Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Astrology      Home login  
 AUTHOR
AstrologyPage 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
^ hehe, yea baby, yea! Capricorn - the one sign which encompasses the very end and very beginning of every year. Of everyone else.
 CureCurious
Msg: 91
Astrology
Posted: 2/25/2014 10:57:17 PM
ahh if only astrology was true... according to last month's reading apparently I was supposed to be super duper in love and this magical thing was supposd to happen... zoink, nope, unless they were using "metaphors for suicidal thoughts and heartache and loneliness.... they never say how they get to their conclusions... how do they get "qualified"... whats the process of being qualified.. can anybody do it? Why is there so much variation?
 Coma_White
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 2/26/2014 12:58:31 AM

ahh if only astrology was true... according to last month's reading apparently I was supposed to be super duper in love and this magical thing was supposd to happen... zoink, nope, unless they were using "metaphors for suicidal thoughts and heartache and loneliness.... they never say how they get to their conclusions... how do they get "qualified"... whats the process of being qualified.. can anybody do it? Why is there so much variation?

Anyone can do it! Sylvia Browne charged hundreds of dollars for half hour "psychic readings". Astrologers can rip off people just as badly.

Curecurious: I read your profile and I was surprised that you used the word "b*gan" in the first paragraph. I guess it means something different outside of NorthWestern Ontario, but here it's one of the most offensive words you can say.
 CureCurious
Msg: 93
Astrology
Posted: 2/26/2014 1:48:58 AM
Really? Theyy use the word bogan here in mainstream media... they make comical shows like "The housos" that depict them, lmao. They call the infamous drug smuggler that's been on TV that name in the media. It's not academically appropriate, but hmm... anyway, whoever takes offence to it, probably is one, and won't attempt to correspond, I suppose. What's a more sweeter term to describe the same thing?
 Coma_White
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 2/26/2014 10:34:53 AM

Really? Theyy use the word bogan here in mainstream media... they make comical shows like "The housos" that depict them, lmao. They call the infamous drug smuggler that's been on TV that name in the media. It's not academically appropriate, but hmm... anyway, whoever takes offence to it, probably is one, and won't attempt to correspond, I suppose. What's a more sweeter term to describe the same thing?

Really? Does bogan mean a a red neckperson? It's never used in that way here. If you say it here, it's a really bad word for an Aboriginal person. It basically means an Aboriginal person that doesn't want to work and is always drunk. It's almost as bad as calling people the n-word. I'm not sure why it has a different meaning here, but that's really interesting. I don't think I would date a redneck person either. My diet is almost vegetarian, minus some fish. Do they call the drug smuggler that name because he's Australian?
 bamagrl68
Msg: 95
Astrology
Posted: 3/20/2014 2:27:16 PM
greenIsis777-Being a Leo, I demand you believe, Lol :D
Seriously though, according to the personality descriptions I'm more like Cancer.
I don't take it seriously, but from time to time it is spooky accurate.
Astrology
Posted: 3/21/2014 1:08:53 AM
Got a little $1 thrift store clock radio, use it somewhere to just plug in and is already tuned to some classical. Clock part is broke. But somehow, from time to time the clock is spooky accurate. And I mean spooky accurate. Spooooooky, man! *sound of ghost moaning down the hallway*

bamagrl68 - 0x0x hehe
 Coma_White
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 3/21/2014 2:22:37 PM
bamagrl68: Do you mind if I do a reading for you? Let me know if I was accurate.

You have a tendency to be critical of yourself. You also have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage. While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing. Security is one of your major goals in life. And finally, you feel as though you haven't been drinking enough water lately.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 98
Astrology
Posted: 3/21/2014 7:54:41 PM
drinkthesunwithmyface- So you are saying a broken clock is right at least twice a day?
Say it isn't so, shoeless joe (am obscure baseball reference that probably almost no one else understands, so not my best attempt at returning your, hopefully, playful attempt at humor :).
Astrology
Posted: 3/22/2014 5:21:33 AM
^ Yes, it's right twice a day...but that fact isn't going to fool me into suspecting that the clock is working in any way, and I'm not ever going to start relying on it to tell me the time. Even at those two instances when it happens to be right, because I know better. I know that even then, it isn't really correct at all.
 CureCurious
Msg: 100
Astrology
Posted: 3/24/2014 8:48:51 AM
So, I had a dream on Saturday morning. A voice was telling me to wake up, I think it was like my dad's voice. He was saying "you've got 11 notifications waiting for you, wake up." I didn't wake up immediately, but I did shortly after until I came to.

I reached over to my phone and I had 10 notificaions awaiting. I thought "blahh dreams" then phone vibrated.. I now had "11 notifications".

Does this make me psychic? lol. If so, pay up.. i'll read your wrinkles.

though, I'm sort of a voice expert. I can usually tell how someone looks, or is even dressing by their voice and manner.. well the outfit thing is more to do with news presenters that I've tried on... eyes closed etc..
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 101
Astrology
Posted: 6/30/2014 10:53:19 AM
I've been a hobby astrologer since I've been a pre-teen. Back then I had to calculate birth charts, synastry charts, solar return charts, etc., using ephemeride tables and semi-complicated math. Took hours just to get one done. NOw, thanks to technology, the computer can do birth charts in seconds. It's amazing. Most people who dismiss astrology don't even know what it is all about, they just know their sun sign and that's it. It is a lot more complex than that, and all I can say is, that over the course of decades of using it, I have consistently found it 100% accurate. FOr instance, when I looked at certain transits that took place in my birth chart in 2011, it was indicated that I would experience a great loss (or great losses), but that I would also gain from them in some way. Didn't know what that would mean, but then my beloved sister died unexpectedly of cancer and my 20 year marriage ended - great losses indeed. Saturn going through your 12th house will do this. Jupiter (planet of good luck, to say it in simple terms) was transiting my 8th house of death and inheritance, and I inherited a large amount of money from my deceased sister and my divorce worked out in my favor. Just a few examples of how this has worked for me. The time my sister passed away, there was a solar eclipse in her first house - she was eclipsed out of her own life.

These were just some examples for predictions, what's even more interesting it what an accurate birth horoscope can tell you about compatibility and a person's character. It's more than just your sun sign, the placement of all the other planets and their aspects to each other at the time of your birth can completely overrule your sun sign. For instance, if you are a pisces but have a lot of planets in Taurus, you will have a lot of the traits of a Taurus. The man that I fell so hard in love with a few years ago, despite an almost 20 year age difference (he was the younger one), was due to some pretty rare and intense aspects between our birth charts. That explains what chemistry is. It was there because of Venus-Mars-Moon aspects between our charts. I'm excited to say that I have been talking to someone who lives oversees since last October. Just some nice, non-sexual, friendly conversation. He will come to visit my area this fall. I asked him for his birth data and compared our charts - WOW! We have incredible aspects, very rare ones that show awesome chemistry and compatibility. I normally don't talk to guys on dating websites for months if we don't meet, but I did stay in touch with him. COuldn't really say why, but now I know. He could be the one. My horoscope says that between August 2014 and August 2015, I could meet the love of my life and very quickly get married/elope. And it is likely with someone at a distance (Jupiter now in my 9th house of foreign / far away places). On the other hand the guy that I fell in love with hard two years ago is also stationed overseas right now, so maybe he could be coming back into my life. Who knows, but the patterns are showing now. It's exciting.
 Coma_White
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 6/30/2014 11:10:28 AM

These were just some examples for predictions, what's even more interesting it what an accurate birth horoscope can tell you about compatibility and a person's character. It's more than just your sun sign, the placement of all the other planets and their aspects to each other at the time of your birth can completely overrule your sun sign. For instance, if you are a pisces but have a lot of planets in Taurus, you will have a lot of the traits of a Taurus. The man that I fell so hard in love with a few years ago, despite an almost 20 year age difference (he was the younger one), was due to some pretty rare and intense aspects between our birth charts. That explains what chemistry is. It was there because of Venus-Mars-Moon aspects between our charts. I'm excited to say that I have been talking to someone who lives oversees since last October. Just some nice, non-sexual, friendly conversation. He will come to visit my area this fall. I asked him for his birth data and compared our charts - WOW! We have incredible aspects, very rare ones that show awesome chemistry and compatibility. I normally don't talk to guys on dating websites for months if we don't meet, but I did stay in touch with him. COuldn't really say why, but now I know. He could be the one. My horoscope says that between August 2014 and August 2015, I could meet the love of my life and very quickly get married/elope. And it is likely with someone at a distance (Jupiter now in my 9th house of foreign / far away places). On the other hand the guy that I fell in love with hard two years ago is also stationed overseas right now, so maybe he could be coming back into my life. Who knows, but the patterns are showing now. It's exciting.

I just don't understand how planets would affect a person's personality or character. No one has ever been able to explain this to me. It can't be gravity because the buildings around you have more gravity than the planets in our solar system. Astrology falls apart whenever it's tested, so it's one of those things that people need to buy into. Once someone believes in it, confirmation bias played a huge role. If a Cancer acts sensitive, astrology is right, but when a Cancer does the opposite, it's ignored. I find things like astrology, tarot cards, and ouija boards interesting, but I can't believe there is anything real about them until they're put to the test.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 103
Astrology
Posted: 6/30/2014 11:59:46 AM
It's all energy. Everything in this world consists of atoms, which in turn are made up of protons, neutrons and electrons. The electrons are basically floating around the protons and neutrons and they are all held together by electric/energy fields. These electrons are responsible for chemical reactions. Everything around us is energy in different forms. Astrology is just another way that energy influences our lives. It has been around for thousands of years, in all continents. If it were just a hoax, it would have not lasted this long. NOt everything can be rationally explained by us (yet), but I don't have to know a scientific explanation for everything. If I see it work, that is is enough for me. I work in the medical field, and let me tell you, there are LOTS and LOTS of things that defy science, and we still wouldn't dismiss medicine. Or look at meteorology - how often is the weather forecast inaccurate? Should we therefore dismiss meteorology as a hoax? No, it is still a science, but we still can't explain/predict exactly how the weather is going to play out 100% of the time.
 Coma_White
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 6/30/2014 12:28:33 PM

It's all energy. Everything in this world consists of atoms, which in turn are made up of protons, neutrons and electrons. The electrons are basically floating around the protons and neutrons and they are all held together by electric/energy fields. These electrons are responsible for chemical reactions. Everything around us is energy in different forms. Astrology is just another way that energy influences our lives. It has been around for thousands of years, in all continents. If it were just a hoax, it would have not lasted this long. NOt everything can be rationally explained by us (yet), but I don't have to know a scientific explanation for everything. If I see it work, that is is enough for me. I work in the medical field, and let me tell you, there are LOTS and LOTS of things that defy science, and we still wouldn't dismiss medicine. Or look at meteorology - how often is the weather forecast inaccurate? Should we therefore dismiss meteorology as a hoax? No, it is still a science, but we still can't explain/predict exactly how the weather is going to play out 100% of the time.

I'm really confused by what you said. You said "Astrology is just another way that energy influences our lives." What type of energy are we talking about? I still don't understand why the position of the stars and planets have any significance.

A lot of "hoaxes" have been around for thousands of years. People still believe in ghosts, ufos, bigfoot, sea monsters, etc.

The problem I have with astrology is that it can't predict anything with better accuracy than just guessing. Meteorology consistently predicts weather patterns with better accuracy than chance alone.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 105
Astrology
Posted: 6/30/2014 1:51:29 PM
I have given examples of my own life how things have come true in my own life that were predicted in my birth chart (death of my sister, divorce, inheritance, etc.). Just to name a few. And yes, I believe in ghosts/spirits as well. Some things just can't be explained with just the senses that we humans have. Unless you have truly studied astrology and applied it to your own life, you really can't judge it. Again, I'm not talking about the very inaccurate sun sign horoscopes, but a detailed birth chart that is based on someone's date, place and time of birth. I bet you have never had yours done but yet you dismiss it as a hoax.
 Coma_White
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 6/30/2014 5:05:30 PM

I have given examples of my own life how things have come true in my own life that were predicted in my birth chart (death of my sister, divorce, inheritance, etc.). Just to name a few. And yes, I believe in ghosts/spirits as well. Some things just can't be explained with just the senses that we humans have. Unless you have truly studied astrology and applied it to your own life, you really can't judge it. Again, I'm not talking about the very inaccurate sun sign horoscopes, but a detailed birth chart that is based on someone's date, place and time of birth. I bet you have never had yours done but yet you dismiss it as a hoax.

I hope you wouldn't bet money because you'd be losing. I've studied astrology, as well as Hermeticism, high magic, Enochian magic, and the Kabbalah. Various grimoires and occult traditions incorporate astrology into their rituals and theory. I've also had a detailed birth chart done. There is still no explanation about why it would matter if the planets and stars are in different positions. There is also no evidence that it can make predictions that are more accurate than just guessing. The people that want to believe it's real find ways of convincing themselves that it's real despite the lack of evidence.
 funchesf
Msg: 107
Astrology
Posted: 7/1/2014 7:52:48 AM
since Pluto is no longer classified as being a Planet would that not suggest that all the astrology charts are inaccurate and need to be upgraded

also for the sake of argument let's say that Astrology is Science, wouldn't that be an indication that "Free Will" did not exist, nor the "Will" to think for oneself, that the Planets control all thought and/or actions
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 7/1/2014 4:03:25 PM
Aren't events with the planets supposed to be just mostly indicative and reliably correlated...instead of the planets literally directly affecting things?

If it were just a hoax, it would have not lasted this long.

Oh REALLY??

there are LOTS and LOTS of things that defy science

Oh REALLY??

Are you sure that they're "defying" science??

Or look at meteorology - how often is the weather forecast inaccurate? Should we therefore dismiss meteorology as a hoax? No, it is still a science, but we still can't explain/predict exactly how the weather is going to play out 100% of the time.

Oh REALLY??

I'm starting to worry about the way that you think.
 lmntx
Msg: 109
Astrology
Posted: 7/2/2014 9:40:41 AM
So I suppose you think Aliens are irrational too? LOL, (sarcastic lol) ....but seriously!
What the bleep do we know in our indescribably tiny existence and significance, in the grand scheme of things.
Wait... we do not know what "grand scheme of things" is either.
We do not yet, as a human race, comprehend space and time, so how do you know that there is not relevance to the cosmos and how it "does" affect the earth and so therefore us?

I know what the difference is between a closed mind and an open one. Texans are really set in their beliefs and seem to be threatened somehow, by the fact that they might not "know" something.

I am Texan, by the way...born and raised. I bet some of you would like to throw me out about now. :)
 Coma_White
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 7/2/2014 10:25:02 AM

So I suppose you think Aliens are irrational too? LOL, (sarcastic lol) ....but seriously!
What the bleep do we know in our indescribably tiny existence and significance, in the grand scheme of things.
Wait... we do not know what "grand scheme of things" is either.
We do not yet, as a human race, comprehend space and time, so how do you know that there is not relevance to the cosmos and how it "does" affect the earth and so therefore us?

I know what the difference is between a closed mind and an open one. Texans are really set in their beliefs and seem to be threatened somehow, by the fact that they might not "know" something.

I am Texan, by the way...born and raised. I bet some of you would like to throw me out about now. :)

It's not that we're closed minded, we're just not gullible. Astrology is making the claim that being born at a certain time means you have a different personality than someone born a month later. There is no evidence to support this. There is no reason why the position of the stars and planets would make a person more emotional or more shy than another person. If I made a "system" that claimed the amount of sandwiches served in Paris would influence the mood of people in Toronto, you'd probably ask to see some evidence too.
 lmntx
Msg: 111
Astrology
Posted: 7/2/2014 1:10:16 PM
You have a fair argument as long as you are one that doesn't believe anything until it is proven by "todays" scientists. You do not know what tomorrow's scientists will unfold. I am more of an abstract and forward thinker. I could never correctly state that it is scientific fact that the stars and planets have anything to do with our personalities or our personality tendencies, but I do personally, believe in the possibility of things not proven to me. You say that the evidence/studies/research proves otherwise but these studies and whatnot are often influenced by the people conducting them and perhaps there are important "facts" that get omitted, twisted, etc. I do actually believe there is new research in the horizon that will start to make a shift in our ways of thinking. I don't usually like to say that because I don't know names or credentials, so please don't ask...this is an opinion of mine. I think more from the heart than the mind and I believe I have very strong intuitive skills that I have finally learned to tune in to and listen to because I believe it is the best guide for my life. Where do I believe intuition comes from?....The Universe, or Multiverse, of course :) I am a Pisces, after all!
 lmntx
Msg: 112
Astrology
Posted: 7/2/2014 1:24:17 PM
My son is a scientist and he would totally agree with you. I just love a healthy debate. So you don't think there is life outside of us here on Earth? How would we know? Don't you think any evidence would be suppressed by the "Powers that be"? Is everything really as black and white as you think?

Idk, to some of you I guess I could be getting off subject here...but imo, it's all relative.

What do you think
 whippedboi
Msg: 113
Astrology
Posted: 7/2/2014 2:23:19 PM

I have given examples of my own life how things have come true in my own life that were predicted in my birth chart (death of my sister, divorce, inheritance, etc.). Just to name a few. And yes, I believe in ghosts/spirits as well

but, from your own words, those events were NOT 'predicted" [b/]

just a vague, great loss(es) and great gain(s)

you could interpret many life events to fit that description

your chart did NOT say "your sister will die and you will inherit money, and you will get divorced but it will work out in your favor" , did it?
 Coma_White
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 7/2/2014 3:08:34 PM

You have a fair argument as long as you are one that doesn't believe anything until it is proven by "todays" scientists. You do not know what tomorrow's scientists will unfold. I am more of an abstract and forward thinker. I could never correctly state that it is scientific fact that the stars and planets have anything to do with our personalities or our personality tendencies, but I do personally, believe in the possibility of things not proven to me. You say that the evidence/studies/research proves otherwise but these studies and whatnot are often influenced by the people conducting them and perhaps there are important "facts" that get omitted, twisted, etc. I do actually believe there is new research in the horizon that will start to make a shift in our ways of thinking. I don't usually like to say that because I don't know names or credentials, so please don't ask...this is an opinion of mine. I think more from the heart than the mind and I believe I have very strong intuitive skills that I have finally learned to tune in to and listen to because I believe it is the best guide for my life. Where do I believe intuition comes from?....The Universe, or Multiverse, of course :) I am a Pisces, after all!

Sure, anything is possible. We might discover that eating bananas while standing on a dead fish allows us to teleport to other worlds. I just don't see any reason to believe or to even assume that astrology has any potential to be true. They have been testing astrologers and none of them can come up with better results than guessing. Wouldn't a person's genetics, family, and daily environment play a bigger role in the development of their personality? I'm open minded about the whole multidimensional universe and other realities. I love reading books about things like Salvia Divinorum or DMT, but I'm not going to fall for quackery.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Astrology