Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are they really this active?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 atticusfinchy
Msg: 26
Are they really this active?Page 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I once wrestled a bear, but a black bear, not a grizzly. He got into my tent and into my stuff. I went after him and he ran away. Good thing for him too. I was a little younger than. In my forties, so was more up for the challenge.
 vestaceres
Msg: 27
Are they really this active?
Posted: 8/13/2012 3:20:54 PM
I'd much prefer somebody with intellectual prowess rather than an unhealthy human running in extremes and trying to recapture the past with a butterfly net.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/13/2012 5:07:33 PM
Well we have to stay in shape to take those
"long walks on the beach" us guys see in almost every woman's profile.

Now if some woman were to say on her page
she likes to sit on the couch, drink cold beer, and watch TV....
she'd be very popular online.
:-P

till then,
best go running.
long walks on beaches are not for the feeble.
 authenticoutlook
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/14/2012 6:26:19 AM
Ohhh, yes they are like this and I love it!!!!

Men embrace life more openly, on a wider plane than women, really create a bucket list and complete it!

I don't know what it is about men this age, but they are back like in our twenties and always on the go and if your lucky enough to be invited along for an outing or adventure you will have a great time too.

I'd say for about 15 years I'd searched for someone like this and low and behold, Kaboom! I have found them again. I'm enjoying dating at this age more than ever.

The irony of it all... they were married to women that did not share their love of life or interests.

So to all their exes... Thank you.. I'm Lovin it!!!!
 DragonBits
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/14/2012 7:46:50 AM

running hundreds of miles, kayaking, climbing mountains, skydiving, snowboarding, and killing grizzlies with their bare hands

A lot of these activities don't take a lot of stamina. Running a real marathon, no way, but most people are running 1/2 or less, or run / walk, kayaking can be quite gentle, climbing mountains, big or small?, free style or not?, skydiving maybe scary but it doesn't take a lot of stamina, snowboarding, Aspen or bunny slope?, killing an Alaskan brown bear? Not even with a 44 automag pistol would I want to meet one, and what would I do with 1000 lbs of meat? I have never been hunting, and it isn't a fascination of mine, but I don't abore it either. I would go if I was with someone that was an avid hunter, but I don't kill just for sport.

Many activities such as rafting in an arctic river in remote areas in Alaska aren't hard, just dangerous because of the isolation and conditions. If nothing goes wrong, most people can do it on their own without a guide. If something does go wrong, good luck living through it.

I think I could build up to running a real marathon, but I avoid activities where I might really get injured. So far I have nothing that hurts in the AM, never been in a hospital, take no meds. Nice to keep it that way. Met many men and women that get hurt and taken out of the game for weeks to years because they are weekend warriors or just push too much.

I can keep up with any woman 55 or up, 40 or lower, depends on how good of shape she is in. In between 40-55, probably can keep up enough to look like I am enjoying it. :)

BicyclingGal thinks nothing of biking 90 miles a day, that would be a challenge for me. I have only done 50 on rolling hills. I was going to try 90 soon just to see how hard it is, but not very sure about being able to do 90 miles a day for long periods. I would have to join a bicycle club to have someone to go with, my friends that are 53 poop out after 25 miles on flat ground. And it just takes a big chunk of time out of the weekend to go more than 50.

In the health club I see both types, guys that are 50 that can't walk 3 miles, guys that are 70 that look like they can run a marathon. As to me, I like laying around watching a good movie /staying in bed for a couple of days or hiking off into the wilderness, it's nice to be able to do both.
 jham123
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/14/2012 11:05:17 AM

Men embrace life more openly, on a wider plane than women, really create a bucket list and complete it!

I don't know what it is about men this age, but they are back like in our twenties and always on the go and if your lucky enough to be invited along for an outing or adventure you will have a great time too.

I'd say for about 15 years I'd searched for someone like this and low and behold, Kaboom! I have found them again. I'm enjoying dating at this age more than ever.

The irony of it all... they were married to women that did not share their love of life or interests.

So to all their exes... Thank you.. I'm Lovin it!!!!

I think I am in love.....
 SONNI100
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/14/2012 2:04:34 PM
The men in their 50s and 60s.....just the ones I have met, more often than not tell me these were activities they used to do.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/15/2012 5:05:09 AM
I have an ex Bf on here w/ an ad about his activities too- he does them, but then eats crappy food & has lil man boobs :0P
 DragonBits
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/15/2012 5:09:15 AM

My ex is on here stating he ski's, runs, and loves golf, lol
I swear to you he has never skied, and never mind run he can hardly walk, and has never ever played golf.
He says he says this just to attract woman, although I'm not to sure what happens after.

I had a thought, arrange a first meet in a place where you both have to walk up a nice size hill to get to. Maybe a ski date with your friends along, at least you get to go sking? Might eliminate a lot of meets.

That is why skype or any video chat is good if you want cut down on first meets that aren't going to work out or even happen.
 DragonBits
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/15/2012 7:58:54 AM
BicyclingGal, I have seen your posts, biking 90 miles a day (on vacation) is impressive. Never tried that, looking forward to how it will feel.

And I agree, many people have various definitions of all of these subjective terms, nice guy, average build, like out of doors, athletic build, etc, etc etc. Nothing beats talking to someone to see what they really mean.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/15/2012 11:12:51 PM

I may need to move to Canada. It is the polar opposite here. My gal pals and I are always on the go, and it is the men who are happy to be glued to the couch watching ESPN or the Military Channel. Those few who have bare chested photos or only want brag about their workouts and muscle tone seem narcissitic to me.

And many women have a "bucket lists"...I, for one, have an absolute blast checking things off regularly.My active may not be skydiving, 5K runs or hours sweating over a treadmill in the gym, but it is full of go-do-be life embracing things like travel, attending concerts, motorcycling, sporting events, car shows, air shows, theatre, home improvement, etc. The term "active" is subjective.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/16/2012 8:07:35 AM

I think it's all bravado -- or an attempt to attract a much younger woman who may be willing to engage in these sorts of activities. What ya'll think?

I'd take their word for it. You know, innocent until proven guilty? That's what I do when I read women's profiles that profess those kinds of activities. Yeah, I take it with a grain of salt. Some people list things they would like to do in their profiles such as sailing or travelling to exotic places they have never been before.

What I try to ascertain from the activities list is commonalities. They don't have to be exact, but they should be similar in type.

You can go on thinking we all are blowin smoke up your skirt. Just be careful you don't skirt right over the kind of guy you're looking for.
 MacInOC
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/16/2012 8:59:43 AM
Some are, some aren't. Me? I must have ants in my pants? I have something planned and do something active all the time. Having two boys that try and keep up with me helps too. Luckily CA has been good to me. Rarely have I found an age appropriate woman that is as active. Age well everyone....
 ladyc4
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/16/2012 12:06:16 PM
Op, my guess would be that for the most part, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Check a few of them out...weed out the ones you really couldn't keep up, with and the ones who grossly overstated their level of physical activity,and see what you can work out with the ones in the middle.
Re; jumping out of a perfectly good airplane only if it burst into flames-I'd be looking for a fire extinguisher-junpubg would be an absolute last resort LOL.
Cindy O
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/16/2012 12:17:10 PM
don't let age parameters fool you. For example, you and I don't have ages set in our profiles and this doesn't mean we'll date an 18 year old. For most of us that have been on the forums for awhile we have paramaters set wide (if at all) for forum folks to privately email us. So don't go assuming that someone is a perv because they have a young age set.

Don't be so naive. If he's indeed not looking for a woman young enough to be his daughter, and is open to communicating with all forumites, he wouldn't have any age parameters at all.

OT, I think it's mostly false bravado, in an attempt to attract much younger mates.
 soicat
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/16/2012 12:53:59 PM

OT, I think it's mostly false bravado, in an attempt to attract much younger mates.

Why do you assume young women are attracted to guys who engage in pointless activities? It's the older gals who think they're supposed to "remain active."
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/16/2012 2:08:46 PM
Why do you assume young women are attracted to guys who engage in pointless activities? It's the older gals who think they're supposed to "remain active."

I believe it's a way for some older men to screen out older women who are out-of-shape. Whether or not an older man appeals to younger women depends on many different factors besides activity level.

I've noticed that most of the men in my age range of 53-63 who contacted me and claimed to be fit and active were often 10-20 pounds overweight and were less fit and active than I.
 MudBurn
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/16/2012 2:19:53 PM
A picture is worth a 1000 words unfortunately on POF a lot of them are blurry. As for claims to kayak and hike across the country with just one Big Mac under your belt there is a barnyard waste that bulls leave behind.

Im not proud and admit I love my naps... LOL
 fireball650
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/16/2012 2:24:39 PM
for me working res care facility being active is better than watching life go by threw a window hiking a biking what ever the activities it healthy an keep you young I seem a 94yr man do push ups every morning who'll a 50 yrs sits in a chair all day a complains for me it a life choice an if it means losing date over it so be it
 raicor
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/16/2012 9:03:38 PM
probably a modicum of truth to some of it. one stat i read is that 68% of males 18 - 24 are in average or above average physical fitness, while only 18% of females are the same in the age range demographic. females, generally, are not as physically fit as males. so, if these men are referring to females in their age range or even somewhat below they may have a case.

http://www.healthreviser.com/content/mens-fitness-level-vs-womens-fitness-level
 munnymaker2012
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/16/2012 11:53:36 PM
why do none of these people starting these threads have a PROFILE PIC up.....ijs zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 MacInOC
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/17/2012 6:38:31 AM

why do none of these people starting these threads have a PROFILE PIC up

I always wonder the same thing! There are a lot of threads started by folks without pictures. I also wonder why so many people "here for the forums only" have message constraints?
 phoenix_55
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/17/2012 7:03:07 AM
I have pictures. I don't have a picture up because I want men to read my profile. It isn't because I look like Shrek, weigh 300 lbs or I'm in the witness protection program.

And judging by the number of messages I receive without a picture, apparently most men on here like a little mystery ;)
 Triumph800rider
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2012 10:19:57 AM
Just go to a tirathelon or a 5k run on a Saturday morning and you will be surprised at the number of men and women over fifty who are participating. My parents took bicycle tours until they were well into their seventies. With the number of baby boomers reaching their sixties, tour companies for activities like hiking, bicycling, mountain climbing, white water rafting that target people of retirement age is a growing industry.

I have had health problems and as a consequence am not as active as I used to be.
 Purple Tang
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/17/2012 5:36:27 PM
If your surprised that men are becoming more active at a later date it’s because. We finally woke up to the simple fact that we deserve it. We grew up active! I know there’s a few exceptions but honestly I think most guys will back me up here! The minute we were of age to do things that required physical activity we did! Rain or shine we were burning energy, building muscle, playing sports, kicking each other’s asses, building things… Then we got married, took that responsibility of raising kids, worked hard so no one needed anything, followed the general routine of married life etc.
Now we are actively pursuing the things we gave up because of lack of time, finances, and responsibilities. We are rediscovering our natural masculinity not because we want to recapture lost youth but because it’s what we are. Of course those that were never active will rarely become later in life. No we don’t all run marathons, climb mountains or play the sports of our youth but there’s plenty of activities that require flexibility, balance, strength etc. Generally we turn to outdoor activities because it’s easier to rebalance and rebuild from a starting point that we are familiar with. Mother Nature made us that way and if there’s one thing I learned in life don’t mess with Big Mamma.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are they really this active?