Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men over 55 ??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 76
Men over 55 ??Page 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand computers and those who don't.

I'd always heard it *this* way: There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't. But I guess computers works, too, lol!

But not a geek, alas. English major/poet/doll maker. When my son was showing me around his plasma physics project done for his Ph.D at Livermore, I asked him why he thought I would understand magnetic bottles. . . . His reply? "'Cause you're smart?"
 SpeedracerSmith
Msg: 77
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/19/2012 9:08:24 AM

I also love the ones who talk about how they act and look at least 10 years younger than their age, or that they are attractive. If someone's profile interests me and we happen to meet, I'll be the judge of that. If their statement is true, it will be obvious and there's no point in "advertising" it.

Oh this is so very true! I shy away from profiles like that....it screams of insecurity and hints that perhaps they are looking for someone 10 years younger. Be proud of your age! If you are healthy and relatively attractive...well, think of the alternative and be thankful.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 78
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/19/2012 10:39:04 AM

I also love the ones who talk about how they act and look at least 10 years younger than their age, or that they are attractive.

Think there's always a combo of wishful thinking, a bit of mind control attempt, and an inability to actually see/assess one's self. . . .

When I was teaching in China, a lot of students would bring me adverts from friends working for various companies (they were tapped by friends because they were English students) ~~ almost always the ads were an attempt to pre-hynotise the buyer/user into the company's POV. I kept telling them that one might *suggest* or *imply* but that *ordering* just wasn't going to work -- it actually invites the contrary view from the consumer. . . . Never saw any evidence that anyone understood.

OT for the above about what age knows what about computers, lol! When I first got online in 2003, lightening fried my modem the first week. Found the local guy, hauled my box in, and had a new modem, stat. But he was *a good deal older* than I'd come to expect of techies, so taking all my courage in hand, I asked. . . . He laughed: he said he'd been working on computers since he was draftee during WWII -- his first was ENIAC, and he just never could break the habit. . . .
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 79
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/19/2012 10:48:41 AM

He laughed: he said he'd been working on computers since he was draftee during WWII -- his first was ENIAC, and he just never could break the habit.

I remember hearing about ENIAC, but I was still a child when it came out in 1946. The gentleman you speak of was truly a computing pioneer.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 80
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/19/2012 11:20:06 AM
Jim, indeed! He only lived a couple of years past my meeting him, but Dang! he was *good*!
 larissan04
Msg: 81
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/19/2012 5:32:40 PM
i think some men lie about their age and will put 49 or 50 on their profile. i am not sure why this is. i like men in their 50s. frank sinatra was way more attractive in his 50s, and let's not forget sean connery. i am convinced he'll be sexy until the day he dies. i think the real problem is that most men are married. thee are fewer and fewer options for single women in their 40s and 50s. plus many men prefer to date younger women, which makes it even more difficult to meet someone.
 FrndlyStrgr
Msg: 82
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/19/2012 6:36:22 PM
BINGO, Enermai. The lies can work pretty well, as long as you stay out in the ether and never actually meet anybody. That's a lonely prospect...
 augustmoon751
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/19/2012 9:00:29 PM
I just turned 59 and my biggest hurdle is that I look young for my age. I guess I should look over weight, no hair, and have my face hang down to the ground then someone will think I'm 59. Sorry, I'm glad I look young but it seems to be intimidating.
 Rain587
Msg: 84
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/19/2012 10:12:01 PM
I met three men that lied about their age. All three claimed it was a test in the beginning and then found they couldn't change it later. One even lied about the photo that was put up. It was ten years old.

On the flip side, I know a woman that puts her age right but takes current photos and photoshops them to look much younger and she actually looks much older.

My profile is current though hidden right now. I was told BBW wasn't me because I'm not big and busty but a little over isn't right either. I have no idea what to put but figure my photos will tell it.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/19/2012 11:10:11 PM

I did a search for men over 55 and put "doesn't matter" in most of the boxes except
for race and education. For the mileage range, I put 50. One profile showed up.
Is the search engine broken or don't men over 55 join these meeting sites?

More than likely, most of the guys have set their message filtering that excludes women with your profile settings such as age or distance which is why they don't show up when you search for them. If you want to test this, log out of PoF and do a search. You should get more results.
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 86
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/20/2012 3:53:49 AM
Have we even heard back from the Op? :-(
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 87
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/20/2012 6:22:36 AM
Today I got a cut n paste email from a man who was listed as age 57. There is no way that he is only 4 years older than me. He looked like he could be my Father, I suspect he is at least 10 yrs older than he states & does that as to be able to slip under email age restrictions (I just put restrictions on email-hate to do it cuz of the forums)

Attraction needs to be mutual. This was not an attractive older man...what was he thinking? YIKES!
 Paderic
Msg: 88
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/20/2012 7:04:17 AM

Attraction needs to be mutual. This was not an attractive older man...what was he thinking? YIKES!

Just about everyone will get an email from someone they aren't attracted to for whatever reason. Just delete them and move on. When you complain that the other person should have known they aren't in your league, you come off as being extremely arrogant.
 DragonBits
Msg: 89
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/20/2012 7:51:42 AM
Angel, I assume everyone is honest. I really do.

