Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 76
Asking a Female Stranger Out. (Randomly)Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
My mother was a former cheerleader, so when she told me when I was a kid to not be afraid of asking out hot women, that they rarely had dates b/c no one had the guts to ask them out...I took her at her word. So as a kid I did what you did, OP, if they weren't obviously distracted with their Walkman (Ask your parents what that is). Sometimes I talked them up a little bit to let them know I wasn't socially inept, other times I would just say as they were leaving the library, "excuse me, but I'd hate myself if I didn't ask--would you like to get together sometime?"

ninety percent of the time, the answer was the same: "oh, I have someone already, but thanks for asking!" so at least I wasn't creepy about it. the other ten percent of the time was some other way of saying no--and yes, some beautiful young women can't handle a random stranger asking them out. Ok, no biggie. but the point is, it only works if you're attractive--mom was wrong, or these girls lied about having a boyfriend already :)

some women are comfortable with being attractive--their style of dressing and how comfortable they hold their bodies while dressed that way will let you know. Others will be busy with their iPod or whatever nonsense exists now and be caught off guard and not handle it well. be nice, and some will be flattered. but there will be the others who just won't handle it well. read them and their body language before you ask them nicely. you're responsible for your behavior, not their's.
 H0wAboutIt
Msg: 77
Asking a Female Stranger Out. (Randomly)
Posted: 1/25/2013 8:31:33 PM

take off the helmit and ask the girl/offer the girl my number and tell her how stunning she was

1) You lose points for physical compliments
2) Approaching a woman walking down the street is the WORST way to meet a woman. There's a certain stigma and distrust that's brought about in street pickups. Wait until you're in a store or other location with her.
3) You did the right thing by letting her walk on by...
 GJBrown
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/25/2013 8:46:18 PM
hOwaboutit
How is meeting a woman on the street the WORST way to meet a woman? it seems better than online nonsense
How will he get a chance to see this woman again in a store or other location!? You may never see her again. Not on purpose anyway.
Yikes
 deere_rancher
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2013 2:02:42 PM
Op... I would have stopped and asked , the conversation would be fun .. she might have jumped on the back , or not ..but a no isn't going to spoil my day
 GJBrown
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/27/2013 4:16:50 PM
Never compliment her on her looks?? Why not!?
Why compliment her on her handbag or skirt? Deep down a woman will know you don't care about her bags and stuff! Must be some kind of double standard because i love being told im cute or handsome. I will admit you should not call a random woman Hot or Sexy
but I don't think you should say OMG i love your Purse! I gotta know where you got it!
 H0wAboutIt
Msg: 87
Posted: 1/27/2013 5:57:40 PM

Deep down a woman will know you don't care about her bags and stuff!

huh? do you know how much money women spend on their bags? That and her shoes are usually the most expensive things on her person usually.. unfortunately, complimenting her bag or shoes is a NO GO ..you're a man.. you'll definitely raise flags.

And for Blueberry's sake...do NOT give her number.. you take the lead and GET HERS...
If a woman DOES NOT want to give you her number, that's a sign of LOW INTEREST, and you should move on.

But, as I said before... stopping some girl while on a bike in the street and asking her out is a bad idea.. guys do that all the time with their cars and it's usually a failure.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2013 8:21:09 PM

Yes, do that. Stop your bike. Take off your helmet. Approach her

all good ...but, there's no helmet law in this state
 DameWrite
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2013 9:34:32 PM
Let's say you do have a 20% chance, (of getting a date), that is better than nothing, that is if you don't mind the type that doesn't mind men focusing on how hot she is, then all is good.

I am not the type that enjoys being approached because of my looks, but I am realistic enough to know looks are something that is important to some and I don't think it's "weird" as long as it's not lewd. You're attracted to what you're attracted to, via whatever path you choose. Just try to be aware of her comfort level and take that into consideration.

If I knew you had another way of meeting her, I would definitely try the other way before this way.

