Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Spiritual, what does it mean to you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 15
Spiritual, what does it mean to you?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
It means being yourself and going against conventional thinking
 femaleconnection
Msg: 16
Spiritual, what does it mean to you?
Posted: 10/3/2012 7:12:09 AM
For myself, it is that I believe there is a higher 'power' or 'energy', greater than what we as humans see on this planet...but I dont know all of the answers yet, and am still seeking the 'truth'. I have accepted, it may not be my place to know 'the truth' but I am open to it if it ever presents itself to me.

I respect my planet and my fellow living beings who need this planet to survive.

I dont follow any organised religion-I dont need a promise of heaven, or the threat of hell to 'do right' by others... but I do believe there is more to this existance.

I honor the seasons changing, and give thanks spiritually/mentally that I am alive and well enough to prosper in these changes. I am aware of my actions and most possible consequences before I proceed. I mean no harm.

I value love over 'things' and dont watse my time in persuit of empty gains or things I cant take with me when Im gone.

I guess some could say I fall more into indiginous beliefs and Im perfectly fine with that. I call it spiritual.
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/3/2012 7:17:31 AM
I think Ann sums it up perfectly.

For me, it's also paying attention to your intuition and how things "feel" to guide you.

A lot of my sensitivity is a pain in the bum, but when it comes to sex, omg is it amazing, especially with someone who lowers their guard during it long enough to connect with me on that spiritual level.
 webmdtech
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2012 7:45:24 AM

For those that use the term Spiritual, what does it mean to you?

It almost a cliche used too many times.

For me:
I know it has nothing to do with God, more about knowing what is right and wrong morally but at the same time knowing there is some greater power in the world that controls it all and looks after everything and everyone.

Religion is for people who fear hell; Spirituality is for people who've been to hell.
 OutMind
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/3/2012 8:08:44 AM

There are those who wait under Mt Sinai to be told what is what.
And there are those who climb Mt Sinai to see for themselves what is what.

Waiting is religious.
climbing is spiritual.

This is awesome. My beliefs are Buddhists. And one of the main teachings is to question everything and accept what resonates with your inner self. When you use a term as spiritual it means that you do not want to attach names to the source. You can simply call it the "ultimate causation" or as others have called it "the unmanifested" and you will find that pass the dogma, pass the rituals, all religions at the center are the same.
 Vannili
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2012 7:44:49 PM
Spiritual means to me is uplifting my self to a higher level phase of showing much of refinement of thought and feeling. When I already met my basic needs of food and shelter....
 Maleman999
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/3/2012 8:01:53 PM

Msg 30: To me it means believing that there is a greater power, a greater truth or reality, than is perceived by the five senses, and valuing its importance or power.

What's the difference between this view and religion? The only difference I can sees is religion is putting a name to this mystery power, and spiritual power is a no-name brand.

Msg 37: Religion serves many purposes, but I think the main reason people adhere to any religion is that it generally lessens one's worries and gives one a purpose in life.

I guess this is a reason I'm not into religion. Praying and bible reading has not magically lessened my worries or suddenly given me a reason for living. I think the purpose of religion is to prey on people's fear of death. Religion preaches that death really isn't death. Life on earth is just a practice run for eternal life in the heavens, as long as you believe in it and financially support your local church. Otherwise, you end up in eternal Hell.

elenmascarado213
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 1:51:10 AM
If we look at webster dictionary means feelings & emotions in the greek means feelings in ancient hebrew means the same
but from the beginning the translation change as something ghostly , entity, something deep peace of power but unfortunatly Is as simple as our feelings as i stated but most exsalt by pride pretence but the reality we all have it and is usualy recognize by the level of our narcissistic actions although most of the masses is what they Identify the ghostly, entity ect most dont realize our well being has to do with our conscience the more we care about others the more we change how we feel ONE OF THE STRONGEST TOOL TO DEVELOP Is our mind in order to do this we need to QUESTION OUR OWN THOUGHT PROCESS as we continue to exercise our thought process we begin to sharpen our logic reasoning & common sense and were able to rationalize our actions and identify our considerations and our defects
between selfishness & selflessness creating a deeper conscience of a spirituality that is not full of shit they say we need to be honest with ourselves but most dont know how to and recognize honesty thats the problem that develops twisted pride arrogance & pretence that only know how to control from couples to political views & religious misunderstandings
 abmccray
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 5:54:04 AM

Spirituality to me is the ability to retain an open mind and accept that you don't know it all... also for me it refers to being kind to all things whether it be a snail or a person... basic caring and open mindedness/open heartedness

I retain an open mind and have had an experience that suggests to me that there is something out there... i have no need for my views to be accepted - they're mine and i own them.

just as a side dish for the thread ... wisdom is the ability to accept that there is more you don't know than you do twisted slightly from Plato

This is a false dilemma to try to give some weight to being irrational.

The difference between believing in the proven and the unproven is not "keeping an open mind" or not. The difference is being rational and irrational.

This isn't a knock against beliefs - EVERYONE has an irrational belief in something or other. The issue is the lame attempt to make oneself seem more tolerant for doing so, where that isn't the case at all.

It's kind of like the popular distinction between athiest/agnostic/theist, in which people say "I'm agnostic" to try and sound like they are "open minded." When, in reality, agnostic is the least open-minded stance of the three (Agnostic, derived from the Gnostics, refers to the belief that "the truth can never be known," which is ridiculous. What people are actually describing when they are saying "there could be higher beings" is Atheism in most cases, since Atheism just means "I don't actively believe in a higher power," normally via lack of proof.).

As an example - were one to ask me, "do you believe in aliens?" I'd say no. If they ask "could there be living beings on other planets," I'd say, "yes, it's highly probable." That distinction is important, and shows how someone processes information. Is that conclusion not open minded?

Were things like magic or ki or gods or wood elves or Gaia proven to even the slightest modicum of any standard, then most, if not all of the people that are not believers in those things would be. Those people just don't have an active belief in that without actual proof (utilizing the scientific method and understanding logical fallacies - since that's basically the best way humans have of reaching conclusions about anything). Science is probably the most open-minded thing ever because it actively -searches- to find new things or attempt to prove new ideas and understandings of the universe.

That's why "spirituality" = "irrational" to me - it's an irrational mindset by default to actively believe in the unproven. And people that make those kind of jumps about something like this normally have problems making rational connections in most day to day activities/conversations as well, from my experience, making conversing with them a pain.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/4/2012 11:49:31 AM
Yoda saying "You will spear it".

I don't know, I got nothin'.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2012 7:23:52 AM
To me, it means someone who doesn't have an actual religion. So they make up their own little idea of what they want their god to be like. A synonym would be "idolarty"

It could also mean someone who grabs onto whatever superstitious notion come and go.
"Tossed to and fro by every wind of doctorine".
 LustyKiss
Msg: 26
Posted: 10/6/2012 10:37:31 AM
When someone says that to me the person is in dire need of Psychiatric attention. Those people hide their messed up mind behind the spiritual nametag. Just like Jesus freaks they walk to the beat of a different drummer. Can you say Paxil?
 nipoleon
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2012 1:32:23 AM
Spiritualism is nothing more than the recognition that there are different levels of existance in the cosmos.

We humans exist on our particular level.
Plankton in the ocean, live on another level. Plankton have no clue about us on our level.

There may be other beings who live on another ( higher level perhaps ) who view us the same way we view plankton.
And, we have no more idea of them than plankton does of us.

It may be possible to move from one level to another, but I don't know for sure.
 LennyPane
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2012 7:48:04 AM
Religion is for people who fear going to hell. Spirituality is for people who have already been there. It's about inner peace, and you don't know peace until you have suffered.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Spiritual, what does it mean to you?