Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Are women with crappy cars a turn off?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 76
Are women with crappy cars a turn off?Page 4 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Only if they expect me to buy them a new one.(wink)

Otherwise, I really don't care much what anyone drives as long it get them/us where we are going.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Are women with crappy cars a turn off?
Posted: 9/28/2012 11:45:34 PM
Young miss,

My son drives his mom's old van. It's nearly as old as him. He's your age.
I won't scare you with what I drove at your age.
At 18 you should not be driving anything fancy, expensive, or, in my opinion, too new. You should have something reliable, solid, comfortable to drive, and you should appreciate what you have and demonstrate that in the way you take care of it and in your pride of ownership.
Good grief, you're just starting out. Drive an old beater, save some bucks, dream of the nice ride you'll have when you're ancient like me. Or not: I drive a twelve year old truck (that looks nearly new because I take care of it.) Paid cash, do the maintenance, wish it got better mileage.

Some fool boy who disparages your ride is going to make remarks about something - if not your car, then your hair, your clothes, your job. Is that what you want?
Date a man!

TK
 WiseBurro
Msg: 78
Posted: 9/29/2012 10:42:37 PM
Actually, I will only pursue women who drive beaters.
It tells me all I need to know about where their heart is, their character.
 niceguyga2011
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/19/2012 7:56:26 PM
Met a woman that drove a Ford Crown Victoria? A Crown Victoria? Never had a chance.
 AdriaticMind
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2012 11:16:10 PM
It's pointless to consider what anyone else thinks of what you drive. As with your clothing, if it is kept clean, and in good repair, no one else's opinion should matter to you. I drive an old car on purpose, because it is extremely reliable, cheap to maintain, and I think brand new cars, and the payments that usually come with them, are a big waste of money. Don't worry about other people's opinions, and just live your life! :)
 niceguyga2011
Msg: 81
Posted: 10/20/2012 9:01:04 PM
Old car? New car? For me it all about balance in your life. I have an expensive car and a cheap car. New woman will never see or her me mention the expensive until after quite a few dates. Typically when we go for a ride up in the mountains, and I pick her up in it. After they have developed an interest in ME, not car. I've heard far to many times "I didnt know you drive a P****, why did you never mention it". Typically from the look in her eyes, or tone/inflection in her voice, that's why. Besides its just a car, nothing more, nothing less.
 Lilbitofsugaandspice
Msg: 82
Posted: 10/20/2012 9:14:01 PM
[Old car? New car? For me it all about balance in your life. I have an expensive car and a cheap car. New woman will never see or her me mention the expensive until after quite a few dates. Typically when we go for a ride up in the mountains, and I pick her up in it. After they have developed an interest in ME, not car. I've heard far to many times "I didnt know you drive a P****, why did you never mention it". Typically from the look in her eyes, or tone/inflection in her voice, that's why. Besides its just a car, nothing more, nothing less.]

That is just pure paranoia on your part. Ridiculous. I had a date with a guy with a new Mercedes, and I did not go for the second because I did not feel attracted, but the cutie in the 2000 Toyota I was seeing for a year because hmm I liked him no matter what he drove. You men are so paranoid these days.
 niceguyga2011
Msg: 83
Posted: 10/21/2012 5:07:14 AM
Not paranoia at all. There have been any nbr of instances when first dating a woman, driving the daily ride, nice car but nothing overly impressive, however when I show up in the expensive car, her atitude or perception of me changes quite a bit. It's happened enough times to avoid driving the expensive car for awhile.

Plus I know plenty of woman who want to meet upscale guys, where do they go? Seems whenever the luxury dealers around her have events, for example, Porsche or Ferrari, you will see a LOT more single woman then at events fr lets say a Toyota or Ford dealership. For many a good way to judge a man's finances is by the car he drives. Not that there's anything wrong with that, we all want to meet successfull people, whether male or female, it's just when the atitude towards changes on the basis when an expensive item is introduced into the mix and only on that. That you are still the same guy, but now you drive Benz instead of the KIA.
 gohip2000
Msg: 84
Posted: 10/21/2012 10:43:16 AM
No, I see it as money and objects are not the most important thing to them, but like others have said, If the car is nasty inside and filled with garbage up to the seats, then yes, that's a turn off. It's not the car that shows a person is a slob, it's how they take care of it.
 DevilfromToronto
Msg: 85
Posted: 10/21/2012 11:22:35 AM
I am still on the site, single... despite of my much younger car, without rust... :-(
 Blueberryeggos
Msg: 86
Posted: 10/21/2012 11:58:25 AM
I think someone driving a luxury car that they clearly cant afford would be more of a turnoff. Ive been on a date with someone who was trying to live past her income level......wasnt alot of fun to listen to.
 armyvet30
Msg: 87
Posted: 10/21/2012 2:06:51 PM
Not really, if I truely had feelings for them and them for me, I'd be looking at it like it was project to fix and keep running for her. Not being her hero, just a desire that I have to ensure the woman I care for has a vehicle that is safe and reliable until she wants/afford a newer one.
 sign4me17
Msg: 88
Posted: 10/21/2012 2:15:55 PM
Most men wouldn't care. Women, on the other hand.....

If a man pulled up in a 1990 Corolla, would that turn you off?
 gtomustang
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/21/2012 7:06:29 PM
shoot, I'd be trying to buy it from you to JDM the darn thing.

I love cars, but I'd let it slide if she had a great personality.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 90
Posted: 10/21/2012 7:43:50 PM
OP I could care less what kind of car you drive as long as it works and you take care of it. But it's not going to be a deal breaker over that. I care how a person treats me, that's what matters.
 BAMF95062
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/22/2012 6:31:19 PM
I ALWAYS drive up in my old worktruck for the first date.

The second date, I whip out the sports car....I figure I can test them from the beginning....why not?
See if they'll stick it out!!!

So no, I wouldn't judge you at all.
 Paderic
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/22/2012 6:57:57 PM
I own a crappy car (well, it's actually a truck). I also own a nice car and an old convertible (1966). And a nice motorcycle.

But to answer the question- no, women with crappy cars aren't a turn off.
 Papinoir
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2012 8:24:25 PM
OP,
As most have replied, you're 18 and you HAVE a car (which I assume has been paid off for quite a while), so as long as it's clean and it runs, you're doing fine.

You are an attractive young lady, seem to have a cool vibe, ambition, culture, in to good music (as far as what I like), and 5'11"!

If I were quite younger and lived across the country, I would be more than happy to come pick you up in my car to go out and ride in the Corolla. If someone, feels different, then they're shallow and probably financially foolish with a lease on a car they can't afford in order to front like they're doing better than they really are.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2012 7:39:47 AM
My girlfriend said one of the things she liked right away about me was that I drove a Honda Civic and didn't own a fancy car, truck or motorcycle...but she also knew I had the sense to own a couple of properties. There are exceptions but most women want guys who have their priorities right in life and are financially responsible.

My girlfriend is a professional could drive any car she wants but is happy with the Tercel she has had for nearly 2 decades. I really have no interest in what she drives other than it is safe and reliable for her.

Re young people and cars. It's pleasantly surprising how many people under 25 do not have a driver's license,. Driving is not the right of passage it once was.
 niceguyga2011
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/23/2012 12:49:38 PM
I don't want the woman to drive a hot car. I drive the hot car.
 sollty
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/23/2012 12:53:28 PM
If Natalie Portman showed up in a crappy car to see me the car would be the last thing on my mind !
 niceguyga2011
Msg: 97
Posted: 10/24/2012 8:15:54 PM
There's a woman at my church that drives a new 2013 Porsche Carrera S. Woman and Boxsters, pretty common, but a woman and 911 pretty rare. Anyways I went up to her, struck up a conversation about her ride, I drive a Porsche too so common ground. I thought maybe it was the husbands. Well I'll be dammed, she was a car nut too, she appreciated the car the same way I do, in how she talked about it, why she decided to buy one, how it handles, accelerates, stops etc.
Plus in case anyone was wondering, she's pretty hot too.
 blk2thenite
Msg: 98
Posted: 10/27/2012 5:19:16 PM
In my opinion it is. But, if you have an attribute that counteracts your car situation guys tend to overlook that! If you have an ugly car, no education, renting in a bad area, and work at walmart we definitely categorize you as dateable but not to take too seriously. If both of you are in the same situation then its null.

I have a 2005, so I know where youre coming from. Ive had some beautiful women in my hooptie and they were happy, lol
 larissan04
Msg: 99
Posted: 10/28/2012 8:32:00 PM
I do think some men judge women and men by the car they drive. I think they peg a person as being of low social economic status. Personally, I think it's a mark of character that a person owns their car rather then having a huge car payment. I hate car payments, and I only buy a new car when I absolutely must do so. I tend to drive my cars for as long as I can before buying a new one, and I'll be damned if I am going to put a lot of money into a car. Cars are NOT an investment. You lose money the minute you drive off of the lot.
 larissan04
Msg: 100
Posted: 10/28/2012 8:34:29 PM
blk2thenite

"In my opinion it is. But, if you have an attribute that counteracts your car situation guys tend to overlook that! If you have an ugly car, no education, renting in a bad area, and work at walmart we definitely categorize you as dateable but not to take too seriously. If both of you are in the same situation then its null."

So, a woman that is working at walmart, driving a crappy car, little education is dateable but "not someone to take seriously?" Well, that sounds rather elitist, and while I do recognize that some men and women think like this, it's seems rather judgmental. Too me, if a man thinks like this then he is nothing more than a rake.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Are women with crappy cars a turn off?