Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Males looking for females interested in discussing philosophy.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Double Cabin
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Males looking for females interested in discussing philosophy.Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
With all due respect Drink although I am coming to appreciate your broader ken I'm going to disagree with you on this "issue." In my experience MOST women are just as capable as MOST men when it comes to being able to actually think critically. Most of us succumb to stereotypes based more than anything else on personal experience, and with billions of people the crittically thinking among us know the empirical data of one homo sapien doesn't translate into substantiated gender stereotype.

Now why is it no 21 year old cheerleaders find me intriguing?
 kiiza
Msg: 27
Males looking for females interested in discussing philosophy.
Posted: 12/2/2012 12:25:46 PM
life is more than dating. These are tools that should help people succede in life. It's actually good to hear from mature people and their different views. success and failures are all part of life and carracter building. let's face it, listen and make adjustment to where you need to in your own life.
Posted: 12/2/2012 4:28:25 PM
Doublecabin:

...heh...then where the heck are these women then? That's why this thread is named like it is. That's why this thread is necessary. That's why this thread is not so long versus how long it's been here. How many women are posting in here versus other threads, versus lurking, and also showing that genuine ability or interest...how many see it's title and even give a crap versus reading some naive ask a guy or girl thread? I've explored a variety of social circles and stations, and noticed that if a guy talks a certain way, being "technical" and questioning things, and talking about certain subjects, every woman present acts kind of weird as if the guy is being offensive or dorky.
Posted: 12/5/2012 1:16:44 AM
...and I'm pretty certain that at least one of the males who frequently posts in a religion/science oriented thread is actually female, posing as male with a male profile.
Posted: 12/5/2012 2:57:21 PM
shakti:

Yes, I can relate to that.
 Lifeisadream9
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/8/2012 1:27:38 AM
Geeks? Nerds? Hey there is very little wrong with such references. After all, the brain *is* the largest endogenous zone of the human anatomy. Power to the geeks; at least those who idealize (offline) regularly enough to keep far enough from atrophy! ~LiaD.
Posted: 12/8/2012 1:55:23 AM
Women need to realize that when they call a guy a geek (like nerd or dork) it's derogatory. Offensive. A turn-off. If you were to (with honesty and objectivity) try and define "geek", and realize it's etymology, it doesn't make sense and is dumb and unnecessary for the word to exist, except as with the original negative stigmatizing intention, despite how it's intended these days and even taken positively by many guys. (or vice versa with guys/gals)

(example - if you're only talking about someone being smart about something...then...huh? Why this extra word, really?)
Posted: 12/8/2012 2:17:10 PM
Well, that's one of my opinions that should be taken with a grain of salt.
 LogosLady
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/14/2012 12:37:01 PM
Hey guys! I'm a self-admitted sapiosexual. I'd LOVE to have an intelligent discussion with a man on ANY subject. I am well versed in philosophy, religion, history, math, science, business, art, music, technology. Please contact me.
 egricsillagok
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/15/2012 7:52:06 AM
"You have better chances of getting hit by lighting twice at the same spot."

Nah, that doesn't work, either. I tried it. tried being in the same spot, and being hit by lightning, once, and then again at a different time, and it did not help me find dates.

you can't believe everything you see and hear. You must conduct controlled experiments and do a statistical analysis on the raw date they produce or yield. that's the proper scientific way of going about it, not just believing anecdotal evidence.

this is the science forum, partly, that's the only reason I said this.

---------------

"I have a philosophical bent in my neck now, does that count ;)"

windchimes, I hope this won't turn out to be your philosophy swan-song.

--------------------

"See Message #5 again, she told you exactly how to use one of the tools.

The site's software matches people, in part, according to the interests listed in the "Interests" section of your profile. If you put "philosophy" or "philosophic discussions" in your list of interests, (along with "long walks on the beach", "dining out", and "hiking and biking") :) it will attempt to match you up with women who also have those in their lists of interests.

And now that I have looked at your profile, I see that you have done that :) Good luck!"

windchimes, this is a good idea, and it works most of the time, but not at all times.

for instance, consider me, a man suffering greatly of narcissistic personality disorder. the only topic of interest I would be able to put in that list of interest, in all honesty, is "I".

there is another person, a gal, who put "I" too. so we would be matched. because the interest-matching happens on identicality of spelling of interests, not on the idea or essence of the interest. so she and I, both having put "I" under interests, will be matched up. but her "I" is different from my "I". we look at the same "I" with different eyes. Her "I" is herself, which is wildly different from my "I" which is myself.

Or look at it the other way. My interest remains at a constant "I". a chick reads my profile, she likes me, she wants to be noticed, but she does not want to clobber me over the head with telling me her interest in me. so, she, let's assume for a second, wants to make an in-road with commonality of interests.

she looks at my list of interests, which is a singular word, and the only one listed, "I".

she says, because she is philosophical and smart, that this guy's "I" must be "U" for her.

so she puts "U" in her list of interests, and the twain shall never meet. because the spelling-driven match algorithm will never match my "I" with her "U", despite the fact that we both clearly meant the one and precisely same physical reality with our words in the interest list. Yet, no match will be returned to us by the match parser.

the list-matching of interests may work for some, and work very well, in fact, for most. except for weird guys like me, who have unique, and not easily referenced interest by spelled pronouns, if one considers the grammatical and syntactic / cognitive / semantic realities of the object of reference, and the referencing person.

--------------

"why the 'naive' threads get more posts and threads such as this, don't. imo :)"

Maya, perfectly good alternative explanations are extant to explain the phenomenon.

It has to do with distribution of interest levels for philosophical topics being comparable to extremes of IQ scores as distributed in the population.

this means that as few people are interested in smart topics as few people are smart.

this does NOT mean that you have to be smart to be interested. It just means that as many are interested in smart topics, as many smart people there are. a lot of smart people are not interested in smart topics, and a lot of not so smart people are.

this is not to say I am right, it's only an alternative explanation to the one you proposed.

----------------

"MOST women are just as capable as MOST men when it comes to being able to actually think critically."

doublecabin. Hoo, boy, are you ever right on.

anyone whose mother-in-law was a near-professional level and talented back-seat driver will also agree with you.

guys and gals, I am getting off this wagon, at the next stop, coz I find myself monologuizing the topic. Philosophical discussions need at least two to tango or discuss, and I am doing all the work in this relationship. Unfair.
Posted: 12/15/2012 9:59:14 AM
Logoslady msg 39:

Well, be our guest. Jump into the relevant threads. You've made a proclamation, a declarative statement...that you are well versed, and that you'd love to have an intelligent discussion. So do so. Get in there. Do it. Don't say that you'd love it, or that you can do it.

Do it.

Don't do that "woman" thing of inviting or challenging, and being passive, sitting back and expecting the male personalities to take the actions.

Do it. Show it. And then we'll decide - do you pursue intellectual honesty and responsibility, or do you just know how to sound philosophical and sapio.
 egricsillagok
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/15/2012 6:41:47 PM
sure, Maya, hit me up. we are not supposed to conduct one-on-one conversations on the forums, so please hit me up on the private email system of this site. I.e. please send me a message.

sorry, moderator, for breaking the rule momentarily. I'll try my hardest to avoid breaking rules in the future, I promise.
 aremeself
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2018 8:03:33 PM
Most people in the world are much to insecure to discuss anything more than the weather without getting 'hurt'.

Not many of us want to learn.
Most just want to have their own ideas strengthened.
And if any research is done, it's​ for the above reason.
 MadameBoisseau
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/2/2018 11:04:06 PM
My minor is in philosophy of ethics - I'm a female, and am merely following in the foot steps of MANY women who made significant contributions to philosophy.

I also know how males get very angry and violent when you challenge them intellectually.

Struggle thinking of a female philosopher?
Look up what was done to Hypatia and how it was her murder that started the dark ages, look up the contributions she made to philosophy and ask yourself why so few hear of her or female philosophers in general.

I suggest the issue here isn't that women don't care about philosophy - rather women are frightened into playing dumb to satiate the egos of insecure males.
 reason782
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/3/2018 11:51:28 AM
philosophy isn't the only critical thinking thing there is either, critical thinking can be done in almost in any subject, anywhere. most critical thinkers will have a background that has logical rigor, like the math sciences or philosophy, but if were talking about women critical thinkers I could just list a bunch of mathematicians / scientists and be done with it.

A scientist / mathematician is already a philosopher, no philosophy degree required
 reason782
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/4/2018 1:25:19 AM
the freedom to first be ignorant of A if it is followed by not ignorant of A.
start with nonsense and end with sense, philosophy is a creative act, its almost comical, what games u can run amok, that's the whole purpose,

if we all agree then there is nothing to be said, proof is over
 feirene
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2018 5:05:28 PM
there's not a lot to discuss really. i mean it's nice to find other intelligent people but most topics have limited 'answers' or stuff to ponder.

i'd like to find someone more intelligent than me so that he teaches me stuff. my last ex was dumb, it didn't even last 2 years.
 reason782
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/11/2018 12:28:43 PM

yes i like to blow minds as much i like to blow my own
 reason782
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/12/2018 3:31:43 PM

yes i like to blow minds as much i like to blow my own

the problem with text:
you can't ever tell if im serious or playing games or joking around,
but i can also tell you that all three are easily possible at the same time.

philosophy isn't always an argument
 Coma_White
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2018 5:19:56 PM

My minor is in philosophy of ethics - I'm a female, and am merely following in the foot steps of MANY women who made significant contributions to philosophy.

I also know how males get very angry and violent when you challenge them intellectually.

That's pure baloney. Men are less emotionally driven and react logically when challenged intellectually. There's no proof that men in general get angry and violent when challenged intellectually.
Posted: 7/11/2018 4:27:39 AM

Is this a troll joke??
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2018 9:22:35 AM

Is this a troll joke??

That poster is not known for her jokes.
I've not encountered 'males get(ting) very angry and violent when you challenge them intellectually', though I have noticed some rather bemused expressions...
 Coma_White
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2018 10:30:44 AM

That poster is not known for her jokes.
I've not encountered 'males get(ting) very angry and violent when you challenge them intellectually', though I have noticed some rather bemused expressions...

I would appreciate a woman that could challenge me intellectually. For whatever reason, men seem to be more interested in keeping up with geopolitics and studying philosophy.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2018 12:10:43 PM
Somebody still has to make dinner, etc.etc.etc.etc.etc...
Posted: 7/11/2018 4:55:08 PM
Something that I've noticed...and not just with women, but either gender...is that when you disagree and want to genuinely take things to the appropriate "technical" level, or when someone is very wrong not just in their opinion but how they got there and you reveal how their logic or way of arguing is dishonest or careless, they accuse you of just not being able to handle someone disagreeing or challenging you; A woman, for example, might accuse a man of just not liking when a woman "has her own opinion" or is "thinking for herself". The problem here is that a person is having a problem with them being wrong, irrational, or closedminded/hardheaded...not just because they're a woman. Blonde angel, among others, pulls this stunt - you try to pursue the discussion and show how she's wrong, and her go-to defense is to accuse you of just not liking when a woman is thinking for herself or has her own opinion.

The real indicator that you bring any value to the table is not that you go through the motions and just have any ole opinion in order to claim that you're thinking for yourself...but it is whether or not you know how to think and converse and form those opinions responsibly and honestly in the first place.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Males looking for females interested in discussing philosophy.