Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sasyecats
Msg: 76
Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...Page 4 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Now if I felt it needed to have insurance on it, then yes. But that would most likely be after the wedding. I'd be upset about the need to lie about such a thing, not the low cost.

How did she not have enough sense to figure out on her own he couldn't afford that? I hope for his sake he will realize when she's making expensive wedding plans he's in over his head and bail.
 JvrodZ
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...
Posted: 9/23/2012 3:38:46 PM
If she never askeded "Is it real"? and he never said "its real"...he's in the clear.
 Googleplus
Msg: 78
Posted: 9/23/2012 5:00:22 PM
For that kinda of money you can buy a woman a nice new car.
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 79
Posted: 9/23/2012 5:51:41 PM
I dont think she knows what real love is....how sad
 Still_Dreaming_in_sc
Msg: 80
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:01:11 PM

For that kinda of money you can buy a woman a nice new car.

so instead of them fawning over a 5c ring it would be 500hp?

Some guys.. awe sorry hun all i could afford is this yugo but its the thought that counts..... while their co-worker flys by her in the Ferrari her boyfriend got her....

Yup its the same ole thing. If you are basing the ring on something purchased many in society will base it on value. Art is better for that purpose not something mass produced.
 Maleman999
Msg: 81
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:32:41 PM
If this woman or any woman feels a need to ask about the stone in a ring, it's fair to ask the same woman if her boobs are real.
 BlokeInSydney
Msg: 82
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:41:35 PM

Apparently she doesn’t realize what’s really worthless is demanding something that should be given freely.

I doubt you'll be able to get through to her, OP. She sounds like a horrible person.

She does sound horrible, doesn't she?

Thankfully I've never been involved with a creature like that and I congratulate the man for enduring her company for so long.

Must be a bit of a masochist.

I suspect all of his worst nightmares are about to descend upon his poor, sorry arse though!
 Lionesse19
Msg: 83
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:53:32 PM
she needs to have it valued for insurance purposes and that she found out that it is a fake should be no surprise given his circumstances. There are many fakes that look the real deal and he had given in to the pressure to come up with a valuable item an d lied about it and that is what aggravates her. She seems to value him and herself by material items. Imagine if they married, she would be demanding this and that and the poor guy would be forever in debt. At her age she should get real about all this sort of thing that hardly matters in the end if you really love someone.
 gcdeb
Msg: 84
Posted: 9/23/2012 8:04:00 PM

I would never accept blood diamonds.
How does one know if the diamonds are 'blood' diamonds? I thought the US had policies in place to try to limit the importation of blood/conflict/war diamonds?
 QueenBeeSweetness
Msg: 85
Posted: 9/23/2012 9:03:04 PM
I would have it appraised for insurance, like others said.

About the ring itself, while i do like fancy jewels, unless he gave it to her with the full knowledge that it was basically costume jewelry, that is tacky to pass it off as a real diamond ring.

He should have just gave her a small affordable ring, you can get a simple small gold band with a small diamond for a couple hundred, if that was not good enough for her, well then, he could say he dodged a bullet. Better than no ring, or passing off dress-up jewelry as the real thing.
 NYCmasterplumber
Msg: 86
Posted: 9/24/2012 9:54:35 AM
Many Years ago I was trying to get inside some lady's crotch and she said only if we are engaged so I took her to a Jeweler on a Friday night just before closing and told her "pick one out" she picked a 2 K diamond platinum wishbone setting

The Jeweler took my personal check which I asked "after the check clears can she pick up the ring" and he said of course.

She and I spent a hell of a week end out side the navy base and all of Monday having a blast. Tues I reported back to my ship

I never went back to Providence Rhode Island as I knew if I had $15.00 in the account it would have been a lot and didn't want the hassle of fighting with the bimbo as I was just 18
 MrNiceGuy976
Msg: 87
Posted: 9/24/2012 10:02:51 AM
What a loser, she knows what she needs to do, just reminder her to do what she thinks she should do..
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2012 12:23:41 PM
I know a lot of the guys here are bashing her for being a gold digger... but what about the woman that wants to get an appraisal in order to insure the ring? If I had a 5-6 carat diamond, I'd be terrified to wear it in case the gem fell out while it wasn't insured.

If I brought what I thought was a genuine stone into my jeweler's for an appraisal and to ensure the setting was secure only to have him tell me that its fake, I'd be livid.
 im_a_rockstar
Msg: 89
Posted: 9/24/2012 10:10:11 PM

I know a lot of the guys here are bashing her for being a gold digger... but what about the woman that wants to get an appraisal in order to insure the ring? If I had a 5-6 carat diamond, I'd be terrified to wear it in case the gem fell out while it wasn't insured.

If I brought what I thought was a genuine stone into my jeweler's for an appraisal and to ensure the setting was secure only to have him tell me that its fake, I'd be livid.

This should never be that big of a deal to you. If it is, you're not worth the guy's time. You don't deserve him. Caring whether or not a diamond is real is NOT love, it's money.

When it comes to insuring it... Insure the ring. Just because it's not a real diamond, it doesn't mean it's cheap. There's 5 karat cubic zirconia rings for the same price as 5 karat diamond rings. Ofc the cubic is bigger than the diamond to make the price, but it's still an expensive ring.

And that's something else you don't think about.... I can spend $1500 on a ring with a diamond that's about 2mm x 2mm, or spend the same amount on a cubic zirconia ring that's 2mm x 4mm... Do you want the bigger, nicer looking ring, or the one with a stone you can barely see, but it's a real diamond?

Who cares if it's real or not, he got her a ring based on how it looks, not what kind of rock is in it. You people really need to learn to look past whether or not a ring is a real diamond or not. And if you want a decent sized diamond, they average over $10k to match that cubic zirconia from the last example... If you're expecting a rock like that, you really need to come back to reality.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2012 3:13:38 AM

This should never be that big of a deal to you. If it is, you're not worth the guy's time. You don't deserve him. Caring whether or not a diamond is real is NOT love, it's money.
So I should sit back and accept that the person that proposed to me had so little respect for me that he lied? To hell with that...

I cannot believe all the people here condoning his lying.
 Still_Dreaming_in_sc
Msg: 91
Posted: 9/25/2012 4:06:35 AM

I cannot believe all the people here condoning his lying.

The only information posted was from a co-worker of a woman that she stated she didn't even like and whom has not even said if she even knows the boyfriend.

So for any of us to even assume we know the actual events or conversations the woman who got the ring and the boyfriend that gave the ring (If there even is one) would be a bit of a stretch.

For all we know her boyfriend could be as fake as her ring and not even exist. She could have bought the ring herself just so that she would have something going on in her life to bring attention to herself at the office. (kinda like those women that send themselves flowers at work just to draw attention to themselves)

just an opinion.
 Slinkythebadboyswife
Msg: 92
Posted: 9/25/2012 12:59:25 PM
still_dreaming_in_sc

<div class="quote">Nothing says I love you and letting you know what is in store like getting your own propane smelting station and some molds to melt your own precious metals together (which you can get some cool effects mixing things up and not just using gold) and forge your own rings together.

My ex father in law smelted our rings with the help of my husband to be. It was a one day advance notice and they came out beautiful. When our son was married his father made the bands and added precious stones from her families panning /sluicing mine. Her mom tumbled the rocks to make them glow!

Slinky

addendum....
Ok, I have to admit I have read this link with interest because it happened to my sister. She dated this guy in H.S. and he went away to join the military. He came home on his first holiday after boot camp and presented her with a ring. The date was set and my sister said this feels weird (meaning the ring). She took it to the jeweler after he went back to tech school and after he sent her a picture with the other person cut out. (LMAO.....IDIOT) Sure enough it was fake but our family knew and so did her closest friends who promptly threw an engagement party for when Don was supposed to come home. He did... his friends and family were invited as well as my sisters. We all raised our glasses (prearranged) to toast the engagement when my sister dropped it... The letter from the jeweler and a hammer. She struck the ring with the hammer to show a coated plastic core and what was obviously plastic for a gem. LMAO He left shame faced and has not come back to town in ummm 35 yrs?

OP, stand by this girl even though unlikable. This has to be very humiliating for her and if your the better person... show her some empathy, even if she isn't a good person to begin with... you are the better person. Show her some kindness.

Slinky

Addendum 2
Sweetness One ^^^^^ Thank you for saying this!
 meekaxoxo
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2012 2:18:07 PM
The ring was ok as a fake, she went and messed it up by telling everyone it was fake... oh well "a fake for a fake" !
 bamagrl68
Msg: 94
Posted: 9/25/2012 4:00:51 PM
pheonix 55- You got yourself into this one by answering her question.
When asked by a co-worker about opinions on their personal life, the wisest thing to do is to take a pass on commenting at all.
You clearly don't like her and it seems childish to me that you come on a dating website to get us, total strangers, on your side.
Bad form.
This is just one example of the pettiness and childishness SOME women are capable of.
What you need to do is BUTT OUT!
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 95
Posted: 9/25/2012 4:08:00 PM
bamagrl: Well said!

I agree, the OP should have kept her nose out of it all to begin with. The OP doesn't like the said woman and it's coming off as sour grapes and gloating over the engagement gone array.
 Scentous
Msg: 96
Posted: 9/25/2012 4:32:49 PM
The best man to have is the man that you don't need a rock to be with.. he's enough.
 annywn
Msg: 97
Posted: 9/25/2012 5:04:21 PM
Jealous Much?????
 theforumfiend
Msg: 98
Posted: 9/25/2012 7:06:53 PM

The woman was thrilled to get the ring, how ever it came about because again we don't know them and we don't know their private conversations, the woman never thought about getting it appraised until a couple of nosy co-workers who hate the woman so loved making fun of her and her thrill over the ring, caused her to doubt the man's gift and guess what, the gift was not what he pretended it to be.

She may be a gold digger but then he's with her, he's getting something out of it, no one is forcing him to stay. Yet here are post after post calling her names while he's a poor poor pitiful nice guy being used but he got her back by treating her like a joke, same as her co-workers.

You clearly don't like her and it seems childish to me that you come on a dating website to get us, total strangers, on your side.
Bad form.
This is just one example of the pettiness and childishness SOME women are capable of.
What you need to do is BUTT OUT!

Thank you ladies. I couldn't have said it better.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 99
Posted: 9/25/2012 7:38:43 PM
Irish Eyez- Thanks. I grew up with all boys, back then I thought I missed out, now I realize it gave me a better perspective of how awful it is for women to tear other women down for no reason.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 100
Posted: 9/27/2012 1:03:52 PM
bamagirl, the post wasn't about whether or not I liked this woman. There's no "jealousy" as another poster said. It was only about whether you'd have a ring checked for authenticity. I'm not sure how you got "trying to get people on my side" from that. And what could I possibly gain by "getting people on my side" if I were in fact trying to do that? Talk about childish. Perhaps you just lacked comprehension of my post or maybe you just like putting your personal spin on things to make yourself look better?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...