Most of my attraction starts with hearing a man laugh out loud and (because laughter is considered contagious), I seem to get a free pass to approach. (though there is a chance that they'd tell me to mind my own business.) 80/20? better odds my way I'm thinking. lol

[Leave your helmet with the bike.]
 ritawright
Msg: 91
Posted: 1/28/2013 4:10:48 AM
I say just do it. I was out with friends one night, waiting for my sister to come out of the store, a cute guy came out, I called him over to the car,being silly, and ask him if he wanted a date. We dated for 5 years. He's a nice guy. We are still friends to this day. That was 20 years ago. So you never know.
 LathaMath
Msg: 94
Posted: 1/28/2013 11:45:36 AM
OP: You do a drive by, give a little pull on the trottle, and go with her reaction. Subtle. How long did you say you've been riding a bike?
 NonamousDog
Msg: 99
Posted: 1/29/2013 10:16:56 AM
"Don't Americans do this all the time? That's my understanding of American dating culture anyway.

You've seen too many movies. There are a few, very few, guys who do that kind of thing, and will tell you about their successes, but forget to mention the hundred women who told them to get lost.

Some women claim they wish more men would make 'cold approaches' and some women say they don't like them at all, so it's probably a low-return crap shoot, even if a guy has 'game'.
 LathaMath
Msg: 100
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:11:55 PM
Out of curiosity I just did a search of the Internet on "picking up girls on a motorcycle" and got lots of hits. Go for it!

How girls respond will depend on how daring and confident they are, and how much they like guys, and motorcycles.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 101
Posted: 1/29/2013 10:50:09 PM

Every schmuck wants a piece of her, based on absolutely nothing but the way she looks. The experience is a lot like swatting away horse flies.

Ditto. I get this a lot, especially in the weight room. Male heads turn as if on a string when I walk by. One married Romeo constantly pressures me to hook up with him for casual sex, following me from room to room.

It's insulting to be seen as an ornament. I am MORE than a pretty face and body. This woman has keen intelligence. I want to be appreciated for WHO I AM, not treated like a piece of meat.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 102
Posted: 1/30/2013 11:44:04 AM
^
If you really felt that way, you'd take the photos off your profile.
 GJBrown
Msg: 103
Posted: 11/3/2013 11:55:23 AM
I still approach from time to time. but in the past year of doing that 97% percent of the women claimed to have boyfriends already. 2% gave me a wrong number. and 1 girl gave me her number, we texted for like an hour then she says she has a boyfriend, then went silent.
I can understand most women don't want to give out their number or even go on a date with a guy they barely even had a conversation with. But if you see someone you want out in public you not get that chance to talk for long and then you may Never see that person again. I say just be confident, polite, and funny and you may be able to get 1 out of 10 women you approach to give number.
youtube Simple Pickup. Thoes guys are a joke...
 bamagrl68
Msg: 104
Posted: 11/3/2013 12:42:11 PM
Dans80- Being really obvious and saying she was stunning would have been cheesy.
The truth is, you let the opportunity pass, so you'll never know.
Next time, stop and just say hello, chat a little and see how the woman reacts.
If she reacts badly, move on. If not, proceed.
 GJBrown
Msg: 105
Posted: 11/3/2013 3:04:07 PM
Maybe there was a time, perhaps before I was born when you could call a woman "stunning" and She would not think it was cheesy.
Everyone knows you have to wait til the second year of marriage before you can compliment a woman on her appearence! ha
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 106
Posted: 11/3/2013 5:12:57 PM

...stop and just say hello, chat a little and see how the woman reacts. If she reacts badly, move on. If not, proceed.

This is the long and short of it, honestly. All else is a sub topic of that information.
 lostnfoundluv
Msg: 107
Posted: 11/3/2013 5:39:46 PM
what speed were you driving ? glad you didnt drop dead by a gorgeous woman who are well known to cause accidents !!Things happen to people who take chances. Now you will never know !
 Coma_White
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2013 7:30:44 PM

So Girls I was on my Motor Bike today and saw a drop dead gorgeous woman walking down the street. I was so tempted to stop the bike, take off the helmit and ask the girl/offer the girl my number and tell her how stunning she was (Guess what I bottled it and just rode by) So ladys how would this be taken, Maybe creepy? or maybe suprised and flattered????

Here's the thing. A woman like that most likely gets complimented all the time. You don't want to make yourself appear like the 10th guy in line saying "Hi, you're pretty, can I buy you a drink?" You don't want her thinking of you as just another guy that thinks she's hot. I would approach her, but with something a bit less cliche to see how receptive she is. If she acts friendly toward you, ask for the number before you go.
 Coma_White
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2013 12:25:20 PM
The best method is to ask if she's Chinese. When she asks you why you're asking if she's Chinese, you say: "Because I'm China get your number." Good luck.
 nyceguy85
Msg: 115
Posted: 11/6/2013 12:57:28 PM
OP... dont do it. If you dont know what its like to be rejected, ask a female stranger out in public. You will be rejected faster than Charlie Sheen can go on a cocaine binge. The majority of women who get dolled up, put on the makeup, dress to impress and have a certain pep in their step are only doing that in public to simply see if they "got it". They want to know if they have what it takes to attract any man that comes near them. For every guy that approaches her, her ego gets a 5% boost. If its a guy she deems attractive, her ego gets a 20% boost. But the majority of these women arent walking in public to have guys they dont know ask them out. Those type of women have been single for a number of years and continue to be single because they are waiting for a 1 in a million type of guy to come their way and be prepared to jump through whatever hoops and hurdles she requires to give her friendship to him.
 GJBrown
Msg: 116
Posted: 11/6/2013 9:47:49 PM
Go to a Mall on a Wednesday afternoon. Don't leave untl you have approached at least 10-20 women
Be confident and find the best approach that works for you.
Beware! most young exceptionally attractive women think its creepy to approach them if they are not attracted to you. Or if you just have no game...
 GJBrown
Msg: 117
Posted: 1/10/2014 9:03:44 PM
then again we live in a world where people have there face to there smart phones, headphones on, in a group, or just look away as soon as you try to make eye contact.
but you can still ask a female stranger out randomly. It just seems like alot of them don't want to be asked out randomly
 dahlingdarling
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2014 3:33:49 PM

You guessed it, I'm going to say yes. Based on what? The fact that she's female. Hell, I'd accept if there was a possibility of it being a man. In that case, as soon as I found out it was a man I would say, sorry, I'm not gay, so this isn't going to work. But, anyway, I would want a date with someone based on absolutely nothing, just to give it a try and see what happens. So, actually, wanting a date is more of the default position than not wanting the date. Approaching the stranger is therefore merely an outward expression of the DEFAULT position of wanting to date as many women as possible, preferably ones that meet their standards. So, really, the women who should be offended, from this point of view, are all the ones I DON'T approach, solely based on looks. You have to give me reasons NOT to want to date you to scare me away, not the other way around. It doesn't work that way. Once I look at a girl, she might be ruled out based on looks, just because that's the only information I have when I first see her, so that's all there is. So, unless they are unattractive, I just want to date them by default. So, think of it as if it was her looks that made me want to date her is just looking at it from the wrong perspective altogether. The only role her looks played was to keep her in the pool of women that I want to date. She didn't get eliminated because of her looks. I already wanted the date before I even saw her. It's just that that desire didn't go away when I saw her.

That's a nice spiel however eliminating gals based on her attractiveness shows that the default position isn't to want to date and that meeting the looks standard is a preference. Essentially what you said is if they're attractive I want to date them which is wanting a piece of her based on nothing but her looks.

Wow. Imagine a woman having to endure such a torment as a guy asking her a QUESTION. Just based on her looks. Woo hoo. Man, I mean, it must really suck to be a hot girl. I feel so bad for them. Can you imagine?

Meh it's generally what the torment a gal has to endure after the question when the answer is no that it sucks to be a hot gal or really any gal as guys in my observations tend to be quite narcissistic thinking their unwanted uninvited attention should be oh so appreciated and that she should be grateful.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >