Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > When do you close your online dating account      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 9
view profile
History
When do you close your online dating accountPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I've got active accounts on sites from 17 years ago, that I still use for international pen-pals. And obviously I'm on here, mainly for the forums. My wife knows and has no worries about it - plus she knows the passwords and can look anytime she likes.

Anyway, for most people, I think you need to discuss if and when to take down a profile. There's no absolute right or wrong answer here, so you should NOT assume one. However, most people will at least hide their profile once they are exclusive and have verbally made that commitment, and that seems reasonable unless there are good reasons to keep it active.
 coppertonegirl
Msg: 10
view profile
History
When do you close your online dating account
Posted: 9/11/2012 3:45:32 PM
Thank you very much for your candor.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/11/2012 5:02:29 PM
Takes three things:

1) When we are an item.
(and sure about each other)

2) When she asks me to.
(It's the woman's place to request that.)

3) And when she does as well.

For just dating...we can just hide our profiles.
Or put "Dating Someone" in em till we are sure.
 Moe601
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/12/2012 10:42:37 PM
Great post ! I totally agree! That's my so many relationship don't last! It don't matter what others think! But I do think that if you in a committed relationship then you should close your account if that's was your purpose to open up the account in the first place. I would close my account if I find someone that I wanted to be with the rest of my life.
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/14/2012 4:54:55 AM
Defiantly do not approach him about it...Make your own account or re activate it...Then if he is still on, just assume he is seeing other women, and start seeing other men secretly of course...Under no circumstances break up, or talk about it, just let it run it's course...
 irish_smackie
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/14/2012 8:06:09 AM

People on POF are not your friends...they are acquaintances. Your friends are people you do things with IRL.

I agree, though maybe even "acquaintance" is (for me) a generous description, at least until after meeting in person.

Maybe that's why I have difficulty understanding the desire to stay on these sites. I would much rather spend time with a real, live person I cared about than sitting in front of a computer, and I can't understand risking the feelings of someone I cared about in order to chat with a stranger online.
 irish_smackie
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/14/2012 11:37:35 AM

If that's how you feel why are you even on here?

I am single, and actually, my profile is hidden. I am here for the forums for the time being.
 irish_smackie
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/14/2012 4:21:51 PM
Shouldn't you use your time to meet your friends in real life? A real live person instead of the forums sitting behind a computer? I am just saying, you're not being logical.

If you were really my friend, I would be offended by this assertion.

lol
 AddHomonym
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/14/2012 6:31:58 PM
The first thing I do after having the exclusivity talk with a woman I am interested in is delete my profile. It can be like a little ceremony where you both do it together. I can't imagine how anyone could keep an open account on a dating site while in a committed relationship.

I get that people do this, I just don't understand it. Every single page (even in the forum) is adorned with little thumbnail pics of attractive single women. When I'm with someone I care about and am serious about, I don't want crap like this in my life. I'm not entirely sure I even want it right now.

In all honesty though, there were plenty of times I did miss this forum while I was happily distracted from my loneliness...lol Fortunately, there are other options out there.
 platypus_man
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2012 5:18:41 AM
I would not 'close' it, but I believe you have the option of hiding your profile if you want. I would hide my profile once I started dating someone. I'm not one of those people who can date more than one person at a time.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > When do you close your online dating account