Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Texting or Calling?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tgrlily3
Msg: 51
Texting or Calling?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I agree shakti.
Texting is a great way to flirt or chat occaisonally, especially during the work day or if you're doing something else (like watching my kid's football game). I can watch my and text with hot guy during the game and nobody hears us.

But texting isn't a good way to communicate something important effectively. I mean text fighting is so lame or breaking up via text is way stupid (unless the other person is mental). A person needs to know when to text and when to actually talk on the phone.
 abmccray
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/11/2012 9:39:11 PM

Texting small chat like "how was your day?" is one thing. But the women I'm talking about, want to text for 4 hours straight in the evening and want to get to know all about me that way. It does take A LOT longer to text than it does to chat on the phone. I'd rather talk on the phone for 15-20 minutes every evening, rather than spend all evening typing on a cell phone. If all the woman wants to do is text after a month of first meeting online, is she really serious about meeting in person?? I didn't join POF for a text buddy.

Oh yeah, I experienced that before too (and that kind of behavior ended up causing the breakup). In those cases, texting was actually more intrusive than the phone, because it was done for hours on end, with complaints every time you wouldn't answer.
 booserinc
Msg: 53
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/12/2012 12:05:10 AM
I would say it all depends on where you are at with the person. I prefer calls at any point but texting can be way easier. At least before first date a call can be an easy way to lessen the tention and break the ice. May not allways be "meeting up" so sometimes a 20 minute call or longer can be an easy way to get to know the person more. Plus its way easier to read someone from a call. I can be very sarcastic sometimes and a few people dont read that in text.
 Googleplus
Msg: 54
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/12/2012 9:18:50 AM
Typical text addict, I bet you couldn't go 30 days without texting lol You brought up multitasking not me. Btw I already knew about the studies before this discussion.
 Googleplus
Msg: 55
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/12/2012 9:43:03 AM
Try texting while driving let's see what happens lol
 imlookingforward
Msg: 56
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/13/2012 8:18:19 PM
I feel the same way. texting is to impersonal and I thought the point of this was to get personal...
 rocktman1973
Msg: 57
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/13/2012 10:48:35 PM
^^^ I agree with the last two posters. Enough with the typing. I don't understand how a person is suppose to get to know someone well enough, strictly by texts, never a phone call or meeting in person. I only text someone if I want to know how they are doing or if I plan on meeting them, I'll send them off a text to let them know I'm on my way. I don't plan to waste all evening with a phone glued to my hand, texting someone I've never met, telling them about my life story. It makes no sense! Yet, every woman I meet on here is obviously addicted to texting.
 Googleplus
Msg: 58
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/14/2012 10:13:26 AM
Btw a small percentage of texts don't make it to the user. LOL I bet the other person will get pissed. At least with a phone call you will know if they hear you or not.
 FIVE_DOLLAR_OPPORTUNITY
Msg: 59
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/14/2012 10:24:50 AM
All these women want to do is text. They are so addicted to texting and attention, that it fulfills everything they need in a man, or a woman. The old school woman is gone, and the new school woman is all about technology, and receiving digital connections.

That's if she gives you her number because for most all they want is to login and see how many inbox messages they get. If they give you the number to text, its probably because she is around others and wants to look important. Yet some are just so lost that they don't want to talk t anyone ever again in life and texting fullfills the attention they need.
 TayYay
Msg: 60
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/14/2012 1:18:42 PM
I like both - texting here and there during the work day or while I'm at the gym is fun, but before I meet someone I always want to talk to him because a voice makes a big impact on my attraction to a man. Plus, I want to know that he can emote (I have talked to a couple of men who are just a bit too monotone for me) and to make sure we can carry an actual conversation together.
 obxbecky
Msg: 61
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/14/2012 7:50:18 PM
I prefer texting. I hate talking on the phone.
 MRJ201271
Msg: 62
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/19/2012 12:57:10 PM
I completely agree with you on need to hear the voice and have a short conversation..
 AprilTaurus01
Msg: 63
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/21/2012 10:16:39 AM
Phone calls over texts for me the majority of the time. It takes so little time to say it versus type it and it's more personal I want to hear his voice and talk to him.
 AndScene
Msg: 64
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/21/2012 10:23:29 AM
Well said. A good mix of both is ideal.
 Heavenisinok
Msg: 65
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/21/2012 2:49:07 PM
Ask them, you obviously have to talk to them before calling or texting to get their number. I prefer to be texted before called because I may not be available to accept calls.
 clear4takeoff
Msg: 66
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/21/2012 8:02:36 PM
i like to call but i don't think there is definite answer to this one. i call 1st and leave a message just so I can pass the "does he have a cartoon voice" test. no one answers their phone if they don't recognize the number so there's totally no pressure here and conservative types will give you points for having the balls to call 1st.

in my experience, i'm way more likely to get a txt reply than a call back. Once in a while though the woman will call me back and we'll have an actual conversation which is nice because i think txting to get to know someone is an enormous waste of time.
 liftnw8z
Msg: 67
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/23/2012 8:21:19 PM
^^^ I agree with this. There is much benefit to voice communication.

If I'm going to communicate in writing, I prefer it to be in email form because you can say more and lay out your thoughts better - and someone can read them better. However as recent experiences would tell me, taking the time to get to know someone this way is apparently no good either - I'm supposed to rush out on first contact and meet. ugh.
 abmccray
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/24/2012 7:43:30 AM

I'm supposed to rush out on first contact and meet. ugh.

Maybe not first contact, but, yes, you should meet as soon as possible.

Phone, email, and text conversation without meeting the person causes you to create an image of them in your own mind - normally one that is unrealistic, and that the person can't live up to. Therefore, you meet a.s.a.p. to temper that with actual perception of what that person really is.

People that want to email/phone/etc. forever before meeting are often those with something to hide, or those that are trying to get you "attached" before they let you down with not being how they presented themselves in person.
 annywn
Msg: 69
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/26/2012 3:25:56 AM
I don't mind texting , at first,,,, but if it goes on for months its a complete annoyance. You learn absolutely nothing about the other person if its
Hi
how R U
what r u wearings
send me a pic
over and over on and on.
finally one day I called him and he didn't even pick up but managed to call me back.
Still to this day I know basically nothing about the man. complete waste-o-time
 ntempleton
Msg: 70
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 9/29/2012 1:24:23 PM
All of the women I've met in the last year have preferred texting over calling. The have all been my age, 33 +/- a year or 2.

Nic
 luvspjs
Msg: 71
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/5/2012 6:42:12 PM
Calling is way better then txting. It's more personal!
 softsweetie
Msg: 72
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/9/2012 7:53:34 PM
Absolutely call..texts are meant for short msgs such as address, location, time..not for conversation. I've had an awful experience with a professional who insisted on texting me and arranging a date, needless to say i refused to carry on knowing him or going any further with his texts obsession.
 liftnw8z
Msg: 73
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/9/2012 9:15:53 PM
[Quote] Calling is way better then txting. It's more personal!

This. I hate texting my friends let alone a potential date
 chrismac1982
Msg: 74
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/11/2012 7:06:22 AM
You can't have sex with a woman through the telephone. Spend as little time as possible talking to them. It won't improve your chances. They already know if they want sex with you within about 10 seconds anyways.
 cooldog65
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/11/2012 5:03:01 PM
I prefer calling. Easier to make some emotional connection through good conversation. Texting lacks that depth.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Texting or Calling?