Today I got a cut n paste email from a man who was listed as age 57. There is no way that he is only 4 years older than me. He looked like he could be my Father, I suspect he is at least 10 yrs older than he states & does that as to be able to slip under email age restrictions

So if he is honest, that means the guy takes horrible care of himself and has bad genes.

Others like that I sometimes think are delusional, clinically insane, running a scam or have some sort of other psychological disorder. While those running a scam are lying, I mainly think of them as crooks. There are no good choices.

IMO men run into this less since we generally chose first who to chat with, we get far fewer unsolicited emails. Unless a guy just mass emails any pretty face.
 Blueline294
Msg: 90
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/20/2012 3:17:27 PM
I don't know about men being the big culprit in this. I get messages all the time from women who say they are "49 or 50" and there is no way they are youger than early to mid 60's. And their definition of average is quite a bit "more" than mine.
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/20/2012 3:36:11 PM
Sounds like both men and women have adjusted their age and wt. to be more appealing to the on line dating world. Maybe if everyone would describe themselves honestly we could all have a more productive experience. Lies always have a way of catching up with you in one way or another.
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/20/2012 3:39:56 PM
i would just like to add, that it takes a lot of confidence in yourself and insight to do just that!!!
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 93
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/20/2012 4:02:14 PM
Trust me guys, the man I whined about WAS LYING about his age...big time!
 Janet_Always
Msg: 94
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/20/2012 4:09:47 PM
I met a woman while listening to live music at a bar on Friday night and she and I graduated the same year from HS, but her face was extremely lined and leathery -- while the rest of her was about what you'd expect.

Not everyone that looks "older" is lying. Some just have had a rough life, I think. Outdoors too much, drugs or something like that.
 FlaxenBlonde
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/20/2012 5:58:01 PM

Today I got a cut n paste email from a man who was listed as age 57. There is no way that he is only 4 years older than me. He looked like he could be my Father, I suspect he is at least 10 yrs older than he states & does that as to be able to slip under email age restrictions (I just put restrictions on email-hate to do it cuz of the forums)

Angel --- Many of us are familiar with the old cut & paste messages as evidenced on some other threads. Those are always disappointing & make me just want to hit delete. As far as deception concerning age, yes I agree women see this a lot. I think that men might also see this but can't say for sure. Part of the problem is the ever so predictable compliment of "Oh no, you can't be XX age, you look 10 years younger!" Some people who hear this start believing it, even though the people who have said were it were only wanting to flatter them. It sure makes the person giving the compliment popular with others. Then suppose someone who is 65 really believes others that he/she looks 55 and he/she says hmmmmm... well, bet I could pass for maybe 5 years younger than that!! Woohoo... now I think I really look 50 -- so holy cow, since I like to date people 5-10 years younger than me, then I should contact & date people of the opposite sex who are 40-45. There you have it... a man wanting to date a woman young enough to be his daughter or a woman wanting to date a man young enough to be her son.

What were they thinking? Can't tell you for sure, but it probably isn't what I might be thinking when I see their photo.

I'm 64 and think I look 64 and I don't see anything wrong with looking like you are your real age... just sayin'
 statemachine500
Msg: 96
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/20/2012 6:51:54 PM

I'm 64 and think I look 64 and I don't see anything wrong with looking like you are your real age... just sayin'

You look like a young 64.
 SpeedracerSmith
Msg: 97
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/20/2012 7:10:06 PM
We're all getting older...you can't run away from it. Sure, I don't like it..but I'm not gonna lie...and no one else should.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 98
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/21/2012 5:16:46 AM
Different people look different at certain ages for a variety of factors, but as I said, this man was ALOT older than he stated-it wasn't just a hard life, you could tell by the way he looked, dressed, wrote, his surroundings that he was WAY WAY older...I give him credit 4 trying though!
 nativerock
Msg: 99
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/21/2012 9:25:20 AM

My only problem is finding someone that I am attracted to, who is simultaneously attracted to me, and we can stand to be around each other for extended periods of time. Finding attractive women for initial meetings is ridiculously easy.

Well count yourself lucky since finding a man I am attracted to is not at all easy.. Am curious since your cup overflows with attractive women , how come nothing came from these meetings..

nativerock
 rearguard*2
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/21/2012 10:46:13 AM

how come nothing came from these meetings..

The more attractive a woman is, the pickier she is.....not surprising. When you consider how picky older women in general happen to be, its really to be expected
that nothing comes of a large number of meetings for anybody. With this online dating thing, you know in advance that there is a huge supply of possible dates out
there, so there is no need to accept anything but perfection in your own eyes.

Of course, there is no such thing as perfection, and there really isn't, even in a large city, much more than a few dozen possible good matches, and all of them are not on
dating sites. Even if you make a vigorous effort to date, an older woman with a secure and well developed single life is not going to be open to the upheavals of
a "serious relationship" unless she is swept off her feet, and let's face it, neither is a man going to jump into the water without a very careful tread beforehand.

Internet dating just gives on the illusion of choice.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men over 55 ??