Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Stressed men prefer bigger women?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 INSTYLE9611
Msg: 14
Stressed men prefer bigger women?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I don't think stress has anything to do with it.
Bad choices. No one tells you to eat like a pig.
But most of this country is obese No will power.
Being fat is bad for your health.My Ex has gained a lot of weight.kind of like the show
The biggest Loser.Anyways my point is not bashing you for being fat.
But to make better choices.If more people would start walking They would be headed in the right direction
DR.PHIL
 Love.Notes
Msg: 15
Stressed men prefer bigger women?
Posted: 8/10/2012 10:59:29 AM
So all the men messaging me are really just "stressed out"! ? ! hmmmm not so sure I like that. lol
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2012 12:01:33 PM
I thought stressed men liked career women with BIG paychecks and a huge sexual appetite regardless of weight.

My dumb...
 browneyesboo
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/10/2012 12:03:08 PM
I think when you're truly stressed out, certain things become minor things in the
scheme of things. Maybe stressed out people are meeting others in a setting that
makes for conversations and getting to know each other instead of picking people
based on their weight and/or looks.

I think there's a big difference between flipping through pictures and looking for someone
you might be compatible with and actually meeting people in real life and having real
life conversations that make you look at that person in a way that goes beyond the
physical. I think it's possible to be attracted to people you might otherwise not be
attracted to when the circumstances take you outside your normal comfort zone.

It's like being attracted to a teacher or colleague who impresses you with their humor
or intelligence. Or like having online friends that you enjoy, but had you met them in
real life first, you'd not have given them a second glance.

I do know that I've learned to never say never about most things. I've met people at work
that I've become close to because I interact with them. If I was flipping through pictures
of them or just saw them walking casually about, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't look at them twice.
I think the online business makes it possible to miss out on meeting some truly extraordinary
people for just this reason.

I don't think stress has anything to do with it.
Bad choices. No one tells you to eat like a pig.
But most of this country is obese No will power.
Being fat is bad for your health.My Ex has gained a lot of weight.kind of like the show
The biggest Loser.Anyways my point is not bashing you for being fat.
But to make better choices.If more people would start walking They would be headed in the right direction
DR.PHIL

What does this have to do with the OP?
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2012 12:05:42 PM
There are good evolutionary biology reasons why this is true in times of environmental stresses. That was explained in the article on livescience.com. However, it seems surprising to me that such a low and temporary level of stress would have this effect and be measurable.

Anyway, it suggests to me to not make signfiicant relationship decisions when stressed!
 MsGirlyMuscle
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/10/2012 12:06:41 PM
Geez, I am * big * and all I get are stupid men.....LOL Just kidding. On a serious note, I do not see how a stressed man would necessarily prefer a bigger woman? Really? I think men like women, just * like what they like.*
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2012 2:51:12 PM
My own somewhat prejudiced appreciation of this article/study, is suspicion.

I would want to see the educational history of the people conducting and guiding the study, and deciding what the results mean. In particular, since a fair number of Anthropologists already follow a belief that subsistence-level cultures tend to find corpulent females more desirable, I suspect that this existing belief on their part, might have led them to LOOK for the connection they claim to have "discovered."

The testing as described, sounds to be entirely dependent upon too many assumptions, and not enough accurately measurable responses from the subjects.

My personal fear about this? That the more gravitationally endowed among us, will join together and work to make the world a more stressful place, so that they can find dates more easily.
 Dolphina
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/10/2012 2:59:10 PM
I wonder if this is a "Mother effect": bigger woman feel like mothers; softer breasts, etc, for stressed men to feel comfortable with.

I doubt if there is a reverse attraction for women. Larger men would not conjure up a comfortable figure.
 want to travel
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2012 3:11:21 PM
i agrre , i want to see who, did this study and, what qualifies them
it just sound really stupid
our society put so much pressure on women that have a few extra ponds or are heavy
men that like them also get put down a lot
for one, i am tired of steriotypes that are being made by the media
men like larger women, cause they do
 Fifi47
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/10/2012 3:15:19 PM
all larger women do not have self esteem issues...
Some men like women of all shapes and sizes, these men are really rare.
Most of the men I have dated liked me for me..the few who liked me cause I am a bbw were sometimes Alpha males and sometimes laid back.
 ventti
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/10/2012 3:36:46 PM

I wonder if this is a "Mother effect": bigger woman feel like mothers; softer breasts, etc, for stressed men to feel comfortable with

I was thinking that as well. It fits in well with the hypothesis.
Also, perhaps, the assumption that a ''bigger'' woman would be less judgemental, less harsh...
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2012 3:54:15 PM
The biological basis is that in stressful times (scarcity of food, in particular), evolution predisposes men to choose mates who have the ability to conceive and bear a child, and those are the heavier women who will more likely survive a famine.

This evolved and unconscious predisposition hasn't gone away, though the stress triggers may be quite different and uncorrelated in modern times.
 teamlheo
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/10/2012 3:57:34 PM
Not real sure about that one. I think people like what they like for their own reasons. I'm not saying that I disagree with that statement though. It could be true for all I know. People that are stressed tend to have less success with their relationships.
 ventti
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/10/2012 4:54:27 PM
Jac_the_griper:
The hypothesis that "stressed men prefer bigger women" because "Stress changes our mental state, it changes our brain chemistry, but it also changes the way we process information so the things we look for in a stressed state might be different to when we're not in a stressed state''.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/10/2012 5:02:45 PM

I think when you're truly stressed out, certain things become minor things in the
scheme of things. Maybe stressed out people are meeting others in a setting that
makes for conversations and getting to know each other instead of picking people
based on their weight and/or looks.

I think there's a big difference between flipping through pictures and looking for someone
you might be compatible with and actually meeting people in real life and having real
life conversations that make you look at that person in a way that goes beyond the
physical. I think it's possible to be attracted to people you might otherwise not be
attracted to when the circumstances take you outside your normal comfort zone.

It's like being attracted to a teacher or colleague who impresses you with their humor
or intelligence. Or like having online friends that you enjoy, but had you met them in
real life first, you'd not have given them a second glance.

I do know that I've learned to never say never about most things. I've met people at work
that I've become close to because I interact with them. If I was flipping through pictures
of them or just saw them walking casually about, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't look at them twice.
I think the online business makes it possible to miss out on meeting some truly extraordinary
people for just this reason.

BINGO!!!
 LunaTeq1
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/10/2012 5:15:13 PM
I heard this today on the radio.

Now, where do I find a nice, stressed man...

:D
 KittenCatt
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/11/2012 12:46:14 AM
This study makes sense to me. I think going through stress would naturally make someone more humble, in touch with their mortality, their humanity, and their vulnerability. I think it would make them feel far less entitled to what a given society deems is the "best" to have and associate with, and our particular American society seems to view super-skinny, frail, waifish, child-like women's bodies as the "best" a man can obtain. I think having power, such as in the form of wealth, makes people feel more immune to the vulnerability some stresses such as poverty, bad health, bad mental health, or bad luck can bring. They might succumb to a tunnel-visioned view of entitlement. Just look at celebrities, the wealthy......I don't see many of them scrambling to win the hearts of any obese women.
 colt8301
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/11/2012 3:05:41 AM

When compared with a control group of 40 men who were not stressed, the researchers concluded that stressed men were more likely to go for women with a higher BMI.

Do we agree?

I believe men take what ever they can get. Stressed or not stressed.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2012 7:38:45 AM
Well, I have noticed that since Obama came into power, having a figure has come back into style. And all the bragging about being a "size 2" or a "size 0" has suddenly ceased. I sure hope this doesn't doesnt' turn into a political bashing thread. hahah
 Fifi47
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/11/2012 8:01:12 AM
I have not seen any difference in what society sees as appealing since Obama has been in office. School lunches are becoming healthier, which is a good thing.
 jed456
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2012 9:45:02 AM
They do ? Well I better not get stressed then. I have no attraction to obese woman so I take the study with a grain of salt.
 Bishopboat
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/11/2012 4:06:41 PM
Stressed out men just don't care... They just want to get laid so that they're less stressed. And really good looking women are often very stressful to deal with... Best to screw a heffer half the time.
 Luckyshamrocks
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/11/2012 7:40:39 PM
Yet another stupid "study" that researchers wasted time and money on...seriously..who cares?
 catalina_view
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/11/2012 7:48:27 PM
I've always attracted the same losers whether I was fat or skinny.
 part deux
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2012 7:57:09 PM
The thing I don't get, is that they say the men choose a woman with a higher BMI when they are in a situation that causes stress. I am 5' 6", and wear a size 7. By most standards, I am on the small side of average. My BMI is most likely much higher than, say, Kate Moss. Did these men choose a BMI that is considered obese, or did they just move up the average scale a bit? Were the original BMI preferences underweight? How do we know that the choices under stress were not related to color of hair, or hair length or eye color, and the increased BMI was just a fluke?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Stressed men prefer bigger women?