Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 arwen52
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Best cheap date you have!!!Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Many guys complain that dating is expensive but it doesn't have to be.

We have a bunch of free museums in our city.

A day trip to a nice hiking area + picnic lunch. The guy was Indian and brought wonderful Indian food that he'd made himself. Wonderful!

Met one guy at an outdoor art fair. Loved it. I like being outside and it was fun to walk around, have something outside of ourselves to talk about but still have plenty of room for conversation. He bought me an ice cream cone from a vendor. Best first date I've ever had.

Guy made a nice dinner for me. Awesome!

Free outdoor concerts.

Going birding at a natural area where a lot of migrating birds stop.

Free and low cost - and often very good films - at the university.

Art openings are free and often provide some snacks.

Ice cream at a really nice ice cream parlor doesn't cost much and is a lot of fun.

Small ethnic restaurants are often very inexpensive.

There are lots of festivals that are free. The International Festival in our city is great. Of course, you *do* want to spend a little money on tasting the international food offered but you don't have to spend lots! There's music, dance, and lots to look at.

Go out bicycling on a nice trail. Take a picnic lunch.

There's so much one can do that is free or costs very little. Look in the newspaper for events. Be creative.
 TantricJedi
Msg: 24
Best cheap date you have!!!
Posted: 7/28/2012 12:21:15 PM
Invited her to a company dinner. Free food and drink. She was a gorgeous blonde. I got to show her off and she got to mingle with execs advertising her new health food business. Win/win. No money spent. Functional.
 heypretty
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/28/2012 12:31:26 PM
Well there you go. Sounds like the summer in Canada.
 SmartPei
Msg: 26
Posted: 7/28/2012 1:14:33 PM

Free/Low Cost Dates :

-Bookstore : Walking around, conversation starters on every shelf, and not at a table conducting an interview.
- Hikes : Physical activity and great surroundings.
- Geocaching : Treasure hunting. Very fun and original
- Cards or Uno at a public place
- Pool, Bowling, Mini Golf, Darts, Lazer Tag, Paint-Balling

Those are very nice!
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/4/2013 6:21:56 AM
Went shopping in the mall for perfume/cologne.
Rules were we had to go to all 5 stores FIRST to sample them before ANY purchase was made - the guy buys for the gal, the gal buys for the guy. Even though some types are ridiculously expensive, the brands we thought smelled 'best' on each other were actually VERY affordable - plus we got to get in close and sniff each others' neck about 25 times that afternoon. By the end of the date, I was so turned on I really could care less if she wanted me to buy a half ounce of gasoline.
 Kay9876
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2013 8:38:59 AM
My best “dates” happen with male friends I met on POF. These are men who never became romantic dates, but our personalities fit perfectly. My favorites involved a lot of driving, giving us optimal time for talking without distraction, while having an ultimate destination that was fun (a winery, walking trail, touring Christmas lights, etc.) or different (museum in the middle of nowhere, accomplishing an errand, etc.).

On one (real) date, we went dancing and afterward drove to an isolated location, sat in a vehicle under the stars, and talked for two or three hours. It was awesome! Total cost – about $15, including drinks.

The key seems to be the connection between us and having no pressure for it to be anything other than fun.
 SWEET_MAVERICK
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/4/2013 8:59:18 AM
We have Tuesday bargain matinees at theatres, plus many fairs & festivals that are free!
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/4/2013 12:17:49 PM
Cheap date:

Clear, beautiful night. Get a couple of beers, drive to a local park, sit on park bench and check out the stars.
There is even a constellation app on the iPhone. Once, we played named that tune with all the iTunes songs.....
that was fun! :) Ahhhhh, good times....
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2013 2:16:42 PM
I have no use for wining and dining at this stage of my life. The BEST first date I ever had was a day at Powell Gardens outside KC. It was cheap, suited both our interests perfectly, and I'll never forget it. At the end he gave me a chocolate candle before I left...and I still have it...unburned and cherished. Inexpensive dates are the best because they take thought and imagination.
Posted: 10/4/2013 7:25:39 PM
Wow...what a sweet thread, and what beautiful stories. It's so refreshing in here. I hope this lasts a while and we get to hear about more of these kinds of dates.

