Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Are women with crappy cars a turn off?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DempseySR32
Msg: 101
Are women with crappy cars a turn off?Page 5 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
OP no we don't care what kinda care you drive.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Are women with crappy cars a turn off?
Posted: 10/29/2012 2:12:51 PM
OP no we don't care what kinda care you drive

So true. But it's not just about cars. Some women get it and others never will. I'd pick a woman on a skateboard over one in a Cadillac if she was prettier. A waitress over a doctor if she was sweeter. Possessions and profession just don't add any value to a woman's desirability. We're primitive beasts and the attraction switch goes on and off. This can be called either being shallow, or the reverse...we are the opposite of shallow because we don't care about the trappings.
 niceguyga2011
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/6/2012 5:05:12 PM
I'll only buy a car if interest free financing is available, use the dealers money not mine. Otherwise I pay cash, besides you can work a better deal that way. Or depending on my frequent flyer miles, put it on American Express, get the free miles, always funny to see the look on the salesman face when you ask them if the accept credit cards. Even funnier if you credit card gets accepted, esp for the cars I buy.
When someone asks me whats the best ecomony car car, I tell them one that is paid for.
 Love.Notes
Msg: 104
Posted: 12/6/2012 5:15:43 PM
I think men are more concerned as to how tidy you keep your car. My sister's car is always cluttered with papers, drives me nuts when you have to wait for her to move things over just to get into her car. I'm sure it would be the same thing for a man. He should be more interested in you not what you drive. This car will not be the only car you drive all of your life. You will eventually upgrade and someday have a nicer car. You're still young, and right now your car is your A to B point not a male radar. Just enjoy your date and forget the car and the car looks. He really isn't paying that much attention to your vehicle as his eyes will be set on you!
 JJTall
Msg: 105
Posted: 12/6/2012 5:49:59 PM

Your date, ideally, should be taking care of you, while you're out with him. If he judges you based on what you drive, then he is not worth YOUR time and effort. After all, he invited you out; the onus is on him to treat you with the utmost respect.

Too bad more women can't seem to grasp this concept with a man. Do you know how many shallow/materialistic women there are out there? These women should be thankful men even have a car.
 virginiahiker
Msg: 106
Posted: 12/6/2012 8:12:13 PM
I am a lovely woman who drives a clunker as this is all I can afford; men do however judge you when you drive into their lovely driveway's and million dollar homes; you can see it on their faces when you arrive; I really dislike this but at some point; you have to realize that if the clunker is all they see; then its time to move on.
 sweetginger30
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2012 7:52:31 PM
I went out with a guy that kind of laughed when he walked me to my car after our date and saw that it was a 1994 little wagon, which was actually in really good condition since it had been well maintained. Needless to say, we didn't have another date. I have since upgraded to a newer 2003 car, and feel blessed to have even that.

I honestly would not care WHAT a guy I was dating drove as long as it was reliable and got him where he needed to go.

Cheer up, if the guy is worth it, he won't care what you drive.
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2012 8:29:43 PM
My '98 Toyota Corolla has fake bullet hole stickers from the Dollar Store. Some have faded and look like bird crap. I can grow crops on my dash and my car has hauled lumber, cement and whatever I need to haul. If I had a date I'd clean up the inside and not worry about impressions.
 jsyl87
Msg: 109
Posted: 12/7/2012 9:46:19 PM
I'll enjoy my cars, but could care less what the person I am seeing is driving. I'm nearly the one driving the majority of the time anyway.
 wo12345
Msg: 110
Posted: 12/7/2012 11:38:26 PM
Your 19 years old, some 19 years old don't even have a car yet :). Basically I woudn't worry about it.
 niceguyga2011
Msg: 111
Posted: 12/8/2012 9:37:25 AM
If you drive a Ferrari, the only color to have is red.
My standing rules on not buying a used car with the following: no bullet holes or trailer hitch on it.
 TalkingPie
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2012 10:56:54 AM
I appreciate a woman who's pragmatic. Whenever I see someone - man or woman - who has a car that's near or beyond their means, and they're not car enthusiasts, that says something to me about their priorities. I'll never understand the logic of working a job just to spend a big chunk of your salary on an expensive car that you'll primarily use to drive in traffic to get to the job to pay for said car. Is projecting an image that important? Because I find it hard to believe that people go through all that trouble just for the heated seats, especially given how much performance and amenities are in modern entry-level cars.

On the other hand, if someone is an enthusiast and chooses an interesting car that's within their means, that's appealing to me. Personally, I hate traffic and love cars and bikes, so I live somewhere where I can bus or walk wherever I need to go, and I have a toy that I can easily afford. Most people think I'm a little silly for choosing not to have a daily driver - I could swing the payments on a new car or certainly buy an old beater if I wanted to - but public transit easily gets me where I want to go, is much cheaper, saves me from the frustration of inching along in traffic, and allows me to have a summer fun/track car while socking away cash for a down payment on a house. It's 15 years old, worth less than $10k and has little to no street cred among most men and women, but I enjoy working on it, it's near the bottom of its depreciation curve with cheap and plentiful parts, and every time I drive it I get a smile on my face.

One of the men I most respect is a family friend in his 60s, who after immigrating to Canada with nothing, built up an electronics company and made his fortune. He has a lovely waterfront house - which he largely helped build and still mostly maintains himself - property, and once used gold bars as impromptu weights at a party he was hosting when the helium balloons were threatening to float away. He's owned a Lotus and currently a new Porsche Cayenne S and BMW 3er. And yet he still frequently drives his rusting '96 Chrysler minivan into town.

As much as I appreciate a great machine, I think that owning a new Porsche or Ferrari would frustrate me more than make me happy, even if I could afford it. I've owned some very quick bikes and find that slower vehicles start being fun to drive at lower speeds, and I can therefore enjoy them more of the time without risking life and lisence.
 niceguyga2011
Msg: 113
Posted: 1/14/2013 4:59:17 PM
Actually my daily ride and initial date ride is a 2004 PT Cruiser, its been versatile, dependable, jack-of-all trades car, its been easy to work on - i like to dabble in car repair. Plus when I take my dogs to the river for a swim, I don't feel so bad if they are shaking off the water and/or mud on the inside. Not like a leather interior, a $3K option or whatever like for a Lexus/M-B/Porsche SUV. But I did try a Porsche SUV, turbo version, pretty impressive but doesnt seem very pratical for suv kinda stuff. But then again I've seen a guy at Home-Depot loading concrete blocks into his Rolls. And my brother still can't believe I gas up the Ferrari & Bentley at QuickTrip as opposed to some major chain station, like BP or Shell. I told him can't wait, there's a RaceTrack being built nearby, its got to have great gas, since its called RaceTrack right? Hopefully the hotdogs will be as good as QuickTrip.
 sun_and_cinnamon
Msg: 114
Posted: 1/14/2013 5:08:31 PM
My last piece of junk car was over a year ago. I had a '98 Jeep totally falling apart. You kinda gotta not give a rats a**what anyone thinks about what you drive....especially a man! Be glad you got something to go from point A to point B. Tho I did take that Jeep out on a desert adventure that didn't end too well...geez thank god for solar powered chargers!
 barnabyjames1
Msg: 115
Posted: 1/14/2013 7:45:14 PM
LOL< no...just like men with crappy cars shouldnt be a turnoff. That's being shallow & who wants that in a mate?
 Fatuglybaldcreeper84
Msg: 116
Posted: 1/14/2013 8:08:13 PM
Lol I could care less what car a girl drives.
 domainfullduplex100
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2013 8:44:19 PM
at 18 i expect you to drive a beatup 91 corolla. Smart for choosing a toyota however.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 118
Posted: 1/14/2013 9:11:23 PM
like it or not, It should be done or not, Right or not. We do get judged by what you drive most of the time by most people. Guys get judged alot more then women do.. Few guys would get dates pulling an old and beat up car.
But then I do live in LA area and its mostly about preception and comming across as succesfull... Even if most of the time its all a game and they eat the rest of the week top raman lol..
 Wreckless212
Msg: 119
Posted: 1/14/2013 10:00:10 PM
Its more about how its taken care of. If I for some reason have to get into your car and it smells like rotting food or cigarettes, has cat hair all over it and sticky seats, the I might have some judgmental thoughts going through my mind.

The actual car though doesn't really matter, with the exception of Smart cars and Volkswagen beetles.
 niceguyga2011
Msg: 120
Posted: 1/15/2013 11:31:20 AM
For some it does matter. Here's a true from years ago, but have experienced variations ever since. Back in the late 80's I was driving a Porsche 911. I had met a woman, she seemed kinda interested, hard to get the vibe. Wasnt sure if she wanted to go out with me or just go out in general (with whoever). Anyways the first couple of times we went out, due to my car being in the shop, I drove my parent's Plymouth Horizon. Well the 911 finally was out of the shop, I went to pick her up, as we were walking out to my car it was the 911. Here eyes just lite right up. In the brief instance here entire perception of me changed (as mine did of her), wanted to know whose car is it, she couldnt believe it was mine, acted kinda angry that I hadn't told here I drive a Porsche initially blah-blah-blah. Actually placed her hand on mine as mine rested on the gear shift. That date she was much more touchy-feely, getting closer to me etc. From my viewpoint, her entire personality changed, acted more like we were boyfriend/girlfriend etc, previously never got that vibe. Plus she mentioned, you should meet my friends etc, never said that before. I'm thinking what's different now? I havent gotten any better looking, hadnt developed more muscles, was wearing same style of clothes etc etc. Whai a minute could it be the car? Suffice to say we went out 1-2 times, I quickly lost interest in her.
It's not my personality type to mention to a woman what kind ride I have, if she ask's, I find it rather superficial esp on the first date. I know lots of guys that do, a lot esp the Ferrari guys love to wear some type of clothing with Ferrari on it. Actually my Ferrari salesman tells me the 'boutique' part of the dealership is where they make a tremendous amount of money.
But then again its also awkward when the first find out, like if you are walking out to they parking lot, or she sees you drive up in one etc.
 sun_and_cinnamon
Msg: 121
Posted: 1/15/2013 12:04:30 PM
niceguyga2011....sounds like you dodged a bullet! I have known women like that, pretty disturbing.

A lot of men I have dated have driven rickety racks and means nothing in terms of income or financial status....just have something to get around
 _WinterGoddess_
Msg: 122
Posted: 1/15/2013 12:09:00 PM
I don't think that it's fair to judge someone's level of success, financial status or their worth based on their vehicle. Reason being is that I've known people who were very wealthy that drove old run down vehicles and people in debt up to their eyeballs driving brand new flashy cars. It can also depend on where you prefer to put your money and if a fancy car is of top priority for you.
 AvailableinIndy
Msg: 123
Posted: 1/15/2013 2:08:52 PM
I have the best car anyone could have....PAID FOR!

If you are going to judge me by my '07 G6, there is not a thing I can do for you.
 niceguyga2011
Msg: 124
Posted: 1/15/2013 9:06:44 PM
Yup, I consider my cars economy cars. All paid for. The cheapest car is the one paid off.
 niceguyga2011
Msg: 125
Posted: 1/15/2013 9:13:31 PM

I don't think that it's fair to judge someone's level of success, financial status or their worth based on their vehicle.

It's all a matter of balance and taste, what your vices are, and what you can afford. My automobiles, at least to me, are not financial status items, but just a gorgeous piece of engineering and craftmanship carried to the extreme. But most feel/think otherwise. The best line I ever heard was when a woman was in my Porsche Turbo, she had her hand holding mine on the gearshift and remarked, "I love how it throbs", go figure that one.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Are women with crappy cars a turn off?