Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Texting or Calling?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dancelaughsmile
Msg: 26
Texting or Calling?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Without a doubt,I prefer to hear the voice of the individual that i'm speaking to.It feels more personable.
 cuteguy_28
Msg: 27
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/9/2012 4:14:12 AM
Texting does not show your real voice and the tone of the person voice...

Text is just words. I am one of those people who love calling the person and talking over on my phone than texting when i am on the go. I FEEL I can hear and understand the person tone better.
 The_Four_95s
Msg: 28
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/11/2012 11:51:01 AM
All these cell phones that come out, they all can text, even if its ten-key not smartphone.

Text, but if you really want the lowdown, ask the person what they like. Dont generalize or think its a rule.
 Sepa-Isis
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/11/2012 5:11:13 PM
Personally I prefer texting over a phone call in the beginning, as I don’t want to appear rude when I have to end a conversation soon after it started since I am always on the run.
 O_oSPANKYo_O
Msg: 30
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/12/2012 1:46:14 AM
I must agree .a good conversation is a must .personal could look hot but a shallow personal ..eeww boring
 Serephena
Msg: 31
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/12/2012 5:45:35 PM
I prefer initial contact through text and then we set up a time to do a phone call-usually the night before the actual date. Yes, I said date-I have never ever done a meet and greet and never will. Once I am in a reltionship, then we usually text on and off and then maybe 2x a week, talk on the phone.
 morehereasu
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/12/2012 6:11:02 PM
I totally agree with holycowwow!!!!
 providence15
Msg: 33
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/12/2012 6:17:41 PM
send a short text initially: is this a good time to call?

i personally refuse to waste time texting/thinking about people who I do not consider very good friends. call me. i want to hear your voice and then set a day to meetup.
 liftnw8z
Msg: 34
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/15/2012 7:51:10 PM
I am super selective on replying to any messages on here, so my having a woman's number off of here is highly unlikely in the first place. If I were to get that far, I would make a call over texting.

Texting drives me bananas. As a busy professional who is on the go a lot, I just don't have the time to mess with texting as I do a lot of driving to and from meetings and such. Much, much easier to chat on the phone for any sort of extended conversation. That and the couple times I did give my number out it seemed texting lead to sexting and that set up a bunch of false expectations that fell miserably short and ended badly.
 rocktman1973
Msg: 35
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/3/2012 7:33:46 PM
I'm starting to hate it when the woman gives me her # for me to text. Things will start off great on here, with long messages 2 or 3 times a day. We seem to be interested in one another, then she'll slip me her cell # and tells me to text instead. We'll start texting for a couple days, then all of a sudden, texts get shorter and shorter. Then some days, no texts. Then they disappear. This seems to be more and more common for me now. Before, women used to be obsessed with MSN Messenger (does that even exist any more? I use to hate that as well.). Now they are obsessed with texting. All the guys I know hate texting, including myself, but women are obsessed with it.

It even says on my profile that I'm NOT looking for a text buddy. It's impossible to get to know someone via texts all the time. I'd rather meet her in person. Texts are great for people that already know each other and have started dating. It's great if you are suppose to meet that person, but are going to be late. Give them a quick text. It's not made for excessive communication to get to know someone.
 DarthPhoenix
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/3/2012 11:13:05 PM
From what i've seen its texting which is not good! Texting is quick and should not be used for an actual conversation. I've noticed many women will text and text before talking which is a no no for me. We can text here and there but nothing beats a conversation.
 Cynthia729
Msg: 37
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/4/2012 3:41:01 PM
It depends on the age of the woman. Im 40 and appreciate if a man-if he's a man-calls me to talk, especially in the beginning. Younger women might not mind texting all the time.
Calling makes the man, texting makes the boy.
 tnt144
Msg: 38
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/4/2012 10:47:22 PM
More than 90% of communication involves things other than words - at least with a phone call, you have voice inflection. The phone call is better than text, especially in the beginning of a relationship. Later on, it's not as important.
 rocktman1973
Msg: 39
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/11/2012 12:04:21 AM
I've actually had women lose interest in me because I don't text enough! What is with women being obsessed with texting? I have a job which doesn't allow me to have time to text. So from 6am-5pm I'm in a no text time frame. I'd like to come home, take my dog out for exercise, shower, eat, then relax. By the time I go to text, it's 8:00-9:00 at night. Then they get mad at me cause I didn't text earlier or they really get pissed if I don't text them first. These are 35-43 year old women, so they are not kids. Don't women have brains? What ever happened to a nice 20 minute chat on the phone, then meet for coffee? No one does that any more.
 abmccray
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/11/2012 8:08:30 AM
If you don't have time to text, where you can multitask, how in the world do you have time to chat 20 mins on the phone?
 Googleplus
Msg: 41
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/11/2012 1:09:37 PM

If you don't have time to text, where you can multitask, how in the world do you have time to chat 20 mins on the phone?

Texting takes a lot longer to communicate, talking on the phone is faster. Texting is a time waster.
 abmccray
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/11/2012 1:15:13 PM

Texting takes a lot longer to communicate, talking on the phone is faster. Texting is a time waster.

Look at what the post that you're replying to was in response to:

I'd like to come home, take my dog out for exercise, shower, eat, then relax. By the time I go to text, it's 8:00-9:00 at night. Then they get mad at me cause I didn't text earlier or they really get pissed if I don't text them first. These are 35-43 year old women, so they are not kids. Don't women have brains? What ever happened to a nice 20 minute chat on the phone, then meet for coffee? No one does that any more.

