Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Do you workout harder/more intense if an attractive female is around?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 junkfoodjunkie79
Msg: 25
Do you workout harder/more intense if an attractive female is around?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
It is somewhat motivation... Although when one comes by me at the gym, so does 5 other guys, grunting and dropping weights.. I go to the other side of the gym then.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 26
Do you workout harder/more intense if an attractive female is around?
Posted: 10/27/2012 6:09:09 PM
I recently went from a gym that was almost all guys ( co-ed and ladies only sides ) and never crowded to one that was strictly co-ed at a the university in town ( plenty of late teen early 20's girls ). I can't say it has made any difference to how intensely I work other than the fact that the new gym is more crowded and there is a little more waiting or improvising on my workout with all the youngsters chatting each other up.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2012 4:57:07 AM
Dino57

an aside...Ive found that a positive over the years. I tend to get into a routine over months and when some machine, station, dumb bell set is being used, etc., then it forces me to be a bit more imaginative in my routine.

I'll sometimes switch between our community gyms, that at the university, etc. for some variety.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/30/2012 4:14:28 PM
For me, yes, good looking people definitely give me more motivation to workout. Yes, there is more distraction, but I would say that the distraction is countered by motivation. It's harder to get motivated if everyone else in the gym is out of shape. No, I don't view the gym as a place to pick up women. In fact, a lot of women I know don't want their workout disturbed (small talk is OK, but don't hold anyone up). I wouldn't look at the gym as a pickup place either as there are plenty of other places for it.

From a dating perspective: You'll get further with a funny conversation than a large bicep.
 Daytona_Dave
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/10/2013 12:45:48 PM
my 100% effort in a set is the same regardless if there's a hottie beside me or not, and like the guy above me mentioned most woman don't want to be disturbed at the gym just like me. however i've found the best way to get an attractive womans attention is to first acknowledge she's there with a friendly smile and then just go about your business completing your workout. she'll respect you because you left her alone when she was busy, you finished your own workout which shows you take your health seriously while the whole time she knows that she caught your attention. win,win,win!
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/10/2013 1:19:19 PM
I had a guy tell me he went to the gym with his friend, and they were both single men. He had more stamina than his friend, was running while his friend wanted to walk. A pretty asian girl checked him out prolly cause he had a bit more stamina. His friend noticed and quickly wanted to leave. So yes, I do believe some men try to work out harder to impress women.
 Blueberryeggos
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/10/2013 1:54:51 PM
Ok I'll call myself shallow but yes, I have extended workouts longer than usual when attractive women enter the gym. Im still focused on what Im doing and not creeping on them, but still go on another 20-30 minutes longer than usual.
 Darwin1971
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2013 3:35:26 PM

What people do and why they do it is complete subjective, thus it can not be measured or quantified.
When I am in the gym and there is a hot girl I tend to not watch her and watch how some of the other guys act, as it can be both interesting and entertaining.
I would say I do notice more grunting, weight banging and general all around peacocking, but also keep in mind that this behavior is from a select few.
So I would say that guys do it, when it is the type of guy that would do it.

I agreee with this and I also people watch like this.. funny stuff
oh do i clean up my lifting form or suck in my own gut a little more? hell yes im a guy!
 YaOhYa307
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/10/2013 5:37:21 PM
If people would try to impress others in more important ways maybe we could spend less time on these sites. ;)
 N2H20
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:08:06 PM
No, my workout doesn't increase in intensity when a hottie is nearby even though I workout solo. I'm in the gym to focus on my workout. Meeting a partner is bonus.
 koski456
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/11/2013 5:13:41 AM
Me personally, don't really care but eye candy is never a bad thing. I have been known to stay and stretch a bit longer when there are alot of hot girls in the gym though. Although my buddy did do a few extra reps this past weekend when being checked out. I thought it was kind of funny when he mentioned it.
 Rosettast0ned
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/11/2013 9:02:30 AM
No. I work better without distractions. I also lift in a private powerlifting gym, where the girls are there to work and not show off. We have a small amount of females, and they all deadlift over 300lbs.
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/11/2013 11:24:39 AM
Seriously? Simple answer no. Sure there are some nice looking women there. But I focus on my workout its more important.
 matchlight
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2013 10:03:55 AM
When I work out, I go all out. All I'm thinking about is getting the discomfort over with so I can go sit in the sauna. There aren't many attractive women at my gym, but it wouldn't make any difference to me if there were. I'm in my old gym trunks and a long-sleeved T-shirt, so there's not much skin to show off.
 MisterNumber11
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/14/2013 6:31:53 PM
If it's a specific pretty woman then I will most likely peacock around for a bit but I learned long ago that most women do not care about powerlifting and many just find it gross and weird (their words not mine) so for average women no but for a few women that I know who really enjoy the sight of guys doing max effort singles, sure.

What really pushes me is if some of my competition is in the gym, especially around meet time, if I can get in their heads and throw them off their game I am all for it.
 NutritionNerd
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/15/2013 7:35:48 AM
It depends if she is lifting more than me or not ;)
 JohnnyVegas007
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/26/2013 8:54:48 PM
Oh Most Definetly bro I Know I do its like if your in a fight on the street and a few hot girls show up are you gonna try leas to win no your gonna make an example of the fuy your fighting in order to look impressive to the girls and its like an ego thing not all guys are like that but put it this way, Heres a title for your paper.... Are You A MUFASA Or An Uncle Scar? you get the picture right.. The more you get in shape the clearer the answer will be to you
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/28/2013 4:27:54 PM
I don't know about working out harder...
but I do put more weights on the bar.
:-P
 roadrunner2525
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/28/2013 9:38:14 PM
Not at all I see attractive women in the gym and I love to watch them but I don't forget what I am there for. I push myself for myself, the whole purpose of that is to feel better and look better. I would like to think that eventually I might mold myself into someone that women like to stare at but I don't delude myself with it. I can't believe they write papers on this kind of stuff in college. Of all things that people could learn they want to focus on total crap. I am on another thread asking about college and what I can get from it in a short period of time, like maybe a year or so. I am digging for information on how it leads to good jobs, not to be Debbie Downer but this really irks me. Is this just a trick to see if a student will blow up on anger. I guess I am slowly getting my answers. What college is going to represent in the end is a piece of paper that you can hand to a potential employer and show that you attended higher learning. He will then hand you a job that pays twice as much as the average person whom works at McDonalds.Please tell me that you have other classes where there is something to be learned.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2013 5:11:07 PM
Last time I goggled a fox at the gym she got mad at me so hellifino. Can't live without em, can't tackle em. Life goes on oO
 DragonBits
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/1/2013 6:59:59 PM
If there are any attractive females in my area that want to work out, I am willing to test out the theory.
 geekymister
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/2/2013 2:31:55 AM
I head to the 5 pound dumbbells. Not intense at all. I actually lose a workout day.
 Chipsss
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2013 10:09:46 AM
My hypothesis is that guys will workout/train harder if there is an attractive girl around them

I saw an article about an experiment on this exact same question and I think the answer was "yes", you'll have to find it though.

Personally for me no, not at the time, I work out as hard as I work out regardless, but I admit that if I am sitting on my behind doing nothing constructive (like watching TV or surfing net); an image of an attractive woman is usually subliminal for "Get off your a** and start working out" if I have not been working out as often as usual.
 Albvs
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/3/2013 1:52:24 PM

I ignore everybody in the gym regardless of gender. It's about me and the equipment.
 JCRASH1
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2013 9:49:07 AM
Yes I work out harder if attractive females are around yes we work out for ourselves but a big part of it is to look better to the opposite sex
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Do you workout harder/more intense if an attractive female is around?