Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What you've learned about online dating after 90 days...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 getyourhurdid
Msg: 51
What you've learned about online dating after 90 days...Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
1. I have a grammar pet peeve.
2. Conversations will be sporadic and annoying.
3. Everyone has ADHD, and you can loss someone interest in a heartbeat.
4. If you get a number in the first 30 minutes, someone wants to “hang out”, or is frisky.
5. Average looking woman are more aggressive vs. the attractive ones.
6. Strong and independent means potential cat collector.
7. Males can be horny perverts and screw it up for the rest of us.
8. I think that was a member of the same sex who was talking to me?
9. No drama means drama.
10. Pucker face is in style, along with angled shots.
 getyourhurdid
Msg: 52
What you've learned about online dating after 90 days...
Posted: 8/26/2012 2:08:17 AM
also, most of the fish are carp…..
 vestaceres
Msg: 53
Posted: 8/26/2012 3:02:38 AM

I can give you some perspective on this site from what I've learned (this was my first time also).
1. If you get a pic that shows more than one person, just pick out the one not attractive to you... that's the one messaging you.
2.Something about turning 50 makes peoples sense of perception warped.... the new average now means 40-50 lbs overweight 75 % of the time.
3. If they start off saying that their looking for a good hearted man (woman) chances are they live in the country.
4. Nothing like getting a picture of a cat (dog) when they say they liked your profile.
5. The mysterious types who won't post a pic, but want your phone number so they can send you one. (yeah right... let me send that to you).
6. The non responder.... messages you and you reply and they never respond back. wth?

...blah, blah, blah. After 90 dates of observing online dating, the same always remains: there's always the man of significantly advanced age whining about how much he's overlooked by a small pool of "elusive goddesses," surrounded by much better looking and younger sharks, waiting to pounce the same lady.

OP, you're almost SIXTY, and you behave as if you haven't left left primary school. Geeze.
 _FishingForAMermaid_
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/26/2013 9:51:43 AM
What I've learned is that a thread like this one should be kept active and be a first read for all new forumites.

As one contributor stated in her profile: I am not looking for anyone anymore on here this; place is not for me. Too many surprises that are often bad. I am sticking to real life I have much better luck there. Good luck everyone I hope you find what you are looking for.

The most important thing I have learned about online dating is that it is a good thing for all of us that it is still free on this site! I feel for those who have wasted their money on the pay sites. (Does that mean we are simply frugal in nature, or that we are cheap? Or are we smart as opposed to dumb? Care-free as opposed to desperate? So many questions; so few answers.)
 SimpleCltMan
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/26/2013 10:21:06 AM
What I have learned...

1. If you don't have a thick skin, get off a dating site. You are going to get hurt.
2. If you put up a fake image of yourself (pictures & words), please don't get mad when someone gets to know you, finds out, and walks away.
3. If you are looking for that perfect person and won't accept what you deem is less, expect to be lonely. You can't ask for perfection when you yourself are not perfection
4. Don't email people that contradict themselves in the profile and you won't be disappointed. If someone says they are a born again Christian and they are in pictures partying, drinking, in a thong, you may want to question that.
5. Women will get more email than men. More men are asking women out than the other way around. So on both sides, show a little civility. If someone is not to your liking, then let them know. Women copy this, " Thank you for your interest, but I am not interested. Good luck in your search" You can cut and paste that over and over again. Trust me, a mature man should accept that and wish you well too.
6. JUST BEING YOU may not get you tons of email, but at least you are showing your true self and I would rather be alone and be me, than sell out to be with someone.
7. A friend made here that is honest is better than a gf/bf that you find to be fake later on.
8. Forums will let you know how bitter and mean some of us are about dating. WOW. Why so serious?
9. If all you do is be bitter? How do you expect to date anyone? LET IT GO!
10. Smile and be happy that people take a second to chat, talk, email, or even contact you. It is the little things that make people happy. Happy people draw happy people to them. So be happy that you can meet people and enjoy the ride.
 Blueberryeggos
Msg: 56
Posted: 3/26/2013 3:16:03 PM
Also that I have NO idea what an average body type is anymore
 candyapplered123
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/26/2013 6:23:19 PM
1. To take things with a grain of salt
2. It does not matter if you upgrade still the same results
3. Not every guy on here is an ***hole
4. That all dating sites are the same
5. That even though I'm single there are worse things in life
 StageCat1
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/26/2013 9:40:11 PM
I learned right away that saying "no, thank you" opened the floodgates of vitriol, so it was best to not respond at all and hope they forgot they messaged me in the first place. LATELY, however, some really awesome guys have decided to rip me apart for not responding. I mean crazy, nasty rants. So, one of the biggest things I've learned? You have to develop a really, really thick skin to be on these sites. I don't think my skin will ever be thick enough.

That being said, let me issue a plea here. Everyone, we all get frustrated here sometimes. We get angry and hurt. But, attacking someone you've never even met is just...crazy. It just makes you look bad and bitter, and it does no good for anyone. The people who attack me have no idea who I am. They're angry because I'm not giving them something they want. Hell, everyone doesn't always give me what I want, either. But isn't it more productive to put your efforts into moving forward and looking at all the other thousands of people out there who might be great matches for you?

I'm just sayin'...
 yerkiddinrite
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/27/2013 6:57:51 AM
I've learned that.

1. A guy thinks a big stinky freshly caught fish is a chick magnet.
2. A lot of guys think women are turned on by pictures of motorcycles, boats and cars.
3. Usually a man's perception of 5'10" is a BIT under the mark, like maybe 5'5" or so.
4. As someone else said above, "cuddling" is the code word for sex. No man REALLY wants to cuddle on the couch all day long.
5. My skin will never be thick enough either. Some of the things that men have said to me really cut deep.

Well, that's not 10, but those are my observations.

I have tried online dating on a couple of different sites for 6 months now, I ended up with a couple of friends, a couple of enemies and a few that just had no potential for relationship at all. It wasn't a horrible experience, it wasn't a good experience.

I found these crazy forums and am quickly becoming addicted to checking them out every day.

So..........it wasn't all bad.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2013 7:28:16 AM
Met my girlfriend within a week of signing up on a dating site.

Not rocket science to meet a great person (hundreds of potential mates).

I learned it's not about 'them,' but how we present ourselves.
 charliesmom21
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/27/2013 7:29:04 AM
I love this.. let me add a few
1. I learned a couple men on forums will have your picture deleted if they can't find anything intelligent to say.
2. Some men are seeking someone to take care of them
3. There are too many "bitter buddies" ready to tell you how women only use men
4. Some Men justify flaking and disappearing after meeting women because the scary women will stalk and harass them
5. some men think sending sexual remarks will get them a date
6. Blurry or out of focus picture are usually liars and cheats
7. Nice looking educated males are extremely rare on this site
8. Some men feel if they haven't slept with you by date 3.. you are a prude
9. lying about height and weight is okay for the males
10. Some men feel women should buy them dinner
11. The meet me feature is a reflection of superficiality, not true interest
12. All features like ultra match are worthless
13. Some women do not find hunting fishing camping and shooting pool interesting
14. Forums can be fun, if you avoid the trolls. they are an insight into the bizarre thought patterns of some.
 traveltrekker
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/14/2013 3:39:38 PM

Few people can live up to the glowing descriptions of themselves in their profiles.
Most people are not good at making snap judgments.
Most people are long on talk and short on action.
Most people are inside the box thinkers.
Most people make far too many false assumptions.
Most people jump to way too many incorrect conclusions.
Many people have inadequate reading comprehension skills.
Many people are not as open-minded as they think they are, or claim to be.
Many people continue to make the same dating mistakes over and over again.
Many people still obsess about pictures way too much.
 Tom_MorganWV
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/14/2013 6:49:44 PM
This site can work.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 64
Posted: 12/14/2013 8:38:43 PM
Men are incredible liars.
 TOaks91360
Msg: 65
Posted: 12/14/2013 9:28:13 PM
A lot of financially strapped individuals that will ride your scratching post if you buy them a glass of wine.

A lot of single parents with awesome kids

A lot of automobile problems
 sigungq
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2013 9:53:17 PM
OP, that's some list. Come back after being on dating sites for 12 years like I have.

As for what I have learned, I believe most men and women on dating sites like this, treat it more like a video game or candy store, depending upon their personal approach. Most are ridiculously picky, fussy, and unrealistic in their demands for the perfect match. The OP appears to be no exception to this.

There is some good news for those folks though. As I understand it, the Japanese have invented "love robots". While this phenomenon is in its technical infancy, it promises to be quite the up and coming fad, probably in the next decade or two. Supposedly, one will be able to order all of the features they want in a mate, and the robot will be made to order.
 Tom_MorganWV
Msg: 67
Posted: 12/14/2013 11:11:52 PM
Women have terrible math skills, especially when it comes to getting their age right.
 Crystal_Planet
Msg: 68
Posted: 12/15/2013 8:18:15 AM
I've learned that what is stated on the forums is definitely NOT a fair depiction of what the dating world is actually like. Thank the Lord. I have never met, had correspondence with, or messaged anyone who was bitter, angry, gold digging, playing games or anything else that some would believe is so prevalent on POF.

VV Bang on Lexti.
 Lexti
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/15/2013 8:21:26 AM
Haha...interesting thread indeed. Things I have learned, but it's taken more than 90 days.

1. 85% of men on these sites have no clue what women are looking for.
2. 85% of women on these sites have no clue what men are looking for.
3. 85% of PEOPLE on these sites have no clue what they themselves are looking for.
4. After time, online dating becomes an addictive measure of finding "the next best thing" and people lose themselves and their original goal of signing up, which was to find an actual relationship.
5. All those disgruntled, bitter men who complain that women are rude, shallow and self absorbed for not answering their messages should be allowed for ONE week to make a fake profile of a semi-attractive woman, and see if they should still feel inclined to respond to EVERY message.
6. Online dating only works if both sides are being honest, genuine, and realistic about who they are and what they both seek in companionship.
 John255317
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/15/2013 9:34:05 AM
I have posted before and still believe that so many times, so many women have signed up to actually wanting a relationship but quickly become addicted to the attention and lose track of what they came on here for. Yes, there also is the wrong attention some women get and there are lots of losers in here. The same I am sure can be said of some men.
 SngleNarlington
Msg: 71
Posted: 12/15/2013 10:35:38 AM

I have posted before and still believe that so many times, so many women have signed up to actually wanting a relationship but quickly become addicted to the attention and lose track of what they came on here for

Couldn't agree more with you John.

Its amazing how many of the same women I see on here year after year. My last relationship lasted a couple of years and I see some of the same women now that I saw before my relationship.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 72
Posted: 12/15/2013 11:01:25 AM
^^^^^But remember, when you see a woman on this site from long ago, that means you are here too. :) And, it could possibly be, the same women you saw before "your couple of years relationship" were in similar situations as you but the duration was shorter. I have no doubt there are men and women who claim they want a relationship but continue to window shop and live in some sort of make believe online dating wonderland. But, you what, that's their prerogative as it is up to us to weed through that stuff and ultimately find someone compatible for us to get off this site, for good.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 73
Posted: 12/15/2013 12:14:17 PM

Men are incredible liars.

Women are credible liars - comes from lots of practice.
 John255317
Msg: 74
Posted: 12/15/2013 4:28:07 PM
driving, I don't disagree with the part where some may also have been in a relationship at same time and are back on here. That would be me so I agree. But my opinion is there are way too many people on here that lost sight of what they were after because they found lots of attention and what was legit in what they wanted, they became addicted to the attention. That is why I never get bummed on here, it is online cyber dating and while it is good to have, we all have to realize just because we have nice pics and great profiles, it really isn't what it is most the time. I have had a couple of relationships from online dating so I know it works. And yes, we have to weed out the fakes, the addictive women etc.
 SngleNarlington
Msg: 75
Posted: 12/15/2013 7:13:34 PM

But remember, when you see a woman on this site from long ago, that means you are here too. :)

I think I just got Hit......but you do make valid points as usual. Part of my reply was to agree with John’s observation and the 2nd part was a response to the thread subject: What you've learned about online dating after 90 days. So after 90 days I see some of the same people and years down the road I see some of the same people which is a group that I'm part of as you pointed out ;)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What you've learned about online dating after 90 days...