So, he's too busy to send a "how was your day" text out during the day that takes all of one minute, but has time for a 20 minute phone conversation? Does not compute. (And who wants to spend 20 minutes just sitting on the phone with someone unless you can't talk to them in person for a while? Either see them or send a text asking direct questions/making specific plans that can be read/answered at lesiure.)
 _shakti_
Msg: 43
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/11/2012 1:44:24 PM

I completely disagree. It is way faster for me to fire off a text when I have a second, and get back to the response later than to set aside a chunk of time to talk on the phone.

Between work and stuff going on with my kids, I often don't have time to sit down and have a 1:1 talk without a multitude of interruptions. Plus, it just feels so invasive to my day when I actually DO have time to myself. I vastly prefer texting, having to set aside a time to talk to someone actually annoys me now.

But hey, to each their own.
 abmccray
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/11/2012 2:16:32 PM

Between work and stuff going on with my kids, I often don't have time to sit down and have a 1:1 talk without a multitude of interruptions. Plus, it just feels so invasive to my day when I actually DO have time to myself. I vastly prefer texting, having to set aside a time to talk to someone actually annoys me now.

Outside of kids, which I don't have, I relate. I'm typically always doing two things at once - at work and at home, or else carving out time for things like working out or events or bars or whatever. There's no time where I'm just sitting still for 30 minutes paying attention to nothing but someone on the phone (unless it's a road trip or something). Texts make it so easy to answer when I'm able to, and get the point across while making time, and they take seconds to a minute.

I've observed older people (some of whom still have phone lines), and they love talking on the phone because they literally aren't doing anything else for huge chunks of the day with their time. They might be watching television that takes no thought or something similar - but it makes sense that they would love to just sit and hear someone's voice for large chunks of time since they'd otherwise just be idle, for all intents and purposes.
 Googleplus
Msg: 45
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/11/2012 4:39:15 PM
Multitasking can reduce productivity by approximately 40-percent according to some researchers.

Switching from one task to another makes it difficult to tune out distractions and can cause mental blocks that can slow down your progress.

If you are doing several different things at once, then you may be what researchers refer to as a "heavy multitasker." And you probably think that you are fairly good at this balancing act. According to a number of different studies, however, you are probably not as effective at multitasking as you think you are.

In the past, many people believed that multitasking was a good way to increase productivity. After all, if you're working on several different tasks at once, you're bound to accomplish more, right? Recent research, however, has demonstrated that that switching from one task to the next takes a serious toll on productivity. Multitaskers have more trouble tuning out distractions than people who focus on one task at a time. Also, doing so many different things at once can actually impair cognitive ability.

http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/a/costs-of-multitasking.htm

Media Multitasking Is Really Multi-Distracting

Multitaskers who think they can successfully divide their attention between the program on their television set and the information on their computer screen proved to be driven to distraction by the two devices, according to a new study of media multitasking by Boston College researchers.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110502084444.htm

Multi-Tasking Adversely Affects Brain's Learning, UCLA Psychologists Report

Multi-tasking affects the brain's learning systems, and as a result, we do not learn as well when we are distracted, UCLA psychologists report this week in the online edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/07/060726083302.htm
 _shakti_
Msg: 46
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/11/2012 8:15:56 PM
^^ I'm not sure what you are getting at with all of that? You can multitask while talking on the phone too you know, lol..

Some people prefer talking on the phone and others texting.. so what? I guess it's best to not assume or project your own preferences out onto others and instead communicate about which you like best and ask as to their preference too. There's always a way around such things, unless of course you are completely rigid and expect to always have your way.

Jmo :)
 abmccray
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/11/2012 8:19:38 PM
I mentioned multitasking, so he googled multitasking to look for negative studies on it (ignoring that the activities were not specified, meaning that many can easily be done alternately with very little concentration loss, or some don't require equal concentration).
 _shakti_
Msg: 48
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/11/2012 8:22:02 PM
Oh I see, I guess I missed that. Along with its relevance to the thread. Whoops!
 rocktman1973
Msg: 49
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/11/2012 8:24:02 PM
Texting small chat like "how was your day?" is one thing. But the women I'm talking about, want to text for 4 hours straight in the evening and want to get to know all about me that way. It does take A LOT longer to text than it does to chat on the phone. I'd rather talk on the phone for 15-20 minutes every evening, rather than spend all evening typing on a cell phone. If all the woman wants to do is text after a month of first meeting online, is she really serious about meeting in person?? I didn't join POF for a text buddy.
 _shakti_
Msg: 50
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/11/2012 8:41:19 PM
I agree that some topics are best discussed in person or on the phone, but I personally enjoy text-flirting throughout the day in a light manner when I am getting to know someone better. It doesn't interrupt my day, but lets him know that I am thinking of him and vice versa. Some people would rather just wait for that prescheduled phone call.. which, personally.. just feels too planned and boring to me. But to each their own.

I agree that some people just seem to want to message/text endlessly, I've chatted with men who are like that too. It's like they're too scared for an actual meet and are just hiding behind their phone. But not everyone who enjoys texting is that way. I've gone from just texting to a meet before, no phone call at all.. and it was just fine.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Texting or Calling?