Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Obama/Romney...the world is wondering.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sweetest
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Obama/Romney...the world is wondering.Page 5 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

He supported Obama in 2008 as well..not much of a Republican...

^^^I guess you missed that I noted the General is 'once again' supporting the President.

If you think that the General is alone in finding he can't support Romney, you should think about reading and sourcing information beyond right-wing media sources. There are many instances that I've read of staunch 'Republicans' terrified of what a Romney administration represents.

Btw, scoff all you want. As I said before if the Republicans lose (or even if they win) this election, it will be a loooooooooooong time before they can afford to put forward that 'typical white middle-aged male' candidate, as support among their typical base of 'white males' is dwindling.

The world and the US is becoming 'brown' and it's within this group that they better find a way to articulate the conservative message. <-Get used it brotha!

The Republicans have a problem with Latinos, women and just about everyone except 'white middle-aged men'. If they they lose this race, they had better start November 7th, in grooming candidates within those constituencies that represent diversity of thinking as well as candidates being a member of diverse groups.

Most thoughtful Republicans know this, and this is why Rubio, Jindal and others are gaining importance in their party. However, when it comes to the superb candidacy and the breadth of experience that the General brings, they simply don't compare.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 102
Obama/Romney...the world is wondering.
Posted: 10/25/2012 6:24:55 AM
they had better start November 7th, in grooming candidates within those constituencies that represent diversity of thinking

Let me jump the gun with the conservative response:

Remember that GHB did appoint Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court, the GOP did throw Herman Cain against the wall as a 2012 candidate, Condoleezza Rice was GWB's secretary of state...and then, of course, there is that free thinker Colin Powell (showning you can't get everything you want)...then there's Mr Romney's folder full of women.

edit for below:

As to Powell voting for Obama, that simply means that Powell is a racist just like the rest of the black constituency

Well, there ya go...Colin Powell is a racist...along with 98% of black voters...who said racism is dead?
 grizzelda
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 7:02:10 AM
IMO, the big fear of anyone considering voting for Romney should be about who is going to show up on Jan 20th to be sworn in if he wins. I cannot believe that anyone who legitimately supports him is not having some serious concerns about his constant flip flopping on all issues. He has not stayed the course on any significant issue over the past 6 months, he plays to what ever crowd he is in front of, and changes his sales pitch to what ever demographic he is standing in front of at that moment in time. I am not talkign about using buzz words that will resonate better with some people than others, we are seeing major ideology changes. This should be an indicator of who this guy is.

TBH, I believe that he sees this presidential race as a giant take over sales pitch and is trying to sell his product by switching his pitch to match the room. I have a very hard time envisioning who Mitt Romney will be after he recieves the "check" from the American people to lead the country. I think what the American people are seeing is a very good board room sales pitch from a guy who never had to do all the things he promised, those things were done by the take over teams that came after he sealed the deal, he was the front man, selling the product, selling a concept, sealing the deal.

While Romney has made a pretty good pitch, the concern should be what he will become after the public realises that there is no clean up team to come in after the champaigne, photo ops and big giant checks on January 20th.

What I think you will get is a man that is not going to be able to lead any better than Obama for very different reasons. While Obama has struggled mainly with partisan politics, a economic state that has crippled most of the world, not just the US, unprecedented instability in many countries around the world, and a huge deficit left by a party that wrote giant checks for a war they never thought about how they were going to pay for, Obama has been relativly consistent in his long term goals.

Romney however has repeatedly shown the American Public that the only thing he is consistent about is his inconsistentsy and I see that creating a huge amount of potential problems with his own party let alone how he is going to deal with the opposition. I believe that Romney is way more of a centrist than he is indicating and this will start to creep into his policies, I can also see his tendency to pander to who is in front of him to create many divisions in his own party, he can only make so many promises before he starts to step on some serious political toes.

I dont think it would be much of a stretch to see cracks in his own party starting to show up. He has sold so many versions of himself, eventually someone will realize that they got sold a pig in a poke and that they arent going to see their agenda pushed forward like they were promised. Then the infighting, back biting and crazies are going to start looking for some answers.....
 RushLuv
Msg: 104
Posted: 10/25/2012 9:02:32 AM
If anything, women should be highly concerned about a Romney presidency as him and his party are working to overturn women's rights if Romney is elected POTUS. Just look at the recent comments from Todd Akin, and that "d*ck" Richard Mourdock.

The irony is that Romney, and Ryan wants to distance themselves from Mourdocks controversial comments, yet wants to put a dent in women's right to choose. The idea of my children, and grandchildren living in a world where their rights as women have been stripped, is both disgraceful and horrifying.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 105
Posted: 10/25/2012 9:21:38 AM

BO was supposed to take us beyond race, but since he's been in all we talk about is race. On this topic alone,

I guess that is why Sara palin has made a covert appeal to all the white racists out there; eh!
 Aries_328
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 1:56:04 PM

Romney is pandering for votes in his stance on abortion. A fetus created through date-rape is still a soul that has been initialized. Yet MR would permit an abortion in that case. That's hypocritical of the view that life is sacred.
Just keep America pro-choice.

That is not hypocritical. It is acknowledging life and that its complicated. It is also not using the Government to determine morality. What is hypocritical is calling it tissue despite the fact that as a human being you know that it is a human life. It doesn't matter what you 'definition' of life is. It is life. It doesn't matter that it requires the mother to finish cooking in the oven to survive. It is life. Life is a **** and people are not perfect so bad things happen and that has to be acknowledged and dealt with humanly and that does even include allowing abortion. That in no way changes the life to mere tissue and is not hypocritical.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 2:25:10 PM
I don't see any real indication that Romney and the GOP intend seriously to "overturn women's rights."

I very much see a standardized patter from the bulk of them, designed to appeal to the more hard-line anti-abortionists, while refusing to actually promise decisive action. Killing federal support for Planned Parenthood is another ploy to get their base to think both that they are serious about trimming the budget, and to imply to the farther right folks that they will continue their game of paying lip service to conservative social issues, knowing full well that to change things as thoroughly as the Democrats would like women to fear they will, would require far more than even a majority in both houses of Congress, and the Presidency.

Both parties, like pretty much all politicians, work very hard to energize people to vote them in for a variety of causes, only a few of which they actually intend to put serious effort into.

It's very much akin to the game they play with the military: pin flags on lapels, chant their "thank you for your service" mantra, and then refuse to fund even enough money to see to it that the Marines get their basic, extremely low paychecks on time; and wait until there's a News Service Scandal about the poor quality of medical care that the military still gets, without even driving the few miles up the street from Congress to visit them in person, and see how poor their care is.

Republicans are primarily all about trying to reduce government spending, and taxes on the wealthy, because they genuinely believe that the world has not changed since 1955, and that if they accomplish those things, that the entire world will magically become wonderful. Everything else they just talk about, is designed, like the pandering mantra, to get certain groups to vote them into power so that they can do those two basic things.

They certainly don't want to eliminate women's rights, because they want the women's votes. They just want the anti-gay and anti-feminist folks to THINK that they intend to destroy all women's lib related things.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 2:36:32 PM
The mother of the rapists child is a human being too. So, having to endure the indignity of rape is'nt enough for you religious righties...

With your version of morality , she'll be reminded of that rape everyday she is made to carry that rapists seed to term. Where is the concern for the mother? I get the feeling you righties just view women as baby machines.
 Aries_328
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 4:16:32 PM

he mother of the rapists child is a human being too. So, having to endure the indignity of rape is'nt enough for you religious righties...

With your version of morality , she'll be reminded of that rape everyday she is made to carry that rapists seed to term. Where is the concern for the mother? I get the feeling you righties just view women as baby machines.

Man... read. You said its a choice right... that literally means some will 'choose' to keep the baby regardless of what you think. That person and choice and decision is just as valid. The resulting human being is not of less value nor to be deprived of life and liberty.

Are you understanding my point?
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 4:58:35 PM
I am understanding your point. A person is a human being regardless of the circumstances of his or her conception. This includes rape. If the mother CHOOSES to bring the pregnancy to term and give birth to said child.

If a woman CHOOSES to have this baby she may. She may also CHOOSE to terminate the pregnancy. Your point is that she now has a choice in this matter. Since she has a choice, I'll assume if she exercises her choice to get an abortion that is also good with you?

After all, is she also not a human being? Does she not have a right to make such personal decisions without governmental interference? I asked these questions myself about candidates proposing such legislation regarding abortion. I thought if these candidates [ Romney/Ryan, Mourdock, and in my state Josh Mandel]. Can get away with doing this to women then what might they try next?

That is why I am exercising my right to see they dont attain office. Not just by not voting for them but also by campaigning for their opponents.
 Aries_328
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 5:15:55 PM
If a woman CHOOSES to have this baby she may. She may also CHOOSE to terminate the pregnancy. Your point is that she now has a choice in this matter. Since she has a choice, I'll assume if she exercises her choice to get an abortion that is also good with you?

I have never said anything different. There are extreme party people that would prefer that all are outlawed. That isn't likely possible nor is it a good decision.

There are extreme party people that say all abortion regardless of term should be legal because the baby is not human and is just tissue. That is disgusting, vile, and should be rejected by anyone with even half a conscience.

Law is not the standard of what is right / wrong nor of morality. It's just our attempt to keep society together and functioning relatively healthy in an agreed upon way.

That is the difference.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 9:15:45 PM
Romney is a Mormon and it is odd to me that so many Christians are willing to vote for him. According to most religions they see Mormonism as a cult.

Has anyone else given this any thought?

Anyway, in researching a bit tonight I came across this author on you tube and her book. She is the daughter of a Mormon Bishop.

“Can Mitt Romney Serve Two Masters? The Mormon Church Versus The Office Of The Presidency of the United States of America.” by Tricia Erickson

Erickson’s book also covers the White Horse prophecy and a variety of other Mormon rituals that call into question where Romney’s allegiances lie. As Erickson states, “While he attempts to portray Mormonism as just another Christian Religion, Mitt Romney counts on his skills to shift our attention away from what he truly believes. If the American people knew what he truly believed, they would surely not place him in the highest office in the land.”

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/addpost.aspx?SID=lhwc1xykzq2swnnx4ihmbz55&PostID=15635137&x=38&y=0
 Aries_328
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 9:39:05 PM

Romney is a Mormon and it is odd to me that so many Christians are willing to vote for him. According to most religions they see Mormonism as a cult.

Haha, Of course. Honestly, it's actually better for us that he is. The beliefs in Mormonisim are so far out there that it absolutely prevents him from using it as a basis for discussion. Run of the mill Christians have no problem saying, "this or that is or comes from the bible." Romney actually can't do that. It really helps to keep it off to the side as far as being anything related to a justification for legislation.

Penn Jillette said it best... "Batshit crazy beliefs."
http://bigthink.com/ideas/41033
I tried looking up his claim that the most religious president was 'Bill Clinton'. Couldn't find the reference.

When Atheists grow up and learn how to have a basis for morality that includes support for the value of life as well as a natural basis for liberty and the rights of people to choose their own path other then, because government says so, then you may find someone worthy of being elected president. Until then, batshit crazy wins... for a reason.
 DRKKNGHT193
Msg: 114
Posted: 10/26/2012 12:59:08 AM
I fail to see the point of your generalization due to its lack of merit or facts when the entire Afghanistan War has been War by proxy via Religious Fundamentalism that has been promoted in our armed forces. Also, Religion has started wars way before any Atheist was around. Regardless, your close-minded attitude is right out in the open.

Religion has produced Genocide, Slavery, Sexism and Greed without anyone else's help. The religious right is the most hypocritical part of the GOP alone, it makes me vomit people like you give them credence when they are our homegrown taliban.

And until then we Atheists will continue to think those who submit to a God and wish to enforce it as an "American religion" are hypocrites, when you wrap it in a flag and package it as "Liberty".

unYOUsual
Msg: 115
Posted: 10/26/2012 4:50:30 AM
"It has been adopted into non-Afroamerican speech, with a reference to behavior adopted in order to avoid criticism."....

You libs are all a bunch of chicken littles when it comes to racism...most of you posting on here are about the same age as Palin or close to it as am I, my Father used that terminology on me whenever I tried to make up BS about why I did or didn't do something..both of us are white..HMMMMMM
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2012 5:23:54 AM
The only way to test whether or not someone who uses a phrase like 'shuck and jive' as a part of their subconscious racism, or as a normal way to discuss people who avoid direct answers to questions, is to observe them over a long enough period of time, that you can confirm whether they use this phrase all the time, with everyone who prevaricates, or if they reserve it for people of color who they refuse to respect.

I can't say if Palin (that's who I've read as saying this) or anyone else used it in a racist way or not, because I've never heard her quoted as applying that term to anyone else, at any time. If she has, then clearly she fits the "it's become a universal reference to avoidance behavior" group. But if she only used it on Obama, then she might benefit from some honest, non-egotistical introspection.

Being knee-jerk in ANY direction is still being Knee-jerk, and not being rational. That includes both being anti-racism, AND being anti-anti-racism.
 amohsin8
Msg: 117
Posted: 10/26/2012 6:35:52 AM
Obama has continued the policies of his predecessor on nearly every front. Voting is an exercise in futility. Both parties are funded by Wall Street and serve the interests of the moneyed elite. Nothing will change regardless of who wins the election.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 118
Posted: 10/26/2012 6:53:08 AM

Mormonism is not so much a cult; as it is a heresy.

No true fundamental christian would endorse or vote MR; if his/her religion plays a big role in their lives.

To secular christians (aka: Milk & cookie christians); MR is not seen as a threat or viewed in disdain because few of them adhere to religious doctrine to begin with.

Racists or Neo-con christians would rather see a 'heretic' in office rather than see a "Ni99a", regardless of the consequences.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2012 7:39:10 AM
Meanwhile 1.4 million have pledged to write in "Jesus" as their candidate of choice this time.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unreasonablefaith/2012/10/vote-jesus-2012/
 DRKKNGHT193
Msg: 120
Posted: 10/26/2012 8:24:47 AM
@hithere: Your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. Without you having all the facts or read half of the stuff the Military Religious Freedom Foundation has had to deal with. There is a huge fundamentalist and evangelical streak in the Armed Forces. Do your due diligence or shut the hell up.
 ORALROBERT2
Msg: 121
Posted: 10/26/2012 8:33:36 AM
People in this section of the world are wondering when Mr. Obama is going to take ownership of the lybian murders. What will Mr. Obama do? Send Mrs. Clinton to the firing line? CW tells us that the regime will provide the citizenry with a scapegoat by next week. Is Mr. Obama still blaming that movie? How about a comic strip? Hmmmmmm. Not much MSM attention. Only one alternative ; complete rejection of Mr. Obama, his tendancies and regime. Mr. Liquor merrily brings race, once again to the forefront; REALLY? People died, Mr. Obama lied.
 RushLuv
Msg: 122
Posted: 10/26/2012 9:02:04 AM
If Romney wins, he'll be moderate for the first term...and not the hard core conservative that the left is touting.

Phony Romnesia has done an excellent job of fooling people about his political views, and stances.

During the final debate, Romnesia moved more to the left by falsely adopting Obama's stance on foreign policy, and refused to tear down Obama on Libya because he got his ass spanked by Obama and Candy when they made him look like an utter fool in the second debate.

Romnesia has changed his stance on every key issue, including the economy, foreign policy and women's rights. Now he's adopting Obama's "Change" slogan from the 08 election.

Yes, there will be major "changes" from a Romnesia presidency that will send America straight to the gates of hell.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 123
Posted: 10/26/2012 9:02:36 AM
^^^^^^
This thing just keeps on rolling into a bigger ball of lies and more lies.
Now it's revealed that the CIA asked for help when explosions were first heard in Benghazi, and were told to stand down !!
It looks like the 2 operatives that went to help the ambassador were in fact disobeying orders.
More to come, , ,
 Aries_328
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2012 9:31:04 AM
@yule

No true fundamental christian would endorse or vote MR; if his/her religion plays a big role in their lives.

Really, watch the whole video. Magic pants and everything

Penn Jillette said it best... "Batshit crazy beliefs."
http://bigthink.com/ideas/41033

I am amazed. Republicans and Democrats really are summed up by their party mascots.

Democrats really are jackasses. Constantly braying at how that rich white guy's gunna screw you. See him, he hates you. He's going to ruin your life. See that rich white guy, he hates you neeeeeeeehhhh.... He's stealing from you, take it back. neeeeehhhhh

Republicans really are Elephants and will never forget that the history of the Democrats is that same group of people that wanted to return to British rule, that looked to Socialisim as a better way, and saw communism as utopia that is achievable on earth.

We don't have genetic memory. Our memory is society. We have mixed ideas so many times over the past few hundred years but no matter how many times ideas were mixed and even platforms switch sides, the basic divisions between the parties has existed since we started.

If you had to match up today
http://staff.gps.edu/mines/APUSH%20-antifederalists_vs_federalists.htm

Move strong standing Army over to AntiFederalists

Maybe thats just me.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2012 9:59:45 AM
In listening to the debates Mitt Romney seems to be out of touch with most Americans. While Obama's first debate was unimpressive I still do not see what people see in Romney. All I see is a man too rich to have a clue as to what America needs to be able to create good paying jobs, reduce poverty, and get the economy growing again.

Tax Policy Center in Spotlight for Its Romney Study

That study found, in short, that Mr. Romney could not keep all of the promises he had made on individual tax reform: including cutting marginal tax rates by 20 percent, keeping protections for investment income, not widening the deficit and not increasing the tax burden on the poor or middle class. It concluded that Mr. Romney’s plan, on its face, would cut taxes for rich families and raise them for everyone else.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tax-policy-center-spotlight-romney-173604062.html
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Obama/Romney...the world is wondering.