Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 daynadaze
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Causing a war against type 1 and 2 diabetics.Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
My late father believed that all people born with a defect be it physical or mental, should be put down. He said they took up places for healthy people and they cost too much money. He smoked and drank beer like it was his job but none the less he would have thought OP was as to blame as others thought his smoking & drinking was his fault. Face it, there are haters everywhere and they all need to feel superior to others for their own ego needs.
 raxarsr
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Causing a war against type 1 and 2 diabetics.
Posted: 8/16/2012 1:30:34 PM
hey op?........what are you gonna do in 20 yrs if and quite possibly when you develope type 2?

there are hundreds of thousands of people walking around with undisclosed type 2...................and ,.if they keep changeing their minds on blood sugar levels..........in 10 years........it will be dang near everyone in the "1st world" countries.........i know..................i was "high but acceptable" for 4 yrs.............then..suddenly.......i was type 2.............my blood sugar had actually dropped 2 points..........but the standard had dropped 15
 HaloKitty
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2012 3:23:22 PM
As has been said before, not all people with type 2 diabetes are overweight. My cousin, for example, is type 2. He's 6'4, weighs somewhere around 190-195. He works as a jack-of-all-trades type person; doing roofing, construction work, cement laying, etc. Is in great physical shape. Doesn't eat to excess, doesn't drink, doesn't smoke. Not exactly the person you'd expect to have type 2 diabetes, but he does.

Deal with the trash in your own back yard before pointing out the piles in your neighbor's.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/16/2012 3:24:44 PM
I for one believe with my heart & soul that people should be free to stuff themselves to the gills with all the crap they can eat, as long as they don't expect me to pay for a portion their healthcare. Just like you should be able to smoke until you are are blue in the face, as long as you don't expect me to pay for a portion of your healthcare. I realize that these concepts are completely foreign in nanny state economies like the UK, and for all intents and purposes the US as well. Because anything that smells like a handout or a gimme or government largesse is something that people will vote for, as time has proven over and over again.

In the meantime, you have a valid point. If the State can say that I'm compelled by law to contribute towards some universal health care scheme, then why wouldn't they also be able to say "you are allowed to eat THIS but not THAT. For the greater good, of course."
 Bezoa
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/17/2012 1:01:45 AM
Heck; whatever kills me the fastest...
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/17/2012 4:58:52 AM
I think, when all is said and done, we're going to be surprised how very *little* of our health problems were actually caused by our own action. Vide: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/01/wheat-and-type-1-diabetes/ And this is just one aspect. I don't know about the UK, but the American Diabetic Association diet is a blue print for keeping someone diabetic and on drugs.

So big Food and big Pharma and the Medical Associations and the Gubbmint are all giving terrible advice, and people are following it, often at great cost to themselves both monetarily and physiologically. And sufferers from various diseases are castigating one another -- Whew!!

Truth in lending: I'm neither diabetic, nor any longer pre-diabetic. Am also wheat free and lo carb.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/17/2012 3:21:08 PM
with a very strict diet and lifestyle change.

Lotus is certainly correct about that!

I had a great visit with a dietician on Monday on the advice of my doctor and she said the same thing! Diabetes or not, a lifestyle change is a must when trying to lose weight and I am on that journey!

I have never eaten unhealthy, but instead it's my portion I must get under control.
 daynadaze
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2012 6:38:44 PM
Oh please, people get on such high horses about whatever the media is spewing at the time. Why are we all paying for the medical bills of those with high risk jobs or worst high risk lifestyles, do you have any idea what it costs to save someone from themselves? Why aren't you bytching about the costs of insurance for anorexics or those who are underweight and unhealthy, or beer drinkers or druggies, what about the high cost of criminals, I'm not breaking any laws, why am I paying for that??? The list is endless, OP is just whining because she's not fat so it's okay to blame fat people cause it's politically correct right now. WaaWaa why do I have to pay for fat people seeing a doctor, I don't know, why do you have to pay for someone with Herpes I & II to see a doctor? Why do you have to pay to watch cable TV when others are getting paid to be on cable TV?
 HaloKitty
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2012 7:51:44 PM

You are missing the point. How much sugar did he consume daily prior to becoming type II? I've seen guys like that who drink a few cokes a day. Gotta cut that kind of stuff out as we get older.

I'm not missing the point at all. I don't feel the need to divulge my cousin's food habits except to say that he very rarely ever consumes refined sugar. They live in an town of 2000 people 3 hours away from any larger city. A 12-can case of Coke is $12. A chocolate bar is $3. Junk food is not and never has been part of their diet; that goes for that whole side of the family. On the rarest of occasions do they consume sugary drinks or sweets (birthday parties, Christmas, Easter, generally). They all live relatively healthy lifestyles with only 1 uncle being a smoker. There is no fast food restaurant for 3 hours in every direction, no pizza place in town, not even a donut shop. His carbohydrate consumption has always come from bread, potatoes, etc. and while to a normal person perhaps it is to excess, given the fact that he is highly active I hardly see it as being the causative factor.

The point of the OP, however, wasn't about how much sugar someone ate, but that everyone with type 2 diabetes is overweight , who "eat crap", and who "sit on their backsides all day." I didn't miss the point at all, in fact I was disproving that point. Not everyone with type 2 diabetes eats poorly, is overweight, or is inactive. My cousin is proof of that.

If anything, between the two of us, I should be the one with type 2 diabetes. I'm overweight, consume far too much pop (although I've significantly cut back from 1 can a day to zero), am relatively inactive with a desk job, already have insulin resistance, and admittedly don't eat as many vegetables as I should or as I'd like (I don't consume bread or most grain products, however, because I believe I have a gluten sensitivity). I haven't, it should be noted, seen the inside of a fast food joint in over a year, either. I'm more at risk for type 2 than my cousin and yet he's the one who developed it.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/18/2012 5:02:09 AM
but the American Diabetic Association diet is a blue print for keeping someone diabetic and on drugs.

Why wouldn't it be? If people stopped eating crap food tomorrow and ended up without diabetes which is *mostly* a self-induced disease, the ADA would be out of business in about a year and a half. The overarching mission seems not to cure diabetes (unless of course the cure is a profitable drug), but to manage it into a stream of reliable income for the health care profession that doesn’t kill the customer too quickly. Oooh that's *so* cynical, I am sorry.

I read the the Wheatbelly book. I thought his comments about the somewhat addictive qualities of refined flour were interesting. Seems to be true; the more bread I eat the more I tend to want. Not that I'm snarfing down entire loaves, but it's so easy to make bread a habit. I have to make a conscious effort to exclude it from my diet and I'm not always successful. I do cave in to an occasional loaf of roasted garlic bread from the local bakery, it's to die for.

Simply adoring a good hunk of bread is often more complicated than that, though. People are eating bread with butter (metabolically that screams spike the blood sugar and store the fat), and then they think they're doing themselves a favor by drinking diet soads. But diet sodas create carbohydrate cravings because that’s just one side effect of the Aspartame. Also they are very acidic which adds to the witches' brew of bad stuff that people keep eating without really being aware of the consequences. And when people get carb cravings, what do they go for? Let's just say it ain't the kale and the carrots!

There was a book written back in the '70s by a guy name William Dufty. It's called "Sugar Blues" and it's a very interesting history of the development & use of refined sugar. He had the same comments about sugar's "addicting" qualities. Of course, the metabolic impact of wheat products and sugar are identical, in terms of blood chemistry and insulin response.
 Hozo
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2012 7:55:38 AM

His carbohydrate consumption has always come from bread, potatoes, etc. and while to a normal person perhaps it is to excess, given the fact that he is highly active I hardly see it as being the causative factor.

You realise that is a causitive factor. You have mentioned 2 of the 4 worst carbs to ingest.

The rule of thumb is avoid the "whites" : white sugar, white flour, white potatoes, white rice. These are among the worst carbs with the highest glycemic index.

It doesn't matter a whit whether he only consumes 2 of these 4.....what matters is the amount and frequency of intake. Bad carbs are bad carbs, no matter which you select to eat. If you eat 4 potatoes and 4 slices of bread per day, it is no different to your body than consuming a litre of soda. It has the same effect generally. Your body is flooding the cells with insulin due to eating quantities of these high glycemic foods, and insulin resistance is incrementally happening every time you engage in this behaviour.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/18/2012 9:55:32 AM
^^Good carbs though are a stretch for people genetically pre-disposed to diabetes. You can eat lots of whole wheat pasta, but the point is then you won't get a blood sugar spike, but simply from the amount of carbs, you will have a *prolonged* elevated blood glucose level, which is still really really bad for you.

No one needs to eat 300g of carbohydrates a day (lots of athletes survive on low carb diets and still perform well), REGARDLESS of the source of those carbohydrates. But we've vilified fat and animal protein so people run to all the carby junk- and diabetes rates go up.
 HaloKitty
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2012 1:26:27 PM
Nevermind. It ain't worth it.

Armchair physicians.
 Hozo
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2012 2:20:03 PM

No one needs to eat 300g of carbohydrates a day (lots of athletes survive on low carb diets and still perform well),

That is the key, and most people don't realise that. I have been following a lower-carb diet since the 1990s, at the direction of a very enightened doctor. The few things he instilled in me is the typical North American diet consists of not only high glycemic processed bad carbs, but the quantity consumed is far too high. The only way you can process that amount of carbs is if you were a tri-athlete. Most North Americans do not hit anywhere the level of metabolism to burn them without experiencing high insulin levels.

I think one problem people have is that they don't realise that what they previously thought was safe and sensible consumption of carbs is un-safe and un-sensible. Once they become insulin resistant, it is almost too late and agressive action is in order.

I was told to monitor everything I ate for a week, and compare the carb versus protein ratio. He predicted that I was consuming far more carbs versus protein, and he was right. I was instructed to try to balance my carb/protein equally by lowering my carb intake, replacing them with sensible protein, and only eat sensible carbs, such as whole grain, fruits, legumes, etc. that contained fibre and were low glycemic, and avoid the 4 "whites".

This simple approach works very well, and is easy to follow.
 Bezoa
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/18/2012 9:58:48 PM
Why is it that people want to live forever, wasn't 40 old enough at some point?
 pescando75
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/22/2012 12:12:43 PM
This thread is why I really am scared of "Universal Health Care." There will be no limit to the behaviors deemed "unacceptable" by the powers that be, and it appears the masses will be ready to pounce when they do.

Had Type I for 34 years, OP, and cannot say I've ever had anyone accuse me of being an over-indulgent eater or anything else mistaken for Type II. There is, however, plenty of discrimination to go 'round for those with health issues. Believe me. When will we be deemed to be "too expensive" to care for in society? It's coming. In fact, its already here. "Death panels" be damned.
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/22/2012 12:20:16 PM

When will we be deemed to be "too expensive" to care for in society? It's coming. In fact, its already here. "Death panels" be damned.

funny. plenty here in canada with type 1 and we have UHC and i haven't seen whatever you're paranoid about. you must have some freaky system being introduced then.
 pescando75
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/23/2012 11:47:09 AM

funny. plenty here in canada with type 1 and we have UHC and i haven't seen whatever you're paranoid about. you must have some freaky system being introduced then.

There is nothing "funny" about being discriminated against due to health issues. If you have been on the receiving end before, you might feel differently. So save your pious "paranoia" comments.

There have been a number of articles outlining Canadians bypassing your system and coming down here for treatment, along with doctors practicing down here as they cannot stay afloat based on what your system is willing to pay them.
If there is inadequate care, "Universal" coverage means little. We're already seeing doctors not wanting to take on Medicare patients down here and UHC is not even here yet.
 professora
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2014 6:33:19 AM
"nor any longer pre-diabetic"

How did you correct this? Fish? Weight change?

Thanks
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >