Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Octane_Rush
Msg: 58
Dating a guy who's far better lookingPage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

False, it leans towards vice versa. Men aren't hung up on look much as women, im dateless, so its proof

He's got it down pat!
 Fleuron
Msg: 59
Dating a guy who's far better looking
Posted: 10/5/2012 12:16:58 PM

Statistics also have show that couples where the woman is better looking tend to be happier than couples where the man is better looking.

That study was conducted by ugly men hoping to convince hot chicks they’ll be happier with ugly men.

If they date long enough they start looking alike,,,,lol.
One guy on my job used to say,,"Betsy is Marty w/o a mustache...."

I’m not sure what this means, but it’s damn funny.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/5/2012 12:20:04 PM

I rarely see couples where the male is far better looking than the female.

I agree. I've hardly ever seen this - it's usually a much prettier lady with a very average man.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/5/2012 12:20:25 PM
if I see a dude with a really ugly girl...

i can only smh...

my first thought is always ""he can do better than that !""

when i see a dude with a really hot chick... i think "he's got money" or "he must be hung like a mule" or "dang, that dude is lucky" or ""boy got game"
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/5/2012 12:49:15 PM

Studies are usually conducted to promote a product or ideology, many are more than informal surveys and serve no other purpose than for someone to sell a book or magazine article. (I don't write that crap.....ugh).

Yeah, if there's anything I'm sick of seeing here, it's the "studies have shown" and "statistics show" bullshit. F*ck that shit.

False, it leans towards vice versa. Men aren't hung up on look much as women, im dateless, so its proof

Dateless?? What are you talking about? Did you break up with the Victoria's Secret model you mentioned last week??
 ohenryx
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2012 12:50:46 PM
It's readily apparent that most of the people posting in this thread did not read the article in Psychology Today. Which is a shame, because it is a very interesting and informative article. The author makes the point, very clearly, that women are every bit as interested in looks as are men. But women choose good looking men for short term (lovers), and uglier men for long term (husbands, providers for their kids, "dads"). The women know (either instinctively or through extensive field research, doesn't matter which), that the really good looking men have too many options and are not going to stick around and provide for their kids.

The author even brought up the research from a few years ago showing that when a woman has both a lover and a husband, the lover is much more likely to impregnate her.
 CaptainA.D
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/5/2012 12:54:42 PM

Dateless?? What are you talking about? Did you break up with the Victoria's Secret model you mentioned last week??

I never said i dated a V.S.M Your mistaken bud
 JDC1993
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/5/2012 12:58:01 PM
Females tend to be more willing and open to date and actually care about a man who isnt as good looking as she is because she feels secure and he is probably over the moon at having a hottie.

In a relationship where the male is better looking the woman probably feels like she could lose him at any time, that he knows he can do better. Men are more likely to feel dissatisfied with a mate who isnt up to their standards.
 Octane_Rush
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/5/2012 1:00:22 PM

I never said i dated a V.S.M Your mistaken bud
Yeah, you did.
 Still_Dreaming_in_sc
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/5/2012 1:29:01 PM

Maybe he realized taking the victorias secret catalog into the bathroom didn't really mean he was dating her or maybe he found her too "flat" chested..lol
 Fleuron
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/5/2012 2:15:37 PM

Maybe he realized taking the victorias secret catalog into the bathroom didn't really mean he was dating her…

Omg….

There is such a thing as posting history.

The women know (either instinctively or through extensive field research, doesn't matter which), that the really good looking men have too many options and are not going to stick around and provide for their kids.

Field research? That’s funny. Guess what….ugly men cheat, too. That is just beyond wrong.

The author even brought up the research from a few years ago showing that when a woman has both a lover and a husband, the lover is much more likely to impregnate her.

What’s that mean, ugly husbands are impotent? sterile? balless?

I’d love to know how they conducted this research. I’m sure “women” who would deliberately marry ugly men and screw hot ones on the side would have so much integrity to be honest on some stupid survey or study….or know for sure who impregnated them. Stupid!!!
 bucsgirl
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2012 3:57:58 PM
"The author even brought up the research from a few years ago showing that when a woman has both a lover and a husband, the lover is much more likely to impregnate her. "

Hmm well I used to read Psychology Today, but it's not a professional journal. It's just as likely to hae fluff articles. Any STUDY should be considered in the context of what the purpose was, the organization who sponsored (PAID) for it and the background of the article's author. The ONLY authoritative research studies are published in professional journals not some HACK RAG you can buy at the grocery store.

SOME writers (not ME!) think finding a supposed study makes their fluff assumptions sound more legit and they cal sell articles. That's the publishing biz.
 onewayoranuther
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/5/2012 4:37:24 PM
My observation of study's is much harsher than my observations of couples.
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/5/2012 4:41:14 PM
OP......PM, me as I don't want to hurt any one's feelings on here...."laughing"....this ones for you "B"

I think she's ugly he thinks she cute....which one of us is better looking...she thinks I'm ugly and he's cute...!!!!!! Her gorgeous friend thinks I'm cute and my friend is ugly....now I'm confused !
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2012 3:51:41 AM

When I have seen a good-looking man with an unattractive wife, almost always the wife's personality is bubbly, social, positive, talkative.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I thought it was deviant sex.
 Tom_FishOPlenty
Msg: 73
Posted: 11/18/2012 7:49:50 AM
No man is far better looking than you sweetheart.
 wolftxusa1966
Msg: 74
Posted: 11/18/2012 8:05:05 AM

couples where the woman is better looking tend to be happier than couples where the man is better looking.

Fück, I'm screwed. Prove me wrong...
 rdcnorm
Msg: 75
Posted: 11/18/2012 8:10:46 AM

I rarely see couples where the male is far better looking than the female.

I agree. I've hardly ever seen this - it's usually a much prettier lady with a very average man.

That is funny s*ht..I am so happy my girl is better looking than this average guy.. I must have personality,,and I am broke too,, I hit the lottery,,,
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 76
Posted: 11/18/2012 9:49:36 AM
That is funny s*ht..I am so happy my girl is better looking than this average guy.. I must have personality,,and I am broke too,, I hit the lottery,,,

While I think it's lovely that you hold your girl in such high regard---she is not far better-looking than you. In my opinion, you two seem to be pretty equally-matched---which would support the OP's original point that most couples are similar to each other in their level of attractiveness.

I do think relationships work out best when the man perceives his lady to be more attractive than himself---irrespective of what others might think.
 VolcanoKing
Msg: 77
Posted: 11/18/2012 9:58:54 AM
I have never seen a couple where a man is far better looking than the woman...not once. Water seeks its oen level, and the alphas seek out alphas. The rest of us find another average looking person to pair up with.

I have seen the ugly dude with the younger, prettier woman. There is always money involved. But I live in LA...so...
 Fleuron
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/18/2012 10:16:53 AM

I have never seen a couple where a man is far better looking than the woman...not once.

I have, several times in several states.

Years ago my mom had her porch rebuilt and I’m telling you the foreman guy was a gorgeous, sexy HUNK…it was summer and he worked in cut off jean shorts and work boots and nothing else and women up and down our street were hanging out their windows and driving by slowly to gawk at him and drool. Of course I got to actually interact with him. ;) Holy hell.

Anyway. What were we talking about? Oh yeah….his wife was NOwhere near as hot as him. She was a very nice woman, but looks-wise, forget it. This guy was friggin EDIBLE.

There have been others but I can’t discuss them as I need to take a break right now. :)
 LibertyValance
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2012 10:43:43 AM
YOU HIT IT RIGHT ON THE NOSE BROTHER. ALOT OF OVERWEIGHT MOVIE STARS ON THIS LINE. LIBERTY
 looking4al8e
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/18/2012 4:39:37 PM
I personally know of a couple where the guy is much more attractive than the woman. It's not too common, but obviously it happens. Not all of us guys are only targeting the hot looking girls. There's more to it than that...
 OutMind
Msg: 81
Posted: 11/18/2012 4:58:38 PM

Studies shows that most couples tend to be similarly rated in terms of looks.

Okay. Show me the money. Show me those studies. And I hope is something better than Cosmo.
 carora02
Msg: 82
Posted: 11/18/2012 8:35:47 PM
n all reality we are all humans and some tend to judge. But, Think about it. You could meet the person of your dreams by looks. But if they are ugly inside why should we care about how hot they look. Everyone wants to date a super model, Weather M/F. Ok, With that said lets not pass up interior beauty with external features. Our vibrations attract what we want. If you are negative that's what you will attract . Positive people attract positive people. Unless you have very low self esteem, Rarely you see some holding on to beauty over a negative inside.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >