Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Vipassana Meditation      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RussArtLover
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Vipassana MeditationPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I call it deprogramming when I'm alone with my thoughts. It's human nature to try to make sense from daily experiences but if they include TV or associating with people that watch a lot of TV then the mind gets programmed with unnatural information. A trip to the park to sit by the river or just going for a drive on a lonely freeway was usually my most efficient way to deprogram, clear my head, get my smile back. Didn't always work of course, probably why I drink alone, help it along. I'd never try anyone elses discipline because I sensed I would be manipulated or RE-programmed instead of DE-programmed. My nirvana.
 DameWrite
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 2/6/2013 11:39:05 PM
I don't focus, I just open up and allow my being to be shared, tingled, tuned, passed through, swelled, lifted, made buoyant... My breathing is like not breathing but almost a giving it up and sharing as if I stopped fighting for life and peacefully drowned.

No control. No ego. Allowing the energy to find it's way, through me around me...

I don't know what to call it, so I call it Ekawa

Always done outside, body exposed to the elements. In fresh water or sea or on the earth, air all around.
 _shakti_
Msg: 28
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 2/9/2013 10:01:33 AM
See that's awesome, I think there are many ways to meditate.. and all are beneficial :)

So I applied for the next retreat in April, but I haven't received acceptance yet (although a friend of mine did after just two days!) and the teacher who lives a province away, called to ask questions about my application.. sounds intense!

I'm betting it's because I admitted I still practice kundalini yoga/meditation. They like to keep their style pure and unmixed. Hopefully they still let me in though.
 ManhHeartLove
Msg: 29
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 2/13/2013 4:30:12 PM
yes have a pal who does the 2 week retreat each summer yes i have some info on the prison program Vipassana love to pass it on to you.
 ManhHeartLove
Msg: 30
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 2/13/2013 4:35:35 PM
do follow the middle road beauty road pureland school of buddhism too quan shih yin quiet heart meditation too heart diamond lotus path too .
 ManhHeartLove
Msg: 31
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 2/13/2013 4:36:45 PM
Qi gong daoism too to empty the empty pure emptiness
 ManhHeartLove
Msg: 32
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 2/13/2013 4:37:33 PM
to slow the fast mind and body down the chinese call the restless monkey mind. wu wei no me .
 ManhHeartLove
Msg: 33
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 2/13/2013 4:40:32 PM
my qi gong teacher taught to smile with the heart the inner smile to use the mind to correct the mind.. TCM when i was at a buddhist mountain in china my chinese guide told me the red characters written on the face of the buddhist mountain said a buddhist saying..... to clean the heart and wash the mind.... so simple yet so hard
 _shakti_
Msg: 34
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 2/14/2013 3:59:20 PM

yes have a pal who does the 2 week retreat each summer
Where is that at? The longest option locally for me is the 10 day retreat. I have heard that some people travel to do longer retreats though.

Do you practice this style of meditation yourself?

yes i have some info on the prison program
Have you seen the documentaries on it?

There are two (that I know of) in the works in Canada, I asked about starting something local on my last retreat, will do so again during my next one in April.

Btw... for anyone who has a regular practice and a smart phone, insight timer app is absolutely amazing. I seriously couldn't live without it anymore!
 _shakti_
Msg: 35
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 2/25/2013 11:24:16 AM
^^ I'm curious what all of that has to do with meditation?
 Albvs
Msg: 36
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 2/25/2013 4:32:23 PM

Within my first couple weeks of meditating, I got to the point where my whole body would tingle intensely and I felt like I didn't weigh anything.

Sounds like you were beginning to have an OOB experience but you freaked and snapped back.
 _shakti_
Msg: 37
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 2/26/2013 8:25:57 AM
^^5 of them, wow! I'm curious, were any particularly more powerful?

I spoke with some of the old students and they practically all said that the first was the most intense.

I can't wait to serve! I would have this time, but feel I need to ground myself in the practice a bit more before I serve as some kind of an example to others.

I find the two, one hour sits a bit too much.. with shift work and being a single mom, so I do a half an hour daily. I figure as long as I have a daily practice, I can at least build on it later.
 _shakti_
Msg: 38
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 3/1/2013 4:26:21 AM
What I found boring, were the three days of anapana.. I had no idea that a new technique would be taught eventually, so I imagined the rest of my time being consumed by nothing but incessant nostril breathing, and it made me want to scream!! Lol.. especially when people around me decided to fart..... kinda difficult to be equanimous about that!

I felt really vulnerable after, but totally renewed. I just wish that I didn't have to go home to a bunch of negative experiences. I wasn't really prepared for that and it brought me down fairly quickly. I'm hoping for a different after-experience this time.

Although, I suppose that isn't very equanimous of me, lol..

Did you notice changes/upsets in your life following the retreats you did?
 _shakti_
Msg: 39
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 3/4/2013 9:10:49 AM
Thanks for sharing that Sure Dance :) Some people always talk in such totally glowing terms... you know, like 'when I got home, I fell into my most perfect job and everything has been just wonderful since!' And that is how it is presented in Goenka's talks too. I mean that's great, I'm happy for them, but it most definitely wasn't my experience. And I realize it isn't all that good to compare, but it's still nice to hear from others who didn't fall into their perfect life immediately after their first 10 day retreat, lol..

I didn't fight with anyone after, probably because I was so vulnerable.. everything hit me way harder emotionally than it would normally have. I guess because my ordinary defence mechanisms were down. I suppose in that sense it was a good thing, to learn to deal with things as I truly am. Not hiding behind intellectualizations or whatever else.

I'm not going to pretend it was easy though. So equanimous or not, this time around I'm hoping for a smoother entry back into life!

Even this whole dating thing... seem really foreign... like it's a waste of time.
I've been there for a long time really, am just now coming out of it.

There comes a point when, due to personal experiences, there is no more stopping not without feeling that something was left unfinished.
I've been meditating daily (barring a couple missed days here and there) for over a year now. It's not something I could just stop. And I plan to do retreats (and serve) regularly. I can't imagine life without it anymore.

People have asked me how I have benefitted from it, and it's really difficult to explain or quantify. But the best I can say is that I just feel more ME... more in touch, in the flow.. the efforts are most definitely worth it.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 40
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 3/4/2013 2:27:54 PM
Sir_Dance_A_Lot

Live the moment
without expecting results from the moment.
when you can do that....
you will be free.

If we told you to expect this or to do that
on your spiritual path
it would not be useful to you.

Sometimes meditation brings me inner peace.
Sometimes it's just inner noise.
Kindof like when I wake up.
Sometimes birds are singing.
Sometimes I wake up to annoying car alarms.

Being indifferent to either
allows me to enjoy whatever the day brings.
 _shakti_
Msg: 41
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 3/4/2013 2:46:55 PM
^^ But Stray, it was me who was talking about expectations, not him, lol.. and I acknowledged my lack of equanimity in that desire as well.

I can't help wanting a smoother transition back to the world after my upcoming retreat. But hey, you don't always get what you want, and I'm willing to accept that too. It's not like you can fight reality.. for long, lol..
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 42
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 3/4/2013 2:54:44 PM
It's easy to be spiritual on top of the mountain of bliss.
Less so in the valley of annoying people always stepping on your toes.

but when you feel the joy in both places,
you are there.

The retreat is not your practice.
Your day2day is.
:-)
 _shakti_
Msg: 43
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 3/4/2013 3:15:04 PM
And yet, my feelings remain the same..... despite your admonition of them, lol.. :)

Have you ever done a retreat Stray Cat?

If not, it's quite an experience and tends to alter your day2day in very unexpected ways.......
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 44
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 3/4/2013 3:34:07 PM
You know I have not.
(from other threads)

So I just work on my daily stuff.
All I can do.

Glad you can bring joy back from the mountain.
That is the whole point.
:-)
 _shakti_
Msg: 45
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 3/4/2013 3:39:47 PM

All I can do.
Nope!!
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 46
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 3/4/2013 9:26:27 PM
I am not enlightened so am not an authority on Freedom
or Liberation.
However I am told that the moment you think you have it known
or defined....
keep looking cus you do not.

The hardest part of my own mediation(other than leg cramps)
Is letting the moment arise on it's own.
Without needing it to be bliss or peace.
This or that.
Just let it be.
Just dissolve into it.

Sometimes when I get there....
I think neato!
and that blows it.
I am back at the beginning.

I guess that is why it is called a meditation practice.
If we were perfect in it,
we'd be a Buddha already.
:-P
 _shakti_
Msg: 47
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 3/5/2013 8:36:32 PM
^^ Well said.

The retreats are REALLY intensive. The 'acceleration' happens quickly and needs a 'solid stable base' (Sila) and continued practice to maintain it. For me I feel that it's just a matter of proper intention, if that makes any sense. Though I am not 'enlightened' I am certainly much lighter than I was when I first started this journey.
Once again I agree. I had already been meditating daily for almost a year and had done another much longer meditation retreat prior to the vipassana one, but it still stirred a bunch up. I can see now how it was like the tower card (tarot reference).. where everything false comes crumbling down all at once. Kind of like Kali energy at play.. savagely ripping your ego attachments to shreds.. with love :)

I see it's necessity now, so I suppose there's no sense hoping for a gentler trip back into life..

Do you find it got lighter and lighter each time?
 martinswain
Msg: 48
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 3/5/2013 9:44:57 PM
Hi, I've been studying Theraveda Buddhism & doing vipassana meditation for a few years. In other words, I'm still a rank beginner. You did the Goenka retreat? I've heard good things about it, I passed though. My teacher is Gil Fronsdal from IMS. You can find it online at Insight Meditation Center. They offer a 6 week intro course that I've done 3 times, mostly because it's the only online course they offer and I live about 1000 miles away. I hope to get down there for a proper retreat this summer.

I've listened to lots of teachers who teach in prison, sounds scary to me. There is also a thread of hospice work in my particular tradition, I'm afraid I'll be asked to do that one day, I really hope not I don't think I could take it.

I also studied, and continue to practice to this day, shamata meditation. I've heard many vipassana teachers play it down, and 2 of my vipassana mentors kind of scolded me for it but I don't care, 2 teachers I love very much, Jetsun Kandro & Victoria Austin, taught it to me and I will continue to do it until the day I die, or until it unfolds into complete vipassana practice, whichever comes first.
 _shakti_
Msg: 49
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 3/5/2013 10:02:11 PM
^^ Well hey, if you are interested in something more local, you can't get any closer than this:

http://courses.dhamma.org/en/schedules/schkaruna

And I highly recommend the course, the fact that it's free doesn't exactly hurt either. The food is also absolutely fantastic!

I worked at a jail for a few years, and enjoy working with that population for some reason, so being an assistant teacher or something for a course at a prison would be awesome to me. Obviously I have a ways to go before I get to that point, but it would make me very happy.

I've never heard of shamata meditation.. what does that entail?
 Taoistic1
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Vipassana Meditation
Posted: 3/6/2013 9:39:07 PM
Hmm. Boring, nostrils, scream, farts, and then, a Wish to not go home to bunch of negative experiences.

It seems clear to me you know what isn't "meditation" now. So let's just let all that flow by as it will, whenever and wherever it will.

What's left?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Vipassana Meditation