Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RockabillyPaGirl
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...Page 4 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

For those of you saying that you don't care about your man putting a diamond on your finger...I'm not buying it, lol.
I bet you'd be singing a different tune if it really were to happen. It doesn't have to be a big diamond, but a diamond nonetheless. It's not about the size or amount spent, it's what it represents and it's traditional.

Just saying =)

Speak for yourself...

The man I dated before my ex husband put a 1 carat diamond on my finger it was a H-I, SI1-SI2 quality diamond. I promptly put the thing in the jewelry box. I never wore it. I was scared of losing the diamond because of my career. Plus it did nothing to impress me. I am not a big jewelry girl. Especially not diamonds and etc. I loved my simple Claddagh ring. That meant more to me, and is far more a traditional to me then a diamond.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 77
Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...
Posted: 9/21/2012 4:49:03 PM
Diamonds are overpriced rocks mined by children ... watch Blood Diamonds...you'll never want another one.

There are great alternatives out there...high quality CZ's, white sapphires, lab-created diamonds and Moissanite...that give you the look of a big rock at a price that is more reasonable and without 3rd world child labor. Sounds like she cares more for the ring than the guy so yes, he should run...but because she is shallow and selfish, not because he did anything wrong.
 Love.Notes
Msg: 78
Posted: 9/21/2012 5:46:41 PM
Interesting situation for sure. Although you make her sound like she is not the greatest person in the world and a gold digger tittle is not the best tittle to have with fellow coworkers.. I think the best advice I can give you is to ask her if you love him, it won't matter the size of the ring, or if he paid 2 or 8 grand. Even if she confronts him it's his problem to explain it or and her problem to either accept it or reject it. She sounds like she lacks common sense. If I were her boyfriend I would be more concerned with how she talks about him to others. She makes him look like an as$ by the sounds of it. She doesn't sound like she really loves him then again, if he gave her a ring just to "shut her up" does he really love her?
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2012 11:09:25 PM
Whats sticky?

He knows she is an idiot/money grubber if she wants a huge rock and should have the brains to know she would take it and find out what its worth.
It's what "they" do.

Not buying this story.Sounds like "boots outside the door" again scaring off your suitors .
3 year olds with cell phones.ect ect

I'll take the cash or a BMW..It can be used.
Wahahahahah
 missraven1
Msg: 80
Posted: 9/22/2012 1:03:35 AM
I don't know why people assume he tried to pass it off as a diamond. Suppose he didn't distinguish between a diamond and some other rock, giving little thought to the importance she placed on it's authenticity, only thinking that "she wants a big rock, she wants a big rock" so he forked out what he could afford in terms that. What's worse, a fake rock or being embarrassed by an ugly, cloudy (poor clarity) real diamond that you immediately know is cheap, one of which I've seen on a girl's finger - well if the band has gold in it (if you're into that), it's still better with a fake decent quality rock.
 Coppernicus8184
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2012 6:09:07 AM
She may have already come up with the conclusion that it was fake and didn't want to believe it and just needed someone else to not believe it and prod her to go get it checked out.

Or, this "gold-digger", was force to go get it checked out because she wouldn't want to believe that her guy would buy her a fake ring and she wanted to prove to everyone that she was worth an expensive ring.

Percention is everything.

A beautiful 5 or 6 carat diamond is not cheap, maybe he there was a promise of a real ring when he could afford it? or if she spoke with her fiance, maybe he had an explanation?
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2012 6:37:28 AM
THINK

What woman goes to work and announces to people she doesnt even like or know that well her ring is/could be fake..NAW

She would be showing it off and all that jazz, passing it off as real.

prove to everyone that she was worth an expensive ring.

^^^^^^^^That part I would buy.

She wouldn't do it by exposing that she really thought its fake though.
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 83
Posted: 9/22/2012 9:02:57 AM
Ha, what a b****. A guy gave me a $20 ring once and I knew it was a cheap $20 ring, but I was happy anyway because it was from HIM. The price shouldn't matter; you make of it what you will.
 Indysweetpea
Msg: 84
Posted: 9/22/2012 9:14:52 AM
I have some 5.00 rings I wear all the time because I just like how the ring looks. Who cares how much it costs. If you like it then enjoy it.
 mark777771
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2012 9:37:14 PM
I think he should have given her ring out of a cracker jack box.
 GWSmith
Msg: 86
Posted: 9/22/2012 10:30:43 PM
Its a real ring and a real symbol of devotion even if the stone on it was produced in a lab somewhere. Not everyone can afford a nice shiny hunk of carbon dug out of a hole in the ground. What i think is tacky is people caring about the ring not being good enough. I don't care if it comes out of a 25 cent vending machine its the fact that someone was thinking of ME when they got it and that is what really matters.
 Sasyecats
Msg: 87
Posted: 9/22/2012 11:20:34 PM
Now if I felt it needed to have insurance on it, then yes. But that would most likely be after the wedding. I'd be upset about the need to lie about such a thing, not the low cost.

How did she not have enough sense to figure out on her own he couldn't afford that? I hope for his sake he will realize when she's making expensive wedding plans he's in over his head and bail.
 JvrodZ
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2012 3:38:46 PM
If she never askeded "Is it real"? and he never said "its real"...he's in the clear.
 cautiousluv
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2012 4:31:52 PM

phoenix-55: Right away, my other co-worker says "Are you sure it's real?"

I would find this extremely tacky.

If I received a 5-6 carat diamond ring from a guy I wouldn't be worried if it was real or not....the first thing I would be thinking is there is no way in h*ll I'm going to be responsible for a 5-6 carat diamond ring. As big as a klutz as I am, I wouldn't even be able to enjoy it because I'd be afraid I would lose it. The second thing I would be thinking is what a waste to spend that kind of money on a ring when there are much more practical ways to use that kind of money. JMO
 Googleplus
Msg: 90
Posted: 9/23/2012 5:00:22 PM
For that kinda of money you can buy a woman a nice new car.
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 91
Posted: 9/23/2012 5:51:41 PM
I dont think she knows what real love is....how sad
 Still_Dreaming_in_sc
Msg: 92
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:01:11 PM

For that kinda of money you can buy a woman a nice new car.

so instead of them fawning over a 5c ring it would be 500hp?

Some guys.. awe sorry hun all i could afford is this yugo but its the thought that counts..... while their co-worker flys by her in the Ferrari her boyfriend got her....

Yup its the same ole thing. If you are basing the ring on something purchased many in society will base it on value. Art is better for that purpose not something mass produced.
 Maleman999
Msg: 93
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:32:41 PM
If this woman or any woman feels a need to ask about the stone in a ring, it's fair to ask the same woman if her boobs are real.
 BlokeInSydney
Msg: 94
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:41:35 PM

Apparently she doesn’t realize what’s really worthless is demanding something that should be given freely.

I doubt you'll be able to get through to her, OP. She sounds like a horrible person.

She does sound horrible, doesn't she?

Thankfully I've never been involved with a creature like that and I congratulate the man for enduring her company for so long.

Must be a bit of a masochist.

I suspect all of his worst nightmares are about to descend upon his poor, sorry arse though!
 Lionesse19
Msg: 95
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:53:32 PM
she needs to have it valued for insurance purposes and that she found out that it is a fake should be no surprise given his circumstances. There are many fakes that look the real deal and he had given in to the pressure to come up with a valuable item an d lied about it and that is what aggravates her. She seems to value him and herself by material items. Imagine if they married, she would be demanding this and that and the poor guy would be forever in debt. At her age she should get real about all this sort of thing that hardly matters in the end if you really love someone.
 Pixy Dust
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2012 7:32:45 PM
I don't understand putting a carat requirement on a engagement ring. I do understand after a period of time wondering where the relationship was going if I wanted marriage. And feeling that it was a dead end situation if the conversation seemed to be stringing me along. Lots of factors that we are not privy to in this situation.

Now don't give me a ring and lead me to believe its real if it isn't... that isn't exactly honest... that has nothing to do with being materialistic. If he felt pressure to make it a 5-6 carat he should man up and tell her NO... that is the first financial conversation that should let him know what the future is going to look like. I agree who on earth could afford it???? not many of us I'm sure...
 gcdeb
Msg: 97
Posted: 9/23/2012 8:04:00 PM

I would never accept blood diamonds.
How does one know if the diamonds are 'blood' diamonds? I thought the US had policies in place to try to limit the importation of blood/conflict/war diamonds?
 QueenBeeSweetness
Msg: 98
Posted: 9/23/2012 9:03:04 PM
I would have it appraised for insurance, like others said.

About the ring itself, while i do like fancy jewels, unless he gave it to her with the full knowledge that it was basically costume jewelry, that is tacky to pass it off as a real diamond ring.

He should have just gave her a small affordable ring, you can get a simple small gold band with a small diamond for a couple hundred, if that was not good enough for her, well then, he could say he dodged a bullet. Better than no ring, or passing off dress-up jewelry as the real thing.
 NYCmasterplumber
Msg: 99
Posted: 9/24/2012 9:54:35 AM
Many Years ago I was trying to get inside some lady's crotch and she said only if we are engaged so I took her to a Jeweler on a Friday night just before closing and told her "pick one out" she picked a 2 K diamond platinum wishbone setting

The Jeweler took my personal check which I asked "after the check clears can she pick up the ring" and he said of course.

She and I spent a hell of a week end out side the navy base and all of Monday having a blast. Tues I reported back to my ship

I never went back to Providence Rhode Island as I knew if I had $15.00 in the account it would have been a lot and didn't want the hassle of fighting with the bimbo as I was just 18
 MrNiceGuy976
Msg: 100
Posted: 9/24/2012 10:02:51 AM
What a loser, she knows what she needs to do, just reminder her to do what she thinks she should do..
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...