Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > If there truly is a God, why is he so cruel to mankind?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Demigod1979
Msg: 26
view profile
History
If there truly is a God, why is he so cruel to mankind?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
No, you are a bully and a troll for your replies to those who have taken their precious time to try and provide you with an answer to which you turn around and degrade and belittle them.

Perhaps it's because you haven't provided any sort of answer? So far the only things you've said is that maybe humans cause it (which is of course not what the OP was talking about) and that we can't know the future end result (which is just a BS way of saying 'I don't know').

Why blame an ideology?
Hell why even attempt to entertain the idea of blaming an ideology?
Why blame a character of a book by superimposing some sort of super powers and superhuman attributes onto this character?

I think he was talking about this hypothetically. IF God exists, why does suffering exist? IF God created human beings as his most prized creation, why put them through so much needless suffering?

Yes, but is this by the hand of this Christian God, by the hand of one the other God's out of the 10,500 religions of the world or are they a result of the hands of mankind with the induction of untold chemicals prevalent in our food, clothing, plastics, homes... Asbestos, MDF with Urea-formaldehyde resin's?

Cancer is a naturally-occurring disease, although it can be exacerbated by certain adverse conditions. As for disease, we're actually living in a very safe era. Vaccines were only discovered a little more than two hundred years ago, and antibiotics didn't exist a hundred years ago. In the past, it was common for half of all children to die before reaching adulthood and for many to be crippled or scarred for life by diseases like Polio and Smallpox. Despite the problems in the industrial revolution, we've actually made a lot of progress in countering the diseases that God, if he exists, inflicted on mankind.

The real question is, why did God make such diseases in the first place? Why did mankind have to suffer through thousands of years under these diseases? What was the point, especially now that we've started effectively dealing with them?

Does mankind have this desire to blame a deity of one predominant western societal belief structure for all the pain, suffering, cruelty that is happening now. How about we blame the Greek Gods, oh wait how about we blame Thor... oh wait he was just a demi god.

The problem of evil is a problem particular to monotheism. It applies to Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Those religions that believe in multiple gods don't have this problem, since bad things can be attributed to bad gods. In fact, I think Judaism was also evolving along these lines, under the influence of Zoroastrianism. Satan was transformed from one of the helpers of God to one who was opposed to God and Jews/Christians/Muslims can how heap all the bad things onto him (although he's not treated as a god, he might as well be one, since his power is clearly manifest in the world). Previously, God was responsible for both good and evil (various OT sayings about God sending an evil spirit, hardening people's hearts, tempting them to do evil, etc. - Isaiah 45:7).
 tygerpawn
Msg: 27
If there truly is a God, why is he so cruel to mankind?
Posted: 10/7/2012 3:07:07 PM
No I havent read it, 2) im Catholic and 3 I blame the Mob for our problems and evils in the world
 Keeper_of_Secrets
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/7/2012 3:12:19 PM

No I havent read it, 2) im Catholic and 3 I blame the Mob for our problems and evils in the world

Yah me neither.
Use what works for you.
:)
 timeforall
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/7/2012 3:19:28 PM
I think Mark Twain said it all:

"...a God who could make good children as easily a bad, yet preferred to make bad ones; who could have made every one of them happy, yet never made a single happy one; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; who gave his angels eternal happiness unearned, yet required his other children to earn it; who gave is angels painless lives, yet cursed his other children with biting miseries and maladies of mind and body; who mouths justice, and invented hell--mouths mercy, and invented hell--mouths Golden Rules and foregiveness multiplied by seventy times seven, and invented hell; who mouths morals to other people, and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man's acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites his poor abused slave to worship him!"
 Keeper_of_Secrets
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/7/2012 3:23:43 PM
demigod1979,
What is your opinion on the concept of "original sin" as applied to children?
 Keeper_of_Secrets
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/7/2012 3:45:48 PM
demigod1979,

maybe you missed some words... I bolded them for you.

Further please explain to me if it is this God doing these acts of cruelty or is it by the hand/actions of mankind?

Remember: Past, Present and Future when asking questions towards this God. You seem to only want to focus on the Present and not see the lessons of the past and apply them towards the future.

You are speaking of the commonly referred to Christian God. This particular God works in the past, present and future.

Yes, but is this by the hand of this Christian God, by the hand of one the other God's out of the 10,500 religions of the world or are they a result of the hands of mankind

If it makes you feel better by blaming, being angry at, or questioning a God character or God archetype , then hey, all the power to you.
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2012 4:31:55 PM

If there is a God, there is no such thing as free will. He has predetermined everything we are and everything we do

Why? Perhaps because it enables you to answer your own question?
 timeforall
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/7/2012 5:01:25 PM
I think the answer is self evident. Either a benevolent God does not exist, or God itself does not exist. That is the only rational and logical answer to the question.
 MissesMiko
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/7/2012 5:58:33 PM
God exists in the mind!
And the mind is nothing but ENERGY! ;)
Mankind are the only creatures on the planet outwardly cruel to one another.....
by our freewill.
 Keeper_of_Secrets
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/7/2012 6:28:10 PM

I think the answer is self evident. Either a benevolent God does not exist, or God itself does not exist. That is the only rational and logical answer to the question.

Great, now that you have answered your own question, you can move on and explore other things.

Since this God you are speaking of came into being with Abraham of the Iron Age. What about the societies that existed before hand. The Egyptians (5,000-6,000 BCE) for example predate Abraham by a good 1,000-2,000 years?
 30stmfan
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/7/2012 7:02:19 PM
If you ask a Christian such a question, you will be meet with avoidance such as "That's beyond our comprehension" or "That's because of free will and sin". A common explanation is The Garden of Eden..Adam & Eve eat the forbidden fruit and are consequently cursed with sin. So, according to the Bible, we suffer death, disease, wars, violence, ect.because a million years ago, Adam ate a piece of fruit..

Any logical person would give you a logical explanation of such a question..personally, I I don't see how god could condemn us for eternity because some dude a million years ago ate a p piece of fruit. Chill out man, it's just a piece of fruit..Also, according to Christianity, god is good and all-powerful and forgiving. If he's so forgiving, surely he would forgive oblivious Adam for eating a piece of fruit. From my perspective, if god exists, he must be a vengeful, random, bored god with a hell of a sense of humor.
 timeforall
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/7/2012 7:07:24 PM
What about um? How do they change anything?
 Keeper_of_Secrets
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/7/2012 7:18:20 PM

What about um? How do they change anything?

Check out this link. It is full of very useful info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_religion
 timeforall
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/7/2012 7:24:26 PM
There has always been cruelty and suffering in the world. Doesn't matter what era or god you are talking about. Seems to me you agree god does not exist, at least no god as described by man.
 J_bird61
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/7/2012 7:25:28 PM
A long time ago I read somewhere of a sort of evolutionary chart of how man percieves or explains God.
I wish I could remember all the terms used and I'd like to find the book, but again, I don't feel like looking right now.

However, if you look at the history of the relationship between man and God, it has been changing. The God you are describing is a fairy tale God who sits on his throne handing out or withholding favors depnding upon his mood.
It actually is about 3 up from the bottom on that chart I saw with a couple of more enlightened views above it.

I would suggest if this line of thinking, (wondering why God can't see), that you should take a look at other religions.
Most have some kind of explanation for the suffering you see and when you mash them all together, consider all of them collectively it may give you some insight to your question.
I personally feel that most all of the suffering you see here is due to us. We make it, cause it, ignore it.
One light in the dark makes all the difference. I would also suggest to fight it, to do something about it, you'd need to develop your compassion, your empathy. Those are the things that are missing.
So maybe your question should be - Why are we ignoring the suffering people? To me that's the more baffling question.
 timeforall
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/7/2012 7:29:40 PM
Jbird, not all of the suffering in the world can be attributed to man, and if we are imperfect and created by god, the blame still lies with god.
 Keeper_of_Secrets
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/7/2012 7:46:30 PM

There has always been cruelty and suffering in the world. Doesn't matter what era or god you are talking about.

So why then do you give this God of Christianity/ Abrahamic God so much credit when this particular God belief structure is relatively young.... I am trying to understand you attributing the cruelty and injustices of the world to one particular God and hauling this particular God onto the red carpet so to speak to answer for all?

Seems to me you agree god does not exist, at least no god as described by man.

See post #20

Oh and FYI. I have no belief in this commonly referred to Christian God.
 timeforall
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/7/2012 7:52:57 PM
I never mentioned the Christian God. I referred to the Old Testament (the Jewish God) just by way of hypothetical example of how cruel god, created in man's image, portray's himself. Nothing in my question refers to any God in particular or any number of Gods for that matter.
 Keeper_of_Secrets
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/7/2012 7:58:24 PM
The God of the Jewish belief structure is the same God of the Christian belief structure.
When you quote scripture from the Bible as you have done you are automatically speaking of the God of the Bible. Which is the Christian God/ Abrahamic God.

The Old Testament is the first covenant God had with man.
The New Testament is the 2nd covenant God had with man.
 timeforall
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/7/2012 8:15:41 PM
Not sure what you mean by the same "belief" structure. Clearly there is a difference between what Jews believe vis a vis Jesus being the messiah or God or the son of God or not. But I understand the Judeo-Christian principal is pretty much the same. I did cite the scripture simply to point out how illogical it is to believe the God of the bible (western Bible) is a benevolent God. Clearly he is not somebody you want to make angry so its not a great leap to believe, if he exists, he is responsible for lots of the suffering on earth.
 Keeper_of_Secrets
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/7/2012 8:28:10 PM

Not sure you mean by the same "belief" structure. Clearly there is a difference between what Jews believe vis a vis Jesus being the messiah or God or the son of God or not. But I understand the Judeo-Christian principal is pretty much the same. I did cite the scripture simply to point out how illogical it is to believe the God of the bible (western Bible) is a benevolent God. Clearly he is not somebody you want to make angry so its not a great leap to believe, if he exists, he is responsible for lots of the suffering on earth.

The Old Testament is divided into five sections: the Pentateuch (Genesis through Deuteronomy), the historical books (Joshua through Esther), the poetic books (Job through Song of Solomon), the Major Prophets (Isaiah through Daniel), and the Minor Prophets (Hosea through Malachi). The Old Testament was written from approximately 1400 B.C. to approximately 400 B.C. The Old Testament was written primarily in Hebrew, with a few small sections written in Aramaic (essentially a variation of Hebrew).

The Old Testament deals primarily with the relationship between God and the nation of Israel. The Pentateuch deals with the creation of Israel and God establishing a covenant relationship with Israel. The historical books record Israel's history, its victories and successes along with its defeats and failures. The poetic books give us a more intimate look at God's relationship with Israel and His passion for Israel to worship and obey Him. The prophetic books are God's call to Israel to repent from its idolatry and unfaithfulness and to return to a relationship of obedience and spiritual fidelity.
 J_bird61
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/7/2012 8:37:32 PM
It sounds to me like you're only looking at the material world.
You're statement is this "If I see imperfection and am told I am created by God, God is then imperfect."

You are defining God by you're perception. You've made God in the image of man.
Yes we do live in a material world, yes there is suffering here. Why do you think that is? I mean if you take a look around, it's here, right? hense your question...so...if it's here....
Could there be a reason for it? What if it didn't exist? What would you wonder about, search for? What would you create if there were nothing to fix/make better/have different?
To be in God's image, to me, is to create goodness where and when you can. To me that's the opportunity.

So, to admit there's suffering is one thing, to find out about it is another, and to fight is is yet another.
That's the whole point to your being here. To believe when there's no visable reason to. To act out of faith.
To create with God. To me that would be the image and likeness based on a loving, omnipotent God.

And of course this would all depend on your understanding of what God might be. Everyone one of the religions ask you to believe when you can't exactly see why you should because this place can really suck at times. They all tell you what you should do about it, how to look at it, what it might mean, or how to avoid it. Find one. They're really cool.
To believe and act is how it can not suck so bad, it's how you make things better.

The old testiment is dealing with the beliefs within a certain time line in history. It;s how people thought of God, in that time. Yes, they thought he was cruel, that he sent dust storms or locusts to punish them, right?
But now you now better. A dust storm is a natural phemomenon, explained by particular weather patterns, and locusts come and go and both can now be predicted, and we can be warned about them and we construct better shelters and resistant crops.

The people in the time of the black plague thought God had sent it when it was really a natural occurance of flies biting rats tranferring to humans....now we know.
And all the rest we now don't know, eventually we will. And we'll create things and solutions to make it better. See? We're getting there. Do your part.
 Westley_Auryn
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/7/2012 9:09:12 PM
If people living in this world are proud enough to want a physical lineage, then the life of their offspring in this world is on their hands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNa3KQD1zaE
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2012 1:33:08 AM
Here is an answer you can take to the bank. All human suffering is a product of greed, power and stupidity.....BTW, that's the same three virtues that created your Gods.
 CressB
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2012 1:47:43 AM
^^^

Awh, come on now. I just stubed my toe this morrning wasn't exactly caused by stupidity I was just groggy. Picked up a screw in my tire just the other week I imagine it rattled out of some ones car or some other random happenstance which had nothing to do with any of your options.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > If there truly is a God, why is he so cruel to mankind?