be revealed by a trusted gov't spokesperson, most likely Bill Maher, so stay connected for all the latest news.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/18/2012 7:34:12 PM
...That he is among the 47% that doesn't pay taxes!
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 49
Posted: 9/21/2012 1:08:24 PM
Well, what else have you got to butch about?
Maybe it's time to complain about the horse some more, we
haven't heard much about that lately.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/21/2012 10:27:55 PM
Oy, I'm just about wettin' my pants, waiting for more dirt on Romney.
But you gotta admit, there IS a benefit to all that clean living, no smoke, no drink,
no caffeine, I mean, LOOK at the guy, he is in terrific shape, and he's
OLDER than you, isn't he?
ha, ha, yerass :)
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > I wonder what is on the Mittster's tax return that he does not want us to see?