Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Wonder5750
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Risk taking in midlifePage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
lol Yes jumping out of a plane strapped to a handsome young man is quite easy to do, there is still the rush of falling 100 mph to earth and a bit of fear. Have you jumped tbicon?
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 28
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 11:34:57 PM
I take calculated risks. Today I hiked 14 total miles in the Cascade Mountains, gaining 2,500 feet (a half mile) in elevation over seven miles. It took nine hours. Wow, that trail was steep!

We couldn't find the second lake because it was covered with snow. Above the first lake, the trail was snow covered with water running under it in places = dangerous. Looking for the trail, we wound up on the Pacific Crest Trail above the lakes on a snowy glacier near a high mountain pass. I should have had crampons or Yak-Trax with me.

We were careful and stayed safe. We avoided stepping where water was running underneath the snow. Stamping foot holds, we tested the snow before putting our full weight on it. Calculated risks.
 vestaceres
Msg: 29
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/29/2012 11:44:10 PM
I think I will live abroad, again - in India, this time.
 Akizzej
Msg: 30
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/30/2012 1:41:58 AM
Definitely less, as at the moment... I have a seven year old totally 100% reliant upon me remaining in his life. In fact one of the last big risks I took was flying across the world to meet his father. Hmmm. Kids certainly know how to put a 'halt' on the fun. lol

I do, however, hope to regain part of my 'excitablity' and adventure when he's older and independent... and I hope I can impart the benefit of age and wisdom in his life, so that he also sees the benefits in taking risks - albeit, very calculated risks. {currently, he has no fear so he has no idea of 'what can go wrong'. }
 Aura1shine
Msg: 31
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/30/2012 2:41:21 AM
We go through life with all the risk lurking around whether be physical, emotional, or finance at any age. It is a matter of calculated of risk versus benefit. The higher the risk we take, the greater benefit or loss would be. It is depend up on one's can tolerated with anticipation. I have the inner drive for challenges and never regret the risk I took even some failure that other would think it is, but I considered as a valuable lesson learned and able to pass on that lesson for my children. If not thing is venture, then nothing will be gained......life will be so boring to me.

My dream of roaming the globe has not been fulfilled yet and waiting for my children to grow up a little more to enjoy life adventure together.
 tbicon
Msg: 32
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/30/2012 5:22:26 AM
Eight hours? Sounds like a company that is eithet fleecing you ot has no customers. In florida, it takes about ten minutes of training to jump with an expert attached. Now if you are going solo, that's different. Still very little risk.
 YAMACANMECRAZY
Msg: 33
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/30/2012 10:00:03 AM
My theory on risk taking is - we all do it at some point in life. I believe most men spend their entire youth trying to kill themselves - fast cars, faster motorcycles, getting crazy with friends and just plain being irresponsible. While ,it seems, most women do not live so close to the edge in their youth.

Now that I am older and wiser and still alive I choose to live with less risk. However some folks that I've met are just now entering their risky days because they have never experienced the adrenaline of cheating death. And let's face it - the truth is, it is cheating death that makes it fun!

Oh and IMO jumping out of an airplane is an act that defies death. Anyone that denies that is just kidding themselves.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 34
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/30/2012 12:03:47 PM
Here in CA perris lake which is the biggest sky jumping school and facilty in the country. They have to make sure every one of the jumpers goes thru all the lessons. For a solo jump its almost 8 hours for tendon jump its about 6 hours. They are also one of the safest companies in the country. They have 100's or people jump every week and yes every once in a while you read in the papers of someone who jumped to there death..
 zippytwo
Msg: 35
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/30/2012 1:13:03 PM
Well, I take some risks, although I prefer to call it "living outside my comfort zone". I've never been a risk taker. I have become more spontaneous and did take a couple of 'chances' which didn't work out and left me broke and alone. But that was my choice...although I now have trust issues. At this point in my life I'm not about to start jumping out of perfectly good airplanes and hike up Everest. But trying new things interests me. Like taking a cruise (which I did, albeit a weekend cruise!) and jumping on a plane even though I'm terrified of flying! (I've flown 5 times in my life.) When I was married we didn't do anything, so when I found out there was a world out there, I just wanted to explore a bit more!
 Jusneedu
Msg: 36
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/30/2012 1:23:45 PM
I would have to say I take more. And I think it's because I came out of my shyness, and wondering "what if's"....
 TedJMill
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/30/2012 1:32:00 PM

I believe most men spend their entire youth trying to kill themselves - fast cars, faster motorcycles, getting crazy with friends and just plain being irresponsible.

I never did any of that. I didn't get my driver's license until my early 20's, and made my parents promise NOT to surprise me with a car. Motorcycles? I didn't get as far as taking the training wheels off my bicycle. Getting crazy with friends? I never smoke, never drank, never tried drugs, and didn't even date in high school or college. As for irresponsible, I'm the guy who when asked in school to write what I'd do with a million dollars, wrote that I'd invest it at 6% to get a $60,000 a year income.
 Welsh474
Msg: 38
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/30/2012 2:01:49 PM
I don't find going on my motorcycle as risk taking. I don't think going over the speed limit in my car is risk taking. I didn't think going up in a hot air balloon was risk taking, nor going in a boat down the Colorado River or going for a helicopter ride through the Grand Canyon as risk taking. The only thing I did that I thought was slightly risk taking was to get on a plane, fly half way round the world to spend a month in Europe with a brotherinlaw of a friend I'd only "met" via email and telephone conversations. This was a year after my husband's death...and yes, I had two minor anxiety attacks, one in Wales, one in France. But...this was the best thing I could have done for myself, I learned I would survive and be on my own.

To me risk is big changes - divorce, death, career change, job loss, loss of a home, etc. To me, things like skydiving, etc. are not risks.
 RuggedbutReliable
Msg: 39
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/30/2012 3:44:15 PM
I haven't been in a parachute for years - did it on Uncle Sam's nickle and have no real interest as a civilian.
Regarding risk taking, I take risks all of the time otherwise why be alive.
I will say as I have aged my calculation has gotten a whole lot more accurate in limiting whatever variables I can - that said the biggest risk I take is when fire fighting. And I don't even get paid for that either.
While I do not have children at home I do own a successful small business - and as a key employee if I get messed up = no revenue generation.
This does not, however, prevent me from enjoying my life. I am an active volunteer fire fighter, EMT-B, demolition derby competitor, etc - but what I am not and refuse to be is a coach potatoe.
Peace
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 41
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/30/2012 5:43:17 PM
I've done more then enuff risky things in my youth.
Now I am just enjoying surviving em.
:-P
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 42
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/30/2012 9:23:02 PM
Yes, BicyclinGal and akizzej, same here; there is a teen around, so it is not about me, is for them.
tbicon, skydiving is a risk if one is afraid of heights, just as scuba diving is for poor swimmers like myself.
 Will759
Msg: 43
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/31/2012 7:44:38 PM
There is a show I caught a couple of weeks ago on people 50+ who do not sit in a rocking chair. They are out there enjoying themselves! I have always been this way. That is, enjoying being active! If one is going to be reckless about doing something trouble will surely come your way.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 44
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 7/31/2012 7:49:14 PM
I don't see it a risk taking. I simply do what I want to do.

Financially- conservative

Active and go repelling, para-sailing, sailing, ride bikes etc. I don't see it a taking any risks. I just enjoy varied activities.

I was a bit more conservative when my kids were at home- would love to see my grandkids grow up and have families, but I'll still do what I enjoy.
 Dragracer428
Msg: 45
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 8/1/2012 3:58:01 AM
Different people take risks at different points in their life. I drag race and regularly go 145 MPH in the 1/4 mile in a car I built but do not see it as much of a risk. I do know what happens when things go wrong though.

The risktaker is my mother who told me last summer for her 80th birthday (April just past) she wanted a pass in my car.
Last Sunday it happened, only to the 1/8 mile or so 120ish mph but almost 2 g's leaving the start line. She thought it was an amazing ride. LOL
 soflnighteagle
Msg: 46
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 8/3/2012 6:30:37 AM
This is an interesting question.

