Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ed Bear
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Money Investing Suggestions WantedPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
DO NOT under any circumstances trust a financial advisor or stock promoter! They are ALL looking to make money off you by you losing it!

Get yourself a copy of INVESTING FOR DUMMIES for a start. It won't give you any sure-fire advice, but it will do a great job of making you aware of what everything means, and it's a VERY good place to learn about what to avoid and who to not trust. And tax implications, so make sure you get the US or Canadian editions depending on where you live.

I'm no fan of the DUMMIES books, but this one impresses me.

At the moment, we're in good times for bond funds. They rarely fall much - a 3% loss is almost unheard of in bond funds, while equities have recently served a lot of people 20% losses or more - and they drop slightly as interest rates rise.

Two strategies I use are: buy long GICs or bonds when rates are falling; buy shorter or extendible/redeemable when rates are rising.

But in the medium to long term of today's market, long-term GICs will outperform almost anything at zero risk. (If a real bull market hits, pretty much any fund will go up; choose an index fund.) With interest rates this low, searching for the 3%+ offerings (there are quite a few out there) from newer (but still deposit-insured) institutions will make a huge difference in your earnings. Also, with rates this low you have to be absolutely ruthless about refusing anything with associated fees.

IF you have reliable friends with good jobs, consider refinancing their credit card debt. (For example, someone who was out of work or in a bad relationship may still be carrying debt after things are better.) Someone paying 20% or more will be getting a big favour from you refinancing them at 7%, and you'll be more than doubling the GIC rates. Keep the amounts small - a couple of thousand at most - and have an agreed-on schedule and accounting calculation. Decide if you want to allow early repayment (a good idea among friends - don't want to lock a pal into an arrangement he doesn't need any more, eh?) and NEVER allow a late or missed payment.

Carrying a trusted, reliable person's mortgage or making a down payment loan can also be a good deal, but the margin to split is much smaller.

Obviously, consistent credit abusers are NOT candidates!
ED BEAR
 Javan2
Msg: 36
Money Investing Suggestions Wanted
Posted: 8/12/2012 6:14:09 AM
My screener revealed only two stocks this week. (VRNM) and (YAVY).
 Ed Bear
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2012 12:04:03 AM
Daniel 100: I have never heard of a financial manager who charged a percentage of what you MAKE - they all charge based on assets under management, and make money up or down. Are you sure about this feature?
ED BEAR
 onlydateIF
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/2/2012 7:07:40 PM
A good broker knows more than you and only makes money when/if you do-that's their job. In addition, that takes the stress away from you of having to constantly watch the market depending on what type of account you have. After you lose enough money on your own, you might consider a good broker an asset ;)
 Zuglo65
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2012 5:10:49 AM
Look into Capitalone.com.
Higher interest than banks.
 MissesMiko
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/3/2012 1:02:42 PM
START AN ONLINE BUSINESS!
Or invest in real estate rental properties.....
residual passive income while you sleep!!!

Message me if your interested, I know a great opportunity available!!
 Ed Bear
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2012 2:54:17 AM
Daniel 100: Yes, I'm debt-free, and have been since my student loans were paid off - on time. Now I'm mostly retired and trying to keep my assets up. I don't lose any money because I never invest in equities. Laddered 5-year certificates, bonds, considering bond funds... my ROI was overall over 4% through July, when some maturities forced me to seek less profitable stuff. Look into credit unions and virtual banks.

Of course, I'm Canadian, so US availability may be different. But I see North Shore Credit Union here in BC offering a 15-month note at 2.3% for you inflation-hedgers, and several Manitoba Credit Unions were still offering 3.1% for a 5-year in July. Savings account rates approach 2% there, too. They've dropped to 2.85 now, and rates commonly bottom out around presidential elections, so we can hope Obama wins and look for rates to move up.

As short-term becomes interesting and the bankers expect rates to remain low or drop over the next three to five years, watch for cashable 1-year notes you can roll over if rates jump. Take partially-cashables to avoid leaving money in a savings account, or take multiple smaller notes to allow you to cash them flexibly.

Watch out for people offering you investments here - remember, ANYTHING sold on the internet is a LIE! :)

onlydateIF: as with Daniel, please tell me what financial dealer offers you an account where they make money only on your earnings. I've never seen it except in scams or institutions dealing with huge accounts - over a million at least. In fact, it is illegal in some jurisdictions, thanks to lobbying from financial institutions who make their commissions on your total assets regardless of your outcome.
ED BEAR
 ArticLife
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2012 2:21:47 AM
I would look into a mutual index fund (managed ones don't generally perform better but have more fees)

Something simple like the S&P Index fund, or maybe one of the Vanguard funds.

Keep in mind that as these funds pool resources into bonds, stocks, equity, etc.. there is some risk, but it's extremely unlikely to downright impossible that the entire thing would crash.. even if it did, eventually they go back up. It's about long-term returns.

It's a shame it's so hard these days to get a 5% return. In 1980, you could get a nominal positive return (after inflation) of 4-5% in a savings account. Now, factoring in inflation, it's -3%, at least. It's insane.
 normaldude
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2012 2:14:31 PM
I have some mutual funds and they are pretty much a waste of time. They go up a bit, they go down a bit then I get hit with the "management fees" What a ripoff. Like was said earlier you could throwdarts at stock lists and get the same returns. The industry is set up to make the internal players rich not the clients. We are just grease for the wheels. But sticking money into GIC,s at 2.5% then paying tax on the gains is crazy also. If the government wants people to stop going into debt they should raise interest rates on bank savings and loans to stop more from going into debt. The only thing that will happen with cheap money is a housing bubble and stupid people buying crap they dont need on dirt cheap credit.
 ArticLife
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2012 4:28:14 PM
Some mutual funds have excellent average returns over the years. It's not something you should check too often if you are saving for retirement or something.

I agree interest rates should be raised, but that's not what people want. People want an environment where borrowing is encouraged. But to do this, you have to discourage and penalize savers. I don't see this changing soon.

More than that, if interest rates rose even to just 3-4%, the government would be screwed. The interest on 16 TRILLIN dollars would be the end of it. Probably a good thing in the long run.. we can't go on with that much debt.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2012 4:40:11 PM
Spend the money to hire a financial planner and do your research to find a good one. They will not be biased and have a profit motive like many of the "wolf in sheeps clothing" slick tongued scumbag/thieves who work in investment firms. They have profit motives whether they tell you so or not, your money's not safe with them. They're thinking commissions when they make recommendations.

You need an objective opinion, financial planners get paid for their advice, not for pushing you in one direction or another and they're worth every penny they earn.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2012 12:10:23 AM
Index funds are a nice safe ride while the markets are rising. In a bear market, all the equity funds are going negative - even with no fees, you'd be losing money.

In this investment climate, which is intended to push businesses to invest in business rather than finance, the individual investor should only accept guaranteed returns.

As far as Financial Planners - they need have no training or credentials at all in post places, and STILL sell you out to the money-takers despite your paying them. Do it yourself or get done to. And by that I don't mean trying to become a day trader - just make sure you don't believe anything you don't understand and can prove.

ED BEAR
 test1
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/7/2012 11:34:37 PM
Investing is a big word. You can invest in technology companies, like Apple and others, or you can invest in Deal Sites, like www.dealhijack.com the sky is the limit on what to choose to invest in.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2012 4:24:39 PM
"As far as Financial Planners - they need have no training or credentials at all in post places, and STILL sell you out to the money-takers despite your paying them. Do it yourself or get done to. And by that I don't mean trying to become a day trader - just make sure you don't believe anything you don't understand and can prove."

I left out an important word, CERTIFIED Financial Planners, I'm only familiar with the laws in Florida, and the education and testing they have to go through is extensive. I have a CPA partner I used to work with and he said his CFP cerficiation was more stringent than the CPA. If they're certified, it means they're regulated by the state, usually through the Dept. of Business and Professional Regulation and the DBPR also handles and investigates complaints. I assure you there are serious ramifications if you file a complaint on a CFP. The have a fiduciary duty just like a CPA does to do their work with your best interests in mind and they cannot take any kind of commission or kickbacks. In fact, they don't sell products, or are allowed to recommend products, they work out a comprehensive financial plan that would include investment advice, among other avenues.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2012 6:34:45 AM
I've never been to Florida, but in MOST jurisdictions in North America a Certified Financial Planner is certified as a SALESPERSON, not a financial expert. NEVER put your finances in the hands of, or follow the advice of, just one person. The business of business is to make money, and that's what these shills do.

If you are paying a financial planner, do NOT actually do the buying and selling of investments through THEM.
ED BEAR
 normaldude
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2012 4:06:03 PM
the problem is that most new style pensions these days are "defined contribution" which means that the company puts a little money in the pot with the worker and then its is given to an investment company who invests it for the worker and charges all kinds of juicy fees no matter what the investment does. It is a ripoff designed to try and pump up the stock market and allow big investment groups to gather up new sheep for the slaughter. Defined contribution allows the company to have no responsibility for the workers pension.
 steveis863
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/15/2012 11:01:30 PM
Best bet is not even to have a savings,CD or anything like that.

Go silver,gold,platinum or even palladium
most likely if you make less than 100,00$ a year go for silver or palladium
i closed all my CDs,savings, the interest is horrible, extremely horrible.
silver and precious metals on hand in your home much better,safer and realistic.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2013 9:47:22 AM

they are at there highest prices ever and are probably going to drop soon.

What makes you think these commodities are going to drop soon?
 Celje
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/5/2013 8:23:50 AM
I have some old newspapers from the early 90's; lending rates "all time lows" 11% haha.
Untill interest rates climb, don't expect any decent returns from bank investments. Most people can't handle 3%, imagine lending rates went back to 10%+?
If you purchased 25 oz gold at 1995's peak value and held it, you could buy an average home cash today. Those were considered high prices back then much like today's $1700ish, and it's value dropped considerably over the years. Expect the same when other investments become more attractive. That's one of thousand's of possible investments.

Ebb and flow.
 Celje
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/5/2013 9:33:59 AM
What I ment was if you started buying metal in the early 90's slowly by the month, by the time the value drops you'd aleady have a decent start and since the price is less, you'd want to purchase more, and sell more in the future.
It's a safe investment in my opinion, and you can sell whenever you need it, regardless of it's current value.
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2013 9:56:00 AM
What not to do;
1. Don't buy individual stocks, you need to be an experienced daytrader and you'll stress out watching it every day.....if you are talking about a large sum of money for retirement, its all about the least amount of risk.
2. Financial Advisors get 1.5% of your assets every year, whether the market goes up or down, I worked at Morgan Stanley as a broker for awhile, and was shocked to find out almost all advisors never shifted asset classes or looked out for the clients best interest, they just dump you into a fund, which might or might not get good returns.

One thing you might do;
Wait for another crash (unlikely because of the way they are propping the market) but if it happens, buy vanilla dividend stocks (at the right price!) like "T" hand over fist....that way you are getting a fixed 5%.......
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2013 10:33:44 AM
One thing you might do;
Wait for another crash (unlikely because of the way they are propping the market) but if it happens, buy vanilla dividend stocks (at the right price!) like "T" hand over fist....that way you are getting a fixed 5%

I don't agree with that at all. The same rules apply for dividend stocks as do for regular stocks. So if you stress out about watching your individual stocks (which you should) you should also stress out about watching your dividend producing stocks. They are by no means immune to ups and downs and their dividend return is by no means guaranteed. In general, how good is it to get a 5% dividend return but lose 50% in your capital investment? If you buy dividend producers you need the same insight as buying regular stocks or you will be stuck with duds. And since some people say dividend producers are well set for a crash because so many people are buying into them, why go there? Why not take the time to learn how to buy a stock that will make you money and then use that knowledge in whatever the market gives you?
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2013 11:25:14 AM
I don't agree with that at all. The same rules apply for dividend stocks as do for regular stocks. So if you stress out about watching your individual stocks (which you should) you should also stress out about watching your dividend producing stocks. - incorrect, dividend producing stocks are the most stable of equities, thus reducing risk, when bought at the right price (you failed to read that)

They are by no means immune to ups and downs and their dividend return is by no means guaranteed. In general, how good is it to get a 5% dividend return but lose 50% in your capital investment? --if you can read, I stated A. Buy it in a crash and B. at the right price so your dividend won't be wiped out due to loss in equity.

If you buy dividend producers you need the same insight as buying regular stocks or you will be stuck with duds. And since some people say dividend producers are well set for a crash because so many people are buying into them, why go there? ---as I said buy it in a crash at the right price, you need to focus. Most mutual funds are designed to include dividend stocks because they are not as volitile and they can reinvest the dividends into the fund as a float.

Why not take the time to learn how to buy a stock that will make you money and then use that knowledge in whatever the market gives you? - go ahead, take your retirement money and daytrade it, its a zero sum game, but hey, I know people who've never lost a trade or a game of poker......
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/5/2013 11:36:47 AM

If you purchased 25 oz gold at 1995's peak value and held it, you could buy an average home cash today. Those were considered high prices back then much like today's $1700ish, and it's value dropped considerably over the years.

ah! with that info hindsight AND a time machine...we'd all make a killing..

um, O Wise One, can you also "predict" what the S&P 500 index returned between Sept. 1, 1991 and June 30, 2005? thanks a bunch!

OTOH, when gold 'peaked' at about $900/oz in 1979=1980..it took over 25 years to reach that price again, in the meantime dropping to about $300/oz. a few years later, but of course (IN HINDSIGHT) we'd "ALL" have the nerve and the guts to hang on through a 70% decline right? in the meantime with ZERO returns actually NEGATIVE returns-(in most cases people pay 1-2% per year for safe-keeping) at a time when inflation was running 10-11 %/ year at least? riiight, because at the time everyone 'knew" it would be over $2000/oz. if we just hung on for another 15 -25 years ?

suuure, ignore human emotions and the (natural) reaction of panic and feeling sick to one's stomach ? most people do better with less volatile investments because they don't panic..and are higher long-term returns even worth it if you can't sleep at night and spend a lot of time puking with worry?
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2013 11:39:39 AM

go ahead, take your retirement money and daytrade it, its a zero sum game, but hey, I know people who've never lost a trade or a game of poker

Blindly buying stocks simply because they pay you a dividend is way more of a gamble than understanding what makes stocks go up and down and actively managing your risk while moving money into profitable scenarios. Dividend stocks are not inherently safe. If it were that easy, there would be no such thing as a stock market. You still have to know what you're buying and why you're buying it whether it pays a dividend or not. Which, if I understand your original post, you completely agree with.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >