Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Astrology      Home login  
 AUTHOR
AstrologyPage 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I like that hair. The upside down pic. Now THAT'S what I call hair! Rock on with that. Always wish I had some like that. All sticking up and wild.
 fireflybetty32
Msg: 27
Astrology
Posted: 11/11/2012 9:18:26 AM

I like that hair. The upside down pic. Now THAT'S what I call hair! Rock on with that. Always wish I had some like that. All sticking up and wild.

My hair thinks gravity is a suggestion rather than a law. :p
Astrology
Posted: 11/16/2012 1:15:21 AM
And you're the same person who said in another thread that you teach your students that creationism/ID deserves equal consideration as the Theory of Biological Evolution. Eeww.
Astrology
Posted: 11/16/2012 4:27:47 PM
So you don't literally teach your students that creationism/id is equal to Evolutionary Theory?
 fireflybetty32
Msg: 30
Astrology
Posted: 11/16/2012 8:38:34 PM
This thread used to be so fun.... :(
 chrono1985
Msg: 31
Astrology
Posted: 11/16/2012 9:48:00 PM
Horoscopes are so random that if you base your life around them your in for a fall. Just pick up a few different sources of horoscopes and you'll see just how random they are.

The in-depth readings are usually done in much the same manner as cold-reading. The star stuff is just to provide a distraction from what's really happening to you when you go in for a reading. If you don't understand what cold-reading is, please do some research on it as there are a lot of con artist out there using it to take advantage of people. Not saying all cold-reading is bad, it really depends on how that information is being used.

Astrology and Astronomy were once the same field, a field trying to make sense out of the specs of lights we see in the sky. However Astrology arose in a time when people still believe that the stars in the sky were gods and their family. When some Astrologist began to investigate the possibilities that the stars in the sky were not gods but bodies of matter, Astronomy was born due to how hip it had became to have an Astrologist.

Throughout history rulers would punish their Astrologist, typically with death, if their predictions weren't accurate. Very few rulers had the same Astrologist throughout their entire reign, most went through them at alarming rates.

Originally Astrology was done based off which gods (stars) were of importance according to the sky. Despite the short lists you often hear about, there were a crap ton of gods for just about everything that could possibly happen to you. Eventually the evidence that stars were not gods but indeed bodies of matter got too large to support the many gods paradigm and Astronomy changed as a result, this is where it gets really funky.

There is no universal constellations for the entire world. Just about every country has their own set with very few overlaps between them despite the same sky being visible depending upon your latitude. You only really hear about a couple sets of those, typically the US/European and Chinese sets, but there are hundreds if not thousands of sets.

Gravity is incredibly weak over long distances. It's been proven over and over again that it's the product of two masses over the distance between them. Distances between the Earth and Moon is ridiculously big, the difference of mass between you and the moon is also ridiculously big, there just isn't any way for it to affect. The only reason the moon's gravitational pull affects the ocean is because the ocean is huge.

If you really want to see how weak gravity is:
1) Fill a container with roughly 40 liters of water (average content of water for a human male).
2) Wait until local low-tide.
3) Drop some dye into the water gently, try to minimize the ripples you produce.
4) Wait until the next low-tide.
5) Look at the walls of the container to see how much the water has risen during high-tide.

But gravity description of Astrology is a moot point. Gravity wasn't even understood until well after Astrology was invented. Back when if you suggested the Earth was round you would be the laughing stock of town.
 LennyPane
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 11/16/2012 10:25:17 PM
If I was born a month later I would be agreeing with OP. Damn if I have any control in my outlook/personality...
 Sassafrass61
Msg: 33
Astrology
Posted: 11/17/2012 10:39:35 AM
Try numerology and rune stones for a variety
Astrology
Posted: 11/17/2012 1:29:13 PM
I think there's a zodiac system somewhere in which I'm a pretty pretty butterfly! Oh, such a pretty pretty butterfly. And it always says of us pretty pretty butterflies that we are the supreme rulers of the universe, and so very much loved by all who dwelleth in our universe, and that we shall lead the whole universe into a much more pretty pretty universe, much like a caterpillar cacoons and then re-emerges into the new world...as a new pretty pretty butterfly. Yay.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 35
Astrology
Posted: 11/18/2012 9:09:12 PM

Being a Virgo I felt it necessary to write enough words so I create a linear progression in the size of the text.

Now THAT's funny (and accurate to type)
 Noskodania
Msg: 36
Astrology
Posted: 11/22/2012 4:07:53 AM
The universe is too complex for us to ever truly know where Astrology fits into the picture. Honestly the other day I went to the store at 9 am. The day before that I read my horoscope and it told me my lucky time of day would be 9 am. Not realizing I did not have my debit card until cashing out, I made a fool of myself and thought I'd be unable to buy 15 bucks worth of goods, my breakfast, my hopes for pudding, all gone... until a fair lady extended a 20 dollar bill and said "I'll take care of it."
 LennyPane
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 11/22/2012 5:44:10 AM
^^ And what about all the times it is wrong? You share your sign with millions... And I'm sure they didn't all have good luck at 9 a.m. that
morning. So how was that prediction meaningful? In fact, I'm sure the majority of the people with your sign had a completely average morning, and some were sure to have a bad morning. IN FACT, there's a good chance someone with your sign died that morning...

This reminds me of something that happened a couple years back. I was at a party and I started talking to this girl who said that the night before 9/11 she had dreamt of airplanes and fire. The girl didn't seem to be lying, and she started saying how she thought it was a
premonition from god and completely supernatural. Everyone else who was listening thought the same thing. But I started thinking... The odds of someone having a dream of airplanes and fire before 9/11 were probably very high. In the US alone there are millions of people and I would bet a fat chunk of money that EVERY night someone, somewhere, has a dream of something to do with an airplane and fire.
Its simple logic. But I guess when you have that happen to you it makes you feel special and as if something supernatural is happening.
But that's not what's happening.
 LennyPane
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 11/22/2012 5:55:06 AM
By the way, how funny would it be if the woman who
gave you the money shared your sign and read that
same exact horoscope the night before... And went
home that day thinking "I knew it was all bullshit". haha
 Kohmelo
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 11/22/2012 9:18:44 AM
^^^ no man, she just read a different newspaper
 Aries_328
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 11/22/2012 9:31:04 AM

No dude, that's Aries.

You called?
 LennyPane
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 11/22/2012 1:04:00 PM
"^^^ no man, she just read a different newspaper"

Haha yeah, it said 'you will have a chance tomorrow
morning to make someone believe this shit is legit'.
 palimar123
Msg: 42
Astrology
Posted: 12/17/2012 7:49:26 PM
I have studied, BIORYTHMN, for 40 years. I began matching it with ASTROLOGY. You would not believe how closely related they are to one another...
 Rheostatic
Msg: 43
Astrology
Posted: 12/17/2012 9:14:42 PM
You can find correlations between astrology and anything, because astrology is completely made up.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 44
Astrology
Posted: 12/17/2012 10:14:10 PM
Being an Aquarius, I too found it funny.

being a capricorn I don't find any of it funny. just trying to live up to the stereotype. :D

Being a Virgo I felt it necessary to write enough words so I create a linear progression in the size of the text.

Being a capricorn I felt it necessary to note the virgo created a linear progression in the length, not the size, of the text while I simultaneously create a longer progression.
 WaxItYourself122
Msg: 45
Astrology
Posted: 12/17/2012 11:08:30 PM
Being an Aries I don't believe in any of it.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 46
Astrology
Posted: 12/18/2012 5:52:55 AM

Being an Aries you don't get the joke.
 Aries_328
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 12/18/2012 9:01:04 AM

Being an Aries you don't get the joke.

Being an Aries I do not acknowledge the joke.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 48
Astrology
Posted: 12/18/2012 8:33:45 PM

Being an Aries I do not acknowledge the joke.

Only because it wasn't your joke :-P
 Aries_328
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 12/18/2012 8:40:06 PM
^^ Haha that fits so well!

I am glad you are following.
 Dokkodo
Msg: 50
Astrology
Posted: 12/19/2012 12:04:34 AM
Astrology is a bunch of hokum. Generalizations and self-fulfilling prophecies, it's just silly.

At least it isn't really dangerous like say religion, but it's mental garbage none the less.

I suggest youtubing Bill Nye astrology for a bit of knowledge.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Astrology