A couple of mine along these lines...one where we went to an arts festival and walked around all day, and I bought her a little stuffed dragon, then at her place just sat beside each other in front of a little t.v., she brewed coffee, and we just sat and sipped awhile...another, I just took her for a little leisurely ride on my motorcycle, then I took us to this little coffee cafe place which happened to have a little jazz band playing casually on their 100 sq. ft. stage.

sigh...good times...
 KratosSpawn
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/7/2013 4:15:19 AM
Ice Cream/Coffee- Good Initial Let's Meet-Up & see who you are encounters. They're short and cheap...and if things get dull, you can just leave vs. dinner or extended events.

Pool/Arcade - Great to do something active with someone you are dating and at a low cost, it makes fun the core of your interaction and not too hyper active so the conversation can just flow.

Your Home/Place or Cooking together - Great location to let her/him see how you live and work together to make food. Solid bonding.
 PrettyBr0wneyed1
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/7/2013 4:08:07 PM
I don't do cheap. I don't have a set price on a date, but I'm not looking to use anyone for a meal or anything either. My time is precious, just as the other peron's time is, so it's about having a good time and there is no dollar amount for it, it could be an amusement park, or it could be to Dubai. I had a first date to Dubai, but that's another story.
 flavourseeker
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/7/2013 4:16:19 PM
After our initail meet n greet she invited me to her place for dinner.

Not a good idea on her part to invite someone she just met to her home, but obviously she was a good judge of character : )

..... it was a very nice evening just hanging out at her place gettin to know one another better !

; )
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/7/2013 4:33:46 PM
You can barter with the hookers here in Halifax...10 bucks is a pretty cheap date.
 pamioakley
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2013 6:26:26 PM
Without a doubt, a walk around a local park that borders Long Island Sound. I wouldn't say I'm a cheap date because it sounds so ugly, but it's the simple things that make me happy. The walk was my suggestion. We did progress to a late afternoon****ail before he went home. All in all, one of my best dates.
 DameWrite
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2013 12:03:26 PM
My best date when it came to finances, was one where we picked a wack of mushrooms (Chanterelles) and we both made money!

'tis the season...
 KratosSpawn
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/10/2013 3:06:56 PM
College Activities. Great way to get a free/cheap event for you two to get together.
 CaptainTeebs
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/10/2013 9:42:40 PM
We had sex in Value Village
and didn't buy anything.
 rissignol
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/10/2013 9:47:44 PM
Theme Pack, that really doesn't surprise me at all. I kinda guessed that when I ran into you on that other thread ... ;)
 Vannili
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2013 9:47:17 AM

We had sex in Value Village and didn't buy anything.

LOL! That was really so cheap , you used the second hand towels to clean both of yourself and hang it back to the rack. HEHEHEHE!
 BabblingBrookes
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/11/2013 11:20:23 AM
We went to the local farmer's market, wandered around talking and bought random pieces of fruit and vegetables for each other. We had to create a purpose and reason for buying the item. He'd buy me a stick of honey...I'd buy him a tomato. It was hysterical! Once we finally made our way through the market, we went to a nearby pie shop for tea. I'm still with him. All around adorable date. :)
 nyceguy85
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/12/2013 12:30:48 PM
An entire day at Golden Corral, dutch style. We initially went to Golden Corral for breakfast, paid for our own way. In between meals we talked and watched movies on my IPAD. We left around 6:00pm with belly's full of food and a greater understanding of one another.
 stewpitt
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2013 4:00:15 AM
I dislike people like that, when everything becomes about money. That's why I do not date Jewish women.
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/14/2013 7:11:42 AM
Coffee and sex in a cemetary
but it was college and it was a different world then
bonus round - she bought the next round of coffee for the sequel
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2013 9:56:19 AM
Maybe not the best date, but the best moment on a date was stopping to take a break on a hiking trial and falling asleep, facing each other, to the sound of the river and the feel of the warm the sun. That lovely feeling of drowsy gradually getting deeper and deeper until it slips into a light sleep.

(PS, it wasn't the first date ... :)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >