Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dare to
Msg: 51
Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

When I got engaged to my ex husband I said NO DIAMONDS
Ditto... When my husband and I became engaged I didn't want a diamond, I wanted a red stone.. I chose a Garnet i think it cost around $400... I love it!
 Walts
Msg: 52
Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...
Posted: 9/20/2012 4:07:36 PM
For some of you,,,,the RING isn't FAKE!!!! The diamond was!!!! Or was it???? I know of many "engagement" rings that do not have a diamond as the stone,in fact I know of a couple that just exchanged bands. Stunning bands I might add. Assuming a engagement ring will be a diamond puts you back in the days when you women were barefoot,pregnant, and in the kitchen. Do you really wanna go there,,,,,again?????

Silly,silly,silly.
 moonbeamloveragain
Msg: 53
Posted: 9/20/2012 4:20:37 PM
Ouch... someone bullied into proposing including a fat ring they can't afford; the other receiving something dishonest after needing to "pressure" to get it (if a proposal has to be forced from someone, is it worth having? The gold digging isn't even the point (though it's pretty reprehensible)... but if a person has to MAKE a person want to commit to them for life, what kind of commitment will that be?

Forced commitment, demanded beyond means wealth and dishonesty... not a real great beginning for what is supposed to be one of the more magical periods of time in a couple's life. Wonder if they will even make it to the wedding... both have some growing to do... and each other doesn't (IF the coworker is actually accurate and there is not a lot we don't know) seem to be great at bringing it out of each other.
 Still_Dreaming_in_sc
Msg: 54
Posted: 9/20/2012 5:37:01 PM

People that live the life style that would allow a 100k ring to be worn would not be at a 9-5 job bragging about it by a water cooler and would not be in the part of society that it would be at risk.

Yes, people with money travel in a bubble and it repels thieves, much like the force field of the Starship Enterprise. Everyone knows the best thieves stick to robbing poor people because it's so profitable.

That is not what I meant at all. I was meaning it was commonplace and not the exception to the norm.

Meaning.. A woman working in an office job lower to middle class showing up with a 5 c ring is NOT common or normal. Had it been a 1-2 c ring nobody would likely have even questioned if it were real.

I also didn't mean they were safe but they would be less likely to be in a high crime rate area since they can afford to live in a better area. There are 2 types of people that live in areas that have a high crime rate. The criminals and the people that can't afford to live in a better area.

So a neighborhood filled with gucci bags and chanel with Benz and beamer dealerships on ever corner will be safer to be walking around with a 100k ring simply because it is the normal and normal does not stand out. Not the normal gets noticed.

So yes, a cop on every corner because there is a bank or country club on every corner IS going to end up being a bubble that repels thieves as you called it.
 _sunny_skies_darlin_
Msg: 55
Posted: 9/20/2012 6:04:18 PM
I wouldn't question someone's ring just because they work a lower-middle class job. That doesn't even make sense, lol. If she's sporting a 5 carat rock and it looks real, it could be that her man has money and/or a good job. I mean, HE bought it, right?
 m8t
Msg: 56
Posted: 9/20/2012 6:05:24 PM
Gifts of love should never be measured by the eyes, but the heart.
 CawkBlawker
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2012 6:31:19 PM
This isn't a sticky situation. They both deserve each other. She wanted a ring so bad and she got one. Him, like a silly inexperienced doormat, got her a ring to shut her up. I'm sure the gumball machine was full of them. All comes down to be careful what you ask for.

Now as far as big rings, anyone that actually knows anything about diamonds, would get papers from the jeweler if not for anything else, insurance purposes. I like jewelry and still have 2 engagement rings of substantial sizes from relationships that didn't work out. I never demanded anyone buy me certain sizes. They just did. They could afford to buy me the sizes they did. In fact, one suggested I go bigger. A five carat ring is nothing to me or my circle of friends. So before anyone starts giving the side eye, I live in NYC. There's a BIG difference in rings here than there is in bumblefvck middle of nowheresville. It's just the way it is. Nobody here is going to Walmart for their jewelry department.
 daynadaze
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2012 6:46:20 PM
They sound well matched, he gave her a fake ring and she got it checked out after some mouthy co-worker gave her opinion about it. I doubt he's such a nice noob that he has no idea what he's worth or how awful she is, I'm sure they are what each other deserve. As to having it checked, sure I would, I'd want to have it insured. You know it really doesn't make a man a nice guy because he puts up with a bytch and it really doesn't make a woman a bytch just because she wants a guy to treat her the way she wants. Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors, nobody but those two.
 vancitygurl78
Msg: 59
Posted: 9/20/2012 7:05:18 PM
I'm not big on rings..well actually that's a lie...I love sterling silver rings and that's as about as close of a ring that's gonna get on my fingers.

I think ppl who sport a "huge rock" on their finger, wants to show the entire world how much their significant other loves them. Seriously I pity those women. Do u really need a 'huge rock' for him to say he loves u especially after u badgered him to put a ring on ur finger? He probably did buy it to shut u up.

If I ever date a guy and it comes close to getting marriage, I wouldn't care if he bought me a ring or not. In fact, I'll put a friggen FRUIT LOOP cereal on my finger. But if he should just buy me a $20 sterling silver ring, I'd be happy with that too with our initials encraved of course. I'm a hopeless romantic, materialistic things don't suit me at all. If I can't buy it myself, I would never expect a man that I love to buy it for me. I'd be happy with whatever gifts he decides to give me. Preferably chocolates...lol
 J_bird61
Msg: 60
Posted: 9/20/2012 7:49:36 PM
ugggh, gives the rest of us girls a bad name..

I personally don't like wearing rings so anything large or even medium would be a disappointment to me...go figure.
Now I'll probably get the 4 carat ring and have to post a question on how to ask to take it back..:-) we're just never happy! sry.
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 61
Posted: 9/21/2012 1:54:35 AM
The both of them will be on POF shortly...lol..
 Full_of_Grace67
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2012 6:00:19 AM

They should be measured by the inch!!

OH DAMN! What are you trying to tell us?? Care to share with the class, heehee

I like jewelry and still have 2 engagement rings of substantial sizes from relationships that didn't work out

And you didn't give them back? That's a little tacky....

Well at least he/she didn't decide to get matching tattoos on their ring fingers? AWKWARD

That being said, I think nowadays ppl should have their SO's initials branded on them with a hot iron. Nothing says "I love you" (or I own you) like a permanent scar!
 _sunny_skies_darlin_
Msg: 63
Posted: 9/21/2012 9:46:09 AM
For those of you saying that you don't care about your man putting a diamond on your finger...I'm not buying it, lol.
I bet you'd be singing a different tune if it really were to happen. It doesn't have to be a big diamond, but a diamond nonetheless. It's not about the size or amount spent, it's what it represents and it's traditional.

Just saying =)
 im_a_rockstar
Msg: 64
Posted: 9/21/2012 10:00:55 AM
And people wonder why so many guys are so reluctant to get into a serious relationship...

Also, even fake diamonds can get pretty up there in price. There's rings that are over $1k for a cubic zirconia. Just because it's not a real diamond, doesn't mean that it was just some cheap ring that he found in Walmart.

If she has any issue at all with the ring he bought her, she doesn't deserve him. The relationship should be about each other, not what he can buy her.
 Fleuron
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/21/2012 10:08:07 AM

For those of you saying that you don't care about your man putting a diamond on your finger...I'm not buying it, lol.
I bet you'd be singing a different tune if it really were to happen. It doesn't have to be a big diamond, but a diamond nonetheless. It's not about the size or amount spent, it's what it represents and it's traditional.

I’ve had a diamond on my finger. It didn’t end up meaning a whole hell of a lot.

I’d rather a man use his imagination and offer me something that has real meaning for both of us. If he had something set especially for me…..THAT’S what’s meaningful to me. He’d have my heart forever.

And people wonder why so many guys are so reluctant to get into a serious relationship...

I doubt very much that this is a “serious relationship.”

I must have missed the part about his arm being twisted.
 Still_Dreaming_in_sc
Msg: 66
Posted: 9/21/2012 11:26:43 AM

I’d rather a man use his imagination and offer me something that has real meaning for both of us. If he had something set especially for me…..THAT’S what’s meaningful to me. He’d have my heart forever.

Nothing says I love you and letting you know what is in store like getting your own propane smelting station and some molds to melt your own precious metals together (which you can get some cool effects mixing things up and not just using gold) and forge your own rings together.

You have to be able to endure the heat and get rid of the impurities of the metals blended together and then together poor it into the molds to let it cool and settle into its permanent physical state. Of course since its a brand new mold yall have forged together the rings are pretty rough right out of the casting so some time and attention must be spent on each of them to file off the rough edges and burrs. Finally a little polishing and caressing to bring their shine out for the world to see and setting in some stones hand selected and there you have it.

Every time you look at those rings you will not only remember the commitments you made to each other but also the hard work and effort it took for you to craft those bands.

If I ever get married again, which would require me to find a woman I am not sure even exists anymore, this would be my choice for forging a lifetime together. Starting out by forging the bond between us together seems like an extra touch of commitment that will turn rings from what they have become (A financial status of a potential suitor) into what they used to be considered (a symbol of the unwavering love and devotion shared between a husband and his wife)

Just my opinions at least
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 67
Posted: 9/21/2012 11:33:58 AM
My ex bought her own ring and her boobs....she got more compliments about the size of her boobs than the size of her ring.....
 soo-girl
Msg: 68
Posted: 9/21/2012 11:35:18 AM

For those of you saying that you don't care about your man putting a diamond on your finger...I'm not buying it, lol. I bet you'd be singing a different tune if it really were to happen. It doesn't have to be a big diamond, but a diamond nonetheless. It's not about the size or amount spent, it's what it represents and it's traditional.

I couldn't care less if my boyfriend gave me a diamond ring because I have very little interest in jewelry and I would probably never wear it. I don't need material things to create a loving relationship with someone.

PS: I wish this darn site would stop logging me out every two seconds. Grrrr!
 Fleuron
Msg: 69
Posted: 9/21/2012 12:07:37 PM
still_Dreaming_in_sc:
Nothing says I love you and letting you know what is in store like getting your own propane smelting station and some molds to melt your own precious metals together (which you can get some cool effects mixing things up and not just using gold) and forge your own rings together…..

Every time you look at those rings you will not only remember the commitments you made to each other but also the hard work and effort it took for you to craft those bands.

That is truly beautiful. I love that idea. :)
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 70
Posted: 9/21/2012 12:46:59 PM
Seems like the relationship isn't really all that good. She practically had to **** and moan for him to get engaged. The guy seems like he doesn't want to marry her, and just got her the fake ring to shut her up. I'd be pissed if someone got me a fake ring, not cause of money. If he really wanted to marry her, he would have saved every penny to at least get her a real ring, even if it has a little diamond on it.
 Maleman999
Msg: 71
Posted: 9/21/2012 1:51:48 PM

If he really wanted to marry her, he would have saved every penny to at least get her a real ring, even if it has a little diamond on it.

And what prize does the guy get for getting engaged? Another case of women demanding equal rights, but only if they benefit from it, and quickly change to become 'traditional" to get a "traditional" pricey rock on their finger while the guy gets zip.

I like jewelry and still have 2 engagement rings of substantial sizes from relationships that didn't work out
...And you didn't give them back? That's a little tacky....

I don't understand women hanging onto jewelry from a failed marriage/relationship. The only reason I can think of is: if they gave it back, there's always the chance the guy might hang on to it and give it to the next woman he has a serious relationship with. Guys are more practical by not placing any emotional attachment to trinkets, whereas women act like a piece of jewelry is a gift from the heavens and would be totally crushed by another woman ever touching it. So they make sure no other human flesh will ever touch that ring.
 daynadaze
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2012 2:25:54 PM
The woman was thrilled to get the ring, how ever it came about because again we don't know them and we don't know their private conversations, the woman never thought about getting it appraised until a couple of nosy co-workers who hate the woman so loved making fun of her and her thrill over the ring, caused her to doubt the man's gift and guess what, the gift was not what he pretended it to be.

She may be a gold digger but then he's with her, he's getting something out of it, no one is forcing him to stay. Yet here are post after post calling her names while he's a poor poor pitiful nice guy being used but he got her back by treating her like a joke, same as her co-workers.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 73
Posted: 9/21/2012 3:46:29 PM

That's certainly your choice. I know it's hard for some people to think anyone would want anything different than they would...but one glance around society will tell you if we all wanted the same thing there'd be no distinguishing people from each other.

I bet you'd be singing a different tune if it really were to happen.

I don't like being bought - so I'd find it to be kind of insulting to think the guy I was with didn't know me, and it would make wonder if I know him at all since he thinks that kind of purchase makes sense.

It doesn't have to be a big diamond, but a diamond nonetheless. It's not about the size or amount spent, it's what it represents and it's traditional.

Blah, tradition is gender role based, and I'm not a fan. What it represents is ownership - and like a cattle brand, it's mainly there so other men know not to talk to you - the terms "taken" and "off the market" imply the same. Kind of like tree pissing, or a bike lock, but more expensive. Something we can have together not as one who reserves the other like a layaway, but two people who want to be together makes more sense. A big screen TV or a modest wedding, no ring and a decent honeymoon is better.
 RockabillyPaGirl
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2012 4:04:35 PM

Just saying =)

Speak for yourself...

The man I dated before my ex husband put a 1 carat diamond on my finger it was a H-I, SI1-SI2 quality diamond. I promptly put the thing in the jewelry box. I never wore it. I was scared of losing the diamond because of my career. Plus it did nothing to impress me. I am not a big jewelry girl. Especially not diamonds and etc. I loved my simple Claddagh ring. That meant more to me, and is far more a traditional to me then a diamond.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 75
Posted: 9/21/2012 4:49:03 PM
Diamonds are overpriced rocks mined by children ... watch Blood Diamonds...you'll never want another one.

There are great alternatives out there...high quality CZ's, white sapphires, lab-created diamonds and Moissanite...that give you the look of a big rock at a price that is more reasonable and without 3rd world child labor. Sounds like she cares more for the ring than the guy so yes, he should run...but because she is shallow and selfish, not because he did anything wrong.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...