Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Aussie dictionary to redefine misogyny      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GuessWhat1964
Msg: 23
Aussie dictionary to redefine misogyny Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
brienfrance wrote:

I get you don't like the double standard, nobody does, but in the last hundred years who started all the wars, who controls all the wealth

The Zionists.
 GuessWhat1964
Msg: 24
Aussie dictionary to redefine misogyny
Posted: 10/20/2012 5:12:50 PM
^^^^

Don't they have a history channel in France ?
 KittyKilledKarma
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/23/2012 3:29:51 PM
Just a quick semi-related question for you?

Does the behaviour mentioned in this article count as misogyny or is this "brainiac professor" just another jerk?
http://jezebel.com/5952624/university-of-chicago-professor-very-disappointed-that-female-neuroscientists-arent-sexier

It does, however, go a long way to strengthen my opinion that some of the brightest people in this world do or say some of the most incredibly dumb things, coupled with an often uncanny knack for regularly displaying an extreme lack of logic and common sense ... and a 1,000 apologies for my gross over-generalisation too :-)
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 26
Posted: 11/2/2012 2:51:29 AM
Ya know, if males were such a privileged gender after all over women in western societies, how come threads like these get deleted.

http://www.aei.org/article/society-and-culture/race-and-gender/obama-and-the-womens-lobby/

But any thread in comparison that's in favour of feminism in the same tone would most likely remain here forever and ever and ever?
 kmac6
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2012 4:54:49 AM
Geez if your trolling does not work in one thread you go to another. There is no point in trying to debate the topics with you as you are hell bent on stirring the pot!!
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/2/2012 2:08:06 PM
Well I thought forums are meant for debate and discussion.

But like any forum, you get the people who call others "trolls" just for simply having an opinion they don't agree with.
 flaneur001
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2012 2:46:51 PM
there is a difference between engaged repartee and cognitive masturbation.
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/2/2012 3:02:12 PM
There is also a difference between simply disagreeing with someone than there is to be a bigot and think a person hasn't got the right to express their opinion that you disagree with. Therefore, make up silly accusations and say stupid crap about their posts like "cognitive masturbation."
 flaneur001
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2012 3:14:11 PM
Let me say this simply....I disagree!
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/2/2012 3:22:44 PM
flaneur001

Let's get this clear. You're the equivalent of an American liberal, right? I don't understand Canadian politics much as I don't know if "liberal" has a different meaning in Canada. You may also possibly be a feminist.

Anyway, what I'm getting at here is that many people who are these things usually seem to be against democracy while claiming to be all for it.

They are busy running around trying to censor everyone who has an opposing opinion to their political theories.

The biggest offenders of censorship seem to be the type of people mentioned above and yet they claim they want democracy.

They are invariably the biggest haters of free speech and democracy because these things mean that they get criticised!
 flaneur001
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2012 7:14:48 PM
Who is denying your free speech? Say what you want... I just think (remember free speech!) that your thread is droll, pedantic and leaves this reader in a state of utter ennui. I'm not denying your 'free speech', I'm just stating my opinion of your thread. It's simplistic, innaccurate and immature. Frankly, I don't really care what you think. You're not interesting enough to actually have an engaged exchange with.
 absolutelyokay
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/2/2012 8:40:39 PM
Hi, had to look up what neologism meant and found this site I am sure you will love: Word Spy. Google it! I found it through dictionary.com xx
 Aardente
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/11/2012 1:03:37 AM
I agree - criticism my a male to a female can now be swept aside no matter its legitimacy.

I think perhaps we males should invert the word like african americans did the n word. That said, i think it is a battle most men don't really care for.

Also, rarely do I see the term or the term sexism used by women who are not benefiting from it - can not remember the last time I saw a supermodel argue against sexism. As controversial as it may be (awaits the sexism charge) sexism it seems is often raised by academics, the odd political figure and in litigation. I wonder what the feeling is on the street?

Not saying women are not objectified as sexual objects in western society however, I do not think men and women will ever be treated the same, there are fundamental differences (that should be celebrated). I think this is at the same time complex and simple - I do not like to see anyone manipulating others, male or female. Concerned that use of the word misogynist for political or financial gain will desensitise the broader public.

Confuscious argued women should walk on the other side of the street (I think he did), confucious the misoginist indeed.
 greyingred
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2012 1:56:11 AM

Concerned that use of the word misogynist for political or financial gain will desensitise the broader public.

Spot on, much the same as the word feminisism.
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/12/2012 2:48:04 PM
The accusation of misogyny these days is used just as blithely and foolishly as the racism card is thrown around against white people. In both of these cases, when someone is trying to claim sexism/racism in reverse, they are less likely to be considered and taken seriously.
 gingerosity
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2012 1:42:16 AM
The accusation of misogyny these days is used just as blithely and foolishly as the racism card is thrown around against white people

If you want us to consider this comparison as possibly valid, you need to define 'white people' for a start. Then tell us who is throwing the cards. Then show why this is blithe and foolish. Then demonstrate how accusations of misogyny are analagous to this.

when someone is trying to claim sexism/racism in reverse, they are less likely to be considered and taken seriously.

There is no such thing as 'sexism/racism in reverse'. Either something is discriminatory based on gender or ethnicity, or it isn't.

If you want allegations to be taken seriously you need to make a rational case with supporting evidence, not just whinge about anti-white/male conspiracies. Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/13/2012 12:31:08 PM

you need to define 'white people' for a start.

Ummm let me see, they have white skin. Still having trouble?

Then tell us who is throwing the cards

Usually left thinking people.

Then show why this is blithe and foolish. Then demonstrate how accusations of misogyny are analagous to this.

It becomes blithe and foolish because people use the misogyny and racism card based on emotion instead of reality. This explains why it becomes analogous because both cards are most likely used out of emotion rather than reality.

For an example, a while ago I made a thread based on this link - http://www.aei.org/article/society-and-culture/race-and-gender/obama-and-the-womens-lobby/

There were a couple of posters in here who were throwing the misogyny card at me. For what exactly? For agreeing with the author of the article?

Regardless how legitimate a complaint is when it comes to being supportive towards the male gender, some people will have no interest in the said legitimacy at all and just rather react with "OMG misogyny."
 Tah,
Msg: 40
All men are powerfull.
Posted: 11/14/2012 2:36:18 AM
It makes no sense at all to say just because a small handful of men hold power in the world, it means ALL men are powerful.

I don't know, but i always felt there was something harder about males than females. Whether the word powerful could relate in this instance? I'll leave it to others to erect an argument.

Someone who appears to be deleted, which would say in most probabilities they were an alter, said something all the wars being started by males.

Well, the nuke testing in 1953 that started up in australia, was the head of state female or male? the falklands war? female pm or male pm? Pakistan has long been regarded as not very friendly, ms Benizer bhutto the former pm has a few pieces to say about that

Well, if you want to go back, queen elizabeth, the mad red head dipicted in the 2nd series of Black adder, further back you go to cleopatra.

if you still wish to argue, all male leaders are brought into this world by females....wait up, i shouldnt of said that, that should of been saved to troll whoever dares respond into responding again.
 gingerosity
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2012 2:45:49 AM

you need to define 'white people' for a start.

Ummm let me see, they have white skin. Still having trouble?

Yes. There is no discrete population of white people - there is only vague clustering along a gradient due to some limited historical isolation. At most this is a relative term - 'whiter than average in Australia'... 'whiter than approximately two thirds of the world'...

The phrase 'against white people' is therefore fairly meaningless without clarification - and also misleading in its false representation of distinct populations within the skin pigmentation profile of whichever unspecified sample you're talking about.

Then tell us who is throwing the cards

Usually left thinking people.

Here you're introducing more undefined labels for people you have artificially grouped together so that you can assign to them certain prescribed thoughts/actions. I would ask for a definition of 'left-thinking people' in the context you are using it, but we're not really getting anywhere here. Suffice it to say that no two individuals think alike in all matters so any definitions you present are equally silly.

The point is: all generalisations are misleading (possibly including this one).

It becomes blithe and foolish because people use the misogyny and racism card based on emotion instead of reality. This explains why it becomes analogous because both cards are most likely used out of emotion rather than reality.

Emotion and reality are not mutually exclusive - presence of emotion doesn't in itself falsify an argument. You can be passionate or emotional about something and still be perfectly correct. It appears that you are talking about an irrational use of these terms, which is something else entirely. That is something you can use simple logic to refute.

Regardless how legitimate a complaint is when it comes to being supportive towards the male gender, some people will have no interest in the said legitimacy at all and just rather react with "OMG misogyny."

Sure, and if this description were justified they would have no problem rationally demonstrating how it was so. If there was no support for the use of the word then it could be dismissed without further ado.

The important thing for any progress to be made when people beg to differ is for both sides to be 'intellectually honest'. That is, if an argument is presented that has agreed premises, is logically consistent and supported by empirical evidence, then it is dishonest to deny the truth of the proposition. This needs to cut both ways - if they were to demonstrate that it is misogyny after all, then you would have to be willing to accept that as true. Whether we're willing to be intellectually honest depends on which has greater value to us: our opinion, or the truth.
 greyingred
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2012 8:01:43 AM
Yes. There is no discrete population of white people - there is only vague clustering along a gradient due to some limited historical isolation.

In the words of the inimitable Billy Connolly "I'm so white I'm blue".

Emotion and reality are not mutually exclusive - presence of emotion doesn't in itself falsify an argument. You can be passionate or emotional about something and still be perfectly correct. It appears that you are talking about an irrational use of these terms, which is something else entirely. That is something you can use simple logic to refute.

Oh my I enjoy reading your posts, logical and rational and fair with flare. Can I use the above quote when, being arty farty, I get a tad carried away in enjoyable debating and frowned upon by dullards, not all of whom are men, who happen to be in my opinionated opinion UTTERLY WRONG.

I often wonder if the people who bleat loudest about being sexually stereotyped are not emotionally mature people, cannot take criticism and still spit the dummy like a two year old. Ha ha, aussie dictionary to redefine misogyny, be it misapplied or not .....spitting the dna dummy. Problem solvered, next topic please.

tie_me_up81
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/14/2012 12:26:11 PM

Yes. There is no discrete population of white people - there is only vague clustering along a gradient due to some limited historical isolation. At most this is a relative term - 'whiter than average in Australia'... 'whiter than approximately two thirds of the world'...

The phrase 'against white people' is therefore fairly meaningless without clarification - and also misleading in its false representation of distinct populations within the skin pigmentation profile of whichever unspecified sample you're talking about.

I know you are trying hard to appear smart and difficult. I think it's pretty clear of what I'm talking about. For an example, who took Australia away from the Aboriginals? Yeah we can go on about what country they came from. But it's usually said "the white man took our land away".

Or when you ask certain people who are the most privileged in society, their answer will likely be "the white man". I guess they are wrong too.

Here you're introducing more undefined labels for people you have artificially grouped together so that you can assign to them certain prescribed thoughts/actions. I would ask for a definition of 'left-thinking people' in the context you are using it, but we're not really getting anywhere here. Suffice it to say that no two individuals think alike in all matters so any definitions you present are equally silly.

Not silly at all. When speaking of left thinking people I mean people who veer towards the left wing. These types are far more likely to have favoritism with minorities and women over others compared to other types of people who are simply not on the left. But hey, that's my personal opinion. You can once again harp on about it being undefined and claim it's artificial but what do you expect? Me to start mentioning names of people?

Let's look at it this way, when talking about American politics, there are liberals. If you're an American liberal, you are more likely to have favoritism towards minorities and women over others compared to someone who isn't liberal. Do all American liberals think that way? No, but when talking about these mindsets, it's more likely to come from an American liberal.

Take a look at this picture for example.

http://www.rightwingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Fiverr-JohnHawkinsBackground9.jpg

I think it's very obvious in regards of what I exactly mean. Unless you have comprehension problems or otherwise you are purposely misinterpreting it for the sake of it. The fact of the matter is that people will pull the misogyny or racist card in an instant due to how angry they feel about something without considering anything behind the opinions.

There are some people who will simply use the misogynist or racist card because they are trying to censor someone who they can't defeat in argument. Therefore use this as a diversion tactic.
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/29/2012 10:46:54 PM
As I can't create threads, I thought I would pop this in here.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/on-right-course/story-e6frf7kx-1226537191373

Sometimes I think misandry is invisible to many people while there is ultra sensitive lenses towards misogyny.

Imagine the outrage if there was a male-only or whites-only taxi service.

Double standards galore.
 Sweetandtoxication
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/31/2012 5:54:00 PM
This thread reeks of mysogyny,
Women have a place but it aint up to males to tell us where it is.
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/31/2012 6:07:11 PM

This thread reeks of mysogyny,
Women have a place but it aint up to males to tell us where it is.

Feel free to elaborate.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Aussie dictionary to redefine misogyny