Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > sally ride first lesbian in space      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 trinity818
Msg: 21
sally ride first lesbian in spacePage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
There is a difference between acknowledging it and exploiting it.

Wouldn't you agree?
 mungojoe
Msg: 22
sally ride first lesbian in space
Posted: 7/25/2012 1:35:20 PM
There is a difference between acknowledging it and exploiting it.

Wouldn't you agree?

Absolutely... And if she had used it to try to assert her "right" to go in space then I would agree that it was being exploited... That is not the case here where it is being asserted that it isn't an impediment or something to be feared...
 Welsh474
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/25/2012 1:39:47 PM
""I respect her for keeping the details of her homosexual disorder a private matter while she was alive. It's unfortunate that homosexual extremists are exploiting her death in their push to normalize this terrible affliction.""

I'd rather be born gay than to grow up to be a bigot. I'd rather be born gay than to grow up to hate. I'd rather be born gay than to be a bully. I'd rather be born gay than grow up in the religious right, seems some folks just don't understand the teachings of their own book.
 flyguy51
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/25/2012 1:43:05 PM
I agree that there's a difference. I still disagree with you that the article in the OP is exploitation. To me, it sounds as though you are ashamed for her private life, and you are projecting that on her memory by exhorting everyone to politely ignore the "distasteful facts" out of your own sense of decorum. She was not ashamed of her private life. She just wanted it to be private while she was living it.
 trinity818
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/25/2012 2:05:30 PM

To me, it sounds as though you are ashamed for her private life, and you are projecting that on her memory by exhorting everyone to politely ignore the "distasteful facts" out of your own sense of decorum.

fly...you are doing a great deal of projecting. (Inappropriately, I might add.) You have absolutely NO basis for your statements regarding my views. In fact, you don't have a fvcking clue what my view on homosexuality is. My opinion is no more or no less than what I stated. I think she is and will be exploited by other people. The cited article below clearly states repeatedly how much she valued her privacy. Just because she acknowledged her lover in her obituary does NOT mean she is now choosing to be an advocate for anything more than the science programs she valued so dearly. There was not even a HINT of shame in anything I've posted. Take my words at face value and stop playing games.

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07/24/12933519-why-sally-ride-waited-until-her-death-to-tell-the-world-she-was-gay?lite&__utma=14933801.345528358.1343248753.1343248753.1343248753.1&__utmb=14933801.4.10.1343248753&__utmc=14933801&__utmx=-&__utmz=14933801.1343248753.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=14933801.|8=Earned%20By=msnbc%7Ccover=1^12=Landing%20Content=Mixed=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=www.nbcnews.com=1^30=Visit%20Type%20to%20Content=Earned%20to%20Mixed=1&__utmk=186808872
 flyguy51
Msg: 26
Posted: 7/25/2012 3:21:05 PM
Excerpted from the link you provided:

Here's the essay that Bear Ride has been sending around as a tribute to her sister:

"... I hope the pancreatic cancer community is going to be absolutely thrilled that there's now this advocate that they didn't know about. And, I hope the GLBT community feels the same. I hope it makes it easier for kids growing up gay that they know that another one of their heroes was like them."
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/25/2012 7:40:55 PM

WTF cares?

I had lunch with a gay friend today who feels that one reason his last relationship failed was because his boyfriend is so closeted, he won't commit because he doesn't want his family to know. So, my friend cares.

The people who own Chik-fil-a care, or they wouldn't have bragged about opposing gay marriage.

My cousin from Arkansas, who posted on FB that we should all support Chik-fil-a for supporting the Christian way of life, cares.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people still in the US who care if their neighbors, relatives, or strangers are gay. The rest of us care about equal rights and judge people by how they treat us.

If we truly did unto others as we do unto ourselves, people who oppose gay marriage and gay rights would stop getting married and give up their "rights."
 BlokeInSydney
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/25/2012 8:54:37 PM

As for teaching in schools - we should be teaching that there are multi faceted people out there of all colours, genders and religion and all need to be respected. There should be no room for bigots and bullys in our world. But maybe I'm just looking at it all through rose coloured glasses - but I like my view.

I like your view too.
 trinity818
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/26/2012 5:26:21 AM

Excerpted from the link you provided:

Also excerpted from the link I provided:

Her personal feelings were just that: personal. Not right or wrong — simply Sally. Everyone who knows her well really got that about her."

Bear, a gay Presbyterian minister, takes a different approach.

"I'm a rather out-there advocate for LGBT [lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgender] rights — my partner and I have even been arrested a couple of times in public protest!" she told me. "But that's me, and not Sally."

I'm not anti-gay. When a close family member chose a bi-sexual relationship, no one was more supportive than me. But I would hope that Bear does not forget nor overlook her sister's feelings about privacy.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/26/2012 6:21:55 AM

As for teaching in schools - we should be teaching that there are multi faceted people out there of all colours, genders and religion and all need to be respected. There should be no room for bigots and bullys in our world. But maybe I'm just looking at it all through rose coloured glasses - but I like my view.

I teach at a community college and one of my classes is on mythology. One of my goals is to try to help students understand that there are many faiths, past and present, but that they basically have the same myths and espouse the same tenets. We need to be tolerant of people who hold different beliefs.

In my online class this summer, a 60+ man was in the class. After we studied the myth of Orestes and the demotion of women, he sent a message to me saying that women and minorities are unequal.

Ain't NOBODY gonna change this man's way of thinking.
 Welsh474
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/26/2012 11:57:13 AM
"...affliction..." How do you justify cheating on your wife? Is cheating on your wife not lumped in with drug abuse, crime, morbid obesity (you're overweight) and other vices as well? You seem to be judging others by their apparent sins but not yourself.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/26/2012 1:58:45 PM

Real homosexuality is not trendy or cool like you see on TV. Most homosexual men are drug addicts, suffer from diseases due to their unrestrained promiscuity and reckless lifestyle, and are far more likely to harm themselves or others.

I guess that I just know a "better class" of gay men. The ones whom I know are so normal it is boring--they are in partnerships, have jobs, own homes, and are of no harm to themselves or others.

You grossly over-generalize.

I also have known a lot of heterosexual men and women who are drug users, promiscuous, and have a lifestyle that promotes danger to themselves and others. Heck, the heterosexual guy across the street (who has added the first danger in three years to our quite, rural neighborhood) tried to cut his girlfriend's head off with a skill-saw, or so she said. Of course, they HAD been drinking all day, so who knows whose story is true?
 blartfast
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/26/2012 2:39:47 PM
msg 35 & 36

Don't let the troll pull you off. He just wants you to give him a venue to bully and degrade homosexuals.

This thread isn't about his opinions of homosexuality, it is about the wonderful role model Sally Ride's example presents to GLBT youth. Her example can help to give them the strength to move beyond the bullying and degradation that poster represents.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/26/2012 5:58:36 PM

This thread isn't about his opinions of homosexuality, it is about the wonderful role model Sally Ride's example presents to GLBT youth. Her example can help to give them the strength to move beyond the bullying and degradation that poster represents.

And thank you for reeling it back in! :)
 blartfast
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/27/2014 7:04:19 PM
I thought I would resurrect this post from the past, from a prior visit to these forums. It just seems timely to me with all of the changes that have occured in one short year.

From the example of Sally Ride to 18 states and counting. That is quite an advancement despite all the efforts to stall or hold GLBT rights back.

For this, the U.S. of A. deserves a clap.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > sally ride first lesbian in space