Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dare to
Msg: 60
What women really look at on your profile...Page 2 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)

Where as the guys will email a babe who's profile reads "I yike tater totts".
Sure ... If they are only looking for a place to park their penis...
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 61
What women really look at on your profile...
Posted: 10/18/2012 6:21:46 PM

Sure ... If they are only looking for a place to park their penis..

A lot of men are like that and a lot of women will go after a chippendale bod with neanderthal manners and the IQ of a field mouse.
 Dare to
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/18/2012 8:57:10 PM
^^^^^ Yes i absolutely agree that there are plenty of women around like that.. Just as there are plenty of men who will do the same, going after pretty women with great bodies who treat them badly.. The OP seems all bent out of shape that some women can be as guilty of it as men and wants to demean every other female because of it..

I just think if they don't like the photos they won't move on and look at anything else on the profile.
Thats probably quite correct... Do mean that you do?? If a woman messages you and you don't like what you see, will you still contact her and consider her for a relationship? What about if she has a great written profile??? There's probably plenty of women on here who will testify that doesn't happen very often..

But in saying that... I think most women will look at a photo and if they don't find him repulsive they will then look at the profile and go from there.. At least that's what i did when i was looking..

MotoGPatrick
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/18/2012 9:27:07 PM

Do mean that you do?? If a woman messages you and you don't like what you see, you'll still contact her and consider her for a relationship even if she has a great written profile???

Of course not.. However unlike many women I am not grading what I see on an entirely different scale when I am logged in than when I am on the town.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/18/2012 9:55:04 PM
moto: heh. i like your last post. ive noticed that a woman most men would consider a 5 in the real world, acts like shes a 7 online, maybe even 8. all my friends who use online dating have said the same thing.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/19/2012 9:46:41 AM
From the studies I have seen the only way to get 8 out of 10 replies is for a guy who is a 10 to email a woman that is a 4.

I have dated via online dating a bit. I don't know that I would ever call it a very successful venture. Online dating is inherently flawed. I have had lackluster results on a few sites despite all the compliments on my profile or photos.

It is something to do during down time on deployment. When I get back I will just head out, have fun and see who I bump into. It usually works so much better.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/19/2012 11:15:35 AM
My key 'warning' in a profile is self-declarations of worth, and especially beauty - the ones that say they are 'attractive', 'clever', 'a good match', 'look younger than my age', stuff like that.
Those get my reward for being the shallow narcissists that never look past a profile photo. Why? Because any time I have messaged one of them and got a reply, their opinion was based primarily on my pictures, with ZERO reference to anything I wrote in my letter OR in my profile.

-- I send emails that are the 'proper' three-paragraph variety with references to their profiles and questions about them that are not included in their writings, so don't write me off as the shallow 'Hi, how are you?' note writer! I'm also not shallow about who I write messages to - I do not stick to just the supermodels or the 'Thin' or 'Athletic' ones - so don't write me off for my choices of women.
------------------------------

I don't think they only look at photos. I just think if they don't like the photos they won't move on and look at anything else on the profile.

I think Moto has a significant point here - ladies DO have a 'Checklist' and follow it pretty tightly...

I have observed that if my primary profile photo is not one of my 'Best' pictures, ladies don't even look at my profile - no matter how beautiful of an e-mail I had written for them. If you look at my profile, you can tell a couple of my pics are much better quality that the others for showing my face. If I switch my primary pic out to a different one that's not so flattering, almost NOBODY new shows up in my 'Viewed Me' list, and NOBODY looks at my profile when I've messaged them. (It used to say 'Unread/Deleted' before they changed the free software around.)

I'm sorry if you feel women are more substantive about looking at profiles - but my own experience tells me if we don't show up our best FIRST, the rest doesn't matter. If there is one thing true about online dating, it's the notion of 'disposable' people online - if they don't immediately turn your crank, dump their profile and move on. Sad but true - of both sexes.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/19/2012 1:38:28 PM
One thing everyone should try is the site called "My best face" where you can check the appeal of a number of your photos then make a decision on which one for the main photo.

As for what women and men want when they read profiles it varies by the culture of that area. I will let a snip from the profile of an LA lady tell the story about out here.

I joined because even though LA is a HUGE city, I find myself meeting all the wrong guys. Seriously... I don't know what it is?!? I feel like a lot of guys in LA just want arm candy and girls just want sugar daddy's, lol. Sad but so true! Oh LA!!!

That is just one.. I can find plenty of other ladies griping about the way it generally is out in LA.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/19/2012 5:56:15 PM
Haydenfan-- Are you a fan of motorcycle racing.. Nicky Hayden?

Back on topic..

My primary point is that the reasoning behind why these guys think they are failing is wrong.

I have the social skills. Got game but not a player. Have the good job.. Not a male model by no means but based on the compliments I get far better than average my age. With all this going for me by the logic of the whiners here I must have a full mail box.. Guess what I don't on here.

When I try to find a date the old fashioned way.. You know go out and about... It is so much easier than online. Online ladies have to weed out all the trumped up profiles and dishonest photos. But out IRL upstaging and standing out from the vast majority of other guys nearing 40 is rather easy for me. It's not because of the six pack. more like that guy can see his feet and the other guy can't. one point for me..

Online is not due to the approach either. I started out making common mistakes but have learned from them. Most guys will email the top 20% of women because they have the guts to try online but not in person. I would say that I am much more likely to email the top 20% because in reality I make passes at women just like those profiles in person. The results are just not the same online as IRL.

So if you have a hard time winning over women in real life internet dating is not your savior. If you can't keep it light, fun and positive you won't make a good first in either kind of dating.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/19/2012 6:27:18 PM
I bumped into Nicky at the D-store in orange county... and not at any sort of public appearance or anything. I did not want to bug him or hold him up but from the little bit of chatting he seemed like a rather down to earth guy.

As for Cali vs Kentucky...

Try marketing yourself to not only Cali but LA women for dates next summer while at a remote military base in Afghanistan.

I think I can pull it off but man it is work.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/19/2012 11:52:41 PM
^^^^
Now now... that is not fair to the mentally disabled.

Douche-bag is what you were looking for..

This way a less fortunate group that cannot help it does not have to be associated with classless douche-bags like him.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2012 6:49:56 AM

I have made fake profiles in order to see whether or not women were gold diggers. Sure enough, the results of my experiment didn't surprise me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please.
So are you really unemployed or is this another fake profile to see who wants a broke bored guy?
 peachesandcreaa
Msg: 83
Posted: 10/20/2012 4:03:52 PM
You go girl. I hear that!
 dahlingdarling
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2012 2:36:03 AM

I wonder if as much time that went into this experiment was put into your profile and good clear pictures if you would still be single?

Hilarious.

@OP
This experiment has some likelihoods to me:
Likely the gals didn't even bother to read his profile...no different than guys.

More likely the gals didn't care what was in his profile as he was hot....no different than guys.

Most likely the gals considered getting a model material guy to be successful and having better results versus getting an average guy. No different than how you considered the a**hole to be more 10 times more successful and having better results because more gals responded to him versus the quality of the gals or the outcome.

Possibly likely that you're biased as you stated 'maybe' guys would have the same results suggesting you think guys are more honest. I highly doubt that considering the deception many guys have in getting laid and the 'nice guy' whine from guys claiming they message only average gals not the attractive gals. In my opinion guys and gals are on similar ground with the majority not owning up to their shallowness or hypocrisy.
 Laughingfromtheheart
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/21/2012 12:48:43 PM
Ha ha Big surprise that we women are just as horney as men and I am sure that if an extremely attractive women put a half naked picture up, and said a bunch of terrible things about men on her profile they would write her good stuff too never having read her profile.

Women IN general love the bad boy and some of think we can change him, OR we want to have at least one hot time with a bad boy so when we find "The One" we can smile a dirty smile at the memory.

I have had more guys ask me questions when they contact me that Had they read my profile they would have had better questions to ask me. Its a little exhausting to write a long well thought out profile only to realize no one bothered to read it. I by the way shortened mine. My female friends tell me it was too long winded and guys get distracted too easily and won't take the time to read the whole thing.

Just my little two cents.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2012 1:00:41 PM

guys get distracted too easily and won't take the time to read the whole thing.

^^^^^^^^

They often say "I read the whole thing" yet mention NADA that is on it.

I am impressed when they actually read the headlines on the pictures.

REALLY..Then if they get to interests and mention that ,I'm absolutely blown away.

Unfortunately if they are not attractive to me it doesn't matter except I may reply and add "good luck to you".
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/21/2012 10:44:16 PM
I really don't mind tasteful yoga or bikini photos but in reality a photo riding a horse or even geared up riding her motorcycle makes a more lasting impression.

As for abs shots.. Studies have found that it actually does work for the "kids" 18 to early 20's.. Young women are not looking for substance with as much priority on it as those in their 30's..

For me the lingerie photos out the gate cause me to totally ignore the profile. Gives the idea that they have nothing else of value. I also feel the mail box reaction from that means she is just looking for attention and not dates.

I am sure I will cause a fuss with this but here goes anyway. Many... of course not all... women online are day dreaming.. Reality flies out the window. "Should I respond to this good catch when there are so many other guys on here.. Mr absolutely perfect has to be on here." Rather similar to what a lot of guys are doing as well....

They are usually far better about it than guys but plenty of women don't read profiles either.. Some do and don't really think about the implications of some rather gigantic rifts between what we each are looking for. They see an accomplished, intelligent,energetic (their words) and employed guy online after just getting home with their 5 kids in the mini-van. My profile states has no kids and wants them.. I am willing to consider blending but if you don't want any more it won't work.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/22/2012 11:47:04 AM
I have been everywhere from pinching pennies to reasonably well off today. As education, full-time earnings, part time rank in the guard, and status symbols all gained.. the number of attractive women interested did increase.

Having lived on both sides...

In reality it is overrated and miss understood. Lots of interest from those you have no interest in really.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 97
Posted: 10/22/2012 11:48:12 AM
I have been everywhere from pinching pennies to reasonably well off today. As education, full-time earnings, part time rank in the guard, and status symbols all gained.. the number of attractive women interested did increase.

Having lived on both sides...

In reality it is overrated and miss understood. Lots of interest from those you have no interest in really.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 102
Posted: 10/22/2012 2:58:57 PM
Does 1,727 Millimeters sound more impressive than 5'8"?
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 105
Posted: 10/22/2012 8:49:11 PM

So enlighten all of us how you are simply "rejected" because you're not tall enough.

Match dot com lists height preferences for people in their profiles - both minimum and maximum. Most ladies 5'4" and over list their MINIMUM requirements at roughly 4" taller - so say 5'8" MINIMUM for 5'4" - what that means is the computer's search engine uses that to determine a Match when searching. The kicker is, shorter ladies (at least in my market) at 5'3" and shorter suddenly punch their MINIMUMS back up to 5'10" or taller - not all of them, but a lot - like 70 to 80%.

Rejection comes in all forms - but if you really want to know what it's like online - change your 6'3" height to 5'5" and watch all the 'Chicks' suddenly flock away from your profile. The opposite happens when us average height guys lie and say we're 6'0" instead of 5'8".

The average American Male is 5'9" and 189 pounds - which is almost exactly what I am. EVERYONE in here is looking for 'above average,' so unless you are near or below that line - seriously - you have NO idea what it's like to be - maybe not 'rejected' - but OVERLOOKED by hundreds of women.

Do you even meet these chicks?

No. Because 'chicks' who dig taller guys usually won't look twice at a 'short' profile, even if you send them a really decent message. Once again, Match experience proves that.
----------------------
Ladies have all kinds of 'Deal Breakers' that they use to keep the unwanted people out - smoking, tattoos, drinking, motorcycles, kids, dead animals, whatever - but height is a big one, and it is not something guys can change or really do ANYthing about - except lie - and at least for STEP ONE of online dating - starting a conversation - it's worth the risk because it DOES show immediate benefits.

Online dating is utterly worthless unless you can establish communication and meet someone, and this 'screening' of profiles is absolutely brutal for all kinds of reasons - both male and female. Ladies get angry when they've been deceived into meeting someone who wasn't quite what they expected - but that still means we get a chance to MEET. I refuse to 'prove' myself in a virtual environment because it means NOTHING. Meeting in Real Life is always going to be the best lie-breaker.

Ladies; if you want honesty, then stop limiting your searches to the top 1/3 of the class, and ignoring less-than-perfect guys that are genuine about their interests. If you still want to meet the 6'3" 'Chick' magnet with a brain of steel, that's totally up to you - but don't come here b1tching about all men being pigs when that is EXACTLY what you went looking for.

Now, there are at least two dozen female 'regulars' in these forums that get annoyed when I say that kind of crap, and will quote the hell out of me and switch my words around to make it sound like I am demanding all women to like me. I frankly don't care if they do or not, but I know for a fact they don't even READ MY PROFILE if my 'specs' are not up to 'par', and that really annoys the crap out of me. It's not about demanding someone to fall in love - it's about even being considered for the job.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 106
Posted: 10/22/2012 9:25:56 PM
danimal: good post man, spot on with a lot of it too. i dont think height is quite as big a factor as you make it out to be though. my friend, who does really well on pof, is only 5'9, and says as much on his profile. he still gets messages like crazy from many attractive women in our area, most of which are younger than he is. its all about your pics bro.

the women here say they want honesty, but they respond to lies. they say they want a decent guy that will treat them right, but they only go out with the guy with the most "chemistry" ive said it many times man, these women are UNDATEABLE. there are a few of em like this outside of pof, but this site is chock full of them. i advise everyone not just looking to get laid to stay away from online dating.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 108
Posted: 10/22/2012 10:16:11 PM
mizeat: every single woman i have ever known to have a profile on here was at best misleading, but mostly lying. i dont know about anyone else here, but i dont believe any of them.

there ARE still some decent women on sites like this, just as there are still some decent men on here. they are just vastly outnumbered by the broken and undateable ones. problem is, by the time you actually run into someone worthwhile on here, youre already sick and tired of dealing with all the crap from the undateables.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 111
Posted: 10/23/2012 12:57:39 AM
^^^
Kind of a harsh way to put it but lots of truth to that.

I don't bother with anything but the forums.. One of the better online dating forums.

Monarchski
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2012 5:15:21 AM
This is really kind of a non-issue to me. Those women that are replying to a guy being a jerk on his profile because he has his shirt off are the types that don't read and then delete my messages and I never contact them again. Problem solved. You can write anything you want on your profile but if you don't actually mean what you say, you'll be found out eventually.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >