Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men over 55 ??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lionesse19
Msg: 51
Men over 55 ??Page 3 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Yeah, like the guy who states he is 5'11" on his profile and t hen shows up at 5'7". Who do they think they are kidding? This has happened more than once to me when I bothered with cyberspace dating. Then there is the "average" guy who is more than a few pounds overweight in reality and often only his twenties but wondering why he gets no contacts. So lies and subterfuge happen with both genders.
 Lionesse19
Msg: 52
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/16/2012 9:51:02 PM
ohenryx

How many women have you found within a 10 mile radius? Men have it hard on here and have to be prepared to go "that extra mile." lol
 SupermansHandsomeBrother
Msg: 53
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/16/2012 9:54:01 PM
Haha, very funny!
Please have a look at what kind of women consider themselves "average body type"!
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 54
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/17/2012 4:53:46 AM

Please have a look at what kind of women consider themselves "average body type"!

I don't look at men's profiles, but I'm sure they're no different. One of the problems with weight categories is that average, etc. means different things to different people. I wish POF would get rid of that and, instead, allow people to show a weight range. For example, I'm 150 lbs. so, instead of saying I'm slim, I could fall into a weight range, say 140 to 150.
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/17/2012 5:46:16 AM
Jimintoronto, I don't think it a great idea to ask a woman to identify her wt. range. How many times have you ever asked a woman how much she weighs.??LOL You might have your head bitten off in a hurry. I think one sees themselves differently than others see them. Sometimes, I think the wt description is an honest evalutaion of ones self and other times it could be intentional deception. True for both genders.!
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 56
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/17/2012 6:08:09 AM

I think one sees themselves differently than others see them. Sometimes, I think the wt description is an honest evalutaion of ones self and other times it could be intentional deception. True for both genders.!

That was my point, more or less. You're just using different words.
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/17/2012 6:12:49 AM
Aww, the written word can be misunderstood at times. Gottcha!
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 58
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/17/2012 7:20:49 AM

Aww, the written word can be misunderstood at times. Gottcha!

No truer words were ever spoken. That's one of the things which makes online dating such a challenge.
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/17/2012 8:47:59 AM
That's very funny winterinfla.!! From one smoker to another. LOL
 nativerock
Msg: 60
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/17/2012 8:54:53 AM

I wish POF would get rid of that and, instead, allow people to show a weight range. For example, I'm 150 lbs. so, instead of saying I'm slim, I could fall into a weight range, say 140 to 150.

I list my weight in my profile and the reason I do that is I would not want to date anyone that was double my weight. So that is an option we all have is to list it.
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/17/2012 9:00:11 AM
Nativerock, do you really think women would be comfortable listing their weight in a profile on a dating site?? They are often insulted when a wt. issue comes up as it is. We all know how thin you are, so you are thinking in your terms. How about someone that has a wt. issue??
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 62
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/17/2012 9:16:24 AM

I list my weight in my profile and the reason I do that is I would not want to date anyone that was double my weight. So that is an option we all have is to list it.

I do the same, but I think we are in the minority. I rarely see a woman mention her weight.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/17/2012 9:32:00 AM

How about someone that has a wt. issue??

No problem! Just go to Native's web site and eat from the recipes therein. In no time at all you won't have a weight issue!

At least, not the same issue.........

Don't really see why Native worries about the over 200 lbs men. The woman can avoid weight issues with her man by taking the top position....:)
 rearguard*2
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/17/2012 9:39:12 AM

Yes you do...lol

Well, a search radius of more than 10 miles around Calgary pretty well takes you into the endless wasteland of the prairie. Exactly how many prospects can
you find in, say, Strathmore?
 cooler online
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/17/2012 1:47:29 PM
uh, take a look around. That IS average for the 55+ crownd. Men and women.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 66
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/17/2012 2:48:10 PM

Well, a search radius of more than 10 miles around Calgary pretty well takes you into the endless wasteland of the prairie. Exactly how many prospects can
you find in, say, Strathmore?

Didn't anyone ever tell you no one likes a smart a$$.......endless wasteland indeed. Lol Obviously it's been a long time since you've been to Calgary my friend.

...mae
 andy1961
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/17/2012 3:14:01 PM
Was it mine? Not that I really care, especially if you didn't message.

I am a man and I am 10 years over 55 and I don't want to date children, or a lot of others, and I don't care who know it or what they think about it.

I have all kinds of education - generally referred to as "overqualified" - some formal and some not, seen a lot of things and done a lot of things and, as you'll see when you read my profile, survived a few things. I can string more than three words together to make a real sentence.

I have opinions that have been formed in fire and will willingly change them if you can show me, not just tell me, that I am wrong.

FishOwl, after reading this post of your's I took the liberty of reading your profile.

It's a great read. Well written, interesting and frankly fascinating! It's content and indeed the whole essence of it, certainly backs up what you're saying in the post I've quoted above.

I urge any woman or man, to read it.

Good job sir, and best of luck.
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 68
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/18/2012 8:01:47 AM

One example: There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand computers and those who don't. If you don't get it, ask me and I will explain. Or ask another geek.

FishOwl:

Speaking as a fellow geek, that one cracked me up. Good one!

Nice profile, by the way. A lot of thought went into that.
 Blueline294
Msg: 69
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/18/2012 8:58:03 AM
I think that's the key, just being honest about it.
 DragonBits
Msg: 70
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/18/2012 10:54:43 AM
Computers? Pfft.

