Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are they really this active?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marybuckeye
Msg: 76
Are they really this active?Page 4 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Hahaha, Scottish re: msg 13 and yes, Alfredo, that DOES count (unless you do those activities from the couch, ie: video games)

I think it would be pretty easy to discern if they do what their profiles say they do just by conversing with them:

You: "So you like cricket"?
Him: "Dunno, never had it... had frog once, though."

or

You: "I read on your profile that you got an eagle last week."
Him: "No, you must be confusing me with someone else... I don't hunt."
 DragonBits
Msg: 77
Are they really this active?
Posted: 8/23/2012 5:13:13 PM

how about doggy style with a condom on a shaky bed in a hot room?lol.

There is the more demanding "standing at attention 69 position" but she would have to be slim and not to heavy. Not something most people would attempt, and it would sure kill the mood if you dropped her on her head.

Is anyone really that active even at 19, must less over 45?
 DragonBits
Msg: 78
Posted: 8/23/2012 5:14:26 PM

Most of us don't do it like we are 19 again but....as for not giving you a workout at times .. how about doggy style with a condom on a shaky bed in a hot room?lol.

There is the more demanding "standing at attention 69 position" but she would have to be slim and not to heavy. Not something most people would attempt, and it would sure kill the mood if you dropped her on her head.

Is anyone really that active even at 19, must less over 45?
 pfif
Msg: 79
Posted: 8/23/2012 8:03:16 PM
* * * long post * * *

I did a 950 foot ascent on a 62 lb. LWB recumbent bicycle this
summer. Once. It was a 120 minute ride, including the descent
(loop circuit). Disc brakes help lots -- I like the Avid BB7.

The fellow I was riding with is just under age 40, and a locomotive,
just chewing up those hills (and waiting for me to catch up). I am
more apt to do the first 550 feet, on my own, in a bit under 50
minutes. I think I've done maybe eight of those rides, this year.

Last year, I did mostly (relative) flatland work, and rode for nine
consecutive mornings, before the weather shifted. One of them
was up the worst Category 5 hill I've ridden (except one) -- looks
like deep in Pennsylvania hill country, when you get to the top.

I'm a heavy smoker, so I tend to pass on humid mornings and much
beyond an hour on the uphill portions. Most hills here can give me
just about that much uphill riding, before the peak.

. . .

Without a riding partner, I don't think I'd be apt to maintain a very
regular riding habit -- I am a subsistence rider, mainly -- I fetch all
my groceries on one of the two bikes, and own no car at all.

If my (950 foot ascent) riding partner could somehow load up with
enough disadvantage, to make his ride as challenging as mine, I
think we'd ride together at least once a week, maybe more -- I
don't know. He seems averse to it.

I can tell you that I rarely see anyone else riding *cough* athletically,
and every single woman I see out there seems (magically) to be on
her descent, passing in the other direction.

Lots of short-run subsistence riders here, running the quarter mile
to their destinations (rarely do they carry panniers; I always do).

. . .

Riding is my only (and I do mean only) regular exercise. I love the
hills, but after my 35 minute minimum, I usually lose interest and
only push it to 50 minutes because there's something in me that
just won't turn around until I hit the designated goal, but I'm already
wishing I were back home (mostly because traffic is picking up as
the sun is then higher in the sky, on those mornings, by then).

I'm 6'1" and 205 lb. -- quite fat in the gut, but the rest of me is
fairly lean. I weighed 157 lb. when I was 21. I think it would be
very difficult to shed more than another 15 lb., and I'm not very
motivated to do so, at age 52. If I can hit 195 lb by this time next
year, I'd call that a win.

. . .

My last kayaking partner moved away several years ago; that's
a lot of upper-body work, to paddle. I always found paddling to
be more strenuous than cycling. I never had much upper body
strength, except in my arms and my grip was good (but I sprained
both hands some time ago; they never came back quite as
strong as before).

Cycling is it for me. I simply need more of it, and would like
to share that with a nice gal. Have no idea if that's a plan, but
it is a desire.
 Glubber
Msg: 80
Posted: 8/23/2012 9:46:35 PM
I think a LOT of them post that, because it is what they THINK women want. I can't believe the number of men's profiles that basically have the equivalent of, "Hiking, swimming, nights on the town, kissing in the moonlight and looking into my partner's eyes...blah, blah, blah, blah..."

From my experience in on-line dating, BOTH sexes have totally UNREALISTIC expectations. The men are looking for arm candy or hot bods...the women are looking for 'Brad Pitts' to just knock up on their door or reply to them. It's a give and take. I don't look like a troll, make a GREAT living, (in this economy, that's a PLUS), but am not some rock hard bod. But women who I think are cute and meet my criteria...rarely respond.

