Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > The Coming Singularity      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CressB
Msg: 20
view profile
History
The Coming SingularityPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
 Draconic_evolution
MSG 18, 19:

Ahhahaha... Good work kid. Very cool.
 DameWrite
Msg: 21
view profile
History
The Coming Singularity
Posted: 3/19/2013 4:32:22 AM
We might not allow it to kill us off even though it would make sense as we would miss the chemical that flows (oxytocin) when we care for another human being.

Also I believe our desire to procreate is so strong that a "doll" just isn't going to cut it (for long).

This all won't matter if we don't start working with our genes, our fellow human beings and the environment instead of against.
 MossimoSkater
Msg: 22
The Coming Singularity
Posted: 3/20/2013 2:17:36 PM
I don't see how the electrical impulses in a robot is any different than the chemical reactions in our brains. Maybe the robots will think they have selves too.
 DameWrite
Msg: 23
view profile
History
The Coming Singularity
Posted: 3/20/2013 2:48:51 PM
Reward is powerful, can robots get a jolt of it? Maybe they will need some other driving force? Or not.

I wonder if they would have the urge to leave a legacy besides off spring? Seems such a human trait.
 justlookingvt
Msg: 24
The Coming Singularity
Posted: 3/20/2013 3:13:39 PM
Did someone say we are not a type of robot ?

......................................................................................................................................................................................
 DameWrite
Msg: 25
view profile
History
The Coming Singularity
Posted: 3/20/2013 8:46:04 PM
^^^ controlled by? Viruses? our genes? ^ ^^^ ^^^^^
 Celje
Msg: 26
The Coming Singularity
Posted: 3/20/2013 8:58:51 PM
Electrical current...
 Albvs
Msg: 27
The Coming Singularity
Posted: 3/21/2013 7:37:43 PM
OP, you should read Neuromancer.
 kwest77
Msg: 28
The Coming Singularity
Posted: 3/22/2013 9:13:58 PM
Simply put, computers will never be smarter than humans we designed them.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 29
view profile
History
The Coming Singularity
Posted: 3/23/2013 12:55:31 PM
Threads like this usually get started and supported by the the very young, who aren't yet able to focus on several layers deep of rational thought simultaneously. The fascination and wow factor of a concept draws them in before they have the ability to understand or evaluate the essence of their own existence, and the obvious seems to get neglected in the process. These basics are so simple, I feel condesending even pointing them out...but, if a few here need an explanation for why they don't slap themselfves in the face every morning with a cast iron skillet....so be it!

You have little choice about arriving here, but some choice about staying here, and the alternative in called suicide....all you need to think about is, what are the reasons for your decision to avoid the latter....obviously the choice you made if you are reading this post.

So, what are your reasons?.....the taste of a greasy meat lovers supreme pizza and beer, the ectasy of Sally's vagina, the smell of burning rubber, or crossing the finish line first, the pleasure you get from reading stupid material about the coming singularity? LOL

You kids should be getting the point already, but in case you haven't got it quite yet...I'll elaborate a bit farther.
WE LIKE TO PLAY...not work. We design machines to work for us, so we can have more time and money to play more......That's it!....that's the only motivation behind any technology....things that will allow you to eat more pizza, meet more Sally's, cross more finish lines, catch more fish etc. Ever hear of anyone wanting to design a robot to do their water skiing or racing for them?.....No, don't even go there, your argument will be so dumb my head will hurt.

One other thing.....by the time Hollywood, the federal government, the American school system gets you dumb enough to think you want mechanical clones of yourself to live your life for you and replace yourself with.....you'll be far too stupid to ever make it happen....and even if you could, what would be the point?...wouldn't suicide take less effort?....Capish?

Now go start a thread on a subject that makes at least a half an ounce of sense.
 Albvs
Msg: 30
The Coming Singularity
Posted: 3/23/2013 12:58:29 PM

Simply put, computers will never be smarter than humans we designed them.

The word "never" is a pretty big word. It stretches all the way out to infinity.

I can certainly imagine computers in the future that are smarter than humans. IBM's Deep Blue computer beat Gary Kasparov at chess and that was 1997.

They completed the Titan in Oak Ridge, TN. It's an impressive supercomputer, if you're into that kind of stuff.

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/video/NVIDIA/Titan/titan.jpg
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 31
view profile
History
The Coming Singularity
Posted: 3/23/2013 1:07:25 PM
^^^^^So what?....I've got a $6.00 scientific calculator that will make us both look like an idiot....I guess that means it's time to replace ourself with better things. Won't it be nice when we have advanced enough to have a computer or robot to do your white water rafting and hump your girlfriend for you, instead of just beating you at a chess game? LOL

This Titan is more fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uftl77JmEbA
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > The Coming Singularity