Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are they really this active?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 statemachine500
Msg: 126
Are they really this active?Page 6 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

But still at 6' even, 219 is still over weight. Sadly, the weight comes off all over and not where I need it to come off.....the beer belly is 'still' there...lol

You look much better....just keep going.
 statemachine500
Msg: 127
Are they really this active?
Posted: 10/20/2012 2:50:11 PM

What?....Mr.Ironman pooped from a little sledge work?I use a sledge every day.Develops stroke volume.

So do we have to arm wrestle?

No,I don't arm wrestle anymore these days...fear of injury.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2012 10:24:46 AM
An active, fit woman is as important to me as any other variable.

Can you run 2 miles without stopping and do 50 push ups? If the answer is 'yes' then your work or other activities are keeping you in shape. However, people who think they are getting fit via work, playing softball, golfing, etc. are often quite out of shape. They can't even run up five flights of stairs without takijng a breath or work in the garden a couple of hours without feeling stiff.

Exercising and eating a healthy diet is my number one priority ad has been for decades. I don't feel much different in my late 50's than I did in my 20's. I hike with some guys 10 years older than me and they don't seem to be slowing down at all. They work at keeping in shape so they can enjoy life.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2012 10:33:03 AM

No,I don't arm wrestle anymore these days...fear of injury.

Great advice. Guys ofen strain a muscle because their egos get in the way. The woman's provincial champion once wiped me out even though I'm probably twice as strong as her...it's largerly about technique.
 acewrap
Msg: 130
Posted: 10/21/2012 11:08:31 AM
I think men forget to look in the mirror as they age and women look too much in the mirror repairing the age. Those men don't see themselves as they really are------pot bellies and listing athletic body, I wondered too. And we women judge ourselves too harshly because society told us we must remain beautiful in our exterior shell forever. Yep-per.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2012 11:31:44 AM
... society told us we must remain beautiful in our exterior shell forever. Yep-per.

Really? I see the opposite. I see society giving the excuse that getting older is the green light for the majority of adults to gain pounds and for a third of the population to be obese.

'average' equals the norm.... overweight and out of shape'

People who keep in shape and eat well are the exception in modern society whether males or females. There's no reason at 58 I shouldn't get into the same pair of jeans I did at 28. Sure, my metabolism and musscle mass might have changed, but that just means eating a little less and keeping up a regular exercise regimen.
 seafoodandeatit
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2012 4:52:00 PM
I put up i go kayaking, i do but i fish at the sametime so its very slow kayaking!
I like to go for a walk it might be 5 miles but its while i am loking around at the sights.
so its all in your view of what type of fitness you do.
and to acewrap,
I am sure most woman do not look in the mirror when they put down their build as average. weight is not ment to mean because your sister or friends are fat that makes you average. just saying is all.
 CeeBee2234
Msg: 133
Posted: 11/5/2012 9:03:53 AM
Keeping up goes two ways... Just saying. I know I am pretty darned active and not willing to slow down. There are a number of people I would not consider because of their inactivity. I work hard to keep physically fit. I know the people I do choose to let into my life have to be able to maintain a certain level of physical activity. If I can single hand a sailboat in the Gulf of Mexico, I totally expect my partner to be able to 'keep up'.

Also have to point out that age might not have that much relevance. I've dated men in their 40's who were sedentary and those in their 60's that were active.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2012 10:32:12 AM
Active? It's just what I do to enjoy life and keep Advil on the store shelf.
 isa92314
Msg: 135
Posted: 11/9/2012 10:00:26 AM
I met one guy and he startet breathing heavily after a 30 minute walk on flat ground and I ask him why he postet all this activities and he told me he did do all of that in high school! so now I always ask first if those are things they have done or doing now?
It takes a enourmous sense of humor to date at this age!
 geoweb
Msg: 136
Posted: 11/16/2012 5:43:35 AM
Al though I don't have a "can you keep up" message in my profile, I do post my activity interests, and participate in them frequently. One of the problems with being single, is that many activities I enjoy are even more enjoyable if you have someone to share them with. At 65, I credit my good health to being active my whole life, and frequently find that my friends, male or female,say they would LIKE to do a lot of the things I do, but always have an excuse. Some are still working, and don't have the free time for a canoeing/camping trip....but most, are afraid to miss their naps.

I see the comments that we have very wide age settings on our profiles, and the implication that we are looking for 'younger' women...well, perhaps it is because we are not finding what we want in women that are the same age! Most of us would prefer someone closer to our age, but have discovered that there is more to life than watching the View. cooking dinner and other activities that so many women list as 'interests' in their profiles. Since I am looking for someone who likes an active lifestyle, and I want to discourage the 'retired in place' women from contacting me because I know that in a relationship, I would still be alone when I get up early to feed the deer in the woods after a snowfall, climb a mountain to greet the sunrise, or hike a trail just to see where it goes.

It is no accident that many of us retired with a comfortable income, home paid for, etc. We worked and sacrificed for it! Now that we have time to enjoy life, we want a partner to share it with. We, as individuals, have our own criteria for wants and needs...and POF is one place that provides a chance to meet someone who 'wants and needs' the same things. The challenge here, is to sort the wheat from the chaff.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2012 9:26:16 AM
Geoweb..agreed

All in western cultures have the opportunity to be active and to eat a healthy diet. If they haven't, then it's just not a priority in their lives. I've never been interested in women who 'want to' get in shape or are 'going to' lose weight, etc. Why didn't they do this last year or the year before? Obviously it's just not central to their lifestyle. Some view being active as 'fun' and others view it as a 'chore'.

Part of the reason for the skepticism of the OP is that people who are not active 'just don't get it'. And that's fine as it's like lots of things, each to their own.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2012 1:16:21 PM

I see the comments that we have very wide age settings on our profiles, and the implication that we are looking for 'younger' women...well, perhaps it is because we are not finding what we want in women that are the same age! Most of us would prefer someone closer to our age, but have discovered that there is more to life than watching the View. cooking dinner and other activities that so many women list as 'interests' in their profiles. Since I am looking for someone who likes an active lifestyle, and I want to discourage the 'retired in place' women from contacting me because I know that in a relationship, I would still be alone when I get up early to feed the deer in the woods after a snowfall, climb a mountain to greet the sunrise, or hike a trail just to see where it goes.

I think that evaluating a woman, at least in one aspect, by her activity level gives me an insight to her mental attitude as well. A woman who lives with a little gusto, who approaches life with something more than resignation, who would rather take the stairs two at a time, who sometimes even plays with her food, tells me more than a novella sized bio.

Son's mom was old long before I. Although she was active, and still is with her women's league sports, she acted old. She thunk old. It made me tired just being around her. Do you know what I mean?
When I speak to a woman keeping up with me I'm not referring to lap times or how much we can lift. Hell, I can't even keep up with the man I remember. I suppose it's a metaphor for that spark for life. That glint in the eye. Zest. That's what I want, desire.

TK
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 139
Posted: 11/16/2012 2:19:00 PM
How about mentally active? Do you read? Discuss, share opinions, pray, yell, get irritated, love?
Or, what do we do with the ones whom are unable too?
The trains are still running...
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2012 10:19:59 PM

what do we do with the ones whom are unable too?

For some, the need for an activity partner is minimal. For some, their more strenuous endeavors or solitary pursuits. While it would be a pleasure to swim with some one (like the couple I shared a lane with this AM) fitness swimming, for me , is a solitary activity.
For others, compatibility in this area is a non-issue: the extent or lack of physical activity does not factor into their equations.

How about mentally active? Do you read? Discuss, share opinions, pray, yell, get irritated, love?

Just as, if not more, important.

TK
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2012 10:24:02 AM
It's a bit off topic but I agree. Physical and mental activity tend to compliment eachother. 'A sound mind in a sound body'. The best defense against lethargy and lack of motivation is being physically active. There's a positive momentum that builds between the two. This is even more accentuated as we get older.

Bicycling gal...yes, it's amusing. so many people are 'going to' do whatever when they retire...as if reading a book or hopping on a bike wasn't possible when thet worked 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I have the feeling that when most people retire they do the same thing in the 24 hours of a day that they did in the 16 hours of free time they had when working.
 Runnergirl79
Msg: 142
Posted: 11/17/2012 3:17:04 PM
I don't know. I ran 18 marathons last year. All one would have to do is google me or go run with me. I taught PE/Health until I took this job in MA three weeks ago. Maybe they are like me? Bored, lonely, and it feels good to be outside?
 cooldog65
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2012 4:06:27 PM

I have the feeling that when most people retire they do the same thing in the 24 hours of a day that they did in the 16 hours of free time they had when working.

8 hours plus will be sleeping and napping. The rest...who knows?
 i_ski_do_u
Msg: 144
Posted: 11/26/2012 9:28:52 PM
The younger women are cute to look at, but I have raised my kids. I don’t want one that is my kids’ age, there is a reason my kids have left home. Yes, I still do all those things and I am not to proud to admit there are quite a few women out there that can kick my butt doing them. Some of my friends were ski racers when they were younger and are still awesome skiers. And I work part-time at a ski resort for the social aspects as well as a free season pass and there are many others, both men and women, like me doing the same thing. We are activity, ibuprofen is a common friend and we enjoy our lives. Better to die out doing something you enjoy than wasting away in a nursing home unless it’s in Margaretville.
 deserthykergal
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2012 10:42:58 AM
Oh boy, I guess I better change my body type from "Average" to "Fit" since the consensus seems to be that average equals overweight and out of shape and I'm definitely none of those.
 2FunCoco
Msg: 146
Posted: 11/27/2012 2:22:13 PM
Im not quite there yet but I LOVE my age that I am still active and look younger. I dont still feel younger but I look it still. So I do things where I can while I can. I still can not kill grizzlies but I kill the heck out of chicken! LOL j/k
 i_ski_do_u
Msg: 147
Posted: 11/27/2012 3:25:56 PM
Not much snow in Colorado yet, but I put my skis on this afternoon and went out to make a few turns. Ohhhhhhhhhh it felt sooooooooooo good. Yaw, I may be an old guy, but damn I still look good coming down the hill.
 DragRacinJim
Msg: 148
Posted: 11/28/2012 12:18:05 AM
In my late 20's and early 30's I did triathlons, pretty serious for about 7 years culminating in training for Ironman distance races. From that time forward, I have always been active, backpacking, cycling, etc. My physiology is just that I've never been overweight and even if I start breathing hard, I can still go and go where the "young bucks" poop out. My profile is 100% honest, however because of the BS from the braggarts, older men get a bad rap. Women see 50 in my age and immediately tune me out. Guess what, I am still in as good of shape as men in their early 40's and get mistaken for that age frequently. Of course those shallow women have no idea what they are missing out on. I have no plans to adopt a sedentary lifestyle, it just gets frustrating when you are immediately discounted because of a number.

Cairnmom, I do agree with you. I've seen "average" and wow, I must be an Olympian.
 saddestangel7
Msg: 149
Posted: 11/28/2012 12:34:58 AM
One area they can't keep up is sexually without the help of a little blue pill. lol I am starting to understand why there are so many cougars hunting for cubs. I've yet to venture into that area.
 2FunCoco
Msg: 150
Posted: 11/28/2012 4:54:37 AM

One area they can't keep up is sexually without the help of a little blue pill.

Why do you think we stay active in the first place? I do things now that my younger me would have stopped hours ago. I was in it for me not the other person. Now I get joy giving rather than receiving. I can bet there is more than one man that will back me up here.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are they really this active?