One example: There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand computers and those who don't. If you don't get it, ask me and I will explain. Or ask another geek.
fishOwl:
Speaking as a fellow geek, that one cracked me up. Good one!

I don't understand computers, and they aren't to be trusted, I shouldn't even be posting this least they attack me in mass with a denial of service attack.

My windows computer plays nice with me, just as I begin to trust my relationship, it refuses to answer my keystrokes. I can't get a word out of it after that, it just ups and disappears. Out of frustration, the only thing I can do is stop feeding it power, thus starving it's brain until it becomes brain dead.

Then it is reborn again into a friendly computer, but now I know in it's heart lurks darkness.

So then I got a UNIX computer, they never quit on me like windows computers did, a very reliable date. But then she asks me, do you want to grep your document, what the fck is grep? So I called the old Solaris customer support, they say no problem, you can use sed or awk, but really, perl is best, we can FTP you a copy. What language are they speaking, how can they help me when I only understand every other word?

So maybe a MAC? Heck, it only cost twice as much as it should, but it does have a very pretty face. Who cares if it doesn't get along with the other OSes on the block and lives in a world of it's own?

So I think, maybe now windows is better. And you know, it is better, but as soon as I go visiting some strange WWW site, I get an infection, a dreaded STD, a serially transmitted disease. I used to only get those when I exchanged physical disks with unsavory sources in strange swap meets, now they come flying over the ether from every which way, I am afraid to open my mail for fear of a lethal infection.

When I was much younger, I really wanted to understand computers. So I studied all the DOS tribal commands, learned to fixboot, tracerout, and many more. But as soon as I learned 1/2 of what I needed to know, BAM, it was all obsolete and now only old guys in swap meets know what I am talking about, I have to learn system 7 but now i know why learn anything, next will be MS system 20,XXXX because that is the wave of future.

I go to my shed and visit my old model 80, she was a good girl when she was new, 300 meg of disk space, she was quite a race horse in her day.

My life is littered with divorces from past computers, I never wanted to leave them, but what can a man do? Old scsi scuzzy buss interfaces, tape drives, ultra this and mega that, who knows what happened to my trusty paper tape reader?

Everything I have ever learned about computer is obsolete in 5 years, I have given up on understanding them, women are much easier.

And just by talking this way, every geek knows I must be over 55.
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 71
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/18/2012 11:08:45 AM
DragonBits:

I got into the computer racket in 1963, so can relate to all of your (amusing) rants. Been there, done that. :-)
 ohenryx
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/18/2012 12:59:12 PM

fifi47]
I have encountered men online who limit their search to within 10-20 miles.

me
If you live in a really large urban area, you really don't need to search farther than 10 miles.

*mae*_flowers
Yes you do...lol

…mae

Lioness19
ohenryx

How many women have you found within a 10 mile radius? Men have it hard on here and have to be prepared to go "that extra mile." Lol

No, actually I don’t have to search more than 10 miles out. I live close to downtown Houston, the 4th largest metropolitan area in the United States. There are a really large number of women living within 10 miles of me. And I do not have it “hard on here”, I find that I can get more dates than I know what to do with. The demographic that I am mostly interested in, 50 and 60 year old women, seem to be the ones who really have it hard. I’m not at all sure why that is, but it does appear to be true.

My only problem is finding someone that I am attracted to, who is simultaneously attracted to me, and we can stand to be around each other for extended periods of time. Finding attractive women for initial meetings is ridiculously easy.

AUC_MMDCCV
Msg: 73
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/18/2012 10:19:44 PM

Exactly! I really don't see the necessity to lie about anything on your profile. When you do meet somebody and realizes they've lied about their age and/or body style , the first thing that will come to mind (for me it is) will be "so what else have you lied about?" It's not a good first impression.

I agree.

My attitude is: If you have to lie to attract a partner then you've already established you're a liar. You're also going to lie in order to keep them.

If age is "just a number" that implies it's insignificant. So why does anyone need to lie about something that's insignificant?

Does anyone else here notice that those who lie about their age and then blab the "just a number" excuse, invariably have adjusted their "number" down, not up? Wonder why?
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 74
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/19/2012 7:32:50 AM
I also love the ones who talk about how they act and look at least 10 years younger than their age, or that they are attractive. If someone's profile interests me and we happen to meet, I'll be the judge of that. If their statement is true, it will be obvious and there's no point in "advertising" it.
 ladyc4
Msg: 75
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/19/2012 8:44:21 AM
Well, for me anything double my own weight would be livestock...so I don't worry too much about it.
As for actually listing weight , clothing sizes,etc...simple numbers just do not always present an accurate picture.
Both football players and rachorse jockeys are athletes. Good weight for a linebacker would put a jockey in the unemployment office.
Body weight is just a part of the appearance factor...and a heavier bone structure or muscular build may add to the number showing on the scale while not cause an appearance of being overweight.

But, if you look at the OT-the questions that were asked, focused on the possibilities of the POF search engine being broken or if 55+ men just don't sign up for online dating. The OP got some excellent tips about how to get a better result from the search engine, and then away we went-again!-into the twin obsessions of misrepresentation and weight. Or maybe it's just ALL misrepresentation...but misrepresentation of age and/or body type seem to be the big
issue.
Neither of these were questions asked by the OP.
Personally I think the more damaging misrepresentations are to do with one's REAL marital status, misrepresentations of ones' dating intentions, and misrepresentations of education level, employment status and financial stability.
But misrepresentation was not the OPs' question.
Cindy O
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men over 55 ??