Plus I own my house, so am busy a lot on just upkeep. I like to do stuff, but some of these profiles I wonder if they took them from some romance novel! A LOT of men BRAG...to excess.

And you also have to factor in...if they DO all this stuff...WHY are they on these sites? SNORT! Just be wary, there are a LOT of guys out there with FAKE pictures or outdated. (But I've discovered, so do the women!)
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 81
Posted: 8/24/2012 9:44:56 AM

I run 5k every single morning prior to 7:am.....

I go slow so anyone could keep up..but I run it everyday.

I wouldn't ever say "Can you keep up"

Well, the best I could do in this type of situation is drive along beside them - coffee cup in one hand and a butt in the other. LOL
 nativerock
Msg: 82
Posted: 8/24/2012 10:01:46 AM

And you also have to factor in...if they DO all this stuff...WHY are they on these sites? SNORT! Just be wary, there are a LOT of guys out there with FAKE pictures or outdated. (But I've discovered, so do the women!)

They are on these sites for a little free poo tang.. Although it is legal here in Montreal they are just trying to save a few pennies.. GGGG Waist not want not etc..

Yes there are some fakes or some with outdated photos but so far have only met one or two, that looked older than his photos..

nativerock
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2012 10:55:58 AM
Perhaps a lot of 'fitness' perception is regional and this gives us different experiences. Fitness tends to follow education levels, etc.

My city has the highest per capita education level in the world. At noon, winter or summer, it's like a marathon along the river paths in the city center. Too busy for me, so I run up and down residential streets in the evening. I was once on course in Boulder, Colorado and it was similar...I was staying in a hotel and went for a run and there were joggers everywhere...at first I thought there must be some event going on. In contrast, one can walk down the street for half an hour in some cities and never see anyone out running.

Anyways, fitness just seems to be more part of the culture in some towns and regions.
 Spring_weather
Msg: 84
Posted: 8/24/2012 11:48:30 AM
I go for walks and jog, and my knee gives me trouble, so I find that i am slowing down more, I don't know how people do it, walking and jogging fast, like I see them doing out there!
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2012 2:47:21 PM

I go for walks and jog, and my knee gives me trouble, so I find that i am slowing down more, I don't know how people do it, walking and jogging fast, like I see them doing out there!

Runners can have knee and feet issues but they actually have less issues than their age group in the general population. The worse thing for your joints, especially the knees, is being over weight. I've also always assumed that being lighter with good muscle tomne helps prevent injury. I fall off my bike at least once a year, trip when running, do a few tumbles playing soccer, etc. and never hurt myself other than a topical scrape.

A fit, healthy lifestyle reinforces itself. In contrast, folks who I see let themselves go, go into a downward spiral of health over 45 or so. They find it really hard to pull themselves back up.
 DragonBits
Msg: 86
Posted: 8/24/2012 3:00:20 PM

Runners can have knee and feet issues but they actually have less issues than their age group in the general population.

That is always an ongoing debate. Does running cause knees to go bad?

I don't really know, my thought was that one's muscles, heart and cardiovascular system all adapt to stress faster than ones joints and tendons. So it is easy get in good enough shape to hurt yourself by running too long, poor shoes, hard surface, etc. It seems to me my heart adapts first, then the cardiovascular system then the muscles, but it might take longer than 6 months for the tendons to adapt to stress.

Not really sure about running actually causing joint problems in an otherwise healthy individual.

But walking it's almost impossible to hurt yourself.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2012 3:43:01 PM
Dragonbits

True.

It's hard to isolate a variable when speaking of health or fitness.

I do 'moderate' weights and this keeps the back, abs, etc. relatively strong. Most runners also do some type of weight training. Probably overall fitness helps prevent localized injuries by providing a sturdier frame that can take some of the pressure when running or trauma when there is a fall. I'm not sure we strengthen tendons so much as we prevent them from getting abused.

My girlfriend is a former ballerina and she can still do these incredible jumps...but when she lands you can hardly hear it. More like coming in for a soft landing. She has me try it and I can't jump nearly as high and I land with a thump. It's a bit the same with running. When we run or hike along and we have good endurance then we are smoother and use less energy. When we get tired we 'plop' along putting more pressure on our knees, etc. People out of shape don't just have weaker muscles around their knees but also are putting more pressure on them when they do land.
 summer4446
Msg: 88
Posted: 8/24/2012 3:46:12 PM
I totally agree, I was just wondering the same thing!!!! what are they trying to prove? I'm not wonder woman just, like you said a regular active woman.....
 MDIYM59
Msg: 89
Posted: 8/24/2012 4:09:11 PM
I think older men probably list activities they have enjoyed at some point in their lifetime to give anyone reading an idea of the things they enjoy. Just because we men are older and have pot bellies doesn't mean we can't or no longer do the things we list, but we may not do them nearly as often as we'd like. And we definitely don't do them as well, lol, but we list them because we still enjoy them.
I love to travel but rarely get to do it, so should I not list it at all? I still play basketball with a few old geezers like myself, we are a motley bunch, but we have some really good games. But since it's not an everyday thing, do I leave it out of my profile? Is it a lie to say I play basketball? No, but if a woman reads it and thinks I'm in fantastic shape and about to compete in the Ironman Triathlon, she is going to be "BIGTIME" disappointed when she meets me.
So "are they that active?" probably not, but unless you get to know them, you can't say for sure.

Oh and for the record, women do the same thing. They have a laundry list of things they say they do, and then when you date them you find out they do those things very rarely or in the past.

And would you ladies want to know a man that had almost no activities listed? I doubt it.
 cam1122
Msg: 90
Posted: 8/25/2012 12:31:20 AM
hellllo sexy,,,,
 cmd57
Msg: 91
Posted: 8/27/2012 11:56:15 PM

Very active: swinging... in a hammock, bowling, ping pong; do these count?

Hey! A good game of ping pong can get me huffin'....lol

I met up with a guy last year that had all kinds of ACTIVE things he like to do. Water and boating was on that list. So I drove an hour to meet him at a Lake. I suggested we swim...or at least get IN....ummmm....nope.

At 5 he was looking at his watch. He said he usually took a nap at that time.

I took my pup and hiked through the woods....alone.
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 92
Posted: 8/28/2012 7:30:38 PM
Add bocce... But, as long as we are still "active" in the morning, the rest does not matter.
I may hike all the way to Illinois, and, quit smoking along the way.
 cooldog65
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2012 4:26:24 PM
Being too active can be detrimental, especially if you're too tired for sex! Save some of that activity so you can keep up between the sheets!
 OutMind
Msg: 94
Posted: 8/30/2012 11:55:25 AM

and killing grizzlies with their bare hands and they're looking for a woman who does these things.

I don't always kill grizzlies with my bare hands, but when I do I prefer two knifes.
 Zoe_
Msg: 95
Posted: 9/29/2012 11:14:39 PM
they are lookin for younger.
 stayinalivefl
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/1/2012 10:27:31 AM
""I read "can you keep up" over and over in men's profiles. Men between 50 and 80 are apparently running hundreds of miles, kayaking, climbing mountains, skydiving, snowboarding, and killing grizzlies with their bare hands and they're looking for a woman who does these things"""
I prefer to catch butterflies while being blindfolded,,,,,it's good training for POF....lol
 OutMind
Msg: 97
Posted: 10/1/2012 12:30:36 PM
I just went to cheer my brother doing a half Iron man. It's inspiring. It's tempting. I know it's a lot of training, but realistically, it's not that far fetched. I already love doing centuries on my bike. I have done half marathons before and if you go to see this events, you will notice that it's the over forty that has the biggest number of people participating.

So, to think that this type of lifestyle is out of reach, is ridiculous.
 Sniper308
Msg: 98
Posted: 10/8/2012 9:54:03 PM

Are they just showboating?

Ma'am: Any woman in my life is going to hunt. That means she'll carry her own pack, rifle, and ammo. She'll be humping mountains and wading rivers and going up and down mountains that'd make an Olympian cry... and she'll still be hauling all HER stuff because I'm already hauling all of MY stuff. Some hunts will involve riding ATVs, horses, or mules. (I personally prefer mules for mountain hunting, but I have what I feel are good reasons why.) Hunting trips aren't vacations, they're a LOT OF WORK... sprinkled with occasional moments of "Boy, isn't 'this' WONDERFUL?!"

Most women on here don't hunt, so I'm not exactly overwhelmed with candidates.
 Stubidoo
Msg: 99
Posted: 10/9/2012 9:46:05 AM
Believe it or not, women do the same thing.
 ladyc4
Msg: 100
Posted: 10/9/2012 1:10:20 PM

don't always kill grizzlies with my bare hands, but when I do I prefer two knifes.

You need knives?
What a puppy...
(j/k LOL)
Cindy O
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are they really this active?