Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > I'm 25 yrs old, He is 50 yrs old....can it work???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Melissa*C1987
Msg: 26
I'm 25 yrs old, He is 50 yrs old....can it work???Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

You asked for opinions on here and when you read something you dont like,you immediately go into attack mode.

Uhhhhh...because they attack first... thats not hard to figure out.

Umakeit always gives fair,unbiased responses

I don't see any fair, unbiased responses... just judgemental crap.
 DragonBits
Msg: 27
I'm 25 yrs old, He is 50 yrs old....can it work???
Posted: 9/11/2012 5:54:02 PM
OP, I don't see a particular problem with the age difference, though I wonder what is the real motivation behind your question when you seem determined to reject any advise you get.

Maybe you are afraid to stand up to your father and telling strangers to go to hell is easier?

And are you dependant on your father to live day to day? If so, can the 50 year old support you, or can you support yourself?
 Melissa*C1987
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/11/2012 5:59:29 PM

I wonder what is the real motivation behind your question

Yes I am kinda afraid to stand up to, not only my father, but other members of my family. They do have a "one sided" opinion and not an open mind. My mother can accept it, i think, but father...not so much.

And are you dependant on your father to live day to day? If so, can the 50 year old support you, or can you support yourself?

No I'm not dependant. I live on my own. I can support myself. But if he wants to help support (the both of us) he can yes.
 Melissa*C1987
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:00:35 PM

you seem determined to reject any advise you get.

I reject the hateful and arogant advice that is one sided. There is no real advice in being one sided.
 Melissa*C1987
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:03:09 PM

Fact is, the 50 year old guy is in no doubt ready to settle down, while the 25 year old guy might well be a hound dog and totally untrustworthy.

That's why I like older men. And its so true about guys my age, not all but the majority is.

Worst case, if it doesn't work out, the same as 50% of all marriages don't work out.

So very true. Take life and choices day by day.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 31
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:03:42 PM

better than being an old angry coot like yoursel

Because I don't agree with you, you call me names.
Is that how you deal with your parents too?
Very mature of you.

They would and are extremely jelous.....hint hint to the above "divorced" woman.

LOL!!!
Now that is so funny.
You go ahead and continue on with your tirade.
As I said ... enjoy.
Lifes lessons are learned via experience.

And maybe ... you should learn to talk to your parents instead of us on the forums.
Seems like you are wishing for a different type of father, one you CAN talk too.
Sad thing is ... you don't have to marry one to be able to talk to him.
Just work on correcting relationship with your parents.
Good luck.
 DragonBits
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:12:15 PM
I didn't think the advice was hateful, though there was a touch of arrogance in the reply.

You think you are mature and so smart for being 25.
Come back when your 35 and let us know how it worked out.

However, you are escalating the debate by name calling, which isn't very mature.
 tygerpawn
Msg: 33
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:12:47 PM
Can it work? depends on the person Ive seen it worked and Ive seen it not working, you are probably mature for your age yes, but and I do say but, you may feel different when you hit 40 and in your prime and he will be a senior citizen and start slowing down, that is the only problem down the road, My neighbour is going through the same thing, she is 40 and he is 65 retired, she still working and you can see things are not kosher .

I say be careful and dont worry about others think especially the old ladies , tell them to kiss your ass and mind your own business, there is a reason why some of them are divorced
 DragonBits
Msg: 34
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:16:38 PM

you may feel different when you hit 40 and in your prime and he will be a senior citizen and start slowing down, that is the only problem is down the road,

I had a 20 year old wanted to meet me with the idea of getting married.

I was wondering if when I was 80 would I be OK with buying her a boy toy to keep her happy.

Right now I thought I would be OK with that, but maybe I get jealous when actually confronted by the situation.
 Walts
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:23:15 PM
I've considered the OP's question very seriously and after much old man mental debate, I would have to say that yes, it could work. Personally though, if it was me in that situation, you would definitely have to go thru a few intial excercises for me before I would even consider the possibility. And yes, you will end up red faced,but., hey don't worry, this to will pass.

With,

experince.
 Melissa*C1987
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:24:45 PM
The problem isnt with other people...its with my parents.

Like right now I got off the phone with my mother and she said DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, HE IS AS OLD AS YOUR FATHER!!!

Ummmm....I don't care....
 freespiritxoxx
Msg: 37
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:27:49 PM
yeah your a sweetie.... lol
your over 18 make your own decisions.... your remarks in the forums have shown how mature you are... your not... you don't have the life experiences.................. your parents can not tell you what to do... since they love you keep your attitude with them.................... best of luck
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:29:52 PM
if you don't have a problem with it, and he doesn't have a problem with it. Why are you HERE, asking strangers about it? Your only concern seems to be with your family, and they seem to have spoken.
 freespiritxoxx
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:39:24 PM
and she knows all this without even dating or kissing him............... lol too funny... sounds as tho she is trying to create drama with her parents.......................... rolls eyes.................. until you have dated him you have no clue whatsoever of your feelings for him or not or his for you................
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:41:42 PM
Melissa, it will not last. For the short, term enjoy.
Age, intellect, habits, culture, physical abilities...too much different.
Was involved with a woman 18 years younger; could not take being a therapist, friend, father, lover, and most of all, jealousy.
It was wonderful while it lasted.
 patientlillady
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:42:01 PM
In 30 years, he'll be 80 and she'll still be young enough to go find another man when he keels over. Not trying to be morbid, however, I have a friend at work that's going through this right now.
 jblack2000
Msg: 42
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:54:31 PM
I don't feel bad for the old ladies

They have the gall to criticize the old fogeys who want to date younger women, but some of them still only want to date men 6ft or taller.

Hypocrites!!!!!!!!!!!

I tell you what, we'll make a trade

Date men your same height, and old men will date women their same age

Even Stevens
 I-am-Rei
Msg: 43
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:55:34 PM
Most parents will disagree with their kid"s choices be it younger or older or same age level. They will always find something to disagree about.
However you were not yet dating so I would say go for it and date him first. If you want to prove something to your father then this is it, prove to him how responsible you would be with your life and your relationship. It may work or not in the long run but showing them how responsible and mature you are in handling the situation be it a success or a failure might earn you some respect from your parents.
Maturity is something we earned while we get old. Enjoy now and learn later. Work or not, it is something you will be proud of or ashamed of later in life depending on how you handled it.

Good luck.

Blueline294
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/11/2012 6:58:28 PM
I was involved with a woman who was 26 and I was 45. Best damn five years I ever had. Without a doubt the most intelligent and caring woman I have ever known. And yeah she was drop dead gorgeous. Her parents ultimately proved too much however after they basically alienated her from her entire family.
 aussieblues
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2012 7:09:50 PM
"The problem isnt with other people...its with my parents"
No, actually the problem lies with you.
You are NOT dating a man 20 years your senior.
You ARE affecting your parents negatively with this nonsense. You obviously have scant regard for them.
You ARE replying to fellow posters in an aggro and condescending manner, with this nonsense.
You are NOT being mature, as you stated you are.
Grow up and work through your issues with your parents and leave the fifty year old man out of it.
Or date one of Daddy's golf partners if you really want to make your folks even more concerned about you.
You obviously have scant regard for them.

Now stay true to your character and attack me...........or show your so called maturity and back the hell off people who don't agree with your Fantasy Life.
 OKgirl529
Msg: 46
Posted: 9/11/2012 7:23:33 PM
Sweet Jesus.
After your first post, I was gonna say well she seems in love, and it doesn't seem to be about his money, so sure why can't it work? But then I read the rest of this thread, and I changed my mind. You are a snotty little child with no respect for your elders. Chances are, if this old man is wise, he will see your childish behavior/attitude and let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.
 jblack2000
Msg: 47
Posted: 9/11/2012 7:31:07 PM
Dating younger women....that's just shallow!!!! You can't change your age!

Wait............now you know how short men feel!

Maybe the OP wants to date older men so that she "feels safe".

Where have we heard that before??

Old ladies who reject short men have no room to talk!!!!!!!!!!
 Maleman999
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/11/2012 7:58:00 PM
I find it funny with the women who are saying "it won't work out, you have nothing in common, the age difference is too large" and so on. So many women find an old coot like Sean Connery, who is 82 now, one of the sexiest men alive, even after he became a senior citizen and fantasize about having sex with him. The same thing with George Clooney, who is in his fifties now. Most younger women wouldn't kick him out of bed either. But heaven forbid if people with the same age difference try that in real life.

Another point is it seems to be socially acceptable and expected for a guy in his 50's and older to marry a girl in her 20's if he's a millionaire. It's very common. If the guy in question in this post was a millionaire, I bet the parents would have no problem accepting him and welcoming him into the family.
 SmileznChuckles
Msg: 49
Posted: 9/11/2012 8:09:02 PM
It might work.. give it a shot
I've met 50+ yr old men..far too old for me
 Melissa*C1987
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/11/2012 8:13:04 PM
Thanks I-am-Rei

Your post says a lot of good things....

unlike others on here who are CREATING DRAMA AND NOT GETTING TO THE POINT OF THE QUESTION.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > I'm 25 yrs old, He is 50 yrs old....can it work???