Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DameWrite
Msg: 64
view profile
History
IS THE WORD FIT SCARING THE BEEJEEBERS OUT OF ANYONE ELSE?????Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Fit people like to challenge their bodies. If you like to do the same, on a regular basis, then chances are you're fit too. If not, you're not.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 68
IS THE WORD FIT SCARING THE BEEJEEBERS OUT OF ANYONE ELSE?????
Posted: 8/26/2012 5:48:35 PM
I see my self as fit at my ripe old age of 55,, but the key is, that is how I feel,, there are no extra pounds,, although I could use some,,I think many people get used to their bodies,, and may not see what others see, but again,,who cares,, I don't,,,
 Amwayman13642
Msg: 69
Posted: 8/26/2012 5:57:00 PM
Abby, I would simply say if you were mentally fit, I would date you what a loser
T
 meowkatt2012
Msg: 74
Posted: 8/26/2012 8:12:20 PM
I think that's their way of saying they want someone. But just because someone is thin doesn't mean they are fit or even healthy. I notice on this site particularly men in their 50' s want arm candy. I guess to show to strangers they still.have it. Haha. So I date younger guys. They seem to be looking for a person. Not looking for a look. Yes im a little chubby. I know that. Thank you.
 4ms4me
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2012 8:44:02 PM

Remember the rule of thumb that every extra pound that you haul around, removes about one full YEAR of your possible lifespan

Now there's a rule of thumb that doesn't make any sense - if it did, people wouldn't get to be more than 50 lbs overweight, cause they'd already be dead. However, many people manage to carry around astounding amounts of weight for a very long time. Now, I'm not disagreeing with the fact that extra weight can shorten one's lifespan, but this "1 lb = 1 year" seems a bit over the top.

OP, I get you. Considering that more than 50% of the US population is overweight to some degree, it seems more than passing strange that so many single people on dating sights are 'fit' and expect 'fit' in return. I think fit has just become something of a buzzword, like "walking on the beach" or "make me laugh". It's too generic to really mean anything, and ultimately just words to fill a white space.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 80
Posted: 8/26/2012 9:01:19 PM

I don't have to assume. Your words were very clear. ;-)

I live in OC...the land of anorexic, tanorexic, bad bleach blondes, and stupid...but "thin" women. They go to the gym in full make up but can't make it through one spin class. So what does that say? I have a bangin curvy shape, but not thin

Now there's a rule of thumb that doesn't make any sense - if it did, people wouldn't get to be more than 50 lbs overweight, cause they'd already be dead. However, many people manage to carry around astounding amounts of weight for a very long time.

Sure, they can carry 100+ extra lbs around when they are 25 or 30, but how many of that size have you seen among your 106 yr old peers? (jk)
Absolutely none because they died earlier than their POSSIBLE LIFESPAN could have been. With proper low-cal high nutrition diet most every normal human being is CAPABLE of living much longer than most currently do, mainly due to rampant obesity due to tremendous refined sugar intake and little to NO exercise, causing degenerative diseases to overwhelm the body.
Think about all that "natural" added corn syrup next time you guzzle that coke and scarf down that half bag of chips...
 rdcnorm
Msg: 84
Posted: 8/27/2012 5:41:31 AM
I wanted to say, we are hard on ourselves, cuz you men have made us feel that unless we look like we did in our prime all of our lives...we are subpar!

Interesting thought,, I am a guy,, I don't even know you,,yet I have the power to make you feel a certain way,,Let me suggest this,, you have the power over your own feeling,,so please stop blaming men you have never met,,,

I notice on this site particularly men in their 50' s want arm candy. I guess to show to strangers they still.have it. Haha. So I date younger guys. They seem to be looking for a person. Not looking for a look. Yes im a little chubby. I know that. Thank you.

Really,,, now that is a very impressive statement,,Personally,, I don't think you give men my age enough credit,,I think most of us men look at the person first,,although many including myself do like a fit, in shape woman,, then again there are others who like a few extra pounds,, again who really cares,, it's preference..and we are all entitled to them..
 rdcnorm
Msg: 86
Posted: 8/27/2012 6:04:49 AM

sorry...maybe i said that wrong...rather than 'you men' i should have said 'the men i have met in my life' (and there have been a LOT) that were critical of my body! And you are right, i do let what other people think and say influence how i feel about myself. Including what you said to me...sigh again....

Smiles and says,, no biggie,,...As for those men being that critical,, I'd say they weren't worth your time of day,,and if you think of it that way,, their opinions of you should be forgotten,,as it is very damaging to ones self esteem,,in my opinion..
 4ms4me
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2012 10:15:41 AM

Sure, they can carry 100+ extra lbs around when they are 25 or 30, but how many of that size have you seen among your 106 yr old peers? (jk)

Not too many 106 year olds of any size, really. However, fat people over 60, 70 and 80 are not as uncommon as you might think.

Absolutely none because they died earlier than their POSSIBLE LIFESPAN could have been.

Really? There’s a “possible lifespan” beyond 106 that we can generally reach merely through diet and exercise?

With proper low-cal high nutrition diet most every normal human being is CAPABLE of living much longer than most currently do, mainly due to rampant obesity due to tremendous refined sugar intake and little to NO exercise, causing degenerative diseases to overwhelm the body.

Keep in mind that prior to refined foods and a sedentary lifestyle, people actually didn’t live as long as they currently do. Nonetheless, I agree with you that being overweight or obese seriously impacts people’s health and reduces one’s lifespan; the average lifespan in the US is beginning to decline again, and it is largely due to improper nutrition, obesity and related diseases. I am not arguing the negative effect of being overweight, I am disputing the 1 lb of extra weight = 1 year decrease in lifespan. Now, if you’d said 10 lbs = 1 year, that would make more sense, although I daresay the first 10 lbs are relatively benign, particularly as people age.

Think about all that "natural" added corn syrup next time you guzzle that coke and scarf down that half bag of chips...

My preferred corn syrup delivery system is actually cider, at the moment. And if I’m gonna scarf down a half-bag of chips, I’m gonna go for the whole damn thang! I can’t remember that last time I had chips, and now I’m craving them - complete with corn syrup, fat, salt and all those unpronounceable chemicals. Thanks a lot, TIQ!

....oh my goodness you are hilarious....love your thinking!!!!

Thank you, glad you got a chuckle.

I just want to clarify...and it has nothing to do with'fit'....but i do have that on my profile cuz ex lived fairly close to a beach....a dog beach on Lake Michigan...and i LOVED going, every chance we got! So i include that. Lots of people don't like getting in swimsuits, or sit in the sand...I do.
Also...humor is my number one criteria....I want to laugh until i cry. I had that once. I want it again. I have made many a joke....and the guys look at me like...duh?
So for me it's NOT white space...white space for me would be saying, "i like to go out to eat'...well.....yeah...don't we all?

I haven’t looked at your profile so I don’t know what it says, but if I were putting out a dating profile, I’d be specific about all the generic “walking on the beach” type things. So maybe I’d put something like – “I love to go to the dog beach on Lake Michigan, toss balls into the surf for the dogs and feel the sand between my toes”; for fit I’d be specific about what I do to be fit – “I run marathons for fun 3 or 4 times a year, and have a passion for pole dancing”. Humor is pretty universal and individualistic; I’d want to specify what kind of humor makes me laugh - bathroom humor, slapstick, satire? Shrek, Family Guy or The Simpsons? What’s a romantic dinner - $1000 bucks at the ritziest restaurant in town, or a midnight picnic on the front lawn? So, for me, that’s the difference between filling up white space and actually telling prospective dates/mates something about who you are.
 oskiesmom
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2012 2:02:22 PM
I had one guy ask me, "just how much overweight are you?" It was his second question to me and no explanation as to why he was asking it. It was a tough question...I answered, "let's put it this way...Your beer belly and my extra 25 pounds will make it hard for both of us to ride your Harley..." and then I politely told him I didn't think we were a match.

I wouldn't let it bother or discourage you.
 ladyc4
Msg: 90
Posted: 8/27/2012 2:37:28 PM

Some people take profiles and dating way too seriously.

NO LIE!

Remember the rule of thumb that every extra pound that you haul around, removes about one full YEAR of your possible lifespan

Really-wow! I DIDN't just have a 59th birthday? I'm actually DEAD?
WHO KNEW?

I'm sorry- I saw the topic title and thought we were talking about like "conniption fits"...or " by fits and starts" or "had a fit and fell in it"....

NOT another tired thread about "fat people" who want to date "skinny people"

I was reading another thread and there was a post that mentioned women who "throw themselves at men"...and I thought-wow, they aren't talking about ME! If I was to "throw myself" at a man-he'd need to go to a body shop-NOT the gym. (He might even need the services of the paramedic squad!)

I prefer to think of physical fitness in terms of activities and tasks that can be accomplished, not just working out at the gym. yeah, I think even for a GUY- doing housework and carrying around a baby is better-and sufficient exercise-compared to working out at a gym.

Anyway-I don't know why there seems to be this HUGE OBSESSION with weight and being "fit"...
I can certainly appreciate and advocate for a sensible diet, physical activity, smart lifestyle choices( not smoking, avoiding street drugs, and being REASONABLE with alcohol, caffeine, sugar,eating a balanced diet-no that's NOT a 6-pack of beer in one hand and a giant double cheeseburger in the other!)
But people seem to really be OVER-focused on weight here...
I'm reminded of an old wall plaque that used to be popular in this neck of the woods...
"A big wife
And a big barn
Never did any man harm"
Cindy O
A footnote to okiesmom
I'd have asked the dude if he'd considered consulting a urologist and a plastic surgeoon about his small "package" ...
Hey- do y'all reckon I might be ONTO something here? That these guys who are obsessed with women being anorexia-level thing are afraid that their "tool" wouldn't be big enough to penetrate a lady with some meat on her bones???
 sweetmama482
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2012 3:45:25 PM
blonde_angel you hit it on the nail couldn't say it better, I don't let people rent space in my head when they comment on something negative cause if I do I won't have a wight problem I'll have a depression problem, take in those who like you as you and throw out the rest. You look just fine. good luck
 sweetmama482
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2012 3:46:33 PM
blonde_angel you hit it on the nail couldn't say it better, I don't let people rent space in my head when they comment on something negative cause if I do I won't have a wight problem I'll have a depression problem, take in those who like you as you and throw out the rest. You look just fine. good luck
 bamagrl68
Msg: 94
Posted: 8/27/2012 6:53:53 PM
Abbygirl58- It amazes me, these people that seem to think they are God's gift and they have these "requirements".
You look great, so don't think twice about it.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2012 4:49:15 PM

Only if someone who obviously isn't says they only want a FIT woman.

Then its still isn't scary, just hilarious.
 2hotcougar
Msg: 97
Posted: 8/31/2012 4:33:27 AM
most of the men that say fit is the one that huffing and puffing when your the one that had to do all the work lol damn i didint to make you have a heart attack i just like to get a little freaky so just write yhem few men off and go on to someone else
 Paderic
Msg: 98
Posted: 8/31/2012 6:33:54 AM
Only if someone who obviously isn't says they only want a FIT woman.

Then its still isn't scary, just hilarious.

No more so than when a woman who obviously isn't says she only wants a FIT man.

