Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...Page 7 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Who said he let her believe it was real?
Well, if he didn't, then why would she go to the jeweller to check to see if it was or wasn't?
I think I can help with im_a_rockstar's misinterpretation.

While it is understood in most circles that an engagement ring is to contain genuine stones (i.e. not imitation of the stones they're meant to portray), it's obvious that in im_a_rockstar's world, substituting genuine stones with cheap imitations is de rigueur.
 stayinalivefl
Msg: 154
Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...
Posted: 10/1/2012 10:07:15 AM
It's a good way on his part to check on her gold diggerness,lol.
I think rings should be upgraded as time goes on. The wedding industry like veterinarians prey on emotions.
 arghhhh1234
Msg: 155
Posted: 10/13/2012 6:19:23 PM
Lol...sorry the situation is funny
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 156
Posted: 10/13/2012 6:28:43 PM
The fact is, he bought a fake ring, and made it seem like it was real. Thats kinda fishy in the first place. Doesn't make her a gold digger.
 im_a_rockstar
Msg: 157
Posted: 10/13/2012 9:15:41 PM
Well, if he didn't, then why would she go to the jeweller to check to see if it was or wasn't?

SHE DIDN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was only after someone questioned it. Until that point, we don't know what happened between her and the guy.

While it is understood in most circles that an engagement ring is to contain genuine stones (i.e. not imitation of the stones they're meant to portray), it's obvious that in im_a_rockstar's world, substituting genuine stones with cheap imitations is de rigueur.

http://www.ziamond.com/matchingsets.html

Just because it's not a real diamond, it doesn't mean it's cheap. How do you know the ring in the OP isn't from that set of 2 rings for $4,000? http://www.ziamond.com/trsc.html

A high karat cubic zirconia is NOT a cheap gem. You girls really need to get this idea out of your heads. And REAL diamonds aren't realistic. If some of the rings on that page I linked you were real, you'd be paying over $10k for them. They're considered a luxury and a sign of wealth for a reason.

And I should point out, that on that site, there's bracelets and chains that get close to $5k. If the girl in the OP showed up with a big stone on her ring, odds are it wasn't a real diamond, but it wasn't necessarily cheap. It actually might have cost more than a ring with a real but smaller diamond in it.
 Confuzzled4ever
Msg: 158
Posted: 10/13/2012 9:28:10 PM
Yes she did..quoted from the very 1st post
~~~
So she goes to a jeweler at lunch and guess what? It's FAKE. It's beautiful, but it's not a real diamond.
~~~
The point is he lied about it. He let her believe it was something it was not. It's a lie. Whether it was a cheap fake, a cheap gem or a not so cheap fake or gem is secondary to that.
 im_a_rockstar
Msg: 159
Posted: 10/13/2012 9:35:55 PM
confuzzled... PLEASE, show me where it says that he told her it was a diamond, where she ever mentioned that she expected a diamond, where it said they had any conversation at all about the stone in the ring, etc.

You're adding your own details to the story. For all we know, she just assumed something and was wrong. Maybe he even told her it was fake, but she wasn't paying attention because she was focused on the being engaged part. You don't know these details, stop adding your own to the story.
 Confuzzled4ever
Msg: 160
Posted: 10/13/2012 9:42:45 PM
If a man proposed to me, and offered me a ring that resembled a diamond I would think it was a diamond. So will ANY women, unless a conversation was had prior to that so she knows what kind of stone it is. Otherwise the man should TELL her what kind of stone it is. If not, it is a lie. I'm not adding to the story. I can understand context clues. The woman in question clearly thought it was a diamond or why would she "go to a jeweler to check" at the mere suggestion that it's not and then be upset (as inferred by the context clues). I mean come on. This is common sense and even my son can figure things out by understanding context clues. They are very important in story telling.

Also it doesn't matter when she went to the jeweler. If she's smart she'd have it appraised. Would it be better for her to find out that he lied then?

edit:
No.. most guys would have had a conversation with her prior to asking where they discussed the ring, including what he was able to afford, what she wanted, what he wanted and what was expected by all. I would ask if it's a real diamond or not as there are certain places I might not even want to wear my engagement ring if it was a real stone. It would not be my next question, but i'd eventually ask. For someone who is so "equal this, equal that" you're awful quick to judge.
 im_a_rockstar
Msg: 161
Posted: 10/13/2012 9:48:21 PM
When a guy is proposing to you, do you want the first thing he says immediately after you give him an answer to be "btw, that's not a real diamond"?

He didn't tell her because it didn't matter. Assuming he never said anything to her about if it's real or fake, then it's her own fault that she didn't find out until she went to the jeweler, cuz she could have just asked... ofc, most guys, even if the diamond was real, would probably almost immediately dump you for caring that much about what kind of stone it is, and not what it symbolizes.
 Scared888
Msg: 162
Posted: 10/13/2012 11:55:36 PM
Um he doesnt care about her at all.
What kind of an idiot get s girl a fake diamond for an engagement ring?
Id be cutting body parts off in his sleep.
 Dili_gent
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2012 7:50:52 PM
"Dahling I luv you, but give me Park Avenue."

Tell her to look our for Arnold the pig. I hear he bites!
 im_a_rockstar
Msg: 164
Posted: 10/14/2012 8:29:32 PM

What kind of an idiot get s girl a fake diamond for an engagement ring?
Id be cutting body parts off in his sleep.

What do you gold diggers want? A really really small diamond, or a big cubic zirconia that you can show off?

When you women buy us men $5-10k gifts, then you'll get your real diamonds. The price of a diamond engagement ring is pretty high.

At least someone is finally stepping up and showing that yes, love has a price tag
 Habs_Fan13
Msg: 165
Posted: 10/15/2012 6:14:33 PM
That's terrible, people are so focused on the ring, maybe if they actually focus on the marriage the divorce rate wouldn't be so ridiculously high. The ring shouldn't be what matters.
 marybuckeye
Msg: 166
Posted: 10/15/2012 6:43:10 PM

The ring shouldn't be what matters.

I don't care if it comes out of a 25 cent vending machine its the fact that someone was thinking of ME when they got it and that is what really matters.

Yep... my sentiments exactly.
 Confuzzled4ever
Msg: 167
Posted: 10/15/2012 7:58:48 PM
But what if he proposed and it looked just like a diamond and you thought it was and he let you. Then you go to have it appraised only to be told it was gotten out of a vending machine? Would you not be upset that he lied?

That's the problem with it.

vvvvvvvvvvv
Omitting the truth is a lie. Knowingly letting someone believe something is true that is not true is a lie. He let her believe it was real. Ergo he lied.
 playfulpete
Msg: 168
Posted: 10/15/2012 8:03:59 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^But he never lied to her.
 chameleonf
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2012 8:40:08 PM
But what if he proposed and it looked just like a diamond and you thought it was and he let you. Then you go to have it appraised only to be told it was gotten out of a vending machine? Would you not be upset that he lied?

That's the problem with it.

I'd be upset if he spent a schwack for a ring that could have been had for the price of one that could have been bought from a vending machine, and yet I couldn't tell the difference. If a woman can't tell the difference unless the ring is inspected, what does it matter as long as it's not turning your finger green and the stone is getting smaller every time it gets wet. Which is more the fake - the ring or the woman?

Is it important for valuation purposes for insurance or is it important because you place your self-worth on a bauble that you can't even tell is a diamond or not? Price and authenticity is only a concern if you place your value of a relationship on the value expended on you or what you might be able to sell it for, not the intent of the symbolism. Seems to me materialism is still alive and well at the same time people complain about the economy - go figure.
 Confuzzled4ever
Msg: 170
Posted: 10/15/2012 8:51:49 PM
I would only accept a diamond if he could actually afford one and there is actually something else i'd like better. But I'd be ticked if he presented me a ring (diamond or not) and lead me to believe or let me believe it was something it was not. Lies start little and grow. I'd wonder what else he's hiding or would hide from me or it could plant seeds of distrust subconsciously. You may not even know they are there. It's not about the diamond itself. It's about him misleading her into believing something that was untrue and honestly, that's a pretty large lie.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 171
Posted: 10/15/2012 9:22:22 PM
I think this should be a reality tv show.

When fake rings go wrong
 im_a_rockstar
Msg: 172
Posted: 10/16/2012 9:20:28 AM
Confuzzled, you're still only assuming that he gave her any reason at all to believe that the diamond was real. You keep adding your own details to the story.

And second, who gives someone an engagement ring and then tells them if it's real or not? How many women actually care? An engagement ring is a symbol of your engagement, that's all the ring is supposed to mean to the other person. Whether or not it's a real diamond should be the last thing on your mind.

The girl from the OP, and a lot of you in this thread, are just gold diggers, and they obviously didn't deserve the guy from the OP's story.
 Maleman999
Msg: 173
Posted: 10/16/2012 9:24:34 AM

The girl from the OP, and a lot of you in this thread, are just gold diggers...

More precisely, they are gold and diamond diggers.
 Fleuron
Msg: 175
Posted: 10/16/2012 10:47:31 AM
Since we’re making irrelevant bashing generalizations….a lot of you guys in this thread are lying cheapskates. :)
 skwizle
Msg: 176
Posted: 10/16/2012 10:49:24 AM
anybody who cares if its a man-made diamond or dug up diamond is shalloooooow. good greif, its still a diamond get over yourself woman. she works, did she buy HIM a diamond? pathetic sexist crap in this day and age.
 DreamRaven
Msg: 177
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2012 7:26:18 PM
IMO~pricing is diffent everywhere when it comes to jewerly but at the same time regardless if a ring is real or fake or half real half fake, if the stone is real or fake, no one has failed to realize that no retail store of any kind would sell one of a kind unique rings, unless custom designed or made by your own 2 hands other than choosing the stone of your choice, its just all rings are mass produced and all stones after mining or lab created are mass produced in design or cut and after someone buys a ring the jeweler will put the exact same ring back on display. anyways i have to agree with some of the posters that if 2 people really truely do love each other than it shouldn't matter what kind of ring it is, love should hold a higher symbol rather some piece of jewelry that is there for materialistic reasoning. i could go out and buy a ring that has both black and white diamonds in it and they would be accented as in very tiny to just chips of what was leftover but in the end a ring is just a ring unless your shelling out over $200-$500 for it which is kinda stupid when there is no telling if and when a relationship would end and then either the ring was given back or the woman keeps its and your out of that money and the ring itself. bottom line is women and men need to stop focusing on something that will lose its value and its meaning if the relationship comes to an end. As i've said before i could go to walmart and buy a very pretty ring for under $100 and it would be just perfect and she'll love it but she will not be "in love" with it , if she choosing to love something materialistic over the person she is with than its not worth the relationship to be with her and any guy should know this.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...