Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Is chiropractic treatment quackery?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CHIR88
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Is chiropractic treatment quackery?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Pretty much nailed it!! :)
 Skyr
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Is chiropractic treatment quackery?
Posted: 5/14/2016 3:50:14 PM

Thank you DrSnore, Chiropractic has only been in existence for 120 years. Medicine has been around for 1000's. There are several factors that cause negative remarks, but it's mostly the uneducated public that doesn't understand Chiropractic that makes comments not based on fact. Who's to blame for that? Chiropractors!! I've heard the same comments for 15 years, and it makes me angry at the Chiro for not explaining/educating his patients on how the body works from the CNS to PNS, reasons for multiple treatments sometimes, etc. Unfortunately, several of these patients are correct. There are crooked Chiros just like in any other profession. People please do your research. Please ask the Dr. questions. It's not only your right, but your responsibility, especially when it comes to your children's health. Good to all and feel free to ask me any questions you like.

Chiropractors are not trained in 'how the body works' at all. There is no anatomical basis to their back 'adjustments' and make believe 'subluxations'.

This is a good example that has been doing the rounds on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IU9emzBDRA

Talk about woo!
 chinook1111
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/14/2016 9:11:15 PM
So the fact that you can view a subluxation is not enough proof?

Hump backed old ladies?
 Skyr
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2016 10:32:32 PM

So the fact that you can view a subluxation is not enough proof?

A subluxation is an anatomical displacement, not to be confused with the imaginary 'subluxation' that chiropracters diagnose all their patients with.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/15/2016 8:34:53 AM
Going to a good chiro changed my Mom's life, her neck no longer hurts.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 27
Posted: 5/15/2016 8:58:37 AM
I've had good experiences with chiropractors, but there are bad ones out there. And much of what they used to teach them (don't know what they teach now) is really shady. They used to teach that fluoride in the water caused both frigidity and nymphomania for example.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/15/2016 6:55:21 PM

but there are bad ones out there. And much of what they used to teach them (don't know what they teach now) is really shady.

I got this reply for an interview with this guy wednesday that does spinal decompression therapy. Right off the bat I got a no-no feeling. Upon researching the dr., he had his license suspended in 2013 for unsafe practices. Very bad reviews from people who felt scammed.
Needless to say, following my gut and cancelling it.
Like what, is he looking for an assistant to take the fall when he renders someone a paraplegic?

As for the good guys, I've never been, but I'd be interested in getting an assessment. I have a feeling I already said that a couple pages back so I'll just shut up now.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/15/2016 7:42:24 PM
Wish I could recommend someone, but of the two I used one is retired and the other moved to the Okanagan.

Unfortunately my father had worse luck. He had long term problems as a result of a bad chiropractor.
 raisehill
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/16/2016 8:24:32 AM
Chiro's can make matters worse if they try manipulating a ruptured disc . . its not going to make the disc better.

Really often times the best thing to do is nothing other than an over the counter anti-inflammatory.

But I do agree that chiros have a much better understanding of the musculoskeletal system than most doctors, especially family practitioners, who at best have a rudimentary understanding of the anatomical makeup of the body.

I'm talking about the normal ones, not the weirdos who believe they can cure all disease by realignment of the spine.
 HikernBiker74
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/15/2016 9:48:02 PM
There are many honest and to the point Chiropractors out there. The ones who are the real deal.

Then there are the quacks, like the one I encountered back in 2008.

I had a complementary chiropractic examination from this man back in 2008. Of course, they find "Subluxation" in one of my vertebrae. One of the assistants was telling me that this said vertebrae was the "mouth of god" and I could wake up one morning paralyzed from the neck down if I didn't get it treated right away. The chiropractor also tells me how chiropractic adjustment can prevent cancers especially testicular cancer in men. His waiting room had a television playing a video about anti-vaccination crap while there were a few stands filled with supplements for sale.

That was the last time I saw him. I think I've seen enough.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2016 7:47:52 PM
Could the name "Chiroquackter" be properly applied to a quack chiropractor?
 Skyr
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2016 10:43:40 PM

Could the name "Chiroquackter" be properly applied to a quack chiropractor?

It can be properly applied to ALL chiropractors.
 arwen52
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2017 6:13:24 PM

Absolutely not! They go through a rigorous educational process, and their knowledge of anatomy and physiologe is second to none. I remember hobbling into a chiropractors office like I would fall any second, and walked ot a half hour later, standing upright and finally out of pain

You're a doctor and you think their training in A&P is second to none? Where did you go to med school?

I've worked in four different chiropractic offices, with at least a dozen DCs, and been adjusted by several more of them. Most of them are quacks, plain and simple. Their knowledge of anatomy & physiology is less than mine and I went to a 300 hour massage therapy program. One acquaintance of mine who went to chiropractic school - Logan College - said they spent as much time on how to market their business as they did learning about the body. I was engaging in an online discussion with a DC who is an instructor in a school and he didn't know what PubMed was, had no idea how to look up or read research. I cannot recommend them outside of a very, very few who are science-based, and that was something they became *after* they got out of school.

I'd recommend a good physical therapist.
 happygal_28
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2017 8:41:45 PM
I thought the term was "quackopracter". LOL
That said - I recently have had a great experience with a great one who greatly helped some issues I had in less than 10 sessions. This was directly AFTER I had an assessment done by a scam chiroquacter/quackopracter who told me I needed 3 sessions a week for a YEAR but he could offer a payment plan!! YIKES Please trust your gut and run if you need to. There are real professionals out there!
 shyloco
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2017 9:13:19 PM
I have had good results with chiropractors in my lifetime. Two different ones have told me the couldn't help me. One told me I needed back surgery and yes the surgery helped. there are some honest ones out there.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Is chiropractic treatment quackery?