Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nipoleon
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Clint Eastwood and the RNC speechPage 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential nominee for president, got upstaged by an old guy talking to an empty chair. Romney got the nomination and Clint Eastwood got the headlines.

Mitt Romney has to be the most nondescript presidential candidate in history. Any time you need your wife to go on TV and tell everyone what a great guy you are, you're lost.
Can you imagine Pat Nixon doing that ?

Obama shouldn't even go to the debates. Let Romney debate the empty chair.
The chair would still win on personal charisma alone.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Clint Eastwood and the RNC speech
Posted: 9/3/2012 6:01:28 AM
They needed an Eastwood performance to draw attention away from the days of lies that was the Repub convention. While Lyin Ryan took the world record for concentration of lies, Eastwood hi-lighted life in the post-truth republican era. It is troubling that the vast majority of their supporters don't even care about truth anymore. Paul Rosenberg explains it. http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/08/201282694814229952.html
 Usernotloggedin
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2012 6:02:52 AM
An empty suit, in an empty chair.. Clint nailed it!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/3/2012 6:56:18 AM
Having been an undergrad in theatre, and having lived with an actor, the thought has occurred to me that Clint knew *exactly* what he was doing, and did it. Every actor's nightmare is to be delivering a great anguished speech, and being upstaged by a grandmother going through her pocketbook, stage left. . . .

Prime time is valuable, and scarce. Clint's a libertarian who believes in gay marriage, abortion on demand, etc. Maybe he was pissed at the way the Maine delegation was treated? Who knows? But I'm going to leave the door wide open on whether it was a senile old man off on the Ventura Highway, or a crafty old actor doing what he does best: getting in all that glorious limelight, and sucking all the oxygen out of the room. . . .

As for libs being upset, lol!? Hadn't noticed that. HAVE noticed what a good, clean, fun time the left is having over this. . . .

E.g., http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/527223_523584554333727_587857476_n.jpg and http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/387162_411719215541782_1535806851_n.jpg and, oh, a few thousand more.
 flyguy51
Msg: 33
Posted: 9/3/2012 7:38:39 AM
Yes, but Republicans really WANT the left to be apoplectic over it, and they project that desire onto their perception of reality-- much like they do with just about all of their beliefs and desires.

At the end of the week, Eastwood is the talk of the convention, and everyone else who spoke isn't.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2012 8:10:25 AM
The only thing I have seen which is pathetic about it all, is that some people declare that offending someone is an accomplishment of note.

Not talking about Eastwood in that, I side with Bill Maher's observations, save for the pejoratives. It was an entertainment which worked for his audience. No, the pathetic ones, are those who proclaim that because some people who they don't care for were offended, that this somehow means that there was more to this than what it was.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/3/2012 9:27:43 AM

Truely this is what it should be about. Eastwood's act was a farce, and saying "I don't think there should be lawyers in the white house" when Mitt Romney is a Harvard Grad with a law degree same as Obama makes it even more of a farce.

That was my take away from that funny lil stand up act also.

Other than that; it was a cute little comedy bit, and nothing more.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/3/2012 11:26:59 AM
^^^^^
"And kind of sad, like Eastwood. "

Clint Eastwood, born to migrant worker parents in San Francisco, grew up and took all sorts of jobs, even a lifeguard. He must have been a good swimmer, in the army a plane went down and he and the pilot swam 3 miles back to shore. Then he got a job as an actor in 1954, although he had no training or experience, for $100 per week, with the agreement that he attend acting classes.
He kept working, going on to being in movies, then directing and producing movies. He has children, been married, was the mayor of a town, and has numerous awards from Hollywood, France, and Italy.
At age 82, he is still working, wealthy, popular, and appears to be in good physical health.

This is sad?
 want to travel
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2012 4:13:59 PM
if people saw the whole thing ,yes it was very sad, he seemed confused
the 30 sec sound bites only show the lucid periods
ageing is terrible, i love the guy
hate to see him like that
 want to travel
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2012 4:25:12 PM
did you see the whole thing
no
i did not think so
i hope hes ok
love the guy
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/3/2012 4:43:28 PM

has been described as a serial womanizer due to his numerous extramarital affairs.

Umm, not for nothing but Bill 'Clint'on holds the same honors! And he'll be giving a pivotal speech real soon at the DNC. For Obama's sake, he better do a better job than 'Clint' did for Romney; cause he can't use the same speech he made 4 years ago!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2012 5:25:08 PM
Yeah, I must say, I can't see how Eastwood's private life has anything at all to do with his performance.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 41
Posted: 9/3/2012 6:02:36 PM
I can't say why I watched it but I did, and heard all the blah blah. I live in the Tampa Bay area, so if I turn my TV on at all fairly hard to avoid...haha. My thoughts are that there are those who do things, whatever they are in whatever arena, whether politics, entertainment, business. Then there are those whose only career is taling about what other people do. I'm not one who likes politics at all, but I tend to put stock in those who talk about what other people do as just that. It's commentary, whereas those who have done something, one of the potential pitfalls of being in public life is that you become exposed. I know that in my working life, there are things I would do different, but wasn't "wrong" at the time. Experience in looking back, it gives a different perspective.

Anyone can take out one snippet of someone, anyone's career and pick it apart. I tend to look at things as a whole, anyone can have regret about some decision. It's regretful, for those in the public arena, that those moments can be broadcasted over and over. I don't see it as a big deal either way, if it's put in the broader perspective of this person's entire career. A man extremely accomplished in his field, which is not even politics. Really?
 justdeb1111
Msg: 42
Posted: 9/3/2012 7:42:19 PM
"has been described as a serial womanizer due to his numerous extramarital affairs."

Dang, and here I used to live in Pacific Grove and never knew that.

Clint! Clint! Is it too late??!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2012 4:41:25 AM

Willing to bet if the empty chair was directed at Mr. Romney the liberals wouldn't be complaining about Mr. Eastwood's unique performance.

Maybe, maybe not. I know that what drove me away from the extreme left a LOOOONG time ago, was this exact sort of thinking, though. Patting oneself on the back, because you imagine that the other side would be just as foolish or just as egotistical, or just as pig-headed as you are, only enhances your image as a foolish, pig-headed group.

This is also another kind of "straw man" argument. "They would have applauded instead of jeered," is impossible to refute, not because there's any way at all to prove it's true, but because it isn't real.

Finally, even if you are 100% right, and tomorrow, some liberal-slanted celebrity performs a similar antic for their convention, it will still not prove that THIS performance was somehow validated. It will only show that the other side is just as full of nonsense as you are. Not something to be proud about, I think.

I believe that a lie is a lie, whether someone else lied as well or not. I believe that nonsense and rudeness is nonsense and rudeness, whether someone else was rude as well, or will be rude as well.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/4/2012 8:20:13 AM
^^^^^^
"it kind of takes away from the pressing issues yes?"

Pressing issues like this?

http://riehlworldview.com/2012/09/report-hillary-clinton-aide-voting-romney.html
Top Hillary Clinton aide voting Romney
Socialize RWV:

By Dan
September 3, 2012

Top Clinton confidant Douglas Band has said that he will vote for Republican Mitt Romney, according to a report in The New Yorker, apparently a move to strengthen Hillary Clinton’s position in the Democratic Party.

“By some measures, a defeat for Obama in November would leave Hillary the undisputed leader of her party and propel her toward the Oval Office that much faster. At least one of Clinton’s closest advisers seems to be backing that strategy,” writes Lizza. “According to two people with direct knowledge, Douglas Band has said that he will vote for Romney. Band declined to comment.”
 flyguy51
Msg: 45
Posted: 9/4/2012 9:21:48 AM
Any mention of Eastwood or his RNC speech in that article?

Eastwood's RNC speech-- he built it!
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 46
Posted: 9/5/2012 2:15:51 PM
Clinton was the best Republican President we have ever had.

Isnt he lobbying hard to go and get involved in the p*s*y riot?

;P

vlad dracul
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2012 3:58:49 PM
ah folks i was watching sky news today and there was a representative
from both the republicans and the democrats in the london studio.

they played part of michelle obamas speech at the dems rally where she
was waffling on about his rust bucket car.
lol

then they showed romneys missus at the rep rally talking about her grandad starting
work when he was 6 or something like that. and then they played wee clips
of one them the other trying to outdo each other on the 'we were poor stakes'

the geezer was laughing and said it was like the 4 yorkshiremen sketch from
monty python.

heres a wee bit of the 4 yorkshiremen sketch in script with a link to the whole thing
and then the clip on youtube. just think mrs obama/romney in place of the yorkshiremen

lol

Four Yorkshiremen Sketch
Monty Python

Four well-dressed men sitting together at a vacation resort.
Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.
Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?
Terry Gilliam: You're right there Obediah.
Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?
MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.
GC: A cup ' COLD tea.
EI: Without milk or sugar.
TG: OR tea!
MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.
EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
TG: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."
EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.
GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!
TG: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor!
MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.
EI: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.
GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!
TG: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.
MP: Cardboard box?
TG: Aye.

more on the link below
http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/jokes/monty-python-four-yorkshiremen.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/6/2012 9:30:37 AM
The only thing an empty chair will come to symbolize.......

...is Corporate America, as they continue to "skip out" on the working class , for lack of job creation and exporting their manufacturing to cheaper pastures, irrespective of the fact that they been given enormous tax-cuts by the GOP in the Gwb years that continues to this day!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Cautious

The number ONE thing we have GOT to turn around is our national debt.

the GOp wants to do this on the backs of the working poor and middle class; retirees by gutting Medicare; Social security; and all kinds of things that tax payers have paid into.

The Dems would rather focus on upping the tax rate for the rich (romney says he paid but 13% on his annual returns); and cutting out the Gwb Tax cuts as we had when Clinton was the POTUS

Which option would you prefer?

Hey! I am all for helping the under privileged but I have personally known wayyyy too many people that are on welfare just because they are LAZY......plain and simple.

Welfare dependancy is a problem that neither party has chosen to tackle, but I would not say that most pple on welfare are lazy; many are single parents, many are the elderly and mentally deranged! The problem that is just as big is Corporate welfare; that is, the gov't giving hand outs (in many forms as well as tax breaks) to big businesses; and foreign aid, as we give Billions to countries who don't even like us.

This made me laugh SOOOO hard, your kidding right?

The correct wording would be that americans want effective & strong leadership and less gridlock.

so when we start paying 7 bucks for a gallon of gas.....I'll be sure to thank Mr. BO for that!!

Don't let yourself be duped by the GOP; the POTUS does not regulate the price of fuel! In 2008 before the election the price of gas was over $4/gallon in the early part of the year; in a few short months just before the election it MYSTERIOUSLY dropped down to under $2/gallon! But the GOP still lost the election; then it rose back up to where it is now.

I'll bet that the GOP is lobbying the oil companies real hard to keep the current cost of fuel as high as possible in these months so as to reflect it back to BO!
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 51
Posted: 9/6/2012 10:34:57 AM
Re: msg 89 - "After Bill Clintons speech last night...honestly the Clint Eastwood thing...is just a distant memory....lol."

Bill " I feel your pain" Clinton always did have the ability to reach plenty of women, and the DNC sure does have major balls to put him as the keynote speaker, seeing as how he had more sexual harassment lawsuits than anyone in recent history, not no mention being impeached for same.
But, at a time when their candidate is struggling, you have to take risks. Rare for an incumbent president, but it is what it is. Just don't ask Bill what "is" means :)
 lovefun99
Msg: 52
Posted: 9/6/2012 10:45:49 AM
My God, didn't anyone make the connection? Eastwood was doing a scene that Jimmy Stewart did in the movie Harvey. he just turned it into a modern political debate.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2012 1:23:31 PM
Can't say whether or not Mr. Eastwood was acting or not; I do think, however, his bit skewering the empty chair would have been more effective had he rehearsed it (more) or had it scripted. If not done specifically for effect then i think he probably took too much of they hype surrounding his skills to heart - i.e., believed the press about his acting abilities. Reading or memorizing a scripted message is not the same as extemporaneous speech. Some can, some cannot.

Libs (dems) are apoplectic because one of theirs (Hollywood) took on their latest god, "he who must not be laughed at." Mr. Eastwood is not the only conservative in tinseltown, others such as Mr. Grammer are also on the right side of most issues.

TK
 Double Cabin
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2012 5:15:16 PM
One thing President Obama has done is NOT detroy this country in the wake of inheriting the worst financial crisis of our lifetimes. FDR and those congresses injected $10,000,000,000,000 into an economy of 100 million people while Presdient Obama put $3,500,000,000,000 into this economy of over 300 million people. Without the stimulus unemployment would have been at least 2 points higher and millions would have lost benefits and our economy would have most certainly collapsed. If anything a reputable economist would suggest the stimulus was far to small.

Given the partisan tripe of John Boehner and Mitch McConnell this President has done a great job of not destroying this country however much Boehner and McConnell would delight in that happening. Those two didn't offer a eep when Bush 43 had the debt ceiling raised more than 14 times in a non-recessionary economy and they gripe once when this Presdident does it to literally save the country? Where was the Tea Party when Ronald Reagen Tripled the debt? When Bush 43 doubled it? To suggest Republicans have ANY claim to fiscal responsibility is to be incomplete denial of the reality of the historical record. If you want to go back to an economy shedding more than a half million jobs a month do indeed vote for the flip flopster that Romney has become. I would have voted for him in 2008, but not now after this shameless pandering to the luntaic fringe of the right.

"Think! It's very Patriotic!"
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 55
Posted: 9/6/2012 8:15:57 PM
Just one question.
Last time out, Obama promised five million green jobs.
Tonite Obama promised thousands of green jobs.
Aren't we short by four million nine hundred thousand?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >