Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are they really this active?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 51
Are they really this active?Page 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I am in a relationship with a man who, for five years in his 50s, held the world record for gaining 404,000 feet in elevation per year, climbing steep trails on a mountain bike. That's the equivalent of climbing Mt. Everest 14 times, up and down. You should see his leg muscles. Wow!

For fit singles, check out fitness singles.com.

You have a point. Men and women frequently exaggerate their athletic ability. One man said he was an "athletic runner who loves hiking." Turns out he last ran in the eighth grade and never hiked before. He arrived badly overweight and out of shape. Another who claimed to be "a hiker" admitted he last hiked in the Army at age 18. Liar, liar, pants on fire!
 Lionesse19
Msg: 52
Are they really this active?
Posted: 8/17/2012 10:14:58 PM
They really want a nursemaid/house maid and someone to service them, whilst they sit around. Especially after the age of 65 I would say. I do like the guys that put athletic build on the profile and then turn up with the gut hanging over the belt. Talking about what they used to do and how fit they were. ho hummm.
 DragonBits
Msg: 53
Posted: 8/18/2012 6:05:19 AM
LiterateHiker
I am in a relationship with a man who, for five years in his 50s, held the world record for gaining 404,000 feet in elevation per year, climbing steep trails on a mountain bike. That's the equivalent of climbing Mt. Everest 14 times, up and down. You should see his leg muscles. Wow!

Congrats, physically that sort of man is perfect for what you look for. Can you keep up with him? I guess is must be fun for you trying ! :):)

My legs are in great shape, but not close to what he must be used to, I am impressed.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 54
Posted: 8/18/2012 11:32:50 AM
Thanks, dragonbits! I can keep up with him, particularly when hiking. But he would leave me in the dust on a mountain bike. What thrills me most is our intellectual and emotional connection. We enjoy long, laughing, deep and fun conversations every day.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 55
Posted: 8/18/2012 11:59:13 AM

Are you suggesting that people exaggerate in their online profiles? Say it ain't so! I'm not sure I can absorb the shock...

^^^^ LMAO,, yes shocking news,,

And judging by the number of messages I receive without a picture, apparently most men on here like a little mystery ;)

good for you,, As I like the mystery of a woman,, on the other hand ,, I am so dam shallow,, I need to know if there is a attraction as well,,,

On Topic,, those profiles put me to shame,, I couldn't nor do i wanna keep up,, I'd rather hag out with y son,, and one day do the same with a wonderful woman,, with activities we share....
 MudBurn
Msg: 56
Posted: 8/18/2012 3:59:08 PM
One sad thing about female runners is that they lose their boobs. Their leg musles are are very prominent but Im not into that...
 statemachine500
Msg: 57
Posted: 8/18/2012 6:06:22 PM

It amazes me to see all of the wonderful exotic places that women-only adventure travel companies go -- and the trips are always full!

I believe most of us guys would understand that those women seek physical activities of a different sort.
 statemachine500
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/19/2012 8:43:44 AM

^^^^Nah, most of them are not lesbians.

Lesbians?Noooo.....I don't think they are interested in women....
 rdcnorm
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/19/2012 10:20:21 AM

One sad thing about female runners is that they lose their boobs. Their leg musles are are very prominent but Im not into that...

<<< see the woman on my left,, she runs 5 miles everyday, works out, ,she has beautiful breast,, and hasn't lost a thing,, nicely shaped legs, firm ,, soft,, flat stomach,, a body to die for,, so i would have to disagree,,:)
 statemachine500
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/19/2012 3:00:14 PM
I believe most are not nearly as active as they claim.Not too many guys running 5k every morning at 40 pounds overweight minimum.
 MudBurn
Msg: 61
Posted: 8/19/2012 3:31:42 PM
My first activity in the morning is to stumble to my coffee pot in the kitchen and make coffee. Once in a while I see a teenage runner out my window but thats around 10:00 AM.

On POF I see active photoshop work on the profile pics making them blurry. Its no wonder I was shocked into reality when going on some coffee dates from here. Maybe its the area I live in now - nah it was the same way 160 miles south from here...
 LG2727
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2012 9:55:09 PM
Good question! I too, have read all about these "activities" of men in this age range...needles to say all the whining about how tired they are after work and that they need to rest before that 7pm bedtime....pretty easy to figure out they are lying! havent met one yet that could keep up with my activities either!
 nativerock
Msg: 63
Posted: 8/21/2012 8:20:57 AM

I run 5k every single morning prior to 7:am.....

I go slow so anyone could keep up..but I run it everyday.

I wouldn't ever say "Can you keep up"

We have a running bunch that runs every Sunday morning.. Some of them you can keep up with if you walk fast enough.. Still most of these men are in their 70's and I for one applaud their efforts.. I imagine someday I might be running at their speed..
 DragonBits
Msg: 64
Posted: 8/21/2012 8:47:38 AM

Some of them you can keep up with if you walk fast enough
When someone says they ran a 5K, I assume they ran the whole way and not walked part of the way. A slow jog to me has to be above 4-4.5 MPH. At 4.5 mph that is like power walking and hard to do, at least for me.

A 5k really isn't a long way to run, but you have to be in reasonable shape to do it. Not sure how I would do at 70, I don't normally run a lot, it can be bad on one's joints. Not that I have a problem, just saying it happens.

But I did run / walk a few days ago on a thread mill set at 1.5 degrees uphill, I determined by trail and error between a 0.5 and a 1 degree incline is like running outside on a flat surface, so I set the machine a little harder in the event I do want to run outside. In an hour I covered 4.5 miles, running at 6 mph walking at 3.5.

I was surprised I could run for a total of 24 min, since I haven't been running for a couple of months, mostly biking outside and elliptical machines.
 STEVE4U22
Msg: 65
Posted: 8/21/2012 12:02:47 PM

BUT now they just want a pretty young thing to sit by them in the garden in the golden days

I won't argue with that, but look at it this way Princess, is there any harm in that? lol
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/22/2012 4:23:29 AM
I feel like i need a nap after just reading the OP's post!! lol..remember ladies..we write what u wanna hear...not what is the truth..because if you heard the truth..u couldnt handle the truth!!
 threestring
Msg: 67
Posted: 8/22/2012 8:48:38 PM
I would love to be more active but the old body had a few knocks and does not take abuse very well anymore. I have to baby a knee and a doctor told me running might not be the best for me due to the impact concerning a different injury. Too many years of pushing the body when I was younger. That being said I jump on the bike and ride 40 minutes to work at a decent clip every day, do a lot of running around there , and then 40 minutes back home. At least until the snow flies. Winter I take it indoors, not as much fun though, do it more for maintenance.

So while I am taking care of myself I read some profiles here with concern with all the activities some women list. Do they do all those things on a regular basis, will I even have time to see them? I doubt I would be happy with a couch potato myself, hard to really know what to expect from a profile. Sure not looking to try and keep up. Too many aches for that.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/22/2012 9:39:58 PM
OP,, as for this old man who works construction,, my work out is at work,, if I want to work on my abs, cardeo, or strength training,, I have sex wit my girl as often as we can,,that is not to say,, a nice walk isn't fun,, or a rafting trip isn't fun,, or tipping back a few beers,, or gardening,, splitting some wood,, I think that would be more than i need at my age other than the spur of the moment things that come up..just sayin,,
 jham123
Msg: 69
Posted: 8/23/2012 7:23:15 AM

When someone says they ran a 5K, I assume they ran the whole way and not walked part of the way. A slow jog to me has to be above 4-4.5 MPH. At 4.5 mph that is like power walking and hard to do, at least for me.

A couple of things, first the speedwalking is the most inefficient style, so it actually burns the most calories. Second, if your goal is weight loss, running fast will not burn as much calories....I know it sounds funny, but if you want to burn the most calories, a slow up and down jog or speedwalk over an extended time will actually do the job better than if you finished the 5k in 25 minutes.
 jham123
Msg: 70
Posted: 8/23/2012 7:40:45 AM

I do like the guys that put athletic build on the profile and then turn up with the gut hanging over the belt.

This one offended me.....in that...allow me to translate into Manspeak

"She showed up and she had small tits and her a$$ hung off of each side of the chair, she talked about what a great cook and housekeeper she is.....ho hum"

6-pack abs at "over 45" is an anomaly.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 8:26:08 AM
there's lots of active older people . I'm active and have never been inactive.

I'm over 55 and run 5 or 6 days a week. Go to the gym 3 times a week or so. Never had an ounce of extra fat on me. i'm a vegetasrian with A-1 vital signs...no joint issues etc. No, i don't have a six pack but do hsve a flat, toned belly. I'm not that unique, as some of my hiking partners, guys I play soccer with etc. are the same. My girlfriend is as fit for her age as I am.

The big difference at my age is the in-between times. I'm in bed at 10:30, get my 8 hours of sleep....often nap...and just like to veg out with a good book or whatever. I'm content doing 'nothing'. I can sit and play my guitar for a couple of hours .

Anyways, best to associate with fit, healthy people and not with those who lack motivation or energy. My city has lots of groups for older folks to join to to 'get out there'.
 nativerock
Msg: 72
Posted: 8/23/2012 9:27:53 AM

there's lots of active older people

Indeed and they do not lie and are found right here on POF.. I met a gentleman in his 60's from this site and he was a competitive downhill skier.. One of our dates was attending his award ceremony up north.. He is also a great water skier and you get a darn good view of how in shape he is when you view him in his swimming trunks..

nativerock
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 73
Posted: 8/23/2012 10:26:41 AM
He is also a great water skier and you get a darn good view of how in shape he is when you view him in his swimming trunks..
always a plus ;)

I'm very active and I'm dating a guy who is as active as he sad he was when we met (finally!).

This past weekend was laid back: Rock climbing/ hiking, a bicycle ride in the hills, a walk, and a motorcycle ride- good balance. During the week when we aren't hanging out I swim, hike , bicycle, practice yoga, lift weights, do cardio, etc. I really think it's important to be with someone with similar activity levels and interests.
 DragonBits
Msg: 74
Posted: 8/23/2012 1:48:56 PM
congrats rdcorm, you seem to have discovered the erotic attraction of great sex with someone you love. If this is your first time, better late than never.

Your post reminded me of when I was younger. I used to ponder what sort of exercises I could do that would enhance our sexual enjoyment. I came up with the breast stroke, kegals, ab crunchs, reverse crunch, general cardio, yoga positions that strengthen your pelvic muscles, such as the bow pose, peacock pose, and the shoulder stand.

Your post is cute, but IMO sex benefits greatly from a healthy body, but doesn't do much to increase your endurance, cardiovascular system or pelvic endurance / strength.

rock on.
 statemachine500
Msg: 75
Posted: 8/23/2012 3:18:17 PM

Your post is cute, but IMO sex benefits greatly from a healthy body, but doesn't do much to increase your endurance, cardiovascular system or pelvic endurance / strength.

Most of us don't do it like we are 19 again but....as for not giving you a workout at times....how about doggy style with a condom on a shaky bed in a hot room?lol.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are they really this active?