Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Relationship with someone with a different nationalityPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
as long as they speak good english, and are white, it would`nt matter where they came/come from :O)
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Relationship with someone with a different nationality
Posted: 8/31/2012 9:16:19 AM
^^^ "What does ‘speak good English’ mean, though? "

i simply mean, as long as i can understand what they are saying, without too much difficulty kodanshi :O)
 bootielicious
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2012 2:28:14 PM
Communication is very important to me, so this would be the deciding factor. Having said that it is also the deciding factor with anyone, as some times I feel like I am speaking a foreign language. The light definitely has to be on or I'll be switching off!
 bootielicious
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2012 2:46:03 PM
I once met a lovely chap off an internet chat site. We got on very well and when we met up he asked me if I would date him. I bit the bullet and asked him if he had any obligations or expectations from him family or his faith and he admitted that he would be having an arranged marriage, but until then he was free to date who he wanted.

This is what I call having your cake and eat it. Why would I invest time in our temporary relationship, knowing full well that one day the rug would be pulled from under my feet and what happens if we fall in love?

This does also need to be considered and I appreciate that he was honest with me, as some men would have said whatever I wanted to hear in order to get what they wanted.
 try1more
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2012 3:46:14 PM
lucky you got an honest one booti.
but this doesn't just happen with colour/religion.
wrong side of the tracks, wrong class, wrong age even political preference, and no doubt many others.
ok to play with em, but you get serious, you get disowned.

how many when faced with the choice between a partner and their current life, could take their partners hand and walk away into the unknown?
 scareymush
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/1/2012 12:04:53 AM

Do you have any prejudices against people who aren't british?

First of all, what is British?

As far as I'm concerned, you are English, Welsh or Scots (three distinct nationalities) if you hail from mainland Britain..I like Welsh people, I like English people, I like Scots who are happy to recognise their Irish roots and who aren't dour fvckwits with zero personality and no sense of humour and are angry all the time.

The only people who claim to be British are those who are sports fanatics (when it suits) or those who are actually first/second generation immigrants from different continents altogether..e.g.: lots of Irish immigrants in 'Britain' are happy to say that they are Irish no matter how many generations of their family have lived on the British mainland but they are also proud of being British...

The BBC also claims many Irish sporting heroes, actors and literary geniuses as British when it simply isn't true...

To conclude:

I'm totally anti those people who profess to being British because they can't actually enjoy having an individual identity or are too frightened to be themselves and revel in their own particular heritage whilst living abroad....but, if you want to know how I feel about people who claim to be something they aren't ..well then, I don't find them particularly attractive.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2012 12:17:43 AM
i`m a bit of a mongrel !, there`s irish, and spanish in my bloodline ( that i know of !) hahaha :O)
 try1more
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2012 9:22:46 AM
i see nobody has picked up on my previous post.
i've seen posts on here putting down those that live or grew up on a council/sink estate.
there is a mindset where the place you were born, grew up or live defines you, as does your current circumstances.
this is what locks people into where ever they are now, no one wants to know them because of their perception of them.
this can lead them to be very suspicious of anyone that does accept them.
it becomes a vicious circle.

it may often be the reason for no reply.
as a previous thread it is often the reason for not sending a message if you think you're not good enough in some way, so it follows that you will get no reply if they think you're not good enough, rather than reply and find out.
you cannot evaluate a person from a pic or a profile, but to some extent we all do.
to some extent we create our own barriers.

nationality is just a splinter from a large log.
 bootielicious
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2012 1:28:05 PM
Another consideration, which I think has probably past for me now, but still an issue for younger ladies. Does your potential partner have routes in the UK or do they still think of home somewhere far away? If you had children together and God forbid it all went wrong, will you be fighting in court to not only see your children, but keep them in the same Country? You hear such horror stories about things like this and I have to say as someone who is a Mother, I would rather die that give up my child and I would not want to live in another country to have that right.
 terminal-velocity
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2012 4:33:57 PM
relationships of any kind are difficult, and it has to be said that adding a different culture, language and perhaps religion into the****ail can make it even harder. however, whats wrong with trying. there is more miscegenation in this country than in anywhere else in the world, are we a happier lot for this? i dont know, there is no doubt though that genetically its a good thing, and being close to people of completely different outlook and background is liberating as you free yourself from your own cultural limitations and hopeful lose some of its bias.
 TheRealSoul
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2012 11:45:22 PM
Bit of a daft question really because people of the same nationality arent necessarily going to make it as a couple. It depends on the 2 individuals and how well they get on together just like any relationship regardless of nationality or ethnicity
 bootielicious
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2012 12:43:47 AM
The traditional ways are dying out due to necessity. Who can afford to live on one wage these days? If you are a couple and living together then you pool your money to pay the bills and hopefully have some standard of living and it is this that means that a relationship that works is about sharing out duties and working together to enjoy the spare time that you have.

What man would let their partner work 40+ hours a week and then expect them to cook the dinner and do the ironing? That's not a man, that's a monster! How could a relationship like that survive, as I don't see any love there on the man's part if that is the case.

The problem with some traditions is that they don't fit in to today's society. We have to adapt and accept that change happens. It doesn't mean she doesn't love you or care about you if you are cooking the dinner, it means she is busy trying to provide in the same way that you do or would like to.
 stonecastle
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2012 4:38:31 AM
I like French , Dutch and Swedish women because I think their accents are so sexy.
 ir82
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2012 6:15:27 AM
I used to go out with somebody of different race and relgion, but she was British and a none believer wasn't that much of an issue.

However if I dated somebody from a different country I think perhaps culture may be a problem. My culture is very very British or even northern. I work and live for the weekend.

I think dating any European girl (as longs as they could speak good English) or American, Australian or Irish would not be an issue at all, as longs as they liked similar music and drank alchohol.
 zzzI4u
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/10/2012 1:43:47 PM
Only important how you get along and nationality of no importance. Distance not a problem
See e mail I sent
 feyfaith
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2012 6:49:01 PM
I'm the product of a long and happy marriage of 2 nationalities/ethnicities so I know it can work over the long haul.
I'm pretty open to being with another ethnicity or nationality. Individuals are just that, whatever their origins.

The only real caveat I have is the prospect of children in a country where women have zero rights over their offspring. The fate of some Saudi ex-wives fills me with horror for example. It'd be a fate worse than death to be forbidden to even see or visit my offspring.

Families are all so individual even within cultures, that I'll take a man's as I find them, on individual merit. I know of British MIL's who are awful & others who like angels.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >