Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Texting or Calling?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 m8t
Msg: 76
Texting or Calling?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I like person to person talking and hate phones.
Texting I happen to find insulting.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 77
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/11/2012 7:49:30 PM
Give the woman your number and invite her to call or text you...if she is interested, she will do whatever works best for her and you can follow her lead.
 TightBoxers
Msg: 78
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/11/2012 9:11:35 PM
This is not even a good question. It is Text. This day and age. Text! text and text.. do you see us gathering in a hall having a singles meeting. ... no its technology.. use it. It is how we do it nowadays. But the truth is. It would take alot of confidence and would show alot of confidence to call first! When you become close... you will start calling. But really you dont need to worry bout shit like that. You are overthinking. Just do it. dont think too much, cause if you do, it usually dissappears and make one angry at themselves they should have done more
 sexysunfish68
Msg: 79
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/15/2012 7:00:46 PM
Texting is okay initially but after that first one I would want to hear a voice especially if there are plans to meet.
It is robotic and cheap to just text all the time.
 lyn1214
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 8/13/2015 5:25:59 PM
I'm fine with texting in general but if they never call or insist on having long drawn out messages back and forth especially about serious matters it's not gonna work.
 NikonGuy007
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/10/2015 7:06:31 PM
I'm not a woman
but,
I play one on T.V.

Be original.

Get her home address
and
only send letters.

It's eccentric and original.

"My dearest Linda, my heart has been on fire with pangs of love since our meeting a fortnight ago. I am writing to inquire as to your availability. May I come a calling at sunset on Saturday, October 30th. We can sit in the parlor and hold hands........................................"

She may like it. She may not. But, either way, she WILL always remember you.
 Maleman999
Msg: 82
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/14/2015 6:39:02 AM
^^^And don't forget to put a few drops of cologne on the letter as well. Women like that sort of stuff.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 83
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/14/2015 7:24:43 AM
NikonGuy007...you are one of the funniest people on this Forum.
"May I come a calling?" Classic. Your sense of humor cracks me up!

As an aside, I adopted fortnight since my Brit work colleagues use it so often.
It is a cool word with an interesting throwback to an earlier era. Good call.
 NikonGuy007
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/14/2015 10:17:37 PM
Thank you Eric.

I always read your posts.

In my opinion, you are the POF forum's "voice of reason".
 hemingway234
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/17/2015 9:47:18 AM

Ask them, you obviously have to talk to them before calling or texting to get their number. I prefer to be texted before called because I may not be available to accept calls.

- This. Text first to see if she is available to take your first call. By texting first and giving your name, she will also know who's calling.
 south_city
Msg: 86
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/17/2015 10:28:23 AM
Depends on the woman. I have dated women that liked talking on the phone and others that liked texting better. Having said that, I would text a woman the first time so that she knows it's me. Some people will not answer phone calls from unknown numbers.
 FitnessAthlete2015
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/20/2015 7:13:57 PM
call, it's better and not childish and it shows maturity and you value the person.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 88
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/22/2015 10:13:27 PM
Undoubtedly, texting has quite a few pluses for many people, but my life is simple enough that I have no use for it.

I have never/won't/don't text. I will leave a VM if we can't talk on the phone or have a normal F2F conversation. [as Humans have been doing for multiple thousands of years now]

Technology when used to go backwards... is usually not a good idea IMO.

One thing is certain. Merely pushing buttons DOES allow people to be so much cooler and makes it much easier to misrepresent themselves.
 bAc0nflav0redbac0n
Msg: 89
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/23/2015 4:03:37 AM
Phone calls. Phone calls. Phone calls.

What's the point in communicating with somebody if you don't want to communicate with them?
 ThePig0fTheOpera
Msg: 90
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/27/2015 6:51:25 AM
If two people are communicating in a manner they both agree with, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

However, me personally, I absolutely will NOT be smothered to death by texts all f*cking day just because technology makes it possible today. Unfortunately, a lot of women I meet these days want to engage in this nonsense. I refuse to give in to it.

I hate talking on the phone, too. The only reason I see to do so is in the case of emergency or to set up meeting face to face.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 91
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/27/2015 8:52:01 AM

I hate talking on the phone, too. The only reason I see to do so is in the case of emergency or to set up meeting face to face.

This is an interesting statement. Before the first meet, I absolutely hate talking on the phone. I do get their phone number, and have a no more than 15 minute talk, so she knows that I am real and then see ya on the date. After I am already dating, I have spent hours on the phone talking like crazy. In fact, with my gf it was great because when we were together we were too busy doing things, so talking on the phone when we were away allowed us to get to know each other better and solidify the relationship.
 Chromis1
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/27/2015 9:08:28 AM

- This. Text first to see if she is available to take your first call. By texting first and giving your name, she will also know who's calling.

Most of the women I've spoken with on this subject really dislike texting as the initial contact. I never do it. I call. No answer, no problem. "Hello, Jill, this is Jack. Sorry I missed you, hope to talk with you soon." Click. Now she's heard your voice. If no call-back that evening, try again the next day. Still no luck -- well, best to be coming up with your Plan B.
 Maleman999
Msg: 93
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/27/2015 9:45:49 AM

Before the first meet, I absolutely hate talking on the phone. I do get their phone number, and have a no more than 15 minute talk, so she knows that I am real and then see ya on the date. After I am already dating, I have spent hours on the phone talking like crazy.

I think that's pretty common. When you're talking to a stranger for the first time, it's more like an interview-even if you try to avoid being too business like. Every word you say will be analyzed and you will analyze every word the other person says. People will say they're not interested in meeting you if you say the wrong thing and/or with the wrong tone of voice, or if you're too evasive with giving an answer to a question you think is too personal at the time. But once you feel comfortable with talking about anything and everything without being struck down (unless you're being rude), then conversation is easy.
 south_city
Msg: 94
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/27/2015 3:13:02 PM

Most of the women I've spoken with on this subject really dislike texting as the initial contact. I never do it. I call. No answer, no problem. "Hello, Jill, this is Jack. Sorry I missed you, hope to talk with you soon." Click. Now she's heard your voice. If no call-back that evening, try again the next day. Still no luck -- well, best to be coming up with your Plan B.

Unless you date much younger women, it is probably age related. In general ( at least from I have heard ), it's largely older people that don't like texting. I don't mind a 15 minute phone call before a date / meeting. But it's not mandatory. I do like to exchange numbers in case someone is late, wants to postpone or change plans of the day of the date / meeting etc.
 Friendlyoldgal56
Msg: 95
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 10/27/2015 3:58:42 PM
Texting is best at first. There are programs you can download to protect your phone number. A call or 2 before you meet is always a good policy, you can also call with some of the program's and keep your number private until you have a comfort level. Most text only program's are a free download.
 siisaa
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 6/22/2018 11:44:03 PM
I don't mind a quick phone conversation (20-30 minutes) before the initial meet. I've weeded plenty of men out who I just didn't click with before wasting time to meet them. If I ever date online again, I will continue that practice. I'd rather know if we can have a free-flowing, agreeable verbal exchange before meeting face to face. I'm not going to agree to meet just based on pictures and font (messages).
 ssm508
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 6/23/2018 9:37:41 AM
I'm not opposed to a short phone call before a first date/meeting. But it's not mandatory. When I did have a phone conversation, I had a relatively "low bar". I wouldn't lose interest in someone just because it wasn't the smoothest phone conversation. Some people can be somewhat guarded during a phone call with a virtual stranger. Other people might not like talking on the phone and are better at having a face to face conversation.

FWIW some of my worst first dates / meetings were with women that I actually had a good phone conversation with. That being said, I do like to exchange prior to a first date / meeting in case someone is late, needs to postpone / change plans at the last minute.
 sun_water
Msg: 98
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 6/23/2018 10:35:27 AM
Something that is important or urgent should be done with a phone call. Besides that, I don't have a strong preference either way.
 JGL209
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 6/23/2018 7:07:57 PM
I'd rather talk on the phone than text.. I noticed when women only like to text it's because they have a husband or a boyfriend. I don't think i'd meet someone from online through only texts.. it seems sketchy
 ssm508
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Texting or Calling?
Posted: 6/24/2018 9:42:43 AM
^^^
Some people in particular younger people simply like texting better. There isn't necessarily an ulterior motive. Talking on the phone doesn't make someone more honest or serious about OLD. A person that is married or in a relationship can call you when his/her partner isn't around. Not to mention a person that you have a phone call with can be just as likely to be dishonest about his/her physical appearance, job, smoking habits etc.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Texting or Calling?