Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What kind of response rates are other guys seeing here?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ShamyrL
Msg: 245
What kind of response rates are other guys seeing here?Page 13 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
I would say I get around a 40 % response rate. To confirm this I actually went to my contact history and counted the ones who responded to be sure. 19 women responded out of the 46 women I contacted. It helps just to focus on those women who you have things in common with and who have viewed your profile first!
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 246
What kind of response rates are other guys seeing here?
Posted: 9/23/2012 2:24:29 AM
Update.. Before I deploy just to see if it was different I tried online while I train in TX then NM, I will continue when I go back to TX and also when see family in MN before I deploy. Thus far NM has had the most replies from quality profiles. While being just as picky as ever I had 60% responses. Even fit a great date in on the one day I did not have to work. It really looks like LA is just a hard place. Harder more superficial people with bigger attitudes.
 stovo82
Msg: 247
Posted: 9/23/2012 4:09:59 AM
this site is a total waste of time.
POS leaves me feeling more angry and frustrated and confirms my bad feelings that most females are shallow.
 AreaManSeeking
Msg: 248
Posted: 9/23/2012 9:23:33 AM
Most of you guys are a bunch of ****ing babies!

Who the hell would be interested in most of you anyway? Just because you think you're cool and interesting and good-looking doesn't really matter if you're not any of those things to someone else.

Get over yourselves. Read a book, go to a museum, volunteer to help someone less fortunate. Make yourself interesting already!
 ArticLife
Msg: 249
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2012 1:02:05 AM
I think I average 1 in 10, maybe. I imagine location, and your age are two of the most critical aspects; besides pictures of course.

I try not to think about it though. I'm in no rush. Eventually given enough swings in the lake I will get lucky. I mostly just look at new profiles now, every couple of weeks.
 Iamhereonthissite
Msg: 250
Posted: 10/6/2012 5:28:07 AM
Even if you do get a response, the next challenge is getting them to meet with you. First, you'll be having great emails back and forth, then they pull the ol' disappearing act. lol.
 red smarties
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2012 5:47:25 AM
sciencetreker, I'm taking your last paragraph and putting in on my profile page. You have hit on exactly how women want to be approached, and I'm letting everyone know it is what I want also. Kudos to you.
 Lionesse19
Msg: 252
Posted: 10/6/2012 3:29:31 PM
mightyoaks

You need a profile rework for a start. The header is rather silly. You look attractive but you dont seem serious about any of it. You didnt ask for profile review so you take or leave my advice.
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 253
Posted: 10/7/2012 5:57:13 PM
Well I messaged a lady a few days ago and the message went like this " you have a fly on you in one of your pics".....no reply yet!!!!
 learnin2flyhi110269
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2012 7:54:33 PM
10% or so.....you can't take it personally, as I'm sure we all don't respond to someone who messages us from time to time. Just gotta look at it as "next!"....
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 255
Posted: 10/7/2012 8:22:39 PM
I've just improved; I'm now 1 for every 326,223.

Not bad, not bad

Itsprettysimple
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2018 7:03:43 PM
To put it bluntly, most of the woman here or a high percentage are users ON men...!! While they profess to NOT be used, they muddle that attitude because they are setting you up to be used by them....Really...! Most date the revolving door of men for free meals, free booze and a host of things.. I've only had a couple not looking for something to use since they dumped their men or husbands for another man they can control or do what they wanta with. Just remember, you are there for their pickings. I really think POF is for woman since men are used there. I have been with quite a number on POF and have learned from experience these facts...

There are also woman whom are "Has Beens", "Defunct" or some other reason they don't fit into society anymore and actually dumped by their husbands, so they trove POF for the unsuspecting victim of there terrible life and someone whom will pay for it to be fixed.... Woman are also looking for your money, not some of course whom are all set, but most. Sorry but it is primarily a hookup site, but you have to play the female game and by the time you play, you really realize you don't want most ALL of them, period.

And if you don't care about most things, play games on woman first before they snag you into their games, then you can hook up a bunch of times.. Some of them also just are not too intelligent, sorry to say...
Best of Luck..
 catniagara
Msg: 257
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2018 5:46:37 PM
1 in 1.... but I'm a woman.

They all respond and let's see....

20% are just scamming for a place to live.
5% are advertisers
5% are ***holes who make extremely stupid comments "Sure Im 500 lbs but any girl over 120 lbs is disgusting"
10% waste months of my time chatting and then don't show up for the date.
10% have a fake pic
20% just want to get my phone number so I can't block their psycho advances
20% make a date and don't bother to show up. Because I have sooo much time to waste.
5% think they're worth paying for for some reason.
4% meet someone else and ghost me because she looks like a model, finally meet her realize her pic was fake and then start messaging me again after 3 months of ghosting like
"Oh hey! How have YOU been?!" I've been REAL. Dipstick.

So yeah, I'm going to call it 1% response rate and 99% headache. I think that's why so many girls just leave. I wouldn't even be here if it weren't so fun to screenshot the dpuchiest comments and put them on my profile.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2018 2:52:49 PM

And if you don't care about most things, play games on woman first before they snag you into their games, then you can hook up a bunch of times.. Some of them also just are not too intelligent, sorry to say...

I think your POV is pretty exaggerated, though. If any guy (or gal) is only wanting to meet someone out of their league, they're bound to running into a dead-end if they're looking for a normal dating scenario. Second, you don't have to preemptively play games with a gal to diffuse her playing games -- as many won't. Not to any notable degree, anyway. You just walk when she starts being like that. If that's All you deal with and would have to walk from almost all women, then you're barking up the wrong trees -- many times, via looks, she "can do better", but is settling on you yourself... which is going to have it's stipulations that You will be frustrated about.

20% are just scamming for a place to live.
5% are advertisers ...............
So yeah, I'm going to call it 1% response rate and 99% headache.

I think your POV is Very very exaggerated. :) Not to say there's not some truth to it, and it's frustrating for ya. But it's frustrating when it's guys we are attracted to who fits in that 90+% you talk about, and just annoying if it's an Ad or obvious fake pic.

For girls, their woes can feel better once they know what (almost all) guys get: Nothing or virtually nothing from anyone they're even somewhat attracted to -- and even the clearly not-attracted ones initiate a message Rarely.

Almost all People would rather have their mailboxes full of "everything", where only 5% they'd be willing to talk to, and only 2% of that 5% they'd be willing to go out on a date with -- than not get anyone writing them. Way more of a pain to have to write so many, with So Few responses VS merely weeding thru a mailbox like a Yah00 Email where there are do-ables in the mix.

As far as 30% just wanting to chat or make a date but bail -- it's not a guy thing, trust me. :) That's dating in general, online or offline. Although that 10% just-chatting is higher online... but Zero Zero Zero empathy for gals who run into a guy just wanting to chat, when she doesn't even ask him if he'd like to meet. That's her fault, too -- as that's just a Mexican Standoff.
 Call_me_Handy
Msg: 259
Posted: 2/3/2018 6:06:05 PM
1 in 6 or 7 as has been the norm anytime I have been looking. Long haired smokers have limited appeal in any age group, my age may be worse. Understandably a woman who quit smoking and still have cravings will not go near me.
3 meetups, 1 dumped me, I dumped one, dinner and a show with #3 next weekend after last nights meetup.

I get frustrated occasionally like everyone else, but am optimistic guy and given some time a great lady will come along who is interested.
 HanoverFella
Msg: 260
Posted: 2/4/2018 10:10:03 AM
I have met many nice women on here, a couple lasted over a year, a few lasted a couple weeks, some never got past the first meet, it seems that just when I reach the point I don’t care anymore, and embrace being single, a nice lady will message me ( usually because they never had a photo) and ones without pictures are not in my searches.

When you feel yourself reaching the point of bitterness, sometimes a break from OLD helps
Good luck
 Dinno76
Msg: 261
Posted: 2/4/2018 9:12:28 PM
80 % of women only want 20% of men. I have seen men with alot of money have women fight over them and men that are flat broke have women fight over them.
 Call_me_Handy
Msg: 262
Posted: 2/5/2018 11:08:12 AM

80 % of women only want 20% of men

Don't really see those numbers as accurate but I am not really looking or spend much time thinking about.
May be true for the high profile people that want to "be seen to to be seen". In the real world in my experience most women are looking for someone they can trust and is open to a relationship. Yes both parties have to look good enough to each other to get the motors running. LOL
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2018 12:30:31 PM

80 % of women only want 20% of men
Don't really see those numbers as accurate but I am not really looking or spend much time thinking about.

I think it's a pretty accurate ballpark figure. Think about it: You set up a POF profile for a gal at work. You're leaning over her desk showing her POF, as she's new to the online dating thing. She's scrolling down in a search, looking over some guys. You Really think she's going to like more than 1 out of 5 guys? Naw, it'll highly likely be less than that. More like 1 out of 10 she'll click on if her tastes/desires in dating aren't on some narrow scope.

Then you go to 4 other gals' cubicles -- all within the same general age range -- there'll be some variance, and even though they only find 1 out of 10 click-worthy, and less than that reply-worthy if said guy writes her a reasonable 1st msg.... they all cover about 1 out of 5 guys, mostly skipping 4 out of 5 of them... but some bleed-over. You can bet the gal bleeding into the 4-out-of-5 guys the others skip -- isn't That great looking.

And really, this is all about looks, generally speaking. Which includes pics not just of your facial/body construct, but what it seems to display about you, if applicable -- which is still a visual. Tastes aren't random by any means. There's a strong trend.

If you have 10 real cute gals (7-8 out of 10 on the looks-scale), they're going to get the mailboxes flooded in this 2.5:1 sausagefest... and Very rarely are they going to reply to slightly above-average John (5.5).
 Call_me_Handy
Msg: 264
Posted: 2/5/2018 12:37:36 PM

If you have 10 real cute gals (7-8 out of 10 on the looks-scale), they're going to get the mailboxes flooded in this 2.5:1 sausagefest... and Very rarely are they going to reply to slightly above-average John (5.5).

I have 20 years on you, the 2.5-1 ratio does not exist in my age group. Looking at it from my experience which would be similar to the Forumite who posted it.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2018 1:09:40 PM

I have 20 years on you, the 2.5-1 ratio does not exist in my age group.

True. But there's still many more. In another 10 years or so, assuming you only toward gals close to your age, it'll begin to come close to evening out (last I checked in mid-cities in the over 70s+ range). I wish POF allowed us to submit an Advanced Search right after logging out (so you don't get filtered) to get the Real # of men / women in age selection.

When I checked a good while ago, mid-late 50s, I believe it was around a 2:1 ratio. A little better. But still uphill for guys. That said, especially with gals in general being more hesitant on pulling the trigger with "strangers" online -- average Joes are going to be out back, feeding off the scraps. Hence the general complaint by date-active women about men just-wanting-sex -- moreso than what we observe among our guy-friends. "No Sally, if he likes you, he wants more than just sexual interaction. But when you're getting a guy a little out of your league, which happens a lot in a 2.5:1 circle, he's likely just settling on whatever he can get, and at the end of the day, he only likes you to the degree of casually hanging out when he's got nothing going on, and when doing so, fooling around. That's it."

That said, I guess I should assume that those who are nearing retirement age probably put more into a guy's job/life security VS gals in their 30s & 40s (where it's still an issue tho). So being a guy in that "20%" probably doesn't weigh quite as heavily on looks. Although, when online, looks is pretty much it -- and just a few pass/fail markers on things like height, job description (which I'm assuming carries more weight, the older ya get).
 Dinno76
Msg: 266
Posted: 2/5/2018 5:02:56 PM
When it comes to online dating it is totally about looks. A man has to be a 10+ in the looks department to get any messages from ladies. A lady can be a 4 in the looks department and she would still get plenty of messages from men. At least when to applying to people under 50 years old. Not sure about people older than that.
 Platinum_Blonde_Angel
Msg: 267
Posted: 2/5/2018 5:26:59 PM
^^ I disagree

You have a self defeatist attitude & THAT holds you back.

Plus that numbers crap is juvenile.

Walk around a mall or Walmart & look at couples- how many 10+ men do you see? & who are they with?

Look at real people w/o a warped, self-deprecating filter on.

PS- go to profile review
 nba24
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2018 12:37:54 AM
If you get response back from like 10% of people. For me its like 1%.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2018 12:49:37 AM

When it comes to online dating it is totally about looks.

When it comes to having an actual chance, you're correct. Negative effects outside of looks can still kill it, tho.

A man has to be a 10+ in the looks department to get any messages from ladies.

Total exaggeration, unless you're talking about a 20-pt scale on looks. :) Otherwise, there wouldn't be 80% guys ignored, 20% guys getting replies. It'd be more like 99% ignored, 1% getting replies, if that. A guy has to project himself as a viable, comfortable option to interact with -- and looks greater than guys' who she can readily get on there.

A lady can be a 4 in the looks department and she would still get plenty of messages from men.

I wouldn't say Plenty, if not in an over-populated area. But yeah, they'll get more than guys who are 7s because in general, guys write girls -- very little the other way around. And there are plenty of guys who are 2s/3s/4s online, who will be hitting up a gal who's a 4. Even though she may not be some "hot catch" to many of them, she'll still be within the range for many to be genuinely hangout-worthy.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What kind of response rates are other guys seeing here?