Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > My onlline Conversations contacts above inbox are not showing anymore?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 STAYREALOK
Msg: 26
My Conversations above inboxPage 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I certainly hope this is temporary .... this site seems to be going backwards since I joined!
 GlobalGirlLooking
Msg: 27
My Conversations above inbox
Posted: 10/23/2012 11:30:41 PM
They seem to take more away than add features.
 Usually_Smiling
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/24/2012 2:13:55 AM
I too think that this feature is important and should be brought back.
It was one of the useful features on PoF.
Some people have suggested that it should only list people that you want to know are online. There was a simple way to get it to do this, by simply blocking and unblocking someone who you didn't want to have showing up on the bar.
The online or viewed me pages are useless for showing which friends are online, because it often takes a lot of scrolling to find them, or they are hidden to everyone else and don't show up there.
 Marlee13
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/24/2012 3:14:05 AM
yes where are the conversation above inbox, they all disappeared
 somethingmoreinhfx
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/24/2012 5:03:06 AM
POF is a free site so they generate their revenues from advertisers who place ads on the site in hopes that users will view them and buy their products. The recent change to not showing who is online that I have previously chatted with will lead to me being online less frequently, which will in turn lead to me seeing less advertising and potentially using less of the advertiser's products/services. Previously, if I saw that some of my recent conversations were online I would tend to stay on POF in hopes that we could strike up another conversation. With this ill-conceived change in POF policy where we can no longer see who is online, many users like myslef will simply resoirt to logging on to check our messages and then logging off. POF will suffer fewer page views for their advertising and their advertising revenues will decline. Bad move POF!
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/24/2012 5:13:23 AM
I used to block users whom I wasn't interested in just so I would not see that little green button telling me they were on line...now I no longer have to do that to protect myself from cyber-snooping...to me I've been given a sigh of relief.
 somethingmoreinhfx
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/24/2012 5:26:04 AM
So how will you now know when the people you do want to chat with are online?
 Body_Mind_Soul_n_Heart
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/24/2012 5:27:31 AM
I am missing the conversations with members previously above inbox also :(

To please everyone be nice to see a feature where when you log in you can activate this option to show online or deactivate to be online but not show.

Just a thought.

Annie, Australia :)
 lolawants54
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/24/2012 6:07:31 AM
Blocking users may help you out with cyber snooping, but if indeed they try to message you they will know they are blocked! This may cause more problems then what you want. I suggest people add to there favorite lists and check periodically to view who is on line!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/24/2012 6:32:15 AM
Protecting the privacy of POF users against bothersome cyber-snoopers outweighs the desire of people who wish to see EVERYONE online with whom they have chatted. If one is truly "best pals" with the person with whom they wish to chat...simply add EACH OTHER to your Favorites list. That lets you chat as much as you want while still respecting the safety and privacy of others. Thank goodness POF halted the cyber-snoopers.
 Pinky127
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/24/2012 6:42:43 AM
It seems im in the minority but i couldn't care less who's online coz when i want to email someone i just do it regardless of whether they're online,or not.......

*shrug*
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/24/2012 6:48:05 AM

of people who wish to see EVERYONE online with whom they have chatted. If one is truly "best pals" with the person with whom they wish to chat...simply add EACH OTHER to your Favorites list.

Zactly! And if one is not a friend whom one wishes to talk and chat with...simply remove the profile from your favorite list....easypeasy.
 melaniefox
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/24/2012 7:00:48 AM
This sucks,, I want to be able to see if people I communicate with are on line. POF isn't making enough money on the thousands of ads on their site or what? Now they are trying to force everyone to upgrade? Piss on that!!!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/24/2012 7:58:38 AM
melaniefox...simply add EACH OTHER to your Favorites list.
You will then see each other online as easily as before...yet preventing cyber-snooping by others.
This was clearly a safety and convenience measure.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/24/2012 8:18:22 AM
Seriously its the truth if they took this feature away there is nothing that makes this dating site better than Cupid

The one thing this site does have over others is the number of members - more members equals more possibilities of meeting someone who is compatible.

I say good riddance to the green dots.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/24/2012 8:48:00 AM
louloubelle...men and women on POF don't necessarily wish to BLOCK people.
POF users simply wish modest privacy to interact with others without introducing mistrust and hurt feelings.
Meeting a variety of people is how people here might uncover the best partner for them. It takes time.

For example, if you date a man ONCE for coffee, should he now be able to see EACH time you come online?
If you *really* want that insight...make him a Favorite and ask that he similarly Favorite you. Very easy.
You can then Chat/IM all day without impacting the privacy of others being impacted.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/24/2012 9:10:06 AM
if someone "snooping" worries you, block them. simple

I don't believe blocking someone prevented them from seeing that you were online and vice versa via the green dots. I agree most of us do not want to block a bunch of people. In the 3 yrs I have been on this site I have not felt the need to block anyone.

I agree with Eric - I think it is better to be able to be on this site without everyone you have messaged in the last 20 or 30 days being alerted to it via the green dots. I would think that women who are trying to reduce the number of unwanted messages from the persistent pests would find this more beneficial than the male membership.

Surely, a solution can be found whereby each user is given the option for themselves...ie, appear offline.

One of the things I found dissappointing was that even though your profile was hidden you still showed up as online to those who you had recently contacted. If they were going to keep the green dots then hiding your profile should prevent you from showing up anywhere accept for those you have on your favorites list.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/24/2012 9:10:28 AM
@ dorsetdavid^^^ Best guess, to stop on-line pests who bombard people with messages just because they know they are currently on-line. It's the instant gratification crew who have no respect for sending a message and letting the recipient reply when it's convenient.

Lots of people have requested the removal of this information. Many end up blocking others just so this information about their on-line status isn't so visible. It seems enough people wanted it gone for the change to be made.

The information can still be found by either via the Favorite lists or by opening any conversations still in your Inbox. The green online indicator is still shown in both of those places, it's just no longer summarized at the top of the Inbox.
 BlueEyedBaby63
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2012 10:33:42 AM
So, block them.
 cinna703
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2012 1:52:50 PM
To the Moderator........Why is it that only SOME people have the online chat/"my conversations" feature disabled? I hopped online, looks like no one I've chatted with is online but I get messages right away and the guys have told me they can still see the “my conversations” bar….that stinks. If you think that will get people to upgrade, I think you're mistaken. I agree with SOMETHINGMOREINHFX, you depend on advertisements and they depend on people seeing them. I’ll be on POF a lot less now. Takes too much time to figure out if anyone is online to chat. Switch it back or give people the option to disable it.

No idea - we ARE NOT notified of any system changes, glitches or have control of any site functionality - we simply try and maintain a civil environment in which to post - if you have issues , email csr@pof.com.

See note at top of this forum "Moderators will have limited understanding of how new features work. I(admin) create and test new features in a matter of hours and constantly tweak things to see how they work. Many new features will be in a constant state of flux. Should a feature not enhance the site it will be removed. "

As to all the "YOU" accusations, tell them to csr@pof.com after re-reading the above paragraph.

Eric_Summit
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/24/2012 2:41:35 PM
cinna703...do you primarily concentrate on men who are online on POF?
Another easy solution is to arrange to MEET them live rather than electronically.

"...I’ll be on POF a lot less now. Takes too much time to figure out if anyone is online to chat..."
 christine4551
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/24/2012 3:33:16 PM
Mine has to. I wish we could find a way to fix this any one has any ideas?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/24/2012 3:37:54 PM
christine4445, make your best friends "Favorites" here.
Simply have them ALSO make you their "Favorites" on their page.
You will be able to easily fine each other to IM/Chat.
 wuddever
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2012 4:07:09 PM
bad 1 not happy with there decision to change a well used part of there site
 OakleyMelissa
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/24/2012 8:50:49 PM
That's frickin hilarious......
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > My onlline Conversations contacts above inbox are not showing anymore?