Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 holby
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Savile inquiry - who do you trust?Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Prison time mistletoe and wine
 kernowmade
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Savile inquiry - who do you trust?
Posted: 8/24/2014 11:29:29 AM
To be honest I always thought that Jimmy Saville was weird, and wouldn't trust him any further than I could throw him. Is there anyone we can trust in show business? I seriously doubt it, all those luvvies are the same, darling this and darling that....it's such a false world. Having met one two in my time, they are all so false and out to pander to their own over inflated ego's. Even the nations 'squeaky clean' darling Sir Cliff, is now being investigated, there's no smoke without fire.
 Jo van
Msg: 79
Posted: 9/1/2014 2:55:56 PM
I read somewhere, someone describing the presence of all the media, and the BBC.,
at the search of Cliff's residence, as a "lynch-mob mentality".

I thought;
" that's a "cliff-hanger"....."
 try1more
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2014 12:20:07 PM
oops!
third time lucky then maybe...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2746370/Revealed-New-boss-investigation-VIP-child-abuse-claims-linked-Leon-Brittan-The-Mail-On-Sunday-exposes-family-friendship-SECOND-inquiry-chief-ex-MP-accused-abuse-file-cover-up.html
 try1more
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2014 1:36:47 PM
yes we all know about our politicians (i prefer the synonym popinjay's :-)) and their graft.
but it's about time their pay rise was performance linked, that should take care of that 9% increase :-)
might even help to close the pay gap if their recent achievements are anything to go by.
 billybonds
Msg: 84
Posted: 9/7/2014 2:23:48 PM
I prefer Panjandrums and payola myself. Now this is very serious issue, the gravity of
which is hard to ponder and yet I think there's hope. Lessons shall have to be learnt of
course and adequate resources marshalled. Hard working, frontline staff must be given
more training.......perhaps by an outside company started three minutes ago by some paedophile
brother of a minster. That eternal line will have to be drawn under all this and a pompous exhortation
bellowed to move on and discuss the really serious issues that blight Britain's hard working families.

....g
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2014 1:07:04 AM
Looks suspiciously like they were taking so much time to try and find a safe pair of hands again. Pretty dumb move considering the nwespapers and child abuse campaigners don't look like letting this one go. I should have thought it pretty easy to find someone competent and trusted. Professor Jay who oversaw the Rotherham inquiry springs to mind. Or the guy who oversaw the Mid Staffs hospital enquiry.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2014 1:14:56 AM
That's absolutely right Lighty, but it doesn't look as though it will go away now despite May's best efforts. Various police forces are investigating and thanks to people like John Mann are talking to each other. The general public can help keep this going by keeping it in the news and signing fruitless petitions ad nauseam until something gives.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 90
Posted: 1/30/2015 1:28:01 PM
Yet another bump - might now have to start a new thread - this one, like real life, seems to meander a little.
The rumour is that we can expect some sort of announcement from on High next week (or so).
Nothing to do with the apparent cover-up orchestrated by the Wonderful Thatcher overlords?
Of course not, perish the thought......The fact that the Peter Hayman non-scandal
has surfaced again has (surely?) nothing to do with it.....Google the name - The Mail seemed
to have 'matters of interest' last year, which seem to have (strangely?) got sat on..........
Most (all?) of these rodents are long dead - this is the Establishment in full arse cover mode.

duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 91
Posted: 2/2/2015 2:32:08 PM
No-one seems to have noticed that the 'Kids in Care Homes' stuff seems to be almost male on male - I really can't believe that Young girls weren't targeted and abused in much the same way, or has the Establishment managed to shift the lot onto Jimmy S and Rolph Harris?
- Own up....this really isn't good enough chaps...........

Justanotherchap
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2015 6:01:30 AM
At last. We now have a New Zealand Judge, as far removed as you can get from our establishment, and one who has previously investigated police failures in child protection. She will also get statutory powers so no more people thinking they can ignore this enquiry.

And to add to my deep joy, the report into Rotherham council has come in saying it is not fit for purpose and resulting in the resignation of the entire council.

Meanwhile, police watchdog the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is investigating 10 South Yorkshire Police officers over their handling of child sexual exploitation in Rotherham.

All of this has only come because of continued pressure by the media and victims otherwise I am sure it would have been buried.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2015 7:32:56 AM
Aye what a sad day that we need to go to new zealand to find someone who is up to standard to hold this inquiry. Our establishment is rotten to the core.
As for rotherham i think a bairn with a biscuit erse could have seen that the council there were not fit for purpose.
Another thing that was stated today is equally sad. Teresa may stated that rotherham, greater manchester and oxford was only the tip of the iceberg.

Christ knows how many bairns are going to have been exploited by beasts and the horror covered up for political reasons. Hopefully they will now get
a voice. Scotland is also holding its own inquiry into large scale child abuse.

Just how deeply involved are south yorkshire polis in both the saville and rotherham horrors? Time will tell though (hopefully)
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 94
Posted: 3/3/2015 11:34:41 AM
Me, being a well-known Forum cynic, finds it not at all strange
that 'call me Dave' has got his knickers in a right twist about
kiddy fiddling (& worse) a few weeks short of a general election
- what went on in the last four years? - there's a frightening
amount of 'lines being drawn, procedures put in place',
and so we move on to a wonderful new dawn...
...no arrests in the House of Lords then?
Now there's a surprise..........

Moi?

Justanotherchap
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2015 6:34:25 AM
Interesting article on the BBC today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31628420 essentially saying that the government back in the late 70s and 80s the government was trying to find new ways to fund the NHS, crumbling old hospitals needed fund raisers and Saville wa the highet profile of them all. He was assigned to task forces and committees bypassing the checks and balances in the structure. It was thought that Saville would walk away from helping if too much bureaucracy was put in his way. It would seem to be all done for the right reasons but failed. Even when concerns were raised by NHS bodies about Saville they were brushed aside. Here's the pertinent bits but read the full article yourself.

I have read a fair bit about why aeroplane accidents happen and they are always a sequence of events which if each one had been questioned in turn usually the accident could have been averted. Seems to be the same here.

The report suggests that essential safety nets were waived by ministers and senior civil servants in Whitehall because the Thatcher government wanted to use Savile as the poster-boy for charitable funding of the NHS.

"Successive politicians and NHS and DHSS senior officers feted Savile and placed him in a position of authority and trust," the report says, singling out Health Minister Dr Gerard Vaughan for particular criticism.

"It is evident to the investigation that in his desire to promote a public /private partnership an unorthodox arrangement was put into place (that) bypassed statutory frameworks and resulted in the disempowerment of NHS commissioners and managers."

The report explains how Dr Vaughan assigned James Collier, a senior civil servant at the DHSS, to remove obstacles. "Savile was understood to be likely to walk away from the project if bureaucratic processes hindered his autonomy."

The investigations says that Collier "did not just sweep aside bureaucracy to enable the project, he was instrumental, once he had been placed in charge of the scheme, in sweeping aside some legitimate concerns raised by statutory bodies".
 Jo van
Msg: 96
Posted: 3/8/2015 11:33:37 AM
I heard that (allegedly) Maggie was well aware of Cyril Smith's paedophile tendencies, BEFORE he was knighted.
The thought of children being raped by a 500 pound man makes my flesh crawl.

I've also heard that there's more "smoke" in the on-going Cliff saga.(-/hanger)
perhaps he'll re-release "The Young Ones", to capitalise on the publicity?

Like Sa Vile, SIR Cliff is also a "devout christian",
and then there were all those priests.
-Perhaps it's something in their "culture"...?

I'm hoping the 'kiwi' judge is an atheist......
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 97
Posted: 3/8/2015 11:58:15 AM
Even more of a problem is that it seems to have taken FIVE requests by the Mail to get the relevant information.
The cover-up goes on (& on & on) - We. the public, will never know the real truth........

vlad dracul
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2015 5:39:45 AM
Been reading a couple of things on the biased bbc site this morning regarding stoat the baw jimmy saville. Apparently the bbc is having a night of the long knives regarding the saville scandal. A nice wee link to the grauniad who have printed the following. The bbc being intolerant and covering up stories. Who'd have thunk it?

"Nobody from John Humphrys in the morning to Evan Davis at night dares mention a scandal at the BBC. It undermines their reporting of every abuse whistleblowers reveal. It reinforces the dirty common sense of British life that you must keep your head down if you want to keep your job.

The scandal is simply this: the BBC is forcing out or demoting the journalists who exposed Jimmy Savile as a voracious abuser of girls. As Meirion Jones put it to me: “There is a small group of powerful people at the BBC who think it would have been better if the truth about Savile had never come out. And they aim to punish the reporters who revealed it.”

Jones was one of the BBC’s best investigative producers. He had suspected that Savile was not the “national treasure” the BBC, NHS, monarchy and public adored, ever since he had seen Savile take girls away in his car from an approved school his aunt ran in the 1970s. He broke the story which showed that Savile was one of the most prolific sex abusers in British history, and handed the BBC what would have been one of its biggest scoops. If it had run it. Which, of course, it did not. The editor of Newsnight banned the report. Thus began a cover-up which tore the BBC apart.

A week ago, Jones’s managers told him that a temporary assignment on Panorama was over. He should have been able to go back to his old job. But there was no old job to go back to. He had been fired.

Jones’s reporter on the Savile film was Liz MacKean, who documents the sufferings of the powerless – whether it be raped children in Britain or persecuted gay men in Putin’s Russia.

But she spoke out, so the BBC forced her out too. “When the Savile scandal broke,” she told me, “the BBC tried to smear my reputation. They said they had banned the film because Meirion and I had produced shoddy journalism. I stayed to fight them, but I knew they would make me leave in the end. Managers would look through me as if I wasn’t there. I went because I knew I was never going to appear on screen again.”

The BBC press office bridled when I described Jones and MacKean as “whistleblowers”. As the Pollard review of the Savile scandal had concluded that BBC management had acted in “good faith”, I must not call them that.

If you are tempted to agree, consider the sequel. Panorama responded magnificently to the news that the BBC had killed the Savile scoop. It broadcast a special documentary, which earned the highest audience in the programme’s history. Jones and MacKean described how their journalism had been suppressed, and Panorama went on to document Savile’s crimes. How open the BBC is, I thought. What other institution would subject itself to the same level of self-criticism?

What a fool I was. Since then, BBC managers have shifted Tom Giles, the editor of Panorama, out of news. Peter Horrocks, an executive who insisted throughout the scandal that the BBC must behave ethically, announced last September that he was resigning to “find new challenges”. Clive Edwards, who as commissioning editor for current affairs oversaw the Panorama documentary, was demoted. The television trade press reported recently that his future is “not yet clear” (which doesn’t sound as if he has much of a future at all).

Compare their treatment with those who did nothing to advance the public interest. As the Savile crisis deepened in the autumn of 2012, the BBC brought in Adrian Van Klaveren, the then head of Radio 5, to supervise news. He allowed Newsnight to falsely imply that Lord McAlpine was a child abuser – an allegation that every journalist who had investigated the child abuse allegations in North Wales could have told him was ridiculous. The disaster of Newsnight covering up the abuse by the BBC’s own celebrity rapist and then falsely accusing an innocent man led to the resignation of the director-general George Entwistle.

But Van Klaveren has been promoted, not squeezed out. He is head of something called “strategic change”. Helen Boaden, the BBC head of news at the time of the censorship, is now on the BBC’s executive board. Peter Rippon, the Newsnight editor who blocked Jones and MacKean, now has a comfortable job managing the BBC’s archive.

If the BBC had exposed Savile, viewers would have admired its honesty. If it had bent over backwards to ensure that Jones and MacKean did not suffer for speaking out, everyone would say that it was behaving as a free institution should, rather than looking like the official broadcaster of a paranoid dictatorship or the board of directors of HSBC.

A senior BBC press officer vowed to “drip poison about Meirion’s suspected role”. He was later promoted. Peter Rippon said that if Jones spoke freely: “I will throw shit at him”.

The case of Jones and MacKean makes my point. I have reported on it in the Observer and Private Eye has covered it too. But the Tory press, which daily bashes the BBC, has avoided the story. You only have to look at the Telegraph to understand why it does not want to encourage insubordination. Its journalists must resign before they can protest against HSBC’s control of its news pages.

The power of hierarchies is hard to break. But if you want to fight fraud in the City or the rape of children, it has to be broken. A start can be made by insisting that everyone from John Humphrys in the morning to Evan Davis at night tells the truth about the purge of the BBC’s truth tellers."
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/08/bbc-whistleblowers-jimmy-savile
 GeordieColin
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2015 5:18:06 PM
Not the media. It is too hot for them to handle. So the government? No way. They have too many implications of self interest. The police? Who controls them?
The victims? How much do they have to go through to be heard? How many give up for whatever reason? All that endless governments in power want is to win the next election. No forward thinking for the long term good. That will always be dictated to them.
What is the answer ?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2015 8:37:39 AM
The outgoing president of Chile says the first thing you must do is to get rich people out of politicians, after all they are from the top less than 1 per cent of the population but supposedly representing the other 99 per cent. Once you do that and close all the public (private!) schools you might be able to start to move forward for the long term.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 101
Posted: 12/20/2015 3:14:30 AM
With the untimely death of Lord Janner, yet another tranche of allegations vanish.
It's amazing how much of this stuff can be made to go away if you keep the delay
tactics running -
I'm thinking (amongst others) of a certain large northern politician, the well known
charity dj and that plummy bloke with a boat (?)
No doubt there are others that will de-materialise as the 'enquiry' meanders on
for a few more years - as long as 'they' go through the motions (slowly),
it will keep the Daily Wail readership moderately quiet.
At least we seem lately to be spared the traipse of elderly entertainers being
used as soft targets, which made for a wonderful distraction...........

Justanotherchap
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2015 3:13:04 AM
Must admit to seeing a report recently saying that the current Historic enquiry could run for another 5 to 10 years. My heart dropped reading that thinking that once again the victims/survivors were being treated just as badly as before. I do realise that these investigations do need to be done properly and do take time but this enquiry is only to find out what happened and why, its remit does not include bringing anyone to book for it. It is sadly looking increasingly like another thing being can being kicked down the road, into the long grass before ending up under the carpet.

Is there any hope for justice in this country.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2016 4:38:00 AM
This thread was started in 2012. 4 years on are we any further forward?

Right upfront light said something about "will the truth ever come out" - paraphrased. Seems like it is being nicely buried.

And before we get to the end of that, one ex footballer comes forward to the Gaurdian to reveal what happened to him. Closely followed by another 3 ex professionals. Once that was out of the bag with a week or so we have the NSPCC saying they are getting more calls than at the beginning of the Saville enquiry, 18 police forces investigating allegations, 2 people arrested and charged so far. It goes on.

Now we are getting allegations about the police and abusive behaviour. Just listening to the phone in on R2, looks like that is going to hit the fan too.

Can't see an end to this..
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 104
Posted: 12/8/2016 10:07:32 AM
Dolphin Square seems to have been (conveniently?) dissed.
The football stuff won't be easy to get rid of, but I note that
a lot of the revelations already concern dead (alleged) abusers....
convenient, that.
We are going to have a never ending tale of abuse in every field
that involves close contact between children and adults (both sexes).
These allegations will range from the 'historic' to stuff that happened
last Tuesday fortnight. This is, imo, inevitable.
I can't wait to see the already collapsing abuse enquiry saddled with
what's going to come.........so far I've not seen an MP or living
member of the Upper House that doesn't seem to live a charmed life.
........interesting times..........

(formerly Lightstar1)
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2018 4:01:06 AM
Whatever happened to that historical abuse enquiry? 3 years on and counting (or is it 4, 5 or 6?)

In the news today.....................

A Catholic priest has been jailed for nine years for sexually abusing three children and a student priest in crimes spanning more than 20 years.

Father Paul Moore, 82, committed the crimes in various locations in Ayrshire between 1977 and 1996.

The court heard how he abused one boy at a school, another at a leisure centre and a third on the beach at Irvine in the 1970s.

He was also found guilty of indecently assaulting a student priest in 1995.

Priest convicted of abuse 20 years after confession
The judge Lady Rae told Moore he was guilty of despicable crimes and a gross breach of trust.

She also said the victims had shown considerable courage in coming forward.

The youngest was just five when the priest abused him in his primary school.

The court heard that the priest groomed some of his victims by taking them swimming or out for meals before sexually abusing them.

A BBC Scotland investigation revealed five years ago that Moore confessed his abuse to his bishop in 1996.

Bishop Maurice Taylor, 91, gave evidence in the trial and told the court Moore admitted he had "an attraction to young boys" and had "a desire to abuse minors".

The bishop sent him to a treatment centre in Toronto and to Fort Augustus Abbey in the Highlands.

Moore was removed from the pastoral ministry after his admission but continued to live in a house purchased by the church.

The priest, who was identified in court as Francis Moore but was known as Father Paul, was found guilty after a trial at the High Court in Glasgow.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2018 1:54:18 AM
A small gesture i know but a correct one. I think a bigger message would have been sent out if no hierarchy from the bead rattlers faith attended obriens funeral.

I'm delighted he was not buried at St Marys down in what was known as 'little ireland'. One of my best mates funeral was in there. And my football team Hibernian FC were formed in St Marys. James Connolly the socialist was born a stones throw from St Marys.

Obrien was a stoat the baw and so in my mind he should have no forgiveness from anyone. I think it's disrespectful to inter his body with his parents. Lots of families go to mount vernon some of who will have been abused as bairns.

Over 200 attended the burial which I'm a bit gobsmacked at.

I have attended many funerals in mount vernon. It's the main catholic cemetery in Edinburgh. If i was a bead rattler i would be protesting loudly.

"Disgraced Cardinal to be denied funeral mass in Edinburgh and will not be buried at St Mary's Cathedral, Catholic Church says.

Cardinal O’Brien, who stepped down as Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh in 2013, and relinquished all duties after admitting sexual misconduct, will not be accorded a full requiem mass in his own diocese and will not be buried at the city’s St Mary’s Cathedral.

Instead he is to be interred at Mount Vernon Cemetery, Edinburgh, in the same grave as his parents – which the Church said was in accordance with his own wishes.

He wouldn’t have been demanding to get buried with all the pomp and ceremony of Cardinal Winning’s funeral, for example”.

However not everyone agreed. One Church insider said Cardinal O’Brien had told friends that he expected to be buried at St Mary’s, as would traditionally have been the case.

The fact that his successor as Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh, Archbishop Leo Cushley, will not officiate is another breach with tradition, although the Church said he would be “one of the main celebrants.”

It is not yet clear whether some or all of Scotland’s eight bishops will attend the funeral mass on April 5, with a spokesman for the diocese indicating it may be up to individuals to decide whether to participate.

The lengthy delay of 17 days between Cardinal O’Brien’s death and his planned burial means it will now take place after Easter, when many priests are traditionally on holiday.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16110060.Disgraced_Cardinal_to_be_denied_funeral_mass_in_Edinburgh/
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >