Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > can pics of younger days give insight into the person of today?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jusneedu
Msg: 23
can pics of younger days give insight into the person of today?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I don't mid seeing pictures of the guys when they were younger, thier jobs, hobbies, etc..., as long as they at least say something under it to let us know when it was taken. And then telling about them in thier profile is just a plus for me. It gives me some insite on what they did look like, and who they were, and who they are and look like today.

But the ones that have these 26 plus year old pictures like the one guy had on here 7 years ago, and still has it on here as of today claiming he looked the same, is rediculous.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 24
can pics of younger days give insight into the person of today?
Posted: 8/1/2012 5:50:45 AM

It could, but not necessarily. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but they don't say which words they are. As you can see from the posts to this thread not everyone sees things the same way. You saw this man in a positive light, where others would have looked at the same picture negatively.

You might see a picture of someone who was a hippy in their younger days that turned out to be a corporate executive. Bill Gates comes to mind. What insight does that give me? It's difficult to say what makes people who they are today. One person who was a reject in their youth might use that experience to turn it around and be a rock star or a world leader where another might use it as an excuse for failure.

I can say that IRL when I see an elderly person I often try to imagine them in their younger years. I suppose it's a psychological game I play by myself to mentally invision them when they were stronger, healthier and generally more attractive.

I do the reverse with younger people. I'll look at a 27 year old in their prime and invision them after 2 children and 25 years tacked on. I mean when you are comparing a 25 year old physically with a 50 year old you aren't really comparing apples to apples. Honestly a 50 year old man or woman who keeps a youthful figure should be praised a whole lot more than the 25 year old who has metabolism, no children and youthful energy on her side. But that isn't the picture people see.

If I were doing a profile review I would never suggest someone use an older picture. As the catman said, people will analyze it to death, so it would most likely do more harm than good.

From what I have seen of your posts Kaylee you tend to see people in a postive way. IMO that's commendable, but not the norm.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/1/2012 6:10:09 AM
No.. I do not believe pictures of younger days can give an accurate insight to who the person is today.

My friend's ex husband.. horrible abusive personality.. showed me photos of him when younger.
What a fine looking young man! In ALL the photos.
In fact the more current photos of him in his 50's.. still shows a nice looking guy smiling.

I would imagine most of the "younger days" photos of people who became child molestors, robbers, scam artists, etc. would give no insight into who they are now.

Then there's physical attributes.
Lord have mercy.. about the only thing that stayed consistant pretty much through my whole life is my hair being long!

Then there's 'activities'.
I've a photo of a younger me playing the violin... now days about all I could do with one is make it squeek.
Etc. Etc.
The most we can 'get' from older photos of activities is "well, look what they did in their past".
 drewcornwall
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2012 9:00:55 AM
All depends really, I have a very current one on my profile, I have ones from like 20 years ago on my computer, if asked i would show them., Im just a bit thinner, lol, I like past photo`s but its just down to being honest really.
 infennario
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/1/2012 9:39:43 AM
Oh, I definitely like it! I think it does give insight into who the person is today. I’ve seen photos of men who are now in their 50’s or 60’s that show them in their 20’s playing basketball in college, playing in rock bands, holding their newborn child who is now 25 or 30. I think its neat! I like seeing the feathered hair, the short basketball shorts, the oversized glasses and the joy in their faces- the self-conscious cool of the rock star guys, the intense competitiveness of the jock guys. I think it’s a smart and accurate way to show the person’s life and personality. From what I’ve seen, once a rock star, always a rock star (in attitude). Once a jock, always a jock (in attitude).
 Wonder5750
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2012 10:01:02 AM
infennario.. you beat me to it :) Yes we are the sum total of all our life experiences. Not that we need to relive the old glory days, but it can give insight to what type of personality and what things do motivate or bring folks joy. :)
 SONNI100
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/1/2012 10:08:41 AM
Just me...don't care to see old pictures..figure if we get together, we can look at photo albums from years past.
 drewcornwall
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2012 10:21:07 AM
Bit like going to your folks ,and pulling out the old teen pictures, or when you were in dypers<< is that right spelling?..

If Garf brooks was here, get`s his guitar out, I can see some excited woman..

"Now where is my Stetson.."
 MacInOC
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/1/2012 11:25:08 AM
Yes and No. Chances are the activity being shown in an old photo still holds an interest. These thing don't change. As someone pointed out - the activity attitude can remain.

But experience has shown people's values change over time. I dated someone I knew very well from my high school days. When I looked at her, I "saw" the same person I remembered. But the values (such that they are in high school) were completely different. What I remembered as a very fun, carefree, giving person I grew up with, turned out to be one of the most selfish, self centered, jaded persons I've ever met. It was a very strange, and sad, psychological experiment.
 authenticoutlook
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/15/2012 8:29:20 AM
^^^ Same thing happened to me last year! Dated someone I knew when I was in my twenties. He was still the very outgoing person I once knew and enjoyed his company when I was around him when we were younger as he used to make everyone laugh.

Initially, I was quite taken with him. Unfortunately, as time went on, It was the rest of him I didn't get and that was ever changing and was quite convoluted and unbearable. Big mistake!
 jham123
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/15/2012 11:26:27 AM
Oh, I definitely like it! I think it does give insight into who the person is today. I’ve seen photos of men who are now in their 50’s or 60’s that show them in their 20’s playing basketball in college, playing in rock bands, holding their newborn child who is now 25 or 30. I think its neat! I like seeing the feathered hair, the short basketball shorts, the oversized glasses and the joy in their faces- the self-conscious cool of the rock star guys, the intense competitiveness of the jock guys. I think it’s a smart and accurate way to show the person’s life and personality. From what I’ve seen, once a rock star, always a rock star (in attitude). Once a jock, always a jock (in attitude).

Kaylee, sorry some of the others aren't grasping the concept but I think infennario and myself fully catch your drift.

We conform......we morph into whatever society needs us to look like ESPECIALLY for our careers...

"I" am not what I look like, but in order to earn what I earn I look like what I look like.......

Is that a sad statement? You betcha.....is that something I preferred?? Not on your life. My preference wasn't taken into consideration by societal demands......I didn't make society what it is today...society made itself and I had to conform to fit into society and to succeed within it......

All that being said, My younger photo's capture the essence of who I am back when I was FREE! I am still that person, I just cannot take that side of me and blab it all over work, etc.....

You'd have to really get to know me to know who I am deep down inside.

Don't get me wrong, you'd like the "Today' version just fine. But I keep my inner "Rock Star", "Inner Jock" , "Inner Race Car Driver" to myself unless you delve into me......A picture is worth a thousand words.
 jham123
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/15/2012 11:42:59 AM
Also, I've been having a blast seeing Classic Rock shows these past ~5 years......

I skipped going to live shows for a decade or so for who knows why....Crazy Ex didn't like this or that band...whatever...

Anyway, I show up to the shows and I LOVE to people watch....and I see the excitement in the mid 40s year old folks before the show....and YOU KNOW they are overdoing it etc.....but the show is exciting, they are excited, we all wanna dance, sing along, cheer and clap for our favorite performers from the 70s and 80s....

I like to sit back in envision what this person may have looked like 25 years ago....it's really fun and you can just see their inner beauty come shining through 10 years of troubled thyroid induced weight issues. That person doesn't "want" to be obese....but guess what? Health issues aren't cooperating.....

I met up with a high School friend just last January....this girl had the most killer smoking hot a$$ in her 20s....I mean the hottest body......but years later and after fighting addiction and other health issues, she is 5' 5" and 250lbs.....

Yes, I could still see the old friend inside her eyes, but to a person seeing her for the first time, the way she looked now?? (Let's all be honest)
 vanityfair55
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/15/2012 6:16:11 PM
I love looking at old pics of people they can tell alot.
 LoveMyDog55
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/15/2012 7:10:54 PM
Having newer and older photos is better than none ~ why would anyone bother to contact someone without a photo???

No photo just says they having something to hide
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/16/2012 10:47:19 AM
Some of you haven't done anything... some of you have no past, ....Some of you are boring.....for me it has worked in my favour.....

Doesn't give any insight to the person.....thats why we have profiling

I was a boxer/golden gloves....I was on the Military Biathlon team/84 Olympics....I have climbed Everest ,k2, Mt Logan etc...I played 5 instruments, now one, I was a Firefighter, EMT, Police Officer....And served 30yrs in the Military( 3 tours Bosnia 3tours Afghan and several others).....but thats not who I am really.....and thats all in my past...."smiling"

Why do we have a list on here....ex. Education.....etc...
 Lionesse19
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/18/2012 9:22:53 PM
We are very different 20 years on than when we were young and I would not bother with anyone who posts old pics.
I dont get your reasoning at all. You are out to date the guy as he is now and not from the distant past. We can feel young always but the body and face are older and that is what counts at least, at first. Lets face it.
 lighthouseseas
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/18/2012 11:11:32 PM
I could never figure out why anyone would post a younger pic of themselves. To me it just says, "look at how I used to be" and what's the point of that? I would never post a younger pic of myself...what would be the point?
If I want to learn about their past lives...I'll ask them.
A person is either attractive to me or not. I've met plenty of guys who have apparently ONLY posted very old pics of themselves and believe me that really sucks when trying to have a first meeting...walking up to complete strangers asking if they are Tom D*** or Harry.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/19/2012 1:25:00 PM
My first feelings were they were locked in a time warp and not accepting the aging process--it is sorta of "Hey look at me, I USED to be..blah blah blah." But I have seen pictures of a guy in his 20 on a stage in a band rocking out (showing the skill level he played at). I think that is a bit different than the pic across a car just showing when she/he used to have a rocking body.

Some people are still stuck in 1980 (or if older 1970, etc). The glory days of high school when they were the quarterback or the head of the cheer-leading squad. If they haven't progressed past that time frame in their life and accepted who they are now GENERALLY they are attention seekers who are constantly trying to replace that fame and are needy for attention from everyone, so unless you are willing to be balm to an ego I have a tendency to steer away.

I prefer someone who dwells in the present and doesn't view their age as a reason to slow down--many people have chosen this time in their life to reinvent who they are and push themselves forward onto better things. So the bottom line is attitude --whats going on in their head--are they missing their past so much they want to be back there or are they excited about their future opportunities.
 southmeetswest
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2012 5:50:48 PM
jham and a few others,
thanks for getting it. you actually gave me some insight into what i was feeling about this picture thing. as i mentioned in my post, i think that often times when we say we feel a much younger age, it is because we are still at the core, before life and survival took us in, the same in many ways. there was a freedom, a joy, untainted to life. we still knew how to play and have fun and enjoy just being.....
it is not all about not recognizing our aging bodies, or trying to live the glory days, sometimes it is just remembering and attempting to show who we are are the core still today.

i feel a little lucky to have had that understanding come to me.....

i wish that more posters could hesitate before they respond, work through the judgements they feel ready to spill out, and actually think about what is said or asked on these forums.

i do agree with some that talked of a poster not having current photos, that is a little bit off putting. but in this particular case i mentioned he did have 3 or 4 current photos and only one younger one.

kaylee
 zippytwo
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/20/2012 1:00:08 PM
No, a picture from 20 or even 10 years ago does not give you insight into the person is. They've lived a lifetime since then, had good experiences, bad experiences...if they haven't grown in 10 or 20 years, well, wow. Some people probably post older pictures because they looked better then! We all did. I met a guy who, I learned when I met him, had posted a picture of at least 20 years ago. He did not resemble the picture at all. As a matter of fact, when he walked into the restaurant, he recognized me, I wouldn't have recognized him. So, again, no there would be no recent insight into who a person was 20 years ago. JMHO
 mjseek
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/20/2012 2:18:08 PM
I see nothing wrong with posting (1) photos of one selves in their younger years, as long as there are enough current photos to give an accurate portrait of the person as they appear to be today. What I do have problems with, are the ones that post photos of their pets, landscape, or of their material possessions minus themselves.
 Zoe_
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/29/2012 11:28:10 PM
you're correct...it does give you insight into a carefree spirit, every generation prefers those they relate to.
when i was young there were two distinct camps of young people, and rarely did one traverse the other. life was pretty simple back then...for example...woodstock , yes or no?
 NCnavetG8r
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2012 8:48:40 AM
I'm really surprised by so many responses saying they aren't interested in, or don't want to see older pics in profiles. Of course people should have recent pictures of themselves first and foremost, but there's nothing wrong with having older pictures also if they say something about you and how you got where you are today. Older pics can be great conversation pieces! You can say all day long, until you're blue in the face, "I'm not the same person I was 30 years ago". That's true for all of us, but we also wouldn't be who we are today without learning from all our life experiences. I have some older pics in my profile. Not because I'm trying to live in the past, but because they tell a part of my life story that led to where I am now. I'd much rather see a wide variety of pictures in someone's profile showing them doing things that reveal who they are as a person. Seeing 10 shots of the same person in the same bathroom, through the same mirror, from 10 different angles tells me nothing personal about the individual. Just saying.
 stayinalivefl
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/1/2012 11:09:16 AM
ever see post office pics??? lol
 stayinalivefl
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/1/2012 12:42:30 PM
Yes ,look @ Van Halen,,,lol
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > can pics of younger days give insight into the person of today?