Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are they really this active?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DragonBits
Msg: 201
Are they really this active?Page 9 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

I think any man that put's that much effort into running hundreds of miles, kayaking, climbing mountains, skydiving, snowboarding, and (eating pizzas with their bare hands) lol.....is one brave fellow.

I would never post on a profile, "Can you keep up" there are women in my age range that can run a half marathon, I couldn't keep up with that. And to me posting "Can you keep up" sounds pretentious, just like “No couch potatoes” sounds demeaning.

Many of these activities just require a sense of adventure, they aren't all that physically demanding. Skydiving takes nearly zero effort, kayaking isn't hard to do, climbing mountains is easy if you pick an easy mountain.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Are they really this active?
Posted: 3/13/2013 9:38:29 AM
I can keep up...oh wait different topic...I'll have to cut this short, time for a 9 mile hike and when I get back I will hit the couch, see you can do both.
 Stubidooo
Msg: 203
Posted: 3/13/2013 9:50:42 AM
Strangely enough I know lots of guys

I doubt that..

You're best bet with Stubi, is to totally ignore him

Who are you again?

maybe shocked to learn that not every man thinks the same way

Yeah yeah yeah.. I know lots of guys that talk like girls IRL :rolleyes:

you will see he was attacking me personally.

Never happened... you came after me... another blonde moment?
 deere_rancher
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2013 10:29:18 AM

I think it's all bravado -- or an attempt to attract a much younger woman who may be willing to engage in these sorts of activities. What ya'll think?

OP.... I think your assessment , may be based on fear , of younger women.

Some people are retired , living in a condo and are just proud of the fact
that they haven't allowed themselves to become couch potatoes and want to brag about it

I'm not dismissing the fact that, many men and women's motivation for exercising. is to draw a
more attractive mate., just think your asessment is too generalizing
 ladyc4
Msg: 205
Posted: 3/13/2013 1:12:27 PM

I think it's all bravado -- or an attempt to attract a much younger woman who may be willing to engage in these sorts of activities. What ya'll think?
this from the OT

OP.... I think your assessment , may be based on fear , of younger women.

Really, dude? REALLY? From one question at the end of her topic, you can conclude that she has a fear of younger women?

Personally, what I took from it was her suggesting( maybe even insinuating) that men between 50&80 are overstating the quantity and nature of their activities hoping to attract younger women. I think that's a fair question and not an indication of fearing someone or something.
Regardless of whether or not there is any fear anywhere, I also suspect that the OP is slyly poking fun at people who puff up their profiles-because I don't know of too many people who have had true dating/relationship success via misrepresenting themselves, their activity levels, their socioeconomic situation or whatever.

As for what a certain poster wants to cast doubt on a statement I made by taking just a tiny snippet of it...nice try buddy. But since you aren't riding around in my back pocket, you have no way of assessing my social and acquaintanceship circles. Unless you were presuming that I meant "know" in the Biblical sense-even then, you are not present in my life to observe it.

Your reaction to the 3 people who didn't kiss up to your "I'm a guy" statement, I notice, are married or widowed. Is it possible they might have learned something from POSITIVE relationship experiences, which gives them grounds to debate your statement?
OT-it's hard to say whether or not the profile claims you speak of are accurate. I know a lot of people over 50 and not too many of them are snowboarding or engaging in significant mountain climbing. But a lot of them are pretty active in that they are not vegged out in front of the TV all the time.
Cindy O
 BicyclingGal
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2013 2:57:28 PM
People who are fit and active are not 'too busy' for things in life. In contast, being fit increases your total pool of energy. You feel better, sleep better, etc.

^^^+1. The best sleep I ever have is on a cycling vacation, riding 60 miles for 6 days in a row. I sleep so hard that a bomb could go off next to me and I'd never hear it.

I'm not sure what folks are doing in life when they don't have time to go for a 15 minute run or don't have time to go to the gym....or don't have time to eat a nutritious diet. They have odd priorities. They had to do what...get in another 10 minutes on the video game?

They have to watch the latest TV show, don'tcha know? Soooo important to keep up with the Kardassians! (I may have spelled their name wrong, since I don't watch that crap.)

As for that particular poster whose name begins with 'S' who gets into arguments in the forum daily, whenever I see that name I think of Scooby Doo. LOL
 MsMaureenw
Msg: 207
Posted: 3/13/2013 3:23:09 PM
YES! At least some are!!!

I know a lot of men like this. What is even funnier though: the bigger "Muscly" guys just want to go home, eat and sleep on weekdays. LOL LOL LOL They come out on weekends. It is so funny. They have their routine, and that's that. They will arrange their schedules but be cute and say "I did this for you". LOL

I have quite a a few male friends who appear never to sleep. I'll see them for an activity in the morning on a Sat, go do an activity with my girlfriends and meet up with the guys that evening . They are still going strong regaling the ladies with their days activities.

Then you have the ones who LOVE the idea of it and because they actually like it, they will say it. Do they do it often? Nope.

Then you have those who need a little boost to get them off the couch. LOL If you do all the prep, they will go. LOL
 wilsoon222
Msg: 208
Posted: 3/15/2013 4:34:43 AM
My best guess is that fewer than 20% of American men age 50 or over remain really physically active, in a cardiovascular regime, and fewer than 10% age 60+ as acquired health problems become manifest. . On this site the percentage could be considerably different; no way to acurately determine. Occasionally one will find, at this hallowed age, a very active person. Here's a link to an old co-worker of mine, Robert Frary, from 37-38 years ago. Of course, he's had reason to be highly motivated.
http://www.allynjoyce.com/about-our-company/bio/
See the video clip, bottom-left.
 activemelaney
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2013 10:07:41 AM
Active people attract active people. It doesn't matter what percent are active. All I know is that when I was on Match that I searched only for for men with athletic bodies and men with athletic bodies searched for me. I met 8 guys and all but one seemed fit and alert. My guy is a dyamo but at least also enjoys quiet times.

I disagree that men become less active with age. My experience as an RN is that there is a shift around the early 50's. Many males (even more females) get into exercise regimes, dancing, nature walking groups, etc. They are not the majority but more active than those in their mid 30's and 40's. A even higher percent of elder seniors are quite active... they thrive on the social aspects and are much more tuned in to the benefits.

Anyway. my observation is that prime couch potato age is yonger than most think and that the effects accumulate until a light bulb goes off after a divorce, medical issue or a friend drops dead. Then a significant percent (not most) stop smoking, put down the beer bottle, lace up the sneakers and make an effort to improve their health.
 Stubidooo
Msg: 210
Posted: 3/15/2013 10:30:24 AM
As for that particular poster whose name begins with 'S' who gets into arguments in the forum daily, whenever I see that name I think of Scooby Doo.

From where did you think the name was derived?

Stubidobidooooooooooooooooooo to the rescue
 qdp65
Msg: 211
Posted: 3/16/2013 2:47:44 AM
[Men between 50 and 80 are apparently running hundreds of miles, kayaking, climbing mountains, skydiving, snowboarding, and killing grizzlies with their bare hands and they're looking for a woman who does these things.]

I see enough of these same type comments from the ladies. “I don’t look my age….i date men younger….if you think your old don’t email me… if you cant keep up….blah blah blah” I don’t think its bravado…its ridiculous. In fact, a lot of profiles I read seem to require men to perform in order to get a response….”if you think youre funny enough…if you can spoil me…if you can …” rather than discuss anything they have to offer to a relationship and they do it under the cloak of being a “strong woman”

So …yeah…I get it…and it does go both ways.
 ioniancat21
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2013 10:41:52 AM
I'll tell you, being in my 40's is strange because I'm seeing this now amongst women in my age group. I see men in their 40's and up wanting to hold onto their sexuality and on the flipside, a lot of women in this same age group not having sex for years on end.

When I have spoke with friends on this, it seems to center around the topics that their bodies aren't as youthful and they seem ashamed to show themselves naked or their sex drive has greatly diminished, maybe hormonal. Also for both sexes, a drop in their endurance or length of time they can have sex before becoming tired or lacking in potency is stopping a lot of people too......
 AthatitaApudetat
Msg: 213
Posted: 3/16/2013 10:50:25 AM
I can only say for myself at age 50 I am as active as I was at any age. I still workout, go canoeing, cross country biking, play football with my boys(I have 3 older than 17 sons). I go party at the clubs with them. I still go to concerts. What ever I did when I was younger I still do it now with the same energy. So for me the question I ask isn't can you keep up but do you like to do those things. Because most women I've met at my age don't do the things I do.

ps.. I have skydived, climbed several mountains in my life time, I did use a gun when I killed a grizzly thou
 angelsfarm
Msg: 214
Posted: 4/5/2013 3:42:55 AM
IMO, I believe it depends upon the man. My profile includes reference to outdoor activities such as hiking, etc. It's not done to boost, brag or showboat...it's because I'm looking for a woman with the same interest. That said, I've seen profiles of guys I know who profess to be in shape. Unfortunately, their idea of a hike is from the car to the buffet line. As a previous poster mentioned, you don't know until you ask...best of luck in your search.
 bff99
Msg: 215
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2013 2:09:15 PM
really! I have found in almost every profile that women all say the same thing that you accuse men of. what I think is happening is that women read the guy profiles and then try and mimic them as a way to make themselves appear more compatible. I think if one wanted to make an impression talking about their activities they should talk about how they use their energy and physical abilities to volunteer to help those less fortunate, such as neighbours and community events. who cares if you like to jog or hike? what does that do or say about you? nothing.
 zelig77
Msg: 216
Posted: 4/5/2013 2:20:39 PM

who cares if you like to jog or hike? what does that do or say about you? nothing.

I dunno, seems to me that it says you like to jog or hike and that those activities are important to you. Perhaps you are seeking to date someone who shares those interests?

For example: I'm a runner. I'm doing a 10 mile race this weekend and did a half-marathon 3 weeks ago. I have mentioned that on a profile because it's something I enjoy, something that is important to me. It is not the ONLY thing about me (and it's not the only thing I have listed), but I have definitely mentioned it when I had a non-hidden 'for meeting people' profile.
 peerless3
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2013 2:27:21 PM
Look. It's your narrative/profile. If one spent every waking moment changing its wording simply because the professional crones on this site have an an attack of the vapours upon reading it, well you'd never enjoy your pursuit. Ignore the monkeys and they soon will stop playing with themselves. :o)
 wasatchsteve
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2013 2:14:47 PM
I'm 53 and rock climb 3 days a week and hike and raft regularly, and there are plenty of other men in their 60's and 70's who can hike and climb me into the ground. A female friend of mine in her 60's became the oldest woman to climb Everest last year.

So yes, some of actually *are* being honest about our activity level.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2013 4:31:07 PM
4 points, I think:

1. I like food. I enjoy eating it, preparing it, sharing it. I enjoy food. But, in order for me to enjoy food even close to the level I desire, I have to stay active. I'm having a steak tonight. home grown taters and beans. side of mushrooms and onions. I went for a 5-6 mile power walk this afternoon (received a cold Montana rain baptism for my troubles, too - I'm still froze) with my eye on that prize.

2. I like slim, active, fit, toned women. While I suppose it is possible that such a dream would appreciate me as a roly poly blob, I think there is little hope of that ( and none in my experience) with the size of my wallet. If I'm going to attract that which is attractive to me I think I ought to present a similar package.

3. I like sex. I intend to actively participate in the romantic arts for as long as I possibly can. Being fit, low fat to muscle ratio, is the best guarantee that I accomplish that goal. Further, I've found, through personal experience, being larger (me or lover) interferes with my ability to perform, enjoy, participate in physical intimacy. Being fat sucks.

4. There are certain activities I enjoy, like growing the food I mentioned in item 1, that I find require and complement staying active and fit. While I've seen pudges working in their little postage stamp gardens (containers) my life revolves around an active life style.

You know, at our ages, most of us have had a hiccup or two in our health. I've had one major one that was a wake up call. Dad's going in for bypass surgery this month, and I don't want to be there in 20 years. I also imagine myself with a woman who makes me look like a slob (not a blob!). To that end being active is just one facet of a healthy life. There are no assurances: Lightning strikes the righteous and the evil, but all things being equal, I've got a better chance of achieving the above staying active.

TK
[dry and warmer - rain has stopped, guess I am grilling outside tonight]
 tnt144
Msg: 220
Posted: 4/6/2013 7:21:18 PM
I don't know.... I get tired walking to the bathroom!
 NJgallooking
Msg: 221
Posted: 4/6/2013 7:27:55 PM
The ones that had that written in the profile were telling the truth. They really did do the sports or the bike riding, etc..
 purplerider1200
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2013 8:50:29 PM
Hmm, whatever happened to truth in advertising? I must be in the minority. What you read is what I am. Or am I that much of a dullard?
 bee-catcher
Msg: 223
Posted: 4/8/2013 4:07:11 PM
I wrote but you were not accepting anyone of my gender I am a man . beecatcher
 tallbrowneyedlady
Msg: 224
Posted: 4/8/2013 4:47:42 PM
I agree. I read these profiles about hiking the Grand Canyon, etc. I consider myself to be pretty healthy but I wonder about some of these guys.Although they're better than the couch potatoes.
 _islandbird
Msg: 225
Posted: 4/8/2013 7:22:24 PM
I , like numerous other posters in these forums, live a truly rural lifestyle. Although I no longer drop my own trees for firewood, nor buck them up (both dangerous activities regardless of age), I still split those great rounds and stack the wood to dry.................... usually 4 - 5 cords of firewood each winter season. Poultry and livestock feed still comes in 20 kg sacks and hand-bombing several metric tonne (2200 lb) skids of feed sacks into the feed shed on a regular basis is a fair workout. REAL country living is hard physical work, but it is my lifestyle and I love it. It produces the most delicious kind of tired.

Curiously, there aren't oodles of men keen to join in on anything that looks like actual exercise :-) Also, if they spend as much time out beach-walking, hiking, swimming, etc, how come I never run into them ???...........................just sayin'

I think a lot of folks are just point-blank delusional about how physically active they are.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are they really this active?