I think that when we were younger we took a lot of risks that we just didn't consider, now when we do something we realize the risks and try to minimize them. I know that when I was younger I came close to dying 4 times, not so since I have gotten older, yet I do tend to try things that may seem more risky, but is it risky to bungee jump if you check all equipment first, or to shydive if you make sure everything is in proper order? I just think we understand better the danger we may face now than we did when we were young.
 JoseMadre
Msg: 47
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 8/4/2012 2:17:30 PM
I've been skydiving, but as the sole parent of an 8 year old whose siblings are in their early 20's and whose only living grandparent is 80 I tend to avoid unnecessary risks nowadays. Ten years from now? I'll probably climb Everest.
 raicor
Msg: 49
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 8/5/2012 9:19:54 PM
thanks for not boring us with another divorce detail saga. :) wouldn't touch anything of risk, personally chosen, with regard to my life until the child was out of university and working. hence, mine was, maybe as yours, responsible parentally driven. risk / reward is a sword, that, when swung should be swung true and with intent. otherwise, most likely a lost limb or worse... analogy aside, i am going hot air ballooning this summer. but, i will be sure to take an extra large umbrella. ;)
 pfif
Msg: 50
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 8/6/2012 9:11:27 AM
For the most part, no -- I am risk-averse, and well schooled in safety
practices of all sorts. I sometimes forget and break loose on the bicycle.

Even this year, I barreled through an intersection without a thought,
until I was halfway through it and remembered -- to slow down. That
was just one time; for some odd reason the pure joy of pedaling my
azz off, won out over the constant muscle-memory of conservative,
vehicular riding.

I used to ride a motorcycle (and was quite skilled there). Now, I won't,
because I know the outcome of a bad spill is not something that is ever
worth risking, just for a pleasurable experience. I do not need to do that,
to have a sense I've lived well -- I have. I did plenty when younger. I do
mean plenty.

Okay, there are some risks I'd still take, but not if I had a partner who was
in the least opposed to it. No way I'd make them go through any grief, just
for another experience. On the other hand, if there is real danger present,
I will step up -- I hope. I usually do. I might countermand a suggestion from
a mate, not to. I hope I don't end up with someone who would put the arm
on me, for to not to do something that needs doing.

I've already gone back into a burning building to get a resident out. I never
saw it as much of a risk (still don't -- I knew the progress of the fire when I
did so). It was not like the movies; only that one old lady made a big deal
out of it, afterward.

That is the kind of risk that's worth taking. So many other kinds, simply aren't,
in my book. Ymmv.

EDIT: I'm very averse to surgery of any kind, or medication of any kind. Those,
to me, are significant risks I normally won't take, and I see options there that
others consider more risky -- I disagree.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 8/6/2012 6:35:15 PM
I've never been much of a risk-taker....even as a child....and I am not one now.
 WilliamSE
Msg: 52
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 8/6/2012 9:42:02 PM
I took many risks when I was younger. As I reached 35 to 40 I began taking less risks. I also switched from being a Democrat to being a Conservative. I have met too many good people in my life that are handicapped because of accidents of some sort. I have heard so many stories about the pain they had to go through in rehabilitation. Some of them spent years in rehab. Some still have lots of pain. I realized I had nothing to prove anymore, so I do not have desires to jump out of airplanes, or ride in hot air Balloons. I definitely do not have a desire to ride motorcycles in Los Angeles. Though the saving gasoline would be so nice, it's just to dangerous in LA. Maybe when I am wealthy I will buy a helicopter for transportation. Maybe a Learjet, but I will not have a desire to jump out of them.
 pfif
Msg: 53
Risk taking in midlife
Posted: 8/6/2012 10:15:34 PM
Pfif, biking on some roads is risk-taking enough! :-)

You bet.

I do most of my riding before 8:00 a.m. and I set up the house as if
I'll be hospitalized for a month, without being able to return, to shut
off appliances &c., every time I head out the door to ride the
bicycle.

Because that might be the outcome.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >