Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 21
House,Techno and other EDM music.Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
i was a dj for 15 years. in night clubs, pubs and strip bars. i have a much more musical knowledge then you give me credit for. i've played it all. this forum is for expressing opinions.

if you don't want to read them feel free to pass on by. how nice of you to speak for hundreds of people that have read my posts without issue.

i've said nothing hateful. i've said that if you like this crap, more power to ya. but that's doesn't mean it isn't soulless crap.
whatever floats your goat.

and i don't know about allah. i'm an atheist but i don't really know much about him. is that the guy with the big belly or the guy that you can't show an image of?

k.w.
more of a hard rock then metal
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 23
House,Techno and other EDM music.
Posted: 12/17/2012 6:02:36 PM

But I have serious issues about some metal fans and Bon Jovi in particular.

um.........bon jovi isn't metal. or hard rock. at this point i'd barely consider them a rock act.

they make music for soccer moms. i like some of the old stuff. even sang on a track from the slippery when wet recordings.

but metal? no.

k.w.
up the irons
 GuzziGoing
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/24/2012 10:50:34 AM
+1 on this thread. I'm glad to find a few supporters out here. Been spinning for 21 years now and I doubt I'll ever quit. Lately I have been digging into a lot of Tech House and Techno but I haven't met a genre I can't spin for the exception of DubStep which I just get bored with. In those cases I'd rather be in the 110 BPM spectrum doing Glitch and Trap.

A
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/3/2013 5:59:46 PM
i'm the first to admit i'm not very well schooled in the sub genres of emd. it all sounds the same.

is terrence parker vocal trance? i did check his stuff out. musically....crap but a decent singer. he should try r&b.

i posted this in one of the other numerous trace threads. it was taken from a local paper here, the georgia straight.

Let’s just cut the sh*t for a minute and say it: electronic dance music is the stupidest music on the planet. It even has a fittingly dumb name, EDM, which makes me cringe every time I see it. More so than the acronym, though, the reason it sucks is because the amount of talent required to perform it is precisely none.

Case in point: Paris Hilton recently made her DJ debut in Brazil. She can’t give a competent on-screen blowjob—Christ, you just put it in your mouth and spin your head around like Linda Blair—but she sure can throw down Gotye remixes and Avicii tracks to big crowds. Hilton even pushed a few buttons and it looked like she knew what she was doing. The best part about the whole spectacle was how it showed that trotting out some attractive and vapid idiot with no qualifications to DJ, other than that they have a following, isn’t exclusively a Vancouver thing. (Hi, Mayor Gregor Robertson. I loved your set!)

At about the same time, one of the genre’s biggest stars, deadmau5, came forward and said what we’ve suspected all along: DJing is f*cking easy and all the knob-turning that goes on at a “live” EDM show is a sham. The refreshingly candid man behind the mouse mask claims that if you’re remotely tech-savvy you could learn how to do his show in about an hour. It’s just pressing play and that’s all there is to it.

Surely this means the current dance-music craze is done. I mean, Paris is on the gravy train and deadmau5 said that all these $100-a-ticket arena shows are Milli Vanilli with excessive strobes. No, of course not. See, the fans of this stupid f*cking music are f*cking stupid too. They’re still lining up to slap down their hard-earned money from their dead-end jobs so they have somewhere to pop a couple pills and dance like no one is watching on a Saturday night.

Some will be quick to point out that producing dance music takes a lot of talent, as there’s no magic “make awesome dance track” button that you can push and then you’re done. However, if that’s the case, why does every damn song sound exactly the same? House, electro, dubstep, moombahton, and any other genres that are created this week and fall under the catchall term EDM aren’t something to get pretentious about. It’s dumb music to get f*cked up to and nothing more. A four-on-the-floor beat with a sample of me furiously wanking it would make your typical E-tard lose their sh*t on the dance floor. Granted, I’m a screamer.

“What about my mixing?” you retort. I hate to break it to you but no one cares about that pretentious sh*t except chin-stroking nerds. Then there’s the ever-popular “Selecting the right track at the right time takes skill.” Because, clearly, scrolling through iTunes and finding a song that a room full of people tweaking on bath salts will enjoy requires a PhD in curatorial studies. I’ve seen a f*cking jukebox rock a crowd better than 95 percent of the DJs out there. So no rolling your eyes at me the next time I request that song Rihanna did with Calvin Harris. It’s a party starter! That boring minimal-techno sh*t you fell in love with in Berlin won’t fly over here, you self-important Fleshlights.

As tempting as it may be, let’s not fault Paris, deadmau5, Avicii, Steve Aoki, or even Skrillex. Ripping off clueless rubes is smart business. And at least they’re giving them what they want: obnoxious party music in a dark room where they can get messed up. In a perfect con, the mark walks away not knowing they’ve been taken. I’m not falling for it, though. For $100 you should always demand more than mere knob-twiddling. Read into that statement however you like.
-Michael Mann, July 4, 2012

i think the guy nails it but the bottom line is if this is the kind of music you like, fantastic. whatever floats your goat. if you love raves more power to ya. but call a spade a spade. it's mindless. soulless. yeah, so is pop music but at least some of them are playing instruments and it does take some talent to write a hit.

k.w.
bieber>skrillex
 Redfan45
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2013 8:54:35 AM
Chicago House, I have a lot of mix tapes from the late 80s and early 90s of WBMX and WGCI stuff (yeah and I'm 18 odd I know)
And nothing beats Acid. Detroit techno is good.
Breakbeat, jungle, DnB is awesome, I love Happy Hardcore. I love Hi-NRG and Italo Disco too actually.
I love most EDM except dubstep. Stuff sucks.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/16/2013 11:29:38 PM

"I saw this bumper sticker that said 'Drum Machines Have No Soul.' And I was like, neither does a drum you dumbass!"
- Unknown

you aren't a musician, are ya chuckles? lots of drummers play with soul.

Rock music all sounds the same. Guitar. Bass. Drums. Snare on the 2 & 4. Some guy/girl singing about their feelings. Guitar solo. Drum fill. Yawwwwwnnnn. The 20th century called. They want their boring ass musical formula back. Long live EDM.

that's an awesome observation. what instruments are used in country, blues, r&b, jazz, classical, brazilian, flamenco, folk, gospel, pop, reggae, metal..........? are you really arguing the edm doesn't all sound the same? dj's develop reps for being able to mix so everything sounds like like one endless song. it's all redundant.

k.w.
matt sorum has no soul
 Redfan45
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2013 10:59:22 AM

dj's develop reps for being able to mix so everything sounds like like one endless song. it's all redundant.

I can tell the difference between EDM songs. If they were "all the same" there would only be 1 EDM song in the entire history of music.
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2013 2:44:42 PM
Its not possible that it sounds all the same, I would be bored, and I get bored quick, repeat anything without changes for more than 8 bars and I get violent! Can't we all get along? Ya know what? fck it, we don't need to, people like what they like and hate what they hate. All I can say is, after being brought up with guitar based music, I feel richer also having pc based music to listen to. Its true, live musicians do have more soul, its also true they can't do what pc based music does, so it opens up a whole different world. As far as drums, its almost a moot point, alot of edm drums were sampled off drummers with soul, the entire dnb roots were based off a live drummer via the amen beat....its all good, turn it up!
GJ
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/17/2013 6:50:30 PM
i think some of you need to look into how drum samples in edm are made. for the most part they aren't samples of live drums. they're computer generated. feel free to make some stupid comments if you like. i'm in the music industry. i'm not talking out of my ass. hands up everyone that's worked in a studio. no one? one? two? ahh....

sorry, you can't get "soul" out of a computer. you can get it out of an actual instrument.

unless you play the triangle. there's no soul in the triangle.

i saw lady gaga friday night. she was fantastic. although there were some "rock" aspects to her show, it was an edm show.
some hack was on stage before her with a dj setup. i don't understand why anyone would find that entertaining. if you dig the music, fine, i get that. but what's exciting about a dork behind a turntable? the crowd didn't care for him. wasn't there a contemporary she could have open?

anyway, she has a live band. lots of synths and samples and keyboards too. but it was a live performance of pop flavored edm. what a fantastic talent.

Its true, live musicians do have more soul, its also true they can't do what pc based music does...

interesting. got any examples?

As far as drums, its almost a moot point, alot of edm drums were sampled off drummers with soul, the entire dnb roots were based off a live drummer via the amen beat...

if a lot of edm was sampled from the amen beat it would stand to reason that a lot of edm sounds repetitive, correct?
kinda like rock music. only without any feeling.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/18/2013 8:27:57 PM

But how can you argue that when a person fiddles with his keytar on stage during a synth pop EDM-flavored live performance, it's a valid, "soulful," in-the-moment expression of his musical idea...

prove me wrong. just show me an example of soulful edm. i guess gaga kinda counts but that's through her voice not her keytar. maybe some old school stuff like depeche mode. maybe.

yet when another person fiddles with his MPC or his TR303 during a DJ set, it isn't?

the style of music itself doesn't really bleed emotion.

Your issue seems to be a bitterness about the increasing popularity of prerecorded music at live shows - which should be a different animal from criticizing the artistry and soul of EDM itself.

i think the audience who payed hard earned money to see someone sing live should get to see the artist sing live. most of the shows i see are live with some sampled background vocals. hard to find any genre of music that doesn't use samples of some sort these days. but that has nothing to do with my thoughts on shitty computer generated noise that is so popular right now.

and there's TONS of douchebags in rock, metal, country, punk.......

k.w.
paris hilton is an edm artist. lol
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/25/2013 7:43:36 PM

Now if you don't like any version of EDM that's ok but don't waffle about untrue facts. DAWS don't work without people & instruments.

do you consider a sound card an instrument? that's all you need.

DAWS is just protools for retards. how's that for truth? lol.

did you miss the part about me earning a living in a studio? might have been in another thread. oh well.

slate drums are awesome for home recordings. used their programs for many a demo, but a finished product? never.

k.w
misses the studio
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/26/2013 1:11:17 PM

Can't imagine someone working in a studio with such little knowledge and narrow mindedness so I don't believe you.
If you worked in a studio you would know Protools is a DAW and it doesn't hold any advantage over other pro DAWS these days.

past tense. i'm not in the studio anymore. and you're right. i mixed up daw with dp. my bad. no one really uses the term around here.

For EDM you need more than a sound card you need a DAW, midi keyboard, mixing & mastering knowledge.
Knowledge of music theory .

midi, mixing and mastering doesn't make you a musician. it makes you an engineer or producer.

i'm sure paris hilton has a vast knowledge of musical theory.
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2013 1:32:31 PM

Most EDM has no vocals therefor not forcing a picture in your mind you otherwise would avoid because of the content witch would loose you potential fans.
I like being in the trance and just vibing to the beats surrounded by other people doing the same.
- that is so well said! I find it really suprising what pictures in my head get triggered by such seemingly simple music. I really think you listen to edm in a totally different way than traditional pop structure, its not about the begining or the end or the hook, the groove is the hook.

As for the comment on EDM being soulless that is just that persons personal perspective. But really there is a lot going on if you really know how these productions are developed from the ground up. EDM is a art form in itself . A musician would not be able to do what EDM producers do, unless otherwise they specialize in this genre. There are a lot of fine details that go into these tunes. Just because you can read music and play an instrument does not mean you can load up a VST plug in and be able to program it to the desired sound you want. All these crazy sounds and elements in these productions are from peoples creativity and ability to tweak effect's and all the many devices out there to play and have fun with using them in ways they were not meant to be used. Now to say someone using their creativity is soulless sound pretty self centered and soulless to me just my opinion. Personally I am into music theory and I try to learn as much as possible to make my music better, I love music and my soul is strongly present in any tune I make
- it really amazes me what these producers come up with, especially the sick **stards in drum and bass, great post.......
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/27/2013 12:09:33 PM

Midi keyboard you know what a synthesizer is right? you know it has a load of keys like a piano it is an instrument you use your fingers on it same as playing a piano it has a sustain pedal. I'm gona leave it as that as you are just a troll.

you know you can skip the midi part, right? you can download samples from websites and create your own loops and effects. while you get better results due to the overall control and consistency you have with a midi it isn't necessary to create a track. last night i heard a track that was done from scratch on an ipad.

k.w.
there's more then one way to skin a cat.
 djmfs1013
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2013 2:29:27 AM
Here is my stuff!!

http://soundcloud.com/djmfs

DJ Mixtapes
http://mixcloud.com/djmfs
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/2/2013 9:58:38 PM

Just because you don't or can't appreciate an existing art form, whatever it is it doesn't mean that it is soul-less.

souless:1. lacking any humanizing qualities or influences; dead; mechanical soulless work
2. (of a person) lacking in sensitivity or nobility

emd is not made on a traditional instrument that conveys emotion. it's made on a computer. check out the first definition. just because YOU like it doesn't make it soulful. if you like emd, that's great. you like it because you can do drugs and trip or dance around to a never ending mix of noise or drive you car fast or whatever. whatever floats your goat.

there's tons of souless music. pop, metal, rock, country......there's a market for it in this brainwashed society we have.

i love lady gaga when she sits at a piano and sings. she's full of soul. when she jumps around to a track on stage it's souless. she even says that herself. if one of the biggest acts in emd calls her music souless i'd say you're losing the battle here fellas. when deadmau5 says anyone can do what he does it takes away the magic.

check out these guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vt25v-VKw0

k.w.
no machines
 Proteaus
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/4/2013 7:02:34 PM
Remember back when techno was new . Throw a few boxes of talcum powder on the floor and start dancing , was fun .Was just like dancing on ice .
 ImReadyForUnow
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/21/2013 6:50:12 PM
I'm a huge EDM fan and have been since the late 80's. I do not know anyone else over 30 who appreciates the music and it's hard to get out and enjoy it when you look like everyones mother.
I am hoping to go to the Electric Daisy Carnival this summer where I can get lost in the crowd.
 JS3344
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2013 9:50:07 AM
I got interested in edm real late, i was 50......i went to EDC and the kids thought I was either a narc or a dealer, but it was an incredible experience adding value to my life, and at one point the bass almost broke my sternum, whew, big ups......
 LoveaScorpio
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2013 8:07:46 PM
I LOVE EDM/Trance! Discovered it a little over a year ago when I stumbled on it via satellite radio! Now it's all I listen to. Love Armin van Buuren and Dash Berlin in particular.
 LoveaScorpio
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2013 8:11:55 PM
I'm with you! And I'm over 30! lol I wanted to go to UMF in Miami this past year.
 LoveaScorpio
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2013 8:37:47 PM
k.w., I don't listen to soul-less music of any genre, and there's plenty in all genres. Trance touches me in deep places, these ARTISTS sing about emotional pain that I've experienced and it eases the pain and I don't feel so alone. I ***challenge*** you to listen to UMF Armin van Buuren 2013 on Youtube, he has two sets, one an hour and one an hour and a half. Dash Berlin had a fabulous set last year 2012, listen to Waiting or Disarm Yourself and tell me that's soul-less. Emma Hewitt has the voice of an angel and is "gifted." I challenge you to listen to Jonathan Mendelsohn - Better Half of Me and tell me it's soul-less! I've not heard the particular people you mentioned, but I do know Lady Gaga is NOT considered EDM or Trance. Furthermore, I do not drink or drug and could dance for hours to this music. I don't like all of it, just like I don't like all of Van Halen or Heart or Journey's songs. I cannot believe how you keep trashing EDM/Trance and I have to ask you why? I don't go to rap forums and talk about how trashy I think that music is! You sound like a liberal trying to convert a conservative or vice-verse -- it'll never happen! So you're wasting your energy on us EDM/Trance lovers! Just sayin'...
 bamagrl68
Msg: 67
Posted: 7/11/2013 4:39:38 PM
Davecoach12- I am pretty open when it comes to music, but............
You could use this this type to torture me. Repetitive and annoying, jmo.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/11/2013 11:17:58 PM

I ***challenge*** you to listen to UMF Armin van Buuren 2013 on Youtube, he has two sets, one an hour and one an hour and a half.

i listened to the first ten mins. i really like the vocals. i skipped ahead to a few other parts. very impressive stage . the show is very KISS inspired.
but the music? mindless. but fun. it's like disco or pro wrestling. the emd fans don't hide the fact like the others. hehe

I've not heard the particular people you mentioned, but I do know Lady Gaga is NOT considered EDM or Trance.

i guess you're not that big of a music fan if you don't see gaga as a dance artist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Lady_Gaga

i guess all of those awards should have gone to a computer programer instead?

if you don't like my opinions feel free to ignore them. this is an open discussion. i'm not trying to convert anyone . lol. there's plenty of room for everyone. i'm trying to learn more about emd and the dorks....er....um...fans that listen to it.

k.w.
it's only music
(barely)
 NCnavetG8r
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2013 10:30:37 AM
I'm 49 years old and even I have to admit some of the Electronica music has caught my attention. Not all of it, but some of it is very enjoyable. I think it depends greatly on the artist.

I have to admit I still have a soft spot for real people playing real instruments and real people singing in real voices, you know, hitting the notes with their real voices, not mono-tone corrector software covering their lack of vocal control.

That aside, there are some very musically talented and knowledgeable people out there writing some very entertaining Electronica music. You just have to search around and be open minded to find it.

So far I seem to be enjoying the Dubstep, Trance, Vocal Trance, Chillout-Trance the most. From certain artists anyway. Some of it is very repetitious and lacking in any real emotion, but some is absolutely out of this world awesome!
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >