Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 smilingirishgal
Msg: 113
view profile
History
What women really look at on your profile...Page 3 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
I really don't get why men feel the need to bash women! Men and women do the same things to each other yet the men can never take it! Its horrible etc call them every name under the sun. There are men that are a wolf in sheeps clothing, meaning they "say" they want a relationship when it comes to the crunch all they want is sex. Sorry but thats wrong. And I presume the same can be said for women. Some people on here do actually want to build a relationship. It is like a bar using the pics here, obviously you look at the pic and READ the info to find out more bout the person. If someone can't be bothered to fill it in you know what they are after. Plain and simple. Get over it, tired of reading men bashing women, when they do exactly the same thing.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 114
What women really look at on your profile...
Posted: 10/23/2012 9:24:35 AM
They do many similar things. They do not do the exact same thing.

I really don't get why men feel the need to bash women!

Probably because for men finding a good one is even more difficult than women finding a man who just isn't out to get mr winky wet.

I call a spade a spade. If I thought all women were like that I would not still be looking.
I would say that A LOT of women are... just as A LOT of men just want to screw... I will give you that.

We have to the lion-share of the introducing and pursuing. In doing so we find many women turn into an insufferable prima-donna the moment they log in..

If I was not the relationship type and just wanted sex I would have no problem finding it at all. I get offers. Offline I have found a note saying "I want to ride your other crotch rocket" on the bike . I have had educated, employed and good looking dates from match wanting a hit it and quit it after the first date.

In the months before I deployed I had a long term relationship end because I was deploying. Since the break dating was a PITA. Relationship oriented ladies lose interest when you are military.

Even when you are just a weekend warrior in the guard. If I don't mention the military only my civilian career, dress all GQ and drive out on the town in the Italian whip finding women who want a relationship is as easy as falling off a log.

The truth is that the majority of those who write me first online are indeed rather troubled and POF has the highest concentration of that type.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 115
Posted: 10/23/2012 10:39:44 AM

...tired of reading men bashing women, when they do exactly the same thing.

I think this animosity comes from the fact there are several outspoken women in these forums that insist women are 'above' the more 'animalistic' choices that they accuse Men of doing all the time. The guys outnumber the gals by a significant amount in this forum, so I'm sure part of it is a defense mechanism, too - but like you said - they do the exact same thing.

The bottom line is that a lot of us guys of us are not getting 'picked', and getting ANY attention - positive or negative - is a start towards something better. --Better than ignored, anyway.
 smilingirishgal
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2012 11:45:03 AM
The guys outnumber the gals by a significant amount in this forum
This is true and when you read the messages its blatant the guy can't take rejection. People think cos its online that its different than a bar. Its the exact same thing, you go by the looks! Reading those messages that men are writing is contradictory since men have done the EXACT same thing for years and when women complain bout it, they get called gold digger, out for a free meal and so on. I believe that men and women CAN be as bad as eachother these days.

The bottom line is that a lot of us guys of us are not getting 'picked', and getting ANY attention - positive or negative

News flash same thing happens to women on this site, unless your up for a lay in the hay (Not for all cases) most guys won't look at you. Been on numerous dates from this site and feeling better off being single. Some of the men are complete douchebags pardon the pun.
 smilingirishgal
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2012 11:48:08 AM
Like I have said previously I do believe men AND women can be as bad as each other these days.

If I was not the relationship type and just wanted sex I would have no problem finding it at all.

I do agree with this statement, hence why I really don't understand why so many people online want it for whatever reason.

The truth is that the majority of those who write me first online are indeed rather troubled and POF has the highest concentration of that type.

So true, beginning to think that myself.
 smilingirishgal
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2012 11:57:40 PM
HA HA! That was suppposed to be a quote from one of the guys responses, new to writing in the forum part. If you read above what they guy had responded to my two cents on this, then you'd have known. Not like that at all.
 DragonBits
Msg: 124
Posted: 10/25/2012 10:26:26 AM
I just wanted to share a thought I just had about short men and pics.

If a short guy would take a pic of himself standing on stack of $100 bills, it would make him look much taller. I think this would work for many women.

Not all, I am sure many would protest it doesn't matter.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 125
Posted: 10/25/2012 10:27:58 AM
captain: do you have any male friends who use this site? i have 3 or 4 guys im friends with that are all on here. occasionally we will get together and talk about our experiences.

if youre having very little luck on here, its almost always your pics. a generic, almost empty profile, with really good pics gave me the best results on here.

another theory i have is that a girl who is really a 4 or 5 in the real world somehow becomes a 6 or 7 online. thats probably why youre not having luck with women youd normally date or find attractive. it doesnt help that 8 times out of 10 the pics that the ladies post on here are older before they gained 30 pounds. dont let online women determine your worth man. go out into the real world and try your hand at meeting women there. if you encounter the same results, then your physical standards might be a little too high. otherwise, its probably an online only problem.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 133
Posted: 10/25/2012 2:19:10 PM
niceguy: great advice with your "photogenic" comment. thats actually the problem i ran into with online dating...im not photogenic at all. its funny because i tried having female friends take my pic for me and they would say i looked good, take a pic, and look confused by the result lol. out in public, my chances of meeting women are much better so i stick to that now.

the only reason i even get on the ladies about the subject is because they are so deceitful about it all. instead of saying they dont find a guy attractive, theyll say there was no chemistry. theyll say beauty is in the eye of the beholder (funny, since everyone can see ugly) and my favorite is the profile review forum. a profile is supposed to be an honest representation of you, some photos, and a little about what youre looking for, right? if so, whats the point of a profile review? if your profile is honest, there is no need for a review. if people dont like it, that probably means you arent compatible with that person.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 135
Posted: 10/26/2012 7:46:57 AM

^^^^^^^ What, is that your bedtime?

Naw, probably his birth weight... or something in Metric numbers. :P
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 137
Posted: 10/26/2012 10:36:48 AM
Sorry... that wasn't the Harley. I ate a lot of cheese & broccoli yesterday...
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 139
Posted: 10/26/2012 12:27:07 PM
I started with old beat up vehicles. I now have an Italian sports car and motorcycle. They do attract. It is the power/money being a provider instinct at play. You still have to have something else to offer.. good cars and clothes will cause an astronomically higher number of them to be interested enough to want to know more.. You have to have more than just the good job to land them but they won't date a guy who does not have it.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 140
Posted: 10/27/2012 7:23:08 AM

How many 200 or 300lb women do you message?

None... Actually they email me first.. I ignore... It is better than replying "what part of active lifestyle, no dual rear wheel option for a Ducati and my poor horse's back do you not understand?"

I don't blame women for wanting a good looking guy. I seem to do well and get compliments in real life. There REALLY is a serious disconnect between how women quantify attractiveness in real life vs online.

I don't think you can say that men are the only ones all about looks online.. Google search "your looks and your inbox" and be enlightened. Apparently women online rate 80% of guys as below medium. Extremely harsh.

Guys are much more realistic about rating. Most are average with a nearly equal number of less than and more attractive than average rounding out opposite ends of the arch. We do tend to shoot for the stars and email the more attractive ones more often.
 Acehonestlady
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2012 7:37:39 AM
Women, like men, look at the photo; though we might do so for more reasons than men.

Like men we look to see how attractive they are. But we look for other reasons even if we aren’t aware.

Although we can often be wrong we can tell the class, sophistication, intelligence, humour, friendliness and other things about a person from people’s photos. The old saying a picture paints a thousand words has some reality. Of course we can get it wrong but it is a good guide.

I can usually tell a chav from a man of more gentile distinction and an arrogant narcissist from the laid-back modest but confident type. It is often written in the face and that is part of what I take into account when looking.

I also look to see the general tone of the man in what he writes to see how it falls with what I like in a man.

I see text-talk or general unintelligence in profile I click the back button. If I see something that particularly stimulates my interest but I don’t feel attracted to him visually I would still message him.

------Turn off in photos are:
Holding beer glasses/bottles or generally making a show of boozing
holding out their mobile phone out in front of themselves to take photo in the mirror (learn to hold it at your side at hip level if you must take it yourself)
Homes that spell chav, bad-taste, lack of class
Standing with chavvy looking friends
Looking like your friend's side-kick
Using a friend as a side-kick to make you look good
Sunglasses
baseball caps
Moustaches
Topless photos
Looking miserable
looking gormless
editing out other people
other people in the main photo
being too far away
Holding a fish – yawn, yawn, yawn.

-----Turn offs in words:
Carp diem (it is not you being unique - so many men seize the bloody saying)!!!!!!
glass half full
snuggling on the sofa with red wine (I love to do so but why say so. Do you really think we believe you don’t see it as a prelude to getting in our knickers)!
clichés in general – yawn, yawn, yawn. yawn, yawn, yawn, yawn, yawn, yawn.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 146
Posted: 10/27/2012 12:30:52 PM

Although we can often be wrong we can tell the class, sophistication, intelligence, humour, friendliness and other things about a person from people’s photos.

Surface deep rush to judgement.. So typical

And

If you can "often" be "wrong", then just how reliable can this technique be?

Not very reliable at all.. Even IRL they make huge errors. On many an occasion out at lunch while wearing my uniform for a National Guard drill this has happened. I flirted the same way I do in upscale civilian attire which typically works but in uniform I received an all out snobbish response about military pay or sophistication. It sure feels good to see them turn beet red in embarrassment with their BFF's pointing laughing at them because I blew it off like I didn't give a sh&t then fired up the hopped up Maserati and left.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 148
Posted: 10/28/2012 1:39:25 AM
honestly, i think its really flippin sad that our society as a whole has become so shallow. its beyond obvious that looks are much more important than anything else when it comes to relationships and dating and thats exactly why so many of these broken people are here forever. they say they want a nice person, but they only prioritize for looks. i have two criteria when it comes to looks. the girl cant be too big and she cant look like a monster. thats about it. just about any girl who isnt grossly overweight is an attractive woman in my book. ive always been much more concerned with things that actually matter in life. like honesty, loyalty, and integrity. everyone out there searching for that almighty chemistry keeps running into douchebags for a reason.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 152
Posted: 10/28/2012 10:14:44 AM
smileznchuckles: no, im afraid it doesnt. because i have 2, very easy to meet standards for attractiveness doesnt make me shallow. as with most things in life, its the extent that people take it. this place is full of people who claim to be looking for decent people, yet only have bad experiences. all because they only pick someone based on how they look.

pig: no, not at all. i stand by what i said. if you, or others draw incorrect assumptions about me based on what i post, i dont care.
 dahlingdarling
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2012 8:53:42 PM

Except women are allowed to. Women, as a matter of fact, are privileged as to having as many esteem issues they would like and men will still treat them as humans. Meanwhile, in the realm of women, any guy possessing a mentality less than "I'm so hot"**** is vile and lower than the titular fly of the film "The Fly."

You can't speak for men; I can, however. Men are more tolerant of esteem issues because we understand that that is human and confidence can just be a facade to mask serious insecurity issues.

In my experiences both genders are allowed to whine, complain, or blame and it's not attractive in either.

Likely some guys will still treat gals with esteem issues as human beings stating guys in general is a bit of a stretch to me considering the amount of guys raping, sexually assaulting, sexually harassing, and physically assaulting gals which I don't consider being treated as a human being.

More likely it's more of gals can have as many esteem issues and guys will still f*ck them and guys are more tolerant of esteem issues because they care more about busting a nut rather than guys will treat them as human beings and are more tolerant because they understand it's human.

Most likely you can speak only for one man- yourself.
 Dare to
Msg: 159
Posted: 10/29/2012 1:01:03 AM
CaptainA.D.. Why are you constantly b1tching about things like this....

You all can think what you want but we are living proof that dating is extreamly hard on average and below average guys

If i was good looking i would get messaged daily by attractive women and they would leave their #'s. But it never happens.

When you have freely admitted that you do get contacted by attractive women but you get cold feet and bail out.... e.g

Now i do admit, i've had opportunities here. Even with some gals that find really attractive we'd message back and forth but i would just stop. I dunno, i guess i have a disorder of cold feet.
Now sh1t or get off the pot!!!!
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 163
Posted: 10/29/2012 10:37:40 AM

But a guy like me gets that assumption that a cute gal probably has 100 men in her life so whats the point? Or shes stuck up, and would probably assume she wouldn't give an average or below average guy a shot.

My reply to this is simple - How do you KNOW? -- Unless you bother getting the courage up to ask to dance, all you're doing is assuming.

-- Even if they agree to dance, there are other parts to the equation;
1) Some gals like to dance for the sake of dancing, and really don't care WHO is with them on the dance floor.
2) Some gals like to show off while dancing, and may engage you in all kinds of suggestive moves - but they mean nothing because it's a show for their friends.
3) Some may actually want to dance WITH you, which means engaging them with eye contact and such.
4) Some are drunk and horny, and are just looking for a way to burn off energy because the booze is surging the adrenaline.
Ladies are always going to be a puzzle, no matter what way you try to 'solve' it - but you will NEVER figure out what kind of dance they want to do unless you ASK them to Dance. Can't put the cart before the horse.
---------------------
Ladies; as far as the online dating thing - getting the courage to send up a simple 'Hi' message or something FIRST to a guy makes you VASTLY different from a majority of ladies out there. Some ladies fear this, because it is seen as a 'desperate' move. I say, only the true a$$hats are going to bawl you out for making the first move. Higher-maintenance ladies reinforce the stigma that guys need to spell out longer love messages with XX paragraphs and relevant references to their profiles - after a while it SUCKS going through all that work just to be ignored or get a snooty reply. If you're willing to break the ice and say 'Hi', that just advances the conversation by several WEEKS of waiting, and the guy gets a much needed confidence boost to continue the conversation. If you WANT a better conversation with someone, start one! Guys or Gals - the Fear Factor is the same on both sides of the fence - but since Men are 'expected' to initiate, and women are NOT, just think of how much different the outcome may be from flipping the expectation!
 Drawesome32
Msg: 164
Posted: 10/29/2012 10:40:31 AM
sweet_danimal: trust me man, many of the women on here are sending out messages to men.
 usernonymous
Msg: 169
Posted: 10/29/2012 7:25:42 PM
OP just proved that Women are no better than Men and that one's eyes often over-ride one's brain in the decision making process when it comes to a desirable mate.

Having read more than a few pages of posts, the funny thing I see is the ASSUMPTION that these women who would respond to the fake profile are somehow DAMAGED or have ZERO SELF ESTEEM. They must be because they are responding to this jerk's posts right? I mean a normal woman with normal self esteem would NEVER think with their nether regions because they are too smart for that superficiality right?

I mean, a real women would never stoop to the level of the average man (who often admit to judging a woman's attractiveness by their picture) would they?

I think there is more than enough stereotyping on both sides of this argument.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 170
Posted: 10/29/2012 8:16:55 PM
seanpk: thats the point im always trying to make. just about every profile i read on here is a woman saying they want "no more games" or "i want a nice guy" or some other nonsense. truth is, theyre really only deciding by your pics. there are some decent single women out there, but good luck finding them on pof lol.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 172
Posted: 10/30/2012 12:46:14 AM
When people log in many social stigma's and common courtesies disappear. Many inhibitions from them also disappear. Many guys only email the top 10's and the ladies get reverse beer goggles such that formerly average or above average looking guys are seen as below average. Plenty of studies of online dating support this.

If you guys think you can write an awesome profile and get the kind of babes online that won't give you the time of day in real life.. Well you must be smoking some real good sh&t. The reality about online dating is the opposite happens. Guys who can land dates with attractive women often times find it hard to get anywhere with them online.

In real life I have met and dated doctors, lawyers, models, pageant winners and more. Online.. it is very, very rare that I can get a response from that caliber of a profile. The vast majority of those IRL dates were actually well rounded and not your stereotypical shallow arm candy type which annoys me immensely.

Online even more so than IRL those who have some serious substance are shallow at first. Look at how many of either gender say if they like the photos they read the profile.. If they like that then they are interested. IRL at any given singles venue there are not millions of other guys to look over and you could be the best in the room.

If you are going to try online dating put on your big boy pants and suck it up.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 173
Posted: 10/30/2012 1:42:38 AM
My POF profile is hidden. I am just on the forums. I am deployed to Afghanistan, my wheels are in storage. Right now I am not exactly free to cruise on out to the hangouts of the more refined people in So-cal.

A little reading comprehension would go a long way..

I never said "SUPERmodels". Just models, some just a side job.. think better than average but not maxim's top 100 dude..

I am not Mr super mega good looking guy. You don't need to be Cruise, Clooney, or Damon's clone to have enough confidence, swagger, charisma or edge that they are willing to give you a chance.

Other sites are slightly better so I still use those but in reality POF has been worthless. My entire point is that on POF for me forget it..

Some guys on here are d-bags or take the worst possible approach. Others have more class and still strike out. Just so that second type of guy does not beat themselves up too much. I like to make the point that I do pretty good offline and poorly on POF. It is entirely possible to get everything right in online dating, have minimal results and that it is all no fault of your own.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >