Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Apifany
Msg: 23
dangers of riding without a helmetPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
What was it that Morgan Freeman said to Jim Carrey in the show "Almighty Bruce"? I believe it was something along the lines of, " you can change everything but free will."
Yes, it is sad that people make mistakes and die. I imaging some parents are killed or just pass away in front of their
children every day on this planet of some seven billion people. Although the question proposed on this forum is law.
Yes we have laws. Many many laws.
I like most people follow the law as we understand it. Do we take advantage of a law in certain situations? Of course.
Think of driving and how many laws are associated with it and what ones we may have bent a little.
When I was a younger man we did not have helmet laws for a while in B.C. This just happened to be the time that I was learning to ride motorcycles. Today I am required by law to wear a certified helmet but every now and again I enjoy reliving the old days. There are risks. Same as in extreme sports. If caught I pay a fine. This, is my free will.
We all are responsible to create a just and free society. Do we want to live in a police state?
Regarding the poor fellow who pasted way because he fell of his bike and banged his head. We can show sympathy for the family for their loss and feel the happiness the individual experienced riding his bike with his kids before the accident. He rode his bike with out a helmet with knowledge of a law and chose not too.
That is free will
 Googleplus
Msg: 24
dangers of riding without a helmet
Posted: 9/13/2012 9:18:06 PM
In 2009, 70% BMW and Mercedes went to Chinese. 70% of Porsche's world sales in 2010 and 80% of Rolls Royces annual sales goes to China. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo get most of their Businesses from Chinese clients. In Canada, there are 12 current-generation Rolls Royces, 8 of which are government-owned, used to receive foreign dignataries. Some Chinese people have 10 - 20 cars in their garages, parked in 10 - 20 different apartments or houses. The reason why Europe is not in a shit-hole Economically speaking is because Chinese people are buying most of their crap.

By 2010, 55 million vehicles will be running on China's roads, the car ownership ratio will rise to 40 cars for every 1,000 Chinese citizens, and the annual production will soar to 9 million, predicted by Li Gang with the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC).

As the third-largest car market in the world, the average number of cars owned by every 1000 citizens is currently only 24, compared with over 700 in the US and the world average of 120.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2010/11/02/504280.html

Canada has nearly 600 cars per 1000 population.

http://www.economist.com/node/12714391?story_id=12714391&source=features_box4

China still has catching up to do.
 BassOfFire
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/16/2012 12:12:27 AM
My biking accident two years ago left me with a broken shoulder and hip which is probably what I'd rather have than a concussion, broken neck or death. I don't bike without my helmet.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/19/2012 10:55:25 PM
i was SURE this thread was about rubbers.

k.w.
hates rubbers

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 incorruptible
Msg: 27
Posted: 10/19/2012 9:18:25 PM
No kidding... I went down pretty hard 3 weeks ago, landed on my shoulder and broke my collarbone. I vaguely remembered hitting the ground with my helmet, but on first inspection, it seemed OK. When I got home I looked at it more closely and it was severely cracked. I'll take that over a cracked skull any day.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2012 2:47:04 AM
Hey, folks, the streets of China's major cities - which is where all their cars are - ARE paved with the corpses of dead cyclists. Ask the people who've been there recently.

As a motorcyclist for 39 years, always with a helmet, I've heard a lot of dumb excuses for not wanting to wear them. Like the booze-merchants who decry our "obsolete" liquor laws because they don't like them. Or those who want more people to ride bicycles even if it means more veggie-blobs. Sure, and loud pipes save lives, even if every bike I have seen sold in this country is equipped with a horn.

Look, how can the per-capita or per-mile or even per-passenger-mile rate of injuries be going UP if the total number of injuries is going DOWN and the number of riders and miles ridden is UP? Do you need equations? It CAN'T be true.

I'm not even talking the law here. You'd have to be as dumb as your post-concussion state to not wear a helmet on a bicycle, skateboard, scooter, motorcycle, skis or snowboard. Stop making excuses. I regularly get approached, when riding in non-helmet-law jurisdictions, by zealots who tell me I should take my helmet off because we'll lose out freedom of choice if we don't use it. WELL, I'm using it. My choice.

It can be pretty hot in a helmet at times. Helmets are now made with much better ventilation. One can also wear an ice pack. But a helmet preserves vision, keeps the rain and bugs off, and delays the "being one with nature" involved in recycling your own body.

ED BEAR
 Ed Bear
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2013 5:09:27 PM
Here's a bizarre experience... just by way of apropos events.

I Rode over to hang with some nice folks last Saturday night. They live in that most typical bohemian Vancouver digs, a rear-entry basement, and you have to get in past a fence with no doorbell or pull-string. I always hate to pay use a phone to try to get in - especially when those kids are forever chatting on them or running their batteries down! So I usually climb on top of the log in front of the parking out back and try to yell or toss things, or use a laser pointer, in hopes of getting someone's attention first.

As I gave up and stepped back and down, then turned to walk in deep shadow along the fence to the door, a hidden cross-bar caught one of my feet, pitching me forward off balance. I threw my other foot forward to get it under me, and took an awkward step - which ended with my head smashing into the side of a truck with all the force I was using to push myself erect again. It was hard enough to daze me briefly, and I went down on my right knee, hard. It made that awful THUMP of a really bad crash in progress.

Fortunately, I was still wearing my black Zox helmet. I probably would have taken a nasty concussion and some stitches otherwise - maybe even a fractured skull! Those helmets are money well-spent. I may have to replace it if it's been damaged at all.

My pants didn't tear all the way through, but a quarter-sized chunk of skin got ripped off my knee, and I don't appear to be short of blood. A dear friend kindly applied TLC, tea-tree oil and bandages, a gauze pad covered with a 3"x4" plaster and then several Band-Aids to keep it on and seal it. My sock, pants and an awful lot of Kleenex are stiff with blood. I kept adding band-aids overnight, as they were seeping through every time I woke up.

The following day, I finally unwrapped things. There was lots of blood in the bandages, but after I washed off all the encrustations (no, those are not reef-dwelling seafood - that's crustaceans!) there was just the one quarter-sized patch of missing skin, and no more blood flowing. I applied a pair of crossed extra-large Band-Aids, and nothing seeped out yet, though when I changed them I could see some blood.

I also have the cutest little bruise on my right pinky, where it got caught between my helmet and the truck as my hand tried to come up to protect my head.

I always wear protective gloves while riding, too, and even when driving cars. A friend and I rode up to a stop light Sunday, beside a bicyclist with her hands in her armpits. The poor girl couldn't even feel them - it was 1 below C (about 30F) and she wasn't wearing much. Sometimes, I wonder if we should be wearing helmets in cars, at least as passengers!

ED BEAR
 ClassC
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2013 11:43:01 PM
Gee EdBear...glad you had your helmet on!
maybe my noggin getting bonked>breaking my steel post head rest> when I was rear-ended in my pick-up wouldn't have hurt so badly IF I was wearing MY MOTORCYCLE helmet!...never thought about it.
I like the design and fit of the equestrian helmet, however have been told it "isn't in fashion" by the mountain bikers...sigh. Can't win. Will have to see how comfortable it is up Mt Washington(and whether the other snow bunnies laugh at it!)
Free Will...like the sound of that!
and wish ALL kids pushing their limits had decent helmets ON THEIR HEADS.
I would like to say something about the folks not wearing helmets perhaps wearing latex on their other heads to preserve the gene pool...however might be another thread than the OP meant.
 CoffeeMate69
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/21/2013 7:03:09 PM
As a motorcyclist I wear my helmut, it's mandatory and practicle, I have no issue wearing one.

I have a issue with a Equality situation, it being if i'm of a certain religion and wore a head scarf I wouldn't need to wear a helmut...Law says wear a helmut for safety....I do not see a few wraps of cloth providing much protection.

Where is the govt. mandated green DOT triangle located?

Just saying.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/21/2013 11:10:25 PM
I wear one because I have to. Prior to the helmet laws coming in I had never hurt myself while riding and I have spent many hours pedalling a bike. I figure if I feel more protected I will push the envelope a little more and be more likely to crash. Not much different I suppose comparing injury rates in two similar sports Football and Rugby. The sport with more protective equipment has a higher rate on injury and there are more concussions in football than there are in rugby. Hockey injuries have also gone up as the players have worn more protective equipment - if you look at old footage it looks like the goalies used to wear less padding that the defencemen do now.
 the_Kevlar
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/28/2015 12:32:41 PM
I had a bad bail just over 15 years ago, where I spent two months in a coma, and came to with the entire left side of my body paralyzed from the brain injury. My Helmet saved my life! I wear a Helmet whenever I go out for a bike ride!!!
 CharminC
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/28/2015 12:35:54 PM
Kev!!!!!

So nice to see a familiar face in the bc forums!!!!
Which btw is as dead as roadkill on the coq. hwy :/
 Ed Bear
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2016 8:08:15 AM
I haven't been to this thread in a long time, but I have since learned why so many bicyclists have a helmet hanging on their handlebars: the bicycle activists tell them that if they're stopped, the cop will just let them go after they put it on.

Smarten up, cops!
ED BEAR
 Dallasroadie
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/15/2016 8:23:21 PM
It's amazing that us 35 + years old people survived our childhoods without helmets and seat belts. We should sue our parents. I remember running with scissors once too.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2016 2:36:04 AM
I am older than 35 - almost twice as old - and I know people who died smoking in bed, driving drunk, crossing the street randomly, not following safety instructions on machinery, running stop signs and stop lights, messing with booze and other addictions, and not cleaning out their body orifices. The older one gets, the more proof of those dangers (and the fewer survivors) one sees.

Invulnerability is for the young.
ED BEAR
 DulcineaD
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2017 3:18:16 PM
I remember that ad. I used to teach swimming lessons at lakefronts and saw this all the time - parents in boats without lifejackets. Or with lifejackets that no longer floated. Not much good to your kids are you, if you can't keep your head above water? However, that being said, being a widow of someone who succumbed to drowning/hypothermia even while a lifejacket, one can't be too judgemental in our opinions of others. Same with the cycling - yes think people are crazy to cycle without one, but a helmet won't protect a rider from everything. Be kind.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >