Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Museum dates - a game of Follow Me?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 easterparadehat
Msg: 38
Museum dates - a game of Follow Me?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I don't care what the situation is, romantic, friends or with family. I don't go antiquing and to museums with anyone. My thrill is that I can spend the whole day looking and buying what I want. I don't have to worry about someone else energy or boredom levels.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 39
Museum dates - a game of Follow Me?
Posted: 7/28/2014 7:33:19 AM

Posted by NikonGuy007:
"I also love bookstores, always have. I can stay in a bookstore for hours. Typically, in the past, when I went to a bookstore with a girlfriend, she went to look for what interested her. I went to look for what interested me, and after an hour or two, we just kinda' found each other, but we were not there walking around holding hands. Granted, that wasn't a "date", but the concept is the same: We're here together, we may have different sub-interests, but we are "alone together" or "together alone", we are leaving together, and on the drive home or at dinner, we can discuss what we came across."

This is very likely precisely what was happening with the museum date the OP described.
One might find his/her date on the opposite side of the room, yet they are still there together enjoying the art.

Silently disappearing to drive away while the guy is probably searching the museum for her?
What the OP did there is seriously childish. The equivalent of taking her toys and going home in a tantrum.
She could have just as easily said, "Let's finish seeing the rest of this museum together so we can go get ice cream!"
 HondoGal
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/28/2014 10:10:01 AM

What's the point in going together if not to discuss the exhibits? If you were staring at one exhibit for ages it might be ok to look around, but within eyesight -just disappearing seems rude to me.

+1

I love going to museums, art exhibits with others. I am interested in what their opinion of the exhibits are and to some extent what they can teach me about them or perhaps I can tell them something that they did not know.

The way the OP described the guy’s behavior was rude…almost as though he did not want to be seen with her. IMO she was not wrong in walking out; another way I might have handled it would have been to say to him, “Obviously you prefer being here by yourself; I’m leaving”.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/28/2014 11:32:45 AM
This is largely why I don't much like going to museums and art galleries with other people, particularly people I don't know very well. I'm either being rushed away from something I find fascinating or expected to stand around spending time at an exhibit that doesn't interest me very much. When the people I'm with aren't interested in the things that interest me, I ditch them and meet back up with them later on.

The ideal situation is to go to something like that with someone who has a clue about what you are seeing. Then you can share thoughts, ideas and feelings about the various subjects on display. Sometimes people agree to go to a museum because think they should, then spend the entire time trying to get out again. My guess is that these are the people most often getting ditched and spend their time wandering around looking for their friends.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Museum dates - a game of Follow Me?