Statistically speaking, the problem of poor physical fitness is shared equally by the genders.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 99
Posted: 8/31/2012 6:44:53 AM
I'm not scared off by the word, "fit". I work hard to keep my body "bikini worthy", and I expected the same level of fitness in a potential partner. I actually put in my profile that I wanted someone trim and athletic, with a healthy lifestyle.
 billingsmason
Msg: 101
Posted: 8/31/2012 9:08:04 AM
Seems like this was mostly just a big hate fest on those who are in shape.
Lmao- good for you....
Much better to feel good about your self by putting others down than actually working on the things you want to change. If you are really fine with things- you don't want to change them, or hate on folks that are different.

btw- putting things like average, when you're actually obese.... or a few extra when it's really 30-40-
That is lying. Who wants to be with someone who can't tell the truth anyway?
 VolcanoKing
Msg: 103
Posted: 8/31/2012 9:45:13 AM
Haha I once went out with a man who used the "athletic and toned" option for his description. When we met up he was overweight with a big gut.
Nothing matters online, people can describe themselves any way they want. The truth will out when you meet.

That's why REAL LIFE dating is the way to go, not this online lie-fest.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 104
Posted: 8/31/2012 9:45:22 AM
Fit doesn't scare me.
I could lose a few more pounds, but I have no problem keeping up
with anyone of doing the things I enjoy.

I just think it's interesting that (in here) "fit" seems to be the major
criteria for a lot of people. They figure since they're "fit", they're a
major catch and really don't have to worry about anything else.

Just because you're "fit", doesn't mean you're automatically attractive
to people.

It's best just to ignore the people you aren't interested in and to skip
profiles that don't fit your standards or criteria. Why let online pictures
bother you or get the best of you?
 chris59newyork
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2012 10:06:05 AM
no more than HWP..lol I mean some folks are my height and weight 135 and some weight 250..I'm 5'9' and I'm happily in the middle..take me as I am or move on..guess that's why I'm here lol
 NDTfan
Msg: 106
Posted: 8/31/2012 1:28:25 PM
It doesn't scare me at all. There are plenty of men out there who don't limit themselves to a certain body type. It's best that those who do want a "fit" woman (usually pulled straight out of their pron fantasies) say it upfront in their profiles so that they don't waste anyone's time or disappoint them. Who cares? Most of them won't get it, but we all have our dreams huh?

It still goes back to what I said earlier. Fit is "fit"...Fit is not "thin" ...and many times when the word "fit" is used, when they are really looking for "thin." FYI...healthy is "in." The anorexic look is out....just saying. I live in OC...the land of anorexic, tanorexic, bad bleach blondes, and stupid...but "thin" women. They go to the gym in full make up but can't make it through one spin class. So what does that say? I have a bangin curvy shape, but not thin, and can make it through an entire spin, kickboxing or zumba class. So which one of us is "fit."

How'd I know that someone would chime in with this sort of statement.....

You don't know if these women are stupid. You're just telling yourself that to make yourself feel better for not having what they have. It's human nature to feel jealousy, but grown ups shouldn't have to make up stories to comfort themselves.
 ladyc4
Msg: 109
Posted: 9/1/2012 8:02:31 AM
I used to smoke.
I led a life of work and activities that would have killed 10 ordinary women.

As a result of that, I cannot claim myself to be a radiant picture of health but I do alright for someone with a chronic pain/fatigue condition.
I had a friend, little bit of a thing, probably didn't weigh 100 lbs soaking wet-she was a couple of years older than I...
she died last year.
Killed by the coffee and cigarettes that kept her slim.

I might have slowed down and gained weight-(and not ALL of my activity reduction is about my health,btw-nor is my current condition/situation permanent).

When I consider a persons' health, weight, level of physical fitness, activity level, I look at the total picture-and how they got where they are; I don't fixate on one aspect.
If I could identify anything in profiles that scares me(with or without beejeebers) it would be indicators of mental/emotional UNfitness.
What the hell good is a guy who can climb a mountain before breakfast, if his purpose in that climb is so that he can stare down at the world with bitterness and resentment?
